Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lutris just straight up refused to install from EGS and Amazon for me, I forget which but for one it threw up errors whenever it tried to download anything and for the other it would download and attempt to install the games then eventually give up.

Heroic worked immediately and looks a lot nicer so I just use that now.

Seconding Heroic as well. Other than fortnite and fall guys it works for almost everything I tried on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Uhhhhhh, everyone, I remember when Unreal was released in 1998.

I just installed it from my GOG library via Lutris.

Its, uh, running flawlessly right now and bringing back a lot of good memories of simpler times.

Holy poo poo.

E: I just left the Vortex Rikers. The size of the levels in this game were seriously mind blowing poo poo when it was new.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 7, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

tango alpha delta posted:

Its, uh, running flawlessly right now and bringing back a lot of good memories of simpler times.

Holy poo poo.

:cheers:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Oh man, had a ton of fun with the Model 2/3 emulators that come with EmuDeck now. Very cool that they add widescreen and free play without having to do anything. Played some Dynamite Cop and Sega Rally 2.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mescal posted:

Apollo is beautiful :cry:

I'm so tempted to pick up the Hades 2 early access but on the other hand I want to hold off because I know I'll play nothing else for like the next year if I do and I'm already behind on my queue.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E: I just left the Vortex Rikers. The size of the levels in this game were seriously mind blowing poo poo when it was new.

That is one of the scenes from this game that still sticks in my mind all these years later. That was amazing experiencing it for the first time.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I couldn't get Pac Man Adventures in Time working in Lutris, but it's a PITA on modern Windows too.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lutris just straight up refused to install from EGS and Amazon for me, I forget which but for one it threw up errors whenever it tried to download anything and for the other it would download and attempt to install the games then eventually give up.

Heroic worked immediately and looks a lot nicer so I just use that now.

Yeah plenty people recommend Heroic especially for epic.

The point is don't try to manage your non steam library manually because it sucks to keep track of and manage. I have games across like every launcher and a bunch of open source stuff and Lutris is for that.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Holy poo poo.

This makes me sad I never got the unreal and UT games on GoG before Epic decided to take them all down :(

GoG was always a site I had an account on but would only remember it when someone mentioned a great sale or something. Now that I have a deck it seems worth connecting to but yeah unfortunately I missed my chance to include some bangers in my library

:smith: and they aren't even doing remasters or remakes, they just don't want it out there anymore mostly because they don't want to run servers for them? I don't get that at all, just don't run the servers but leave the games available mannnnnn.

I was hoping they had just pulled from other outlets so you could only get them through Epic now but nope! They just don't want you to be able to get it anymore unless you kept your copy around :sigh:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 7, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All this chatter about Hades 2 made me check, and Hades 1 is on sale for $8.99

If you're a heathen like me who doesnt own it I own it on switch, now is the time

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah now I feel pressured to finally beat Hades. I guess its time to face my fear of rogue-likes and finally get past stage 2. Im traumatized by Returnal.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Animal posted:

Yeah now I feel pressured to finally beat Hades. I guess its time to face my fear of rogue-likes and finally get past stage 2. Im traumatized by Returnal.

Hades is not as brutal as Returnal by far, I recommend you embrace spamming dash attack :) I platinum trophy'd Hades 1, it's so drat good.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Animal posted:

Yeah now I feel pressured to finally beat Hades. I guess it’s time to face my fear of rogue-likes and finally get past stage 2. I’m traumatized by Returnal.

In the first game the permanent unlock system, story elements happening after dying, etc mean losing runs helps things progress and get through the game's content.

There is definitely a skill/effort level where you can spend a lot more time scrapping by in runs you probably can't win for rewards that are worse than if you had focused on collectables for permanent upgrades.

I usually like starting these games over from a clean slate after finishing and holy hell I am so terrible at the early game still haha.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got so close to my first Hades run win on the Switch version shortly before my Steam Deck shipped. I never actually finished Hades. And now I have it on Steam, where I can play it on something that isnt a blurry mess.

I finished Persona 3 Reload last night so Im gonna swap between Hades and Bloodstained.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I wish GamePass games worked on the Deck, because I want to play P3R, but it's not different enough (to me at least) to spend $70 or whatever on.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gamepass streaming works great

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Annath posted:

I wish GamePass games worked on the Deck, because I want to play P3R, but it's not different enough (to me at least) to spend $70 or whatever on.

It was $40 on GMG or Fanatical for Golden Week a few days ago.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Super No Vacancy posted:

gamepass streaming works great

I tried streaming Fable 2, and that was using an actual Xbox with an ethernet connection and gigabit internet and it was unplayable.

