Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Sancho Banana posted:

Channel 12 is saying the ceasefire proposal includes a permanent end to the war, so that makes sense. Hamas is just reaffirming the demands they've always had, now it's up to Israel to respond.

If the Ceasefire includes a permanent end to the war this is the single most incredible military victory in the entire arab-israeli conflict, this is a bigger thing than 1967 in terms of the effect it will have. it's a literal military miracle by an arab force. This is a victory that will be a descriptor the same way 'Stalingrad' is.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 18:09 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024

Al-Saqr posted:

If the Ceasefire includes a permanent end to the war this is the single most incredible military victory in the entire arab-israeli conflict, this is a bigger thing than 1967 in terms of the effect it will have. it's a literal military miracle by an arab force.

That's why it's probably not going to happen. Israel is still going to murder Rafah

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Last time I linked an OHCHR report on Facebook I was almost instantly notified that it potentially violated the community guidelines on violent and graphic content and would be moved lower in the feed.

Edit: It just happened again. Facebook is specifically targeting OHCHR reports for censorship. :lmao:

quote:

The experts noted that Israeli forces had also destroyed Gaza’s largest fertility clinic, reported to have been storing 3,000 embryos.

Embryos are also Hamas?!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

judging by the replies to this, a lot of israelis have had enough of the government prolonging this

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i wouldnt celebrate anything until israel responds

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

HallelujahLee posted:

It appears Israel is already rejecting the deal per the link just posted

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

HallelujahLee posted:

Channel 12 says Israel rejects the ceasefire outright

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

oh my bad i didnt translate that post

yeah i agree with the other poster this was to call israels bluff

Officials tell networks Kan, 12 and 13 that the terms Hamas accepted are not those that Israel agreed to.

According to the networks, the offer Hamas has accepted is one made unilaterally by Egypt and is not being taken seriously in Jerusalem before the details are clarified

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

SplitSoul posted:

Last time I linked an OHCHR report on Facebook I was almost instantly notified that it potentially violated the community guidelines on violent and graphic content and would be moved lower in the feed.

Edit: It just happened again. Facebook is specifically targeting OHCHR reports for censorship. :lmao:

lol this is (partially) why they banned tiktok

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
According to Haniyeh's advisor, the proposal includes "a ceasefire, reconstruction, the return of the displaced and the release of prisoners"

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1787529870609613142?t=NYPwQ4-mvqMelpZoPSam0Q&s=19

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sancho Banana posted:

According to Haniyeh's advisor, the proposal includes "a ceasefire, reconstruction, the return of the displaced and the release of prisoners"

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1787529870609613142?t=NYPwQ4-mvqMelpZoPSam0Q&s=19

wow Hamas is winning bigly

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024

Al-Saqr posted:

wow Hamas is winning bigly

:smith:

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

you’re basing it off the promo video which we all were making jokes about the lack of PPE when it came out? you actually thought they should have shown the activity of a real workshop while they’re being bombed?

the point it is important for hamas to be seen to be accurate and credible, any information they release is going to be checked for veracity because they know the western media will jump on them for being lying terrorists on the first slip up

I think there are two things to care about to fully understand what is going on. The first is accurate information, the second is complete information. It's clear that information from Israel has been massively inaccurate. I buy the argument that it is important for Hamas to be accurate, yet it is also in their best interest to not always provide complete information. So even if the information is accurate it is important to keep in mind that you are probably not seeing everything.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

tetSUOOO posted:

That's why it's probably not going to happen. Israel is still going to murder Rafah

stfu

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The phrasing on all of the "Hamas refuses a ceasefire with their unrealistic demands (for it to be permanent) means they are responsible for continuing the war" reporting is driving me crazy. It's like the Onion but printed sincerely. Just bald-faced refusing to acknowledge the logic of their own statement.

American commentators trying to suggest that a temporary ceasefire is good enough because then it can become a defacto permanent ceasefire are also a joke, as if anyone believes America is willing to lean on Israel to get that done. If they wanted that, they could make Israel agree to a permanent ceasefire up-front. I've never seen a more naked example of trying to hide the truth by calling it "complicated" because they're not allowed to observe reality.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

why are you sad? It's a good thing

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

these are the previously known terms from 3 days ago btw, don't know if this is what hamas agreed to or not. especially with the last line, but info is scarce right now

quote:

DE-ESCALATE IN PHASES
The initial stage of the deal would last for 40 days. Hamas would start by releasing female civilian hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.

After this first batch, Israeli troops would withdraw from a coastal road in Gaza and head inland to facilitate the entry of humanitarian aid. This would also allow displaced civilians to return to their homes in the northern Gaza Strip. Hamas would provide a list of hostages who are still alive during that time. Israel estimates that Hamas is holding about 100 hostages and the remains of 30 others either killed in the Oct. 7 Hamas attack that sparked the war or who have died in captivity.

