Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Smart lights are the only good smart appliance. Being able to change light temperature (and color!) on a whim loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

mystes posted:

I'm not sure why you're in the bathroom with them but if it bothers you that much maybe you should just cover up that light switch with something?

Hey I've considered it. But I know I'm just being weird, and you really gotta choose how much weirdness you inflict on other people.

Also I'm not in the bathroom with them but it's a 600 sq ft apartment and nothing can happen here without all present parties knowing about it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just navigated my way out of the study with a candle because the light switch is on the wrong side of the room.

Thanks for reading, lightailures.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

artsy fartsy posted:

My apartment has a drop ceiling and harsh retail-style panel lighting (and every single bulb is a different temperature, somehow) and I pretend it doesn't exist, I have lamps for days. It's way more pleasant and also de-emphasizes the terrible concrete floor that looks like it came out of somebody's lovely old garage.

Sometimes someone will come over and turn on the overhead lighting in the bathroom and I am filled with RAGE, but just try explaining to someone why they shouldn't be using your lights, it can't be done

The only time I keep my overhead lights on in my apartment is if I'm cooking or cleaning. At all other times, the overhead lights are OFF.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My dream is to live in a house where I keep all the lights off all the time except for salt lamps. They don't have magic powers but I like that they are naturally dimmed, by the salt. So I'd just live in a pink salt light cave permanently. All the windows would be blocked completely, get the sun out of here. Part of the dream is sleeping whenever I feel like it. So light is always the same intensity and color (low, and warm) and I never know if it's night or day and I never leave that house and never turn on a computer again.

I probably have depression though.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Hellblazer187 posted:

My dream is to live in a house where I keep all the lights off all the time except for salt lamps. They don't have magic powers but I like that they are naturally dimmed, by the salt. So I'd just live in a pink salt light cave permanently. All the windows would be blocked completely, get the sun out of here. Part of the dream is sleeping whenever I feel like it. So light is always the same intensity and color (low, and warm) and I never know if it's night or day and I never leave that house and never turn on a computer again.

No that sounds perfectly normal and desirable to me, a person who definitely doesn't also have depression

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

big black turnout posted:

No that sounds perfectly normal and desirable to me, a person who definitely doesn't also have depression

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

Hellblazer187 posted:

wonder if I could brick up several of my windows with salt

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mordiceius posted:

My wife and I loving hate overhead lights (they're homophobic)

If it wasn't for the rule that you could only get thread titles from the stories...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't think kids starve to death by having a late dinner.

How are 10 and 11 year olds incapable of putting a TV dinner in the microwave, or making a cheese sandwich, or whatever.
This is the correct answer. Freezer full of TV dinners (yeah, I'm old, too), bread, peanut butter and jelly, cereal, milk. They are fully capable of feeding themselves. You could even parent up and teach them to use the oven to make frozen pizza!

mystes
May 31, 2006

artsy fartsy posted:

I had this vibe going with my parents for a while--cool with Mom, loathed Dad for how he behaved during my childhood/teen years. It kinda felt like it was us (kids and Mom) against him for a long time.

A few years back some stuff happened and it dawned on me that, for all her good traits, she 100% allowed him to be a dick to us kids. Even though she was the organized one, the one who raised the kids and ran the household and did all the menial labor AND kept a steady job (Dad flitted from one poorly-thought-out venture to another, and always had Mom doing the bookkeeping and other boring parts of his terrible business ideas) she still treated him as the boss, the final decision maker. She was educated and employed, not trapped in the marriage--it's like he was her third, helpless child that had to be coddled and taken care of, but also The Man in the marriage, so of course we all need to be the bigger person and just take what he dished out.

She did seem like an amazing parent, compared to Dad. I wonder if that's what's happening here with the OP or if I'm just trying to see something familiar.
I guess you can argue that logically a parent who's that committed to covering for another abusive parent is just as morally complicit as the abusive parent, but they're still likely to be less unpleasant to actually be around, so in that situation someone could decide to go no contact with both parents, but I think they could also just decide that the father is over some threshold of being unpleasant to be around where it's not worth it, but the mother isn't.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is the correct answer. Freezer full of TV dinners (yeah, I'm old, too), bread, peanut butter and jelly, cereal, milk. They are fully capable of feeding themselves. You could even parent up and teach them to use the oven to make frozen pizza!
If the OP isn't willing to be in the kitchen with them and supervise them and there's nobody else around, I think that's arguably a little young to use the oven or stove unsupervised. But the microwave should be fine.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 7, 2024

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Smart lights are the only good smart appliance. Being able to change light temperature (and color!) on a whim loving rules.

