Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

When the Greek financial crisis was going on and the news was full of stories like 'Greeks have a lot of vacation time and big pensions' as if it was bad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DaysBefore posted:

Lazy Greeks still refusing to work. Maybe some more austerity can get them to shape up

The usa and EU are heading towards years of alienated, unemployed young males. This always works out fine for a country like that.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Academia is unbelievably bad. I was dragged in front of an academic integrity board as a grad student because a professor thought I had used too many citations, and only later discovered he put a certain amount of students in front of the dean every semester to retain his reputation as a critical and unwavering professional or whatever.

He provided me with single word feedback on my work all semester but meticulously compiled 30 pages of “evidence” I had to defend in the hearing. He cared more about asserting his status to the rest of the faculty than actually teaching, hence the disparity of effort. It was a pretty harrowing experience, but I don’t think it made me feel like I had passed through a ritual and belonged, it just really loving pissed me off at the Canadian Forces College and RMC.

That feeling of being subject to the whims of brilliant people at the top of their profession who are using you as a prop to prove their brilliance only increased as I went through further studies. It’s just like, in that movie Whiplash, if you’re young, and impressionable, and believe the hype about the institution, you’re willing to accept it and pass through that sort of process.

What pissed me off is discovering how much we DIDN'T learn in undergrad that is crucial to know professionally because hardly any professors have ever worked in industry. We learned about the design of gears but never touched bolted joints and for some reason mechEs weren't allowed to take the manufacturing methods class (glorified shop class) because the department insisted only industrial engineers would possibly need to know how things get made

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

LeeMajors posted:

absolutely. I’d be gone already if the health insurance wasn’t at least *relatively* good and inexpensive. At least covering pediatric stuff for my kiddo.

:twisted: Exactly as designed

Mr Hootington posted:

The usa and EU are heading towards years of alienated, unemployed young males. This always works out fine for a country like that.

We have constant mass shootings and it actually is working fine thank you.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Justin Tyme posted:

What pissed me off is discovering how much we DIDN'T learn in undergrad that is crucial to know professionally because hardly any professors have ever worked in industry. We learned about the design of gears but never touched bolted joints and for some reason mechEs weren't allowed to take the manufacturing methods class (glorified shop class) because the department insisted only industrial engineers would possibly need to know how things get made

But I bet all of the purple paint (unless this is a :canada: thing) and ritual hazing was still there, yeah?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Germany is a criminal state.

Germany is able to ban anybody it wants in Europe, and no EU member can object lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Merry Monday. I have found the link between rap battles and DOOMSDAY ECONOMICS

https://twitter.com/DRBoguslaw/status/1787508375070134760?t=zkNIe-0qMjbpS-jAcxHzIQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/DRBoguslaw/status/1787513441164345532?t=p21HSnPK9wcFehHTvt2n4w&s=19

There was some transaction that took place between 2021 and 2023

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

But I bet all of the purple paint (unless this is a :canada: thing) and ritual hazing was still there, yeah?

I was a returning adult so didn't bother with all that college culture bs, never heard of any purple paint. In retrospect I think all the talk of "weed out classes" is baloney too and when people say "weed out" they mean "you actually need to study and know the material to pass college chemistry/physics/statics unlike in high school"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

jesus christ these demands are loving abysmal

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

jesus christ these demands are loving abysmal

The demand for the Frito-Lays strike was to go from 7 day work weeks with mandatory overtime to 6 day weeks with mandatory overtime, and no more scheduling 3 shifts within a 24 hour period.

Labor is in a sad sad state.

May 6, 2024

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has issued a correction as of 17:51 on May 6, 2024

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

I don't understand how $59,384 is the median U.S. salary.

There are so many low-paying jobs that make half that. $60k seems high.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

err posted:

This includes tech-bros and millionaires that skew these statistics OP.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

is pepsi ok posted:

The demand for the Frito-Lays strike was to go from 7 day work weeks with mandatory overtime to 6 day weeks with mandatory overtime, and no more scheduling 3 shifts within a 24 hour period.

Labor is in a sad sad state.

Frito Lay couldn't possibly afford these wage hikes.

*charges 7 dollars for a bag of Doritos with barely any seasoning on it*

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

err posted:

They only count full-time employees. That cuts out tens of millions of Americans who are underemployed, working multiple gig jobs, etc.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They only count full-time employees. That cuts out tens of millions of Americans who are underemployed, working multiple gig jobs, etc.

That makes sense.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

classical music also. if you want a secure, permanent seat with a major (unionized) orchestra or theater you have to practice your rear end off for 60-100 hours a week, getting paid by no one for it. then you have to go through the gauntlet of multi-day auditions where everyone is playing everything perfectly, and it's up to the whims of Taste who advances each round. then you have a 1-3 year probationary period where you have to be a perfect musician and colleague before your eligible for the real contract.

Plus you have to pay your own expenses when you travel to cities for auditions, often with last-minute notice that means last-minute air & hotel pricing.

050624_2
May 6, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 18:11 on May 6, 2024

050624_2
May 6, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Brimruk posted:

100 hours/week for 122k is like $25/hour and I'm guessing 122k is what they pay in NYC and other coastal cities. $25/hour an hour is what you can make in my Midwest state as a dental hygienist. Seems like a better deal but then I guess you do have to live in the Midwest and not do coke with sociopaths

these jobs come with an unstated understanding that if their new hires sacrifice their 20s, they can be an EVP by their early thirties and from there on it's coasting and grifting. That's honestly a better deal than Medicine which is sacrificing your twenties to be horribly overworked and stressed half to death and you don't even have the benefit of being in a respected profession anymore

050624_2
May 6, 2024

050624_2
May 6, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

When the Greek financial crisis was going on and the news was full of stories like 'Greeks have a lot of vacation time and big pensions' as if it was bad lol

no one ever asked how a country of 10 million was somehow a threat to the entire european union.

like if anyone has ever been to greece the last thing you'd ask yourself is "how are these swarthy Mediterraneans affording all of this luxury?" Greece is nothing but saudi yachts and stray dogs.

