Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al! posted:

poo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

not yet........

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Speaking of Pulitzers this year's are being announced today at 3 pm eastern... from Columbia University.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

we stand here today in a fully occupied university to award this here prize to insert dipshit corporate press

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Willa Rogers posted:

Speaking of Pulitzers this year's are being announced today at 3 pm eastern... from Columbia University.

Lmao

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's very obvious that there has been a top down order to stop publicizing the protests, because some of the biggest things have happened since friday and they are either way down on the news sites or not covered at all

- emory faculty voted no-confidence on the president, today they moved commencement to off campus
- this morning police cleared UCSD camps
- Columbia cancelled commencement
- Harvard said that students who did not leave the camps would be placed on "involuntary leave" and not be able to take finals
- 17 Princeton students started a hunger strike
- there are now camps on oxford and cambridge.
- Georgia State and U of Michigan removed students with pro-palestinian messages from commencement

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Dozens of students arrested at UCSD. The protesters are trying to occupy a building now

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
i call em poolitzers

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Especially funny because they'll be for all the articles where journos were weeping that none of the mean teenagers would talk to them

And when they say that I assume the journalists were all told to talk to the desginated media liaison and they're just mad they can't get an inarticulate protestor to look stupid for them

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This looks like a pre-emptive strike to counter all the pro-Israel award winners tba later today; I hope I'm wrong!

quote:

A Statement From the Pulitzer Prize Board

As we gather to consider the nation’s finest and most courageous journalism, the Pulitzer Prize Board would like to recognize the tireless efforts of student journalists across our nation’s college campuses, who are covering protests and unrest in the face of great personal and academic risk. We would also like to acknowledge the extraordinary real-time reporting of student journalists at Columbia University, where the Pulitzer Prizes are housed, as the New York Police Department was called onto campus on Tuesday night. In the spirit of press freedom, these students worked to document a major national news event under difficult and dangerous circumstances and at risk of arrest.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KomradeX posted:

And when they say that I assume the journalists were all told to talk to the desginated media liaison and they're just mad they can't get an inarticulate protestor to look stupid for them

no story here! time to move on

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

This looks like a pre-emptive strike to counter all the pro-Israel award winners tba later today; I hope I'm wrong!

"Called onto the campus Tuesday night", for a party or an awards ceremony, right?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

joepinetree posted:

It's very obvious that there has been a top down order to stop publicizing the protests, because some of the biggest things have happened since friday and they are either way down on the news sites or not covered at all

- emory faculty voted no-confidence on the president, today they moved commencement to off campus
- Harvard said that students who did not leave the camps would be placed on "involuntary leave" and not be able to take finals
- Georgia State and U of Michigan removed students with pro-palestinian messages from commencement

- the Chicago school arrests Atrocious Joe posted earlier + the UCSD students arrested in the parking garage

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

joepinetree posted:

okay, but MAN OR BEAR?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Last year's Pulitzer winner for International Reporting was the NYT, "For their unflinching coverage of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, including an eight-month investigation into Ukrainian deaths in the town of Bucha and the Russian unit responsible for the killings."

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

okay, but MAN OR BEAR?

wait aren't all bears men?

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

In Training posted:

Columbia just cancelled their commencement

that police occupation sure did them a lot of good

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The protest/encampment at NYU was cleared out last Friday and nothing on the same large scale has replaced it since then. The very heavy police presence in the area was likely part of the explanation. I'm sure there have been smaller scale protests though.

However it's the end of semester and leases are up for a lot of students, and it's not like you can just find an affordable apt easily in NYC, on short notice. A lot of students might just have to leave town for the summer or become de-facto homeless.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pink Mist posted:

Nobody wants to end up like Claudine Gay so they're doing everything the opposite she did. Gay faces years of litigation.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pink Mist posted:

It's because none of the skull cracking or baseless arrests or antisemitism accusations were about graduation or exams, it was all to appease the donors and political class

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Toronto's is only growing, as I imagine are others outside of the US and/or that started later. There was an obnoxious bagpiper in the vicinity yesterday morning although I have no idea if that had any connection or if it was an obscure gaelic holiday.

I imagine protests at schools with trimester systems or lots of summer courses will continue absent brutal policing.

what should I follow to keep up on Toronto’s? social media is a disaster

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Anthony Balogna posted:

For sure self-control. Not so much on the ethics; but, as AnEdgelord said: it's actually of tremendous strategic importance that these protests remain disciplined.
If anyone were to pop off on the protestor’s side, it would immediately make Israel and Zionists the “good guys” in so many loving morons’ smooth brains, and also, the police would immediately open fire on all of the protestors, with the complete backing of the aforementioned smooth brains.

Hence why my triple dog dare still stands!

I disagree. The Zionists already are seen as the good guys in this situation even after becoming violent and hurling racial abuse at protest

and the White House itself has referred to the protestors as antsemtites and as terrorists.