:hmmyes: it’s this

You can even set them to turn on at a specific time if you need a little help getting up in the mornings

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have occasionally considered getting smart light bulbs for my bedroom overhead light, ideally with a physical remote switch so I could turn them on/off from bed, but I would need to get three bulbs and set them up to work together or something. Is that easy to do?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

comforthawk posted:

wonder if I could brick up several of my windows with salt

just put tinfoil on them

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mystes posted:

I have occasionally considered getting smart light bulbs for my bedroom overhead light, ideally with a physical remote switch so I could turn them on/off from bed, but I would need to get three bulbs and set them up to work together or something. Is that easy to do?

Yeah, I use Philips Wiz bulbs because they’re relatively cheap (about $10-ish each) and don’t need a centralized hub device.

They’re primarily app-controlled, but you can add remotes into the system or set default behavior for when they get turned off at the switch, group lights together, etc.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't think kids starve to death by having a late dinner.

How are 10 and 11 year olds incapable of putting a TV dinner in the microwave, or making a cheese sandwich, or whatever.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Whoa, whoa, slow down there buddy. Do actual parenting? That sounds like way more work than just dumping it on their free babysitter step-sibling.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

mystes posted:

If the OP isn't willing to be in the kitchen with them and supervise them and there's nobody else around, I think that's arguably a little young to use the oven or stove unsupervised. But the microwave should be fine.

It's kind of iffy at that age. My 10-year-old is currently in the kitchen making himself some ramen on the stovetop (they all have a second dinner after I cook dinner, goddamn growing children!). All three (10, 11, and 14) know how to use the stove and microwave, but are still a little wary of the regular oven. They can for sure heat up soup or SpaghettiOs, boil noodles, make grilled cheese sandwiches, or use the microwave for just about anything that can be microwaved. Those kids should be able to make microwave mac & cheese or a hot pocket or something.

Then again, this same 10-y.o. using the stove almost caught the microwave on fire one day because he forgot to add water to his instant ramen and the package burst into flame. I was in the other room and averted a crisis but it freaked him out bad. So I guess you have to make sure they know what they're doing, but they're kids, they'll still probably gently caress something up every now and then.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Yeah, I use Philips Wiz bulbs because they’re relatively cheap (about $10-ish each) and don’t need a centralized hub device.

They’re primarily app-controlled, but you can add remotes into the system or set default behavior for when they get turned off at the switch, group lights together, etc.
Interesting. The fact that they rely on wifi seems a little weird but I can get a 3 pack of white-only wiz dimmable bulbs for $26 and a remote for $12 so I might do that.

It looks like there's a slightly better deal on the similar kasa bulbs with 4 color changing bulbs for $23 on amazon right now but there doesn't seem to be a remote for those (there's a switch but it has to be wired).

Troublemaker posted:

It's kind of iffy at that age. My 10-year-old is currently in the kitchen making himself some ramen on the stovetop (they all have a second dinner after I cook dinner, goddamn growing children!). All three (10, 11, and 14) know how to use the stove and microwave, but are still a little wary of the regular oven. They can for sure heat up soup or SpaghettiOs, boil noodles, make grilled cheese sandwiches, or use the microwave for just about anything that can be microwaved. Those kids should be able to make microwave mac & cheese or a hot pocket or something.

Then again, this same 10-y.o. using the stove almost caught the microwave on fire one day because he forgot to add water to his instant ramen and the package burst into flame. I was in the other room and averted a crisis but it freaked him out bad. So I guess you have to make sure they know what they're doing, but they're kids, they'll still probably gently caress something up every now and then.
I guess kids vary so some might be fine, especially with someone around or at least in another room who could run in in an emergency. (I think I was probably personally baking stuff on my own by 14 at the latest? I can't really remember specifically though.)