050624_2
May 6, 2024

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the goal should be to work as little as possible. unless youre having fun doing it

050624_2
May 6, 2024

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

OSU hired a Bitcoin grifter to give their commencement speech, and it went about as well as you would expect

https://twitter.com/jackfromohio/status/1787516559306441082?t=-XETZUBDki31lhqLl8leIA&s=19

https://twitter.com/rooster_ohio/status/1787492766945067206?t=lEcmiLCpm4WnERwsLLZghQ&s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

That's why it's not a big deal Columbia cancelled their commencement, nobody wants to go listen to Alan Dershowitz speak.

050624_3
May 6, 2024

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has issued a correction as of 18:19 on May 6, 2024

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Plus you have to pay your own expenses when you travel to cities for auditions, often with last-minute notice that means last-minute air & hotel pricing.

on the plus side, these write-offs meant I didn't pay any income tax for years

on the minus side, I didn't rake up enough quarters of SS contributions to be eligible before moving out of the country, so I won't be able to return upon retirement lol

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Germany is able to ban anybody it wants in Europe, and no EU member can object lol

Downside is that it takes about a year of training and apprenticeship to be a mod in Germany, you have to belong to a mod club and pay dues, upside is that there are huge fines for modsass.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

the popes toes posted:

Downside is that it takes about a year of training and apprenticeship to be a mod in Germany, you have to belong to a mod club and pay dues, upside is that there are huge fines for modsass.

they also make you buy your own mousepad

deranged

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DaysBefore posted:

that’s right. Greeks have had it too good with their siestas and long naps. it’s good we took em down a peg but perhaps the EU didn’t go far enough.
let’s privatize their hair care. make it sting

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

rudecyrus posted:

https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1786272981058220187
the answer is that it's good for the capitalists, right

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wtf
Kansas City Grocery Stores Ordered to Stop Selling Illegal Fabuloso Disinfectant Products | US EPA

www.epa.gov - Mon, 06 May 2024 posted:

2024-05-06T12:00:00Z

LENEXA, KAN. (MAY 6, 2024) – On April 15 and 16, 2024, the Kansas and Missouri Departments of Agriculture, in partnership with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), ordered 17 grocery stores in the Kansas City area to stop the sale and distribution of certain Fabuloso household disinfectants, as well as other disinfection products.

EPA says that the products were illegally imported into the U.S., are noncompliant with federal law, and may represent a danger to consumers.

“EPA and our state partners are committed to protecting customers from potentially dangerous pesticide products, especially in areas already overburdened by pollution,” said EPA Region 7 Administrator Meg McCollister. “This includes taking swift action to prevent ongoing sales of illegal disinfectant products.”

According to EPA, the illegal Fabuloso products contain an active ingredient, glutaraldehyde, that is not authorized in the U.S. as a household disinfectant, because of potential health risks, including throat and lung irritation, asthma and difficulty breathing, dermatitis, nasal irritation, sneezing, wheezing, burning eyes, and conjunctivitis.

The joint state and EPA inspections that resulted in the “stop sale” orders revealed illegal Fabuloso products being offered for sale at multiple grocers in the Kansas City area that serve Hispanic communities.

The unauthorized Fabuloso products had labels primarily written in Spanish. A U.S. version of Fabuloso, with labels in English, contain an approved active ingredient that is authorized for sale in the U.S. Some of the stores that were inspected were selling both the authorized and unauthorized products.

Other violative products identified during the inspections and placed under a stop sale order include:

• 48 Horas Prevencion Antibacterial Clorox

• Clorox Ropa

• Royal Pine

• Pinol el Original

• Cloralex El Rendidor

• Axiom Complete

• Golden Essence Multi-Purpose Antibacterial Wipes

The stop sale orders issued to the grocery stores require them to remove the illegal products from store shelves and to cease all further sales and/or distribution.

If you have recently purchased a Fabuloso product that makes disinfectant claims, or any of the other listed disinfectants, check the product label to ensure that it is registered with EPA (all EPA-approved disinfectants have unique registration numbers). If the label does not include an EPA registration number and/or indicates it is not approved for sale in the U.S., contact your waste provider for disposal options. Fabuloso products that do not make anti-viral or anti-bacterial disinfectant claims are not regulated and can be used according to their directions.

Under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), producers and distributors of pesticide products must register the products with EPA and must include required labeling on the products. It is illegal to sell any pesticide that is not registered and/or does not contain required label contents. Any products claiming to kill viruses and other pathogens are considered “pesticides” under federal law.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Still need to crush the citizenry.
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1787545497734938963?t=RRGdmtIiSg33cUHy-xxxvA&s=19
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1787545503804051919?t=wJ4DOHrcDKTQ703CsxCTAA&s=19

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

SHE’S YELLEN BECAUSE HE’S BARKIN

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hello
https://twitter.com/tracyalloway/status/1787539988340523224?t=RLdn2YJwPUW79yFq-a05HQ&s=19

Mortgage rate down to 7.25%. Sure that will help shelter

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

They cannot seriously be named Barkin and Yellen. Pull me out of this loving simulation right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nitevision posted:

They cannot seriously be named Barkin and Yellen. Pull me out of this loving simulation right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm6GiHomqG4&t=4s