Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

khwarezm posted:

The slavery point is interesting to me because, as with literally everything else you mention here, its almost comical how it just doesn't matter or is really explored at all. I don't think Anakin expresses any resentment whatsoever to the fact that he was born a slave? he doesn't seem to harbour any grudges towards his own literal slave owner, or the society of Tatooine facilitating such a grotesque system? He doesn't talk about how him being freed by the Jedi but not his mother is the source of any issues, and the film doesn't really suggest that its even a particularly difficult moral conundrum worth examining? Even said mother just gets manumitted and married to some other guy, and is killed violently in circumstances that have nothing to do with her being a slave at all, for a movie that has slavery in it, and has the main character be a slave... what's it trying to say? It just says nothing.

I actually find this really quite amazing about the prequels, they have all these elements of the worldbuilding that could lead to really interesting and tough situations, dramatic, cinematic, situations, but nothing really matters or is explored at all. I made a post a couple of months ago about how the actual clone wars themselves have all of the same problems, for a giant galactic conflict in a movie with (way too much) politics they really have nothing to say and aren't explored at all in a vaguely interesting way despite the groundwork potentially being there.

Its trying to say it sucks. The movie I mean. I guess slavery sucks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Arbite posted:

Didn't he ask someone reputable to give that a try but they refused, saying something like 'Nonono, it should be entirely your vision, it's not that I don't want the associated grief.'

Well whoever it was has doomed us. Doomed us to a fate of zoomers trying to pretend “the prequels were good actually” and twisting themselves into knots to make up reasons why

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arbite posted:

Didn't he ask someone reputable to give that a try but they refused, saying something like 'Nonono, it should be entirely your vision, it's not that I don't want the associated grief.'

He tried to get Ron Howard, Robert Zemeckis, and Steven Spielberg to direct the prequels, and they all turned him down.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You have to remember the zoomers have watched 100s of hours of cartoons that they feel backfill a lot of these issues, and give the movies retroactive credit for this.

I'm not saying that's legitimate whatsoever, on several levels, but it is what's going on in their hosed up minds

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

No Mods No Masters posted:

You have to remember the zoomers have watched 100s of hours of cartoons that they feel backfill a lot of these issues, and give the movies retroactive credit for this.

I'm not saying that's legitimate whatsoever, on several levels, but it is what's going on in their hosed up minds

I do kind of get it from that POV, you grew up playing Star Wars Battlefront, Knights of the Old Republic and watching the Clone Wars cartoons. There was a huge media push for that era of Star Wars using a lot of the same settings and visuals from the Prequels, if you loved all of that stuff its going to be pretty hard to admit that the actual movies they are drawing from were baaaaaad.

I am looking forward to kids in 20 years talking about how Rise of Skywalker was unfairly maligned because they really liked the Fallen Order games and the Mandalorian tv show by the same measure.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I now have updated versions of the 4K__ projects (4K77 1.4, 4K80 1.0 and 4K83 2.0). Gonna throw on 4K83 tonight.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

khwarezm posted:

I am looking forward to kids in 20 years talking about how Rise of Skywalker was unfairly maligned because they really liked the Fallen Order games and the Mandalorian tv show by the same measure.

Ya know, maybe the Spartans were really onto something with their “throw the children that disappoint you into a pit” parenting style

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Gutcruncher posted:

The prequels really are an amazing example of George Lucas’s weaknesses as a writer, but strength as the “first draft writer”

Seriously, It’s not hard to picture a good version of that whole trilogy, it’s just that Lucas decided that he didn’t need anyone going over his script for a second or third draft.

It’s also why it sucks so bad that Disney just threw all his ideas in the garbage. Yes I’m sure what he handed them sucked, but I’m also positive that a more talented writer could’ve taken whatever ramblings were on the page and honed it into something good.