Within the third week, both sides would start indirect negotiations that aim to restore permanent calm. Three weeks into the first phase, Israeli troops would withdraw from central Gaza.

NEXT STEPS TOWARD PEACE
The second six-week phase would seek to finalize arrangements for a permanent calm, the release of all remaining hostages held by Hamas, both civilians and soldiers, in exchange for more Palestinian prisoners. The soldier hostages would not be released before the start of the calm.

The third and final stage would include the release of the remains of deceased hostages still in Gaza, more prisoners held by Israel, and the start of a five-year reconstruction plan. The plan says that Hamas would agree not to rebuild its military arsenal.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i imagine Hamas agreed to the one with a permanent ceasefire and complete withdrawal

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024

Al-Saqr posted:

why are you sad? It's a good thing

I dont think it's real, im sorry. I feel terrible now

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah I doubt Hamas would agree to voluntarily not rebuild their arsenal given what happened.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Sancho Banana posted:

so yeah israel is rejecting this lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah I doubt Hamas would agree to voluntarily not rebuild their arsenal given what happened.

also agree with this

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Dolash posted:

American commentators trying to suggest that a temporary ceasefire is good enough because then it can become a defacto permanent ceasefire are also a joke, as if anyone believes America is willing to lean on Israel to get that done. If they wanted that, they could make Israel agree to a permanent ceasefire up-front. I've never seen a more naked example of trying to hide the truth by calling it "complicated" because they're not allowed to observe reality.

we already had the temporary ceasefire and prisoner exchange but weirdly israel kept bombing and abducting people anyway

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
this sicko is about to start talking. wonder what he has to say about the ceasefire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHR5rftmMOQ

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

holy poo poo

aljazeera reporting tbag third phase of plan stipulates total lifting of gaza siege and blockade

woooowwwww

hamas has literally freed gaza

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

tatankatonk posted:

so yeah israel is rejecting this lol

Unfortunately, yeah I don't see Israel agreeing to this

Al-Saqr posted:

holy poo poo

aljazeera reporting tbag third phase of plan stipulates total lifting of gaza siege and blockade

woooowwwww

hamas has literally freed gaza

I really, really do not see Israel agreeing to this. But just the fact that Hamas is demanding it shows they understand the weakness of Israel's position.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

also total withdrawal of all israelis from all of gaza between second-third phase

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
The hostages families threaten to "burn The country" if Netanyahu turns the deal down. Whatever answer he gives, a lot of people are gonna be pissed.

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1787535003842216400?t=6g40Tnhz9Gp3DoXE4dg_Vw&s=19

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

VoicesCanBe posted:

I really, really do not see Israel agreeing to this. But just the fact that Hamas is demanding it shows they understand the weakness of Israel's position.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

Unfortunately, yeah I don't see Israel agreeing to this

this plan was drafted by Qatar and Egypt and was absolutely shared with the US every step of the way, israel may not agree but theyre completely cornered diplomatically. Hamas has completely checkmated israel strategically.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

this plan was drafted by Qatar and Egypt and was absolutely shared with the US every step of the way, israel may not agree but theyre completely cornered diplomatically. Hamas has completely checkmated israel strategically.

that means that somebody in Washington at least tacitly ok'ed it. Rather surprising in that sense

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1787536453146132962?t=sfOCbF0pkCGhxmP3wphDMQ&s=19

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Al-Saqr posted:

maybe they know Israel will reject it, so they say "look we're even agreeing to disarm, you're getting everything you want Israel" and let them publicly reject it

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the US has been pushing the garbage 6 week deal

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

there is no doubt also that the iranian strikes and the student protest movement absolutely spooked washington into re-examining their stance not becauae theyre nice but because the position is becoming untenable.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Israeli protestors with relatives who are hostages are talking about burning the country if the deal is not accepted

https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1787536433835594155?t=6RkvL2KGqj48-g-QaLcY9w&s=19

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

that means that somebody in Washington at least tacitly ok'ed it. Rather surprising in that sense

The US was really hoping this would be wrapped up quickly, which is why one of their first responses after October 7th was to lean on Egypt to help "evacuate" Palestinian civilians out of Gaza (aka ethnic cleansing). The fact that this has dragged for months is a huge problem for them.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Al-Saqr posted:

there is no doubt also that the iranian strikes and the student protest movement absolutely spooked washington into re-examining their stance.

This too

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i still dont see genocide joe doing anything if israel rejects this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Al-Saqr posted:

there is no doubt also that the iranian strikes and the student protest movement absolutely spooked washington into re-examining their stance not becauae theyre nice but because the position is becoming untenable.

the it's scared meme but instead of a bug it's Mayor McCheese