Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Part 2 is fascinating because everybody involved insisted they had no idea what anyone was talking about regarding the gay subtext and then around 2010 they were suddenly all “Oh yeah, we knew, it was obvious”

They knew the whole time imo but if you make a gay movie back then you just be gay and being gay is very scary!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
chucky in child's play 2 might be the scariest he ever gets. great movie

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Just watched Phase IV and glad I did, cuz that movie is fantastic.

How the gently caress can ants act?!

It's incredible, I watched it a year or two ago when there was a discussion here about which movies Mystery Science Theater covered that were actually good and this was probably the best one

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

nightmare on elm street 2 freddy embodies a young man's repressed homosexuality and once he accepts he might be gay freddy comes out at a party and kills everyone only for him to repress his homosexuality once again to stop freddy

It's kind of crazy how mixed and weird the message feels now because as a teenager I still felt very seen watching it. There wasn't a whole lot better that was available to me

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 7, 2024

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CelticPredator posted:

They knew the whole time imo but if you make a gay movie back then you just be gay and being gay is very scary!!!!!!

Oh, I know. It’s still fascinating.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Part 2 is fascinating because everybody involved insisted they had no idea what anyone was talking about regarding the gay subtext and then around 2010 they were suddenly all “Oh yeah, we knew, it was obvious”

Scream, Queen is required viewing. A truly excellent documentary that dives into exactly that, particularly how it all affected Mark Patton's life.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mark patton is awesome. I believe he’s really sick still. Very sad.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm trying to think of which horror mainstay actor was in the most famous non horror film. Is it Brad Dourif as Grima Wormtongue?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lloyd Kaufman in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
It's early enough in May that I am going to make one final plug for the May Horror Challenge 2024 to encourage anyone thinking about it.

The thread launched 8 days ago, and we've already logged 200 unique films watched, which is way beyond my expectations.

If you've never done a challenge, May is a modest warm-up to October. There are 13 challenges with categories of movies to watch. So far the most popular challenge has been "Eat your loving slop!" which requires you to watch a movie that's got a poor rating (< 2.5 on Letterboxd, < 5.0 on IMDB, etc.). Between that and the "Tubin'" challenge (watch a movie you've never heard of on Tubi), there's been a lot of trash. But also a lot of gems.

The challenges are optional, feel to browse the thread to see the movies we're watching and discussing and drop reviews in for anything you may watch in May. There's still about three and a half weeks and three full weekends left to log movies.

:spooky: This your final May challenge PSA. Hope to see you there. :spooky:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Scream, Queen is required viewing. A truly excellent documentary that dives into exactly that, particularly how it all affected Mark Patton's life.

Oh, absolutely. In fact, it seems the announcement it was being made is what encouraged everyone to start talking about the themes in the movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The last I read was that Mark Patton was doing OK in a hospital in Mexico.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ruddiger posted:

lmao John carpenter just beelining straight to the video game soundtracks when he went to amoeba records.

Carpenter was doing game OSTs when he was still directing movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx2WgY98MVE

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Doltos posted:

I'm trying to think of which horror mainstay actor was in the most famous non horror film. Is it Brad Dourif as Grima Wormtongue?

poo poo, Brad Dourif all round really. Billy Bibbit and Doc Cochran are key roles for him too

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Peter Cushing in Star Wars is a big one. Or Christopher Lee in LotR.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My dad’s friend is cousins with a producer of the crow 1994 and wants to put some of my shorts in front of him.

I want to show alienated because that’s what I want to make but people hated that thing at festivals so idk. There’s 3 versions. But which one to show?

Or I could do the trick r treat one or the alien corpse one. Idk.

I have to figure it out in 48 hours. Well I don’t have too but my dad is pushing me too lol

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

STAC Goat posted:

Peter Cushing in Star Wars is a big one. Or Christopher Lee in LotR.

Or Lee in Star Wars also

Henry Thomas was the lead in ET and has gone on to do a lot of horror including being in Flanagan’s regular troupe

If Klaus Kinski counts he was in Doctor Zhivago

Vincent Price was in the Ten Commandments

Those are all top 10 all time domestic movies adjusted for inflation

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The whole Elm Street series is tainted for me because of the Freddy’s Greatest Hits novelty record that jumps to a new genre with every track and they all suck rear end except sort-of the disco one.

None of those were hits, Freddy! This is false advertising!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I have that record, lol. Obviously it's not in heavy rotation. As I recall most of Freddy's involvement is just occasionally laughing or talking over the songs, like this hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fapwDPKzXLE

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Just started The Baby for the first time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Peter Cushing in Star Wars is a big one.