In the case of the post, at least OP is theoretically around, but it seems like the kids seem to have never even microwaved stuff before so I'm guessing they're currently at the lower end of the cooking ability spectrum.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 7, 2024

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Get the RGB Wiz ones IMO, they’ll only be a few bucks more and it’s surprisingly nice to have full color range.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
+1 for having them gradually turn on to wake you up. It's so much easier to wake up when a light has been slowly getting brighter for 20 minutes.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I also use the Wiz bulbs and the fact that they rely on WiFi is why I exclusively plug them into outlets controlled by lightswitches, even if that means some ridiculous extension cord situations; if your WiFi is down for whatever reason, they behave just like normal warm-white lightbulbs when controlled by a lightswitch

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not letting my housemate’s girlfriend do beauty treatments on other people out of our home?

quote:

She does botox, filler, and other beauty injections for a living, and is certified/trained/licensed/whatever regulations are required in her home country, but not here.

She wants to start doing these procedures out of our house, and I’m uncomfortable with it. She may have the skills, but she is not legally authorized to do them here. The materials she uses are obtained in her home country and smuggled into this one, because she cannot buy them here without being a practitioner.

I don’t really care what she does to herself or my housemate or her clients, but I don’t want a bunch of people I don’t know coming to our house for back alley botox. I’m also concerned that by hosting these unlicensed procedures, we could be opening ourselves up to liability if something goes wrong. AITA?

Edited to add additional insight into why I might be the AH:

She does not have another place she can easily do these procedures, unless another friend or family member lets her use their home.

It doesn’t really harm me in any real way, and maybe I’m just being paranoid and overbearing.

Presumably her clients know the risks, probably nothing will go wrong, and they probably wouldn’t sue, so maybe I’m making much ado about nothing.

It makes her life inconvenient and potentially more expensive to have to do the beauty procedures elsewhere.

My housemate thinks I’m the rear end in a top hat because I would feel bad if he tried to tell me I couldn’t have my friends over for beauty treatments. I told him if I wanted to have friends over to do waxing and he wasn’t comfortable with it in the house, we would do it somewhere else. We would probably laugh at him for being silly, but it isn’t a big deal to do it somewhere else.

2nd edit:

Does it make a difference if she’s “just doing it for friends and family”? I assume she’s getting paid regardless of who she’s injecting, and that even if she doesn’t CALL them clients, it’s still a client-provider relationship because money is being exchanged. I’m being told I’m being unreasonable and have a “difference of interpretation.”

Fun additional details: OPs housemate is the homeowner

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AITA for telling my wife I don't believe her when she says she'd be okay with us calling our daughter by different names?

quote:

My (30m) wife (29f) is pregnant with our first child, our daughter. She's just about a month away from giving birth and we do not have a name picked out yet. At one point we had two potential names on a list but my wife told me she really didn't want to give either name to our daughter so that was gone.

Our issue comes from a difference in likes and dislikes in names. My wife likes very common, very classic names and she likes to go a touch old fashioned too. Her three favorite girls names are Elizabeth, Esther and Hannah. She also strongly loves the names Emily, Beatrice, Constance, Patricia, Catherine and Geraldine. But there are many names in the same sphere she likes.

My taste is a bit more mixed but I like more uncommon names and names that aren't super used or classic but I have some classics I like. Names I adore are; Indigo/Indie, Lyric, Elodie, Lyra, Dove, Sunny, Scout, Calia.

We strongly dislike the names the other strongly likes/loves. We had the name Briony and the name Melody on our list for a while but my wife decided neither were names she could tolerate our daughter having so we went back to square one.

I feel like she refuses to try and find names closer to what I like. Whereas the ones I suggest closer to her like (Chloe and Alannah) are names she doesn't feel totally work with her taste. She said at one point she should get more of a say as the person carrying our daughter and giving birth to her but that was dropped soon after.

However, my wife has decided the fairest compromise is one picks the first and the other the middle name, and we each call her by the name we picked. So say we end up with Elizabeth Indie. She'd call her Elizabeth or a nickname from said name and I'd call her Indie. The thing is I'm not opposed to this entirely. But I give it a month after our daughter is born before my wife is annoyed that I don't call our daughter by her first name, and I know when she talks about the compromise she means for her choices to go in the first name spot and mine in the middle. I also know that annoyance will only grow if friends and family choose to call her Indie (and this is just an example) instead of Elizabeth. But since both would be used a lot it could happen and I know her two younger sisters would likely lean more in my taste and so would prefer something like Indie to Elizabeth to call their niece. So I don't think the compromise would work for long.