I'd assume wifi streaming to the Steam Deck would be worse. If the solution is to play docked, that's not a solution because if I'm docked I could just be playing on my PC.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was $40 on GMG or Fanatical for Golden Week a few days ago.

RIP

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Humble still has it reduced, not sure if it's as deep a discount

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Apologies if this is a regular question in this thread, but the refurbs are back in stock, which means I'm torn between a 512 LED and stretching for the OLED. How do we feel about the OLED? Is/has it been worth the extra to people here? Do LED owners feel the pang of OLED envy?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you already have an LCD Deck, theres a question on if you should upgrade. If you dont already have a Steam Deck, then its generally accepted that its well worth saving up the extra cash and getting the OLED. Even beyond just how much better the screen is, the boosted battery life puts it over the edge.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Chin Strap posted:

Assuming Hades 2 works good on Deck?

Plays beautifully on my OG Deck

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

The Grumbles posted:

Apologies if this is a regular question in this thread, but the refurbs are back in stock, which means I'm torn between a 512 LED and stretching for the OLED. How do we feel about the OLED? Is/has it been worth the extra £££ to people here? Do LED owners feel the pang of OLED envy?

OLED is much, much better. Better battery, runs cooler, fan is a lot quieter/doesn't come on as often and of course the screen is night and day. I would only recommend the base Deck if you are mostly using it docked.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

I would only recommend the base Deck if you are mostly using it docked.

:psyduck: idk about THAT

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah that's wild

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dont buy a deck at all if you're gonna use it only docked lol, get a laptop

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Just going to add to the chorus: if there is any way to afford the OLED, get the OLED.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

LCD Deck is great. OLED Deck is amazing.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Honestly I kinda hate docking my deck because I lose out on all the control options you get by holding the thing.

Steam controller 2 when?

And just to be clear I recommend OLED for all your screens, it's worth the extra price

The Grumbles posted:

Do LED owners feel the pang of OLED envy?

Definitely a little bit 🤏🏻 but I don't regret being an early adopter, I needed to have this thing in my hands asap :D

I felt a similar pang about the Switch OLED but I play my Switch docked on a great OLED so not so much. I just don't like docking my Deck so much and have yet to spring for a 60hz 4k dock because of it

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 7, 2024

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Steam Controller 2: just the Deck without the screen.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Animal posted:

Yes, exactly, take my money lol

I would dock my deck a ton if this existed! Just use all the extra space for a massive battery

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 7, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Animal posted:

it's free money for valve

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Quantum of Phallus posted:

dont buy a deck at all if you're gonna use it only docked lol, get a laptop

Will a $300 laptop play games like a deck?

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER

The Grumbles posted:

Do LED owners feel the pang of OLED envy?
Ive had a 512GB LCD model for about a year and a half. The OLED screen is really nice, especially if you get the chance to compare them side by side, but I didnt put it down and immediately feel like I was having a worse experience going back to mine. Im fine waiting until theres a Deck 2 with better guts to match the better screen.

all that said, if I didnt have a Deck already, I would absolutely go for the OLED model!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

Will a $300 laptop play games like a deck?

dunno, probably

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I'd say no, a netbook probably can't, you'd be looking at probably a 800 minimum for something like a Surface? I hear those things play games better than you'd expect

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

The Grumbles posted:

Apologies if this is a regular question in this thread, but the refurbs are back in stock, which means I'm torn between a 512 LED and stretching for the OLED. How do we feel about the OLED? Is/has it been worth the extra to people here? Do LED owners feel the pang of OLED envy?

the oled is slightly lighter, runs somewhat cooler, runs very slightly faster, has a bigger battery, and most of all the trackpads and screen are high quality. it's $200 more of course but if you can make that work, it's worth it. the trackpads are fine in the LCD, they're just nicer in the OLED. that screen though; the LCD's screen is passable but the OLED is pretty good.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

An LCD Deck is fine so long as you never ever look at an OLED Deck. If you don't know what you're missing out on you won't feel the pain. But the moment you see the two side by side you can't go back to LCD.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

An LCD Deck is fine so long as you never ever look at an OLED Deck. If you don't know what you're missing out on you won't feel the pain. But the moment you see the two side by side you can't go back to LCD.

Metric Skeleton posted:

Ive had a 512GB LCD model for about a year and a half. The OLED screen is really nice, especially if you get the chance to compare them side by side, but I didnt put it down and immediately feel like I was having a worse experience going back to mine.

WELL NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Honestly, the battery life on the OLED is worth it as much or more than the screen itself. It's absolutely noticeably larger.