Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Oxyclean posted:

I'd love to have some time to play around with and level Pictomancer and Viper before the expansion proper drops, but I suppose it's to the benefit of zone congestion that new jobs pull a few people away from MSQ on day 1.

That's what the early access days are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Countblanc posted:

To me what seems insane about continuously adding jobs is it means they'll just have to always make 2+ new weapons for every drop, forever. Most games don't have unique weapons per class so like, designing a new Sword can be useful for multiple classes, but in FFXIV it exclusively helps 1 of 20 jobs.

I could see them eventually doing more split jobs down the line that share a weapon like SMN/SCH solely to reduce the number of totally unique weapon designs. I know they said they would never do something like that again but that was also before they totally split all the actions out to make them entirely separate jobs

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

That's what the early access days are for.

But the early access days also let you do the story, so it's the same problem of "I will want to do MSQ once early access starts, but for now, I have free time."

WoW has usually had a period where they'll drop an expansion preparation patch a few weeks ahead of time that basically contains the expansion, but obviously walled off. With the last two classes they added, they let you level them during the prep period, and usually they have some event quests for the leadup.

XIV's early access seems just goofy by comparison, because for all intents and purposes, it might as well be launch day, right? Like you have access to the expansion zones, story and new jobs. There's no extra cost or special condition to get it, just so long as you preorder or buy during the early access period, you can get it. Not that I would say this is a bad thing (I really hate games that have been charging extra to play early.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have a hard time seeing them dropping to 1 job simply because new jobs are (by their own admission) the #1 selling/hype point for new expansions and they don't have anything they can use to replace that. It means more work for them but unless they have something else that is as huge a draw as jobs they're kind of stuck.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The eyeglasses slot is already implemented in the benchmark. There's no NPCs using it though.

Notably when they added space in player model data for it they added 2 slots, not just one, so maybe eyeglasses + something else.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

They'll never add less than two jobs per expansion, even if they run out of ideas, because jobs are what sell the expansion to the people who don't give a poo poo about the story

I care about the story, but also, Leveling Jobs is my favorite activity. It's why I want them to find a way to add some kind of prestiege system, letting you re-level a Job you already hit the cap on. No benefits, just, you can do it all over again.

gay devil posted:

I could see them eventually doing more split jobs down the line that share a weapon like SMN/SCH solely to reduce the number of totally unique weapon designs. I know they said they would never do something like that again but that was also before they totally split all the actions out to make them entirely separate jobs

Unless something changed, that won't happen. Archer was supposed to work the same way, and split into Bard and Ranger, but the whole split into Summoner/Scholar for Arcanist was more hassle than it was worth, so the plans were scrapped.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

aers posted:

The eyeglasses slot is already implemented in the benchmark. There's no NPCs using it though.

Notably when they added space in player model data for it they added 2 slots, not just one, so maybe eyeglasses + something else.

Maybe the back fashion accessories? Wings, endwalker backpack......more wings.....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

I care about the story, but also, Leveling Jobs is my favorite activity. It's why I want them to find a way to add some kind of prestiege system, letting you re-level a Job you already hit the cap on. No benefits, just, you can do it all over again.

Unless something changed, that won't happen. Archer was supposed to work the same way, and split into Bard and Ranger, but the whole split into Summoner/Scholar for Arcanist was more hassle than it was worth, so the plans were scrapped.

The issue with Arcanist was that they had to keep sharing the same basic skills. You could probably get away with like "Crusader uses the same Greatsword as Dark Knight but doesn't share any actual moves."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Mechanically, and graphically, SMNs and SCHs have different books anyways. They'd either have to overhaul the entire basis of their job system, or clone a bunch of assets and change some numbers on them.

They've done the latter a few times, but things have typically been more unique since on the weapon side.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The issue with splitting scholar and summoner is that they probably could do it, but the effort outweighs the benefit. Sure it would be nice to not have that weirdness but it's not really causing any major problems so why invest Dev time in fixing it when you could use that resource elsewhere.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Something did change, they completely split out every action so there are no shared actions to worry about balancing and removed attribute points entirely.

They used to struggle balancing one job without affecting the other in some way. Since the reworks, the Ruin that SCH gets is not the same Ruin SMN gets anymore. They have different base potencies and are treated entirely separately. Current SCH shares exactly 1 base Arcanist ability with SMN and that is Resurrection. Every other action is separate.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

aers posted:

belts are coming back

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

gay devil posted:

Something did change, they completely split out every action so there are no shared actions to worry about balancing and removed attribute points entirely.

They used to struggle balancing one job without affecting the other in some way. Since the reworks, the Ruin that SCH gets is not the same Ruin SMN gets anymore. They have different base potencies and are treated entirely separately. Current SCH shares exactly 1 base Arcanist ability with SMN and that is Resurrection. Every other action is separate.

…wait, so why does SMN’s heal continue to suck rear end, then?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Belts are never coming back, cosmetically their space is already taken by the torso slot and they needed the armory chest space for every other slot.

Now I'm curious if glasses are held up in the head slot, it would make sense.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

belts are coming back

Imagining the art team feverishly working on new gear, equipment texture updates and dye channels for existing gear, and who knows what else. Yoship pokes his head in the door and says "hey guys, you know all those old chest slot items with built-in belts? Split the belts out so we can add them as glamour slot items. Thanks!"