I told my wife this and she told me she's an adult and she would be fine. She said I have no reason to doubt her. I told her I know how much she hates not getting her way on certain things and this is a big thing to her. She told me she'd be okay with me calling our daughter a different name. Even as she said it she looked annoyed and like she was forcing it. I told her I didn't believe her. My wife said it's unfair not to because she knows herself better than I do. I suggested we trial it out before our daughter comes and she was pissed about that too.

AITA?

Looking forward to when one of the parents hears which name the kid introduces herself by at the playground and disowns her for picking the wrong one.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Hellblazer187 posted:

And if you are low on sodium you can lick the lamps!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for not letting my housemate’s girlfriend do beauty treatments on other people out of our home?

If OP doesn't own the house I guess there probably aren't liability issues for them and if it's just "family and friends" it's not random strangers entering the house? That still sounds like an insanely bad idea because OP's housemates girlfriend is 100% going to end up in some sort of legal trouble and/or be sued if she does this a lot.

Dewgy posted:

Get the RGB Wiz ones IMO, they’ll only be a few bucks more and it’s surprisingly nice to have full color range.
Yeah actually 2x 2 rgb bulbs is only like $6 more than 3 white bulbs and it's probably good to have a spare anyway so I might get rgb ones. I guess maybe I would consider changing the color temperature to be more reddish at night since I guess you can have multiple presets saved?

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 7, 2024

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

AITA for telling my wife I don't believe her when she says she'd be okay with us calling our daughter by different names?

Looking forward to when one of the parents hears which name the kid introduces herself by at the playground and disowns her for picking the wrong one.

From the comments on this one:

quote:

Honestly considering Sunny, Scout AND Lyra all make an appearance in the MLP franchise I'm betting on OP being a Brony Edit: Melody is also in the MLP franchise, and Briony is only letter away from being brony.. the case gets stronger..

YTA OP, YTA on general principle

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

mystes posted:

Yeah actually 2x 2 rgb bulbs is only like $6 more than 3 white bulbs and it's probably good to have a spare anyway so I might get rgb ones. I guess maybe I would consider changing the color temperature to be more reddish at night since I guess you can have multiple presets saved?

Yes, you can set as many presets as you want, and even set schedules for those presets to kick in at a given time. You can also set different colors/brightness for each bulb if you want

Seriously, smart bulbs loving own

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

DoubleNegative posted:

From the comments on this one:

YTA OP, YTA on general principle

Lmao

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Is there some kind of TikTok challenge for brides to come up with some of the weirdest wedding demands possible?

AITA for not wanting to attend my brother’s wedding because and for calling my SIL rules stupid?

quote:

Im 27F dentist and my brother 32M and his soon wife 27F are getting married in less than 2 months. Let’s call my SIL Abby. Abby and I never had a relationship of our own. We definitely don’t hate each other but we are not besties. We just exist in each others presence. I noticed that in the invitation to their weeding that Abby requested the dress code to be all women in the wedding to wear off the shoulder dresses, suits or anything just off the shoulder. Doesn’t matter the color or the sequence unless it is off the shoulder.

Now as I said I am a dentist and as many people already know dentists may not have the best back/shoulder posture ever. And Im not an exception and I always tend to wear outfits that do not emphasize that part of my body. Now the type of clothing this dress code demands needs someone with a good back posture because that’s the emphasis. I totally lack that and yes I did try one dress of the shoulder on looked absolutely horrendous.