Unfortunately this is illegal following extended lobbying by failparents.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Cubone posted:

td! has ascended and is currently seeing things the rest of us don't (yet)
he was the only one to call out ahmed best for continuing to milk sympathy over jarjar and he is the only one with the balls to say (correctly) that michelle yeoh has kristen schaaled
aqua got norted, the duolingo owl is twerking on tiktok to bbl drizzy and zendaya is meeshee. (affectionate)
*snorts a line of cum* joker hit the griddy. play my loving music

and frankly i know a lot of people wont like it but this is exactly WHY zendaya is meechee

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

my thinking was that michelle yeoh's been in a lot of stuff lately, mostly sci fi action things. it reminded me when kristen schaal started showing up in all the comedy shows probably because producers said hey, lets just get someone wacky,. "lets get someone wacky". i like kristen schaal and its normalized by now i feel but it was a real glut at a time. i think that's happening with michelle yeoh in a sense. but maybe not really, i'm dumb. no podcast told me this, i am suggesting no greater conspiracy, in another world this would simply be an idle observation by a fool. but thanks to that big old orange cheeto bastard, ive given my friend postnoveau cause to live in fear.

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024

Jose Oquendo posted:

im so tired of all this blade running. I'm getting old and tired, when are we going to get some blade walking.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

counterfeitsaint posted:

The prequels are not about anything.

Naming your generically evil, vaguely racist villains the Trade Federation does not make your movie a criticism of capitalism.

Featuring goofy comically inept robots to get slaughtered by the hundreds does not make your movie about AI.

Having characters visit a planet with slavery where they say "Wow, slavery huh? That's too bad. Ok BYEEEEEE" does not make your movie about slavery.

Sometimes you just have an overgrown manchild with a blank check who wants to sell a few billions of dollars worth of toys.

Yeah Lucas at best has some vague attempts at a themes and ideas, but not a single one of them is developed enough to argue that the prequels are really about anything. The closest they come is in RotJ with some passing War on Terror allusions and that George Bush quote that everyone creams their pants over. Even that is generously just a milk-toast parroting of some very basic liberal talking points from the time, and it’s nested within a ton of pointless nonsense.

I don’t think Lucas knows enough or even cares enough about politics to really say anything beyond the surface level. He absolutely flubbed the whole setup for the Clone Wars by making the Confederates the most generic bad guys possible, is basically fine with slavery on Tatooine; and he didn’t think anything was wrong with making the Jedi into a self-serving ineffectual bureaucracy of space wizards deeply enmeshed in a corrupt government, and eager to dive headfirst into a galactic civil war with extremely dubious origins. There’s a possible version of the Prequels that is a smart criticism/deconstruction of the above, but it’s not the one we got. Lucas was driven by weird things he wanted in the story for their own sake or whatever would sell the most toys.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Oh yeah, it is absolutely misplaced memories

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cubone posted:

td! has ascended and is currently seeing things the rest of us don't (yet)
he was the only one to call out ahmed best for continuing to milk sympathy over jarjar and he is the only one with the balls to say (correctly) that michelle yeoh has kristen schaaled
aqua got norted, the duolingo owl is twerking on tiktok to bbl drizzy and zendaya is meeshee. (affectionate)
*snorts a line of cum* joker hit the griddy. play my loving music

Mike read this post and instantly aged ten years.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

colonelwest posted:

Yeah Lucas at best has some vague attempts at a themes and ideas, but not a single one of them is developed enough to argue that the prequels are really about anything. The closest they come is in RotJ with some passing War on Terror allusions and that George Bush quote that everyone creams their pants over. Even that is generously just a milk-toast parroting of some very basic liberal talking points from the time, and it’s nested within a ton of pointless nonsense.