At the back of the room, someone begins to weep.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Personally, what I kind of want is like a "job log" - the achievements for running stuff as a tank have been a nice sort of incentive to play those jobs rather then defaulting to a lazy/comfort class, but inadvertently make me feel like I'm "losing value" by not doing roulettes as the tanks that need achievement progress. I sort of wish there were some small incentive to play all the jobs, either in something similar to the tank achievements, a record of total duties done as a job, or a checklist if you've completed a duty as a specific job or role. (Though I worry this might drive completionists mad.)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

because they’re not a healer class

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Apparently they're having a DDOS today.

https://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/c5069c5b9c8968da0e1251846a5a3fec140b5350

Translation:

2024/05/06 09:30

Notice of Network Outage Due to DDoS Attack (5/6)
We have confirmed that a network outage is currently occurring due to a DDoS attack.
We are currently confirming the attack method and taking countermeasures, and will inform you again as soon as there is any progress.
The following is a description of the situation.

Date and time: Monday, May 6, 2024, from around 22:00

Impact:
The worlds located in Japan, North America, Europe, and Oceania data centers may be disconnected.
・It may be difficult to log in to the worlds located in the Japan/North America/Europe/Oceania data centers.
There are cases where there are difficulties in connecting to the Japan/North America/Europe/Oceania data centers and sending/receiving data.
Target: Final Fantasy XIV users

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Because it scales off of Mind, and Intelligence is the main stat for Summoner.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

Belts are never coming back, cosmetically their space is already taken by the torso slot and they needed the armory chest space for every other slot.

I assume they'll still be counted as Headgear but will have a special tag that lets them be put in a cosmetic-only slot. There's probably not enough armory space otherwise, and I imagine completely changing the equipment type of a bunch of items would give the database a headache.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

theres a new glasses UI they are probably not real inventory anymore

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Regalingualius posted:

There's no healer primal, duh.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

It still only scales off mind even though the SMN physick is a separate action from the SCH physick with separate potencies

Ojjeorago posted:

There's no healer primal, duh.

Phoenix!!!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

gay devil posted:

Phoenix!!!

Rekindle even does party healing! Though iirc it's still pretty mediocre, even if it isn't as pointless as Summoner Physik.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

gay devil posted:

Phoenix!!!

Fire and resurrection? Phoenix is clearly a Red Mage.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Apparently they're having a DDOS today.

https://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/c5069c5b9c8968da0e1251846a5a3fec140b5350

Translation:

2024/05/06 09:30

Notice of Network Outage Due to DDoS Attack (5/6)
We have confirmed that a network outage is currently occurring due to a DDoS attack.
We are currently confirming the attack method and taking countermeasures, and will inform you again as soon as there is any progress.
The following is a description of the situation.

Date and time: Monday, May 6, 2024, from around 22:00

Impact:
The worlds located in Japan, North America, Europe, and Oceania data centers may be disconnected.
・It may be difficult to log in to the worlds located in the Japan/North America/Europe/Oceania data centers.
There are cases where there are difficulties in connecting to the Japan/North America/Europe/Oceania data centers and sending/receiving data.
Target: Final Fantasy XIV users

https://twitter.com/mitsurugi137/status/1787514966016471466

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Thundarr posted:

Rekindle even does party healing! Though iirc it's still pretty mediocre, even if it isn't as pointless as Summoner Physik.

It's actually not bad. Both the aoe pheonix effect and the rekindle heal are pretty decent.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The heals are a decent amount, the problem is you can't really use it on-demand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, you can't use it on demand and you can't really save it without loving your rotation to all hell so it's effectively "kind of nice if it lines up."

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

aers posted:

Square has finally listened to the predominantly near-naked playerbase and are bringing the 1.0 underwear slot back.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

aers posted:

Glasses and a sunglasses slot and your character switches between them depending on lighting conditions obviously

Regalingualius posted:

They want it to

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Actually wonder if they have to separate out the glasses that are purely cosmetic lvl1/all classes from the ones that are actually meant to be used as gear at some point

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Countblanc posted:

To me what seems insane about continuously adding jobs is it means they'll just have to always make 2+ new weapons for every drop, forever. Most games don't have unique weapons per class so like, designing a new Sword can be useful for multiple classes, but in FFXIV it exclusively helps 1 of 20 jobs.

There's probably a world in which they solved this by adding new jobs which are diegetically just different "builds" for existing jobs, like a more melee-focused red mage or cast time-having sniper machinist or whatever, but it'd probably be next to impossible to pivot in that direction at this point.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

They could probably get a good amount of milage by leveraging the variant classes and jobs that already exist, like Temple Knights, as mechanically identical but reflavored options. They'd need to add different animation sets and action names, but could use the same effects.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

Actually wonder if they have to separate out the glasses that are purely cosmetic lvl1/all classes from the ones that are actually meant to be used as gear at some point

I'm really hoping they don't merge existing models into the new system. I want to wear double eyepatches!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

I'm really hoping they don't merge existing models into the new system. I want to wear double eyepatches!

You'll wear a blindfold and you'll like it.

Please look forward to it.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

:blush:

e: at least buy me dinner first

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

:blush:

e: at least buy me dinner first

But of course! And some square grapes for dessert!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

drat. The DDOS is STILL happening. At this point, they may as well just shut the servers down, and start maintenance early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I made it to the character screen!