Hard to beat Cushing I think because the Tarkin character from Star Wars really did become iconic in it's own right. There's a whole generation of people who instantly know Cushing's face from his role in Star Wars but may have no idea about his Hammer horror roles. Personally I discovered Hammer horror in my 20s, and by then I'd probably seen A New Hope like 50 times throughout my childhood.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

holy poo poo Abigail is so much loving fun you guys. Radio Silence did it again. Not as good as SCREAM or Ready or Not, but pretty drat close.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

holy poo poo Abigail is so much loving fun you guys. Radio Silence did it again. Not as good as SCREAM or Ready or Not, but pretty drat close.
Yeah, it's a really entertaining film imo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

Yeah, just when you think it's played all its cards they pull out Katherine Newton's dance training, which is a twist I'm glad wasn't spelled out in trailers..

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

dorium posted:

Just started The Baby for the first time.

What a demented viewing experience

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Berzerker posted:

What a demented viewing experience

I need a cigarette

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shrecknet posted:

Definitely enjoyed Abigail. I think it's way better than either of those movies. Just fun throughout.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
How are the Tremors and Jaws sequels? Anything worthwhile? I hear people talking up the Tremors sequels from time to time, I assume mostly just from a "fun cheesy b movie" angle.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How are the Tremors and Jaws sequels? Anything worthwhile? I hear people talking up the Tremors sequels from time to time, I assume mostly just from a "fun cheesy b movie" angle.

Tremors 2: Aftershocks is just as good as the original.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah aftershocks is great. It’s kinda cheap looking visually but it’s a good time. Jaws sequels stink

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Punkin Spunkin posted:

They're both just totally fine, but I'd give Tremors 2 the edge for being more ambitious. Jaws 2 is just... more Jaws. Not hugely interesting.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Yeah, saw it on the weekend and that was a lot more fun than I was expecting, even with y'all talking it up further back in the thread. I was like "what is up with this Resident Evil rear end house", and lmaoed when fuckin impenetrable shutters slammed over all the windows

To say nothing of bloodsplosions

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

alf_pogs posted:

poo poo, Brad Dourif all round really. Billy Bibbit and Doc Cochran are key roles for him too

Wormtongue has for sure been seen by more people, but Doc Cochran is the best thing he's done by an order of magnitude.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Jaws 2 is fine but feels weird as hell because there's an entire storyline that's excised from the movie that makes the behavior of the mayor and other officials seem less insane. You have Roy Scheider telling them straight out it's happening again and they all treat him like a crazy rear end in a top hat for it for seemingly no reason. In the original script the town is in deep to the mafia for a loan and that's why they're just trying to ignore the shark attack again.

It's silly but at least it doesn't feel like the town is teaming up and gaslighting Sheriff Brody.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Jaws 3 is “Jaws goes to Sea World” and if you don’t wanna watch that premise I don’t know what to tell you.

Tremors 2 and 4 are both well worth watching; 3, 5, 6, and 7 are far more what you’d expect from late stage dtv sequels, though 3 is head and shoulders above the rest of those.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Perhaps the only fun thing about the Jaws sequels is how they start to undergo their own supernatural slasher-inspired shift towards the idea that the shark is an unkillable, immortal and demonic entity of the undersea, but the movies never fully come to terms with that or make sense of why it's happening. (I think the novelisations try and explain it's a voodoo curse, for whatever reason).

You've got the scene in Jaws 2 where a sea helicopter comes to rescue our heroes, and then Jaws spitefully pops up, grabs the sea helicopter, and drags it, rotors spinning at all, into the ocean - and it vanishes underwater, as if into the void.

You've got the entire premise of Jaws: The Revenge, where it's argued that this is not another shark, but the same shark, which keeps coming back seeking vengeance for its own death, and Mrs Brody, a la Nightmare on Elm Street 3, starts to develop a psychic connection with it that lets her see its victims' deaths and its deaths from the previous movies.

But the movies also start to include these fascinatingly weird establishing scenes where we're looking at the quaint seaside town from the ocean, we hear the Jaws theme playing - and then the dorsal fin emerges menacingly from the water, pointing towards the target, before diving back down. As if the dorsal fin is the shark's eyes, which it uses to see above water.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 8, 2024

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
My favorite thing in the Jaws movies is in Jaws: The Revenge when the shark levitates out of the water on its tail and then roars.

The shark loving roars.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I watched Tremors 7 for the challenge thread, and it's so much more than you expect from literally Tremors 7.

Like, they even do a good job accounting for the lower budget. There's a sequence where the Graboids attack at night, the humans realize the diesel generator powering the lights are attracting them, so they have to fight them in the dark. That's a smart, reasonable explanation to avoid showing the cheaper CGI in bright lights. Just little things like that, "how do we work around our limitations" that show a bit of care.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 8, 2024

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah to tell you the truth I don't mind the later era Tremors movies. The only one I really loathed was uh... 4? The one in the old west? Super stinker.

The Tremors tv show is also kinda weird.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
None of the Jaws sequels are any good. Three and four are worth watching if you're into "so bad they're good" movies, especially four.

JonathonSpectre posted:

My favorite thing in the Jaws movies is in Jaws: The Revenge when the shark levitates out of the water on its tail and then roars.

The shark loving roars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsdHlKMvcwg

@ 45 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The dead shark roars at the end of the first Jaws.