I don’t think Lucas knows enough or even cares enough about politics to really say anything beyond the surface level. He absolutely flubbed the whole setup for the Clone Wars by making the Confederates the most generic bad guys possible, is basically fine with slavery on Tatooine; and he didn’t think anything was wrong with making the Jedi into a self-serving ineffectual bureaucracy of space wizards deeply enmeshed in a corrupt government, and eager to dive headfirst into a galactic civil war with extremely dubious origins. There’s a possible version of the Prequels that is a smart criticism/deconstruction of the above, but it’s not the one we got. Lucas was driven by weird things he wanted in the story for their own sake or whatever would sell the most toys.

At the risk of creaming over Dune like I always do, it was amazing watching those movies in comparison to Star Wars where they actually do explore these kinds of topics in some depth to a degree you rarely see in blockbuster cinema and which makes you appreciate the storytelling potential of sci-fi.

And even then you can still have your cartoon bad guys in the form of the Harkonnens.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also I just realized what "Jay" rhymes with.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mega64 posted:

May!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mega64 posted:

Bae

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Zoomers: Watch 8 seasons of some ugly dipshit cartoons, they will completely flesh out all the ideas the prequel films merely introduced
Also zoomers: Here is an insane convoluted list for you to follow that skips the 80% of the episodes that are terrible

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zoomers are into the new star wars which is a deconstruction of the past trilogies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O77VTIAYGVA

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Boomers: Watch 7 seasons of some ugly dipshit Star Trek, they will completely flesh out all the ideas the prequel series merely introduced
Also boomers: Here is an insane convoluted list for you to follow that skips the 80% of the episodes that are terrible

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I honestly thought of that even as I was writing it. Truly the star wars cartoons are the modern day star trek the youths deserve (derogatory)

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
The youth don't deserve this. They don't deserve any of this. :(

EDIT: I mean movies.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
man i really just dont like that it is the year 2024

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Stargate experience

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024
Its 1995 actually. Kiss from a Rose from the Batman Forever soundtrack plays nonstop on the radio as you sip on your kiwiberry ruckus fruitopia and randomly scream MORTAL KOMBAT!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

That DICK! posted:

my thinking was that michelle yeoh's been in a lot of stuff lately, mostly sci fi action things. it reminded me when kristen schaal started showing up in all the comedy shows probably because producers said hey, lets just get someone wacky,. "lets get someone wacky". i like kristen schaal and its normalized by now i feel but it was a real glut at a time. i think that's happening with michelle yeoh in a sense. but maybe not really, i'm dumb. no podcast told me this, i am suggesting no greater conspiracy, in another world this would simply be an idle observation by a fool. but thanks to that big old orange cheeto bastard, ive given my friend postnoveau cause to live in fear.

Michelle Yeoh has been in action movies her entire career

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SeenYourPoopypants posted:

Its 1995 actually. Kiss from a Rose from the Batman Forever soundtrack plays nonstop on the radio as you sip on your kiwiberry ruckus fruitopia and randomly scream MORTAL KOMBAT!

It was a simpler time

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

starkebn posted:

Michelle Yeoh has been in action movies her entire career

good point, kristen schaal was big in actino movies before making the move.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

like, am i having to debate that michelle yeoh is in more starring roles lately? is that your dumb rear end point? cause she is. i like her. its fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Michelle Yeoh jumped a motorbike onto a train for real so she can do whatever the gently caress she wants

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Michelle Yeoh jumped a motorbike onto a train for real so she can do whatever the gently caress she wants

Whoa really?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah man I saw it in a movie

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

That DICK! posted:

like, am i having to debate that michelle yeoh is in more starring roles lately? is that your dumb rear end point? cause she is. i like her. its fine.

your point seemed like "hmmm, for some reason Michelle Yeoh has been type cast into scifi action roles?" excuse me if you actually had some sort of other point

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
michelle yeoh had never actually acted in a movie before eeaao

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

KakerMix posted:

Oh nooooo

Oh Yeoh!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hey Yeoh!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I don't know who Michelle Yeoh is and at this point I'm afraid to ask.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

She's the famous third eye googly eye actress, from her iconic role as the third eye googly eye mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
She also had a role in the hit TV series Star Track Discovery.