I'm not advocating that the campus protests turn violent, they should do all they can do to remain peaceful, but they also shouldn't modulate their behavior in order to meet the impossible standards of a group that is opposed to them. They could spend the whole protest helping old ladies cross the road and getting stuck cats out of trees, and they'll still end the day with a cops baton cracking their skulls. Violence, whether it's against those trying to put boots on necks or against physical property is a valid part of protest, if for no other reason than it serves as a reminder to those in power that they do not necessarily have a monopoly on violence.

Tl;dr

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

okay, but MAN OR BEAR?

lets rock!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Dreylad posted:

lets rock!

lol

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

das hipster posted:

I disagree. The Zionists already are seen as the good guys in this situation even after becoming violent and hurling racial abuse at protest

and the White House itself has referred to the protestors as antsemtites and as terrorists.

I'm not advocating that the campus protests turn violent, they should do all they can do to remain peaceful, but they also shouldn't modulate their behavior in order to meet the impossible standards of a group that is opposed to them. They could spend the whole protest helping old ladies cross the road and getting stuck cats out of trees, and they'll still end the day with a cops baton cracking their skulls. Violence, whether it's against those trying to put boots on necks or against physical property is a valid part of protest, if for no other reason than it serves as a reminder to those in power that they do not necessarily have a monopoly on violence.

Tl;dr

Not taking the bait isn't the same as being a white moderate you loving fed

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
something that has been driving me nuts about sympathetic liberals is that they've all taken the great man theory of history to such an extreme that a comparison between modern protesters and historical protesters cannot be contemplated honestly. MLK was not just a guy who dedicated himself to the civil rights movement. he was a mythological figure from a time of heroes that no longer exists because history is over.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

joepinetree posted:

Not taking the bait isn't the same as being a white moderate you loving fed

I wasn't saying that they should take the bait, they 100% made the right choice by expelling the child killer peacefully. My point was that if they had chosen a less peaceful response they would have still be in the right to do so.

Running a protest by following the rules of what is acceptable as dictated by the ruling class is the quickest way to make your protest ineffective.

das hipster has issued a correction as of 19:04 on May 6, 2024

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think that crowd of 20 something should.have murdered that guy based on 3 minute old rumors. I know I would have if I was there.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I am totally not a fed, I just think protests should follow the direction of agent provocateurs. It's french, must mean "true lefty"

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

joepinetree posted:

I am totally not a fed, I just think protests should follow the direction of agent provocateurs. It's french, must mean "true lefty"

That's fair and I deserve that, I worded that poorly and it wasn't my intention to say that the protesters should choose violence so my apologies for that. I mostly read this thread to stay up to date and to learn, so I'll stick to that and stop making GBS threads up the thread now.

das hipster has issued a correction as of 19:23 on May 6, 2024

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://x.com/pslnational/status/1787526190170849737?s=46

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

unshockdingly uw isnt going to be cutting ties with boeing

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/times-watchdog/university-of-washington-rejects-protesters-calls-to-cut-boeing-ties/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

theyd have to shut down all their academic programs designed to funnel people into boeing

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Al! posted:

theyd have to shut down all their academic programs designed to funnel people into boeing

i.e. the entire university?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Al! posted:

events like this culminating in the industry awarding itself prizes and mewling how important it is without acknowledging who has been doing the important work and who theyve been getting killed by ftw. the western press is rotten to the core yet they think themselves so valuable to democracy lol

More and more the hit film Civil War is looking like a documentary.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Meanwhile just saw this

quote:

Another Palestinian journalist was killed in an Israeli airstrike on the Gaza Strip on Monday, taking the death toll to 142 since last October, the government media office said.

Mustafa Ayad, a photojournalist, lost his life in an attack targeting his house in Zeitoun neighborhood in Gaza City, the media office said in a statement.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/middle-east/another-palestinian-journalist-killed-in-gaza-death-toll-rises-to-142-since-oct-7/3211270

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also like of course the White House is going to smear them and cops are going to beat them, that's what they're there for. Doesn't mean they can't still win public sympathy, keeping the protests going and explanding; not to mention that we might not really want an escalation in revolutionary adventurism

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Theres a reason I said "Disciplined" and not "Peaceful". Ultimately the Protest movement must do what is best to achieve their objectives, sometimes that will mean peaceful protest and sometimes that will mean some level of violence. The point is to make sure the movement is disciplined enough as a group that they can deploy whatever strategy is necessary at any moment without a bunch of yahoos going off half-cocked and ruining everything. It's also especially necessary because discipline is a useful counter strategy to agent provocateurs that WILL show up

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Gina organizes with a lot of the folks who are doing organizing around homelessness, she is legit even if I don't see eye to eye with her electoral strategy anymore. I hear they are charging all these people with burglary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Gina organizes with a lot of the folks who are doing organizing around homelessness, she is legit even if I don't see eye to eye with her electoral strategy anymore. I hear they are charging all these people with burglary.

kind of waiting for biden to swoop in and drop terrorism enhancements on all of the organizers