So I asked if I the dress code is really that important and if I have to abide it but my brother told me Abby stressed on this dress code so much. And Abby was like if she “leeways” me she has to leeway everyone (I was kinda baffled that so much importance was placed on a certain type of clothing with no explanation given)

I went with my friend shopping hoping I’d find one that I looked not so clownery in. I tried on so many different fits, looked like poo poo in all of them. So I told my mother since they are so attached to that dress code then I think the best option here for me is to not go. So I wouldn’t ruin their organization and I wouldn’t have nightmares about how awful I looked in that event. But my mum got mad at me and said Im being dramatic for not wanting to be there for brother and family just for a dress. I told her I want to attend but I also want to look good and feel pretty and they are sticking to such a stupid rule that they can’t provide a meaning. Regardless I respected that and decided not to ruin their image of how they want their wedding. My mum said my absence will also ruin things because the guests will wonder why the sister is not attending when Im healthy. I told her well the guests will also wonder why I look like I could be the guy of hunchback Notre Dam (okay Im not that bad but you get the gist here) My mum is still mad at me (haven’t told my brother and SIL yet)

Something I wondered myself was addressed in the top comment:

quote:

NTA. So are all the 90yo grannies going to be wearing off the shoulder outfits????????? As a granny myself, this is freaking horrifying.

quote:

OP:
You know I actually thought about it because Abby great grandmother is alive so Im curious how will she be in off the shoulder or will she get the O god forbid leeway

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Mordiceius posted:

AITA for fighting with my wife about the lights in our house?

A while back I had a roommate who would just sit in her room with the blinds drawn and the lights off, and she got new bathroom curtains that were navy blue and sucked up all the light. She would come home and swear at her adorable cat. She was not pleasant.

Enjoy this beautifully written post

My [44m] sister [32f] will not bathe. Her odor has become the heaviest burden.

quote:

I do not know what to do.

My sister and I have resided together for some time. The rent is affordable with two and with our parents being departed this is a most benefcial living situation.

But there are problems in the home that begin with my sister's hygiene.

Her body is a garbage. It is a real Dumpster. She spends all day on our personal computer writing fan fiction on commission. I have seen no proof of the money. Where is the money? Her share of the rent is acquired at a local department store she works part time. The rent is all she can ante up. Water and electricity come on my dime.

So she is at home much of the time and because she is justified custodian she feels no need to groom. Her hair is an oil patch and her skin is shameful blotchy. I sometimes fear her dinner waste may lure vermin to our doorstep. But all these things may be permitted as she is my sister and I love her.

But the stench. The stench from below her pelvis, to put it politely. It is like a sea carcass. It can sometimes be smelled from our bathroom if she is in her gown watching television. Colleagues and mates to visit? Forget about it. They all know the smell. They know my home is not the place to be.

I tried to talk to her about it. We are very straight shooters with one another, so I spoke freely:

"P, you must take a bath. Soon. I am sorry, but I cannot endure your smell now."

"I take a bath on my own terms. You are not my husband." (This is a statement she makes too much)

"Sister, I can smell your genitals from here."

"This conversation is concluded. You are not my husband. I will never take a bath."

She then left the room and proceeded to her bed. She has been laughing in the night, and I fear my sister may be planning to withhold further grooming or an equivalent unpleasantry in the meanwhile. I love her and would never make her kick sand, but how do I convince her not to be a malevolent smell source? There was a time when my sister was beautiful and clean. How do I get that again?

Tldr: My sister is spiteful and has an odor caused by her own slothful nature. I am living with her indefinitely. She takes delight in her awareness.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mx. posted:

I'm sure that absolutely nothing bad can happen from using illegally imported botulism toxin.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

trickybiscuits posted:

Her body is a garbage. It is a real Dumpster.
[/b]

Heh, same.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lots of good thread titles in there

r/relationships: Her odor has become the heaviest burden

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

r/relationships: Her body is a garbage. It is a real Dumpster.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

trickybiscuits posted:

A while back I had a roommate who would just sit in her room with the blinds drawn and the lights off, and she got new bathroom curtains that were navy blue and sucked up all the light. She would come home and swear at her adorable cat. She was not pleasant.

Enjoy this beautifully written post

My [44m] sister [32f] will not bathe. Her odor has become the heaviest burden.

this feels like it was written by a dwarf from Dwarf Fortress. her body threatens with spikes of scent; it is decorated with hanging rings of odor

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I am physically disabled and chronically depressed and while I acknowledge there are people worse off than I, I fully believe, because of or despite that, if you're not maintaining basic personal hygiene you need help.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

r/relationships: it is like a sea carcass

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Personally I can't get over this one

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Reddit says most of his names are from MLP

E:f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Troublemaker posted:

Now as I said I am a dentist and as many people already know dentists may not have the best back/shoulder posture ever.

I... did not in fact know that