Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Believe me I desperately want to be hyped over this. Eh maybe it'll end up being fine.

George Miller is like 1,000 years old filming in the Outback so this is still pretty amazing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Colonel Whitey posted:

I feel like I'm on a different planet than the folks in this thread, I'm pumped as hell for Furiosa and don't understand not being pumped if you were a fan of Fury Road
:yeah:

I'm with you. Just got my ticket for Furiosa and I'm really looking forward to it!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean seriously compare these two shots.

Maybe the color in the trailer is way off or something but it looks way worse.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bring back the Twister experience in Universal.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

ImpAtom posted:

Because Fury Road looked beautiful and had amazing practical stunts and this appears to be 95% bad CGI?

This is just straight up incorrect, am I taking crazy pills

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

Just looks like absolute trash.

havent watched a trailer yet but these stills have completely sold me on the movie lol

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

yep

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1787656184490541561

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/1787656513789530128

works for me

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah, compressed to hell youtube stills of motion blurred images do tend to look like trash

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah, compressed to hell youtube stills of motion blurred images do tend to look like trash

So you do understand when people say it looks bad. Glad we cleared this up.

Also there are scenes of Fury Road on youtube that look great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

ImpAtom posted:

I mean seriously compare these two shots.

Maybe the color in the trailer is way off or something but it looks way worse.

I took both of those shots from Youtube trailers.

I hope it actually is genuinely good but none of the trailers have gotten me hyped.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I think the Furiosa one looks fine though

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm gonna watch Furiosa no matter what, but yeah the trailers haven't done it for me. It feels like it's going for a more cartoony gonzo Tank Girl vibe than just repeating the same tone and atmosphere of Fury Road. Which is disappointing because Fury Road is one of the best movies of this century, but it also properly sets my expectations in a totally different place. As long as it's still weird and bombastic and singular, I'm happy to accept something different.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ImpAtom posted:

Because Fury Road looked beautiful and had amazing practical stunts and this appears to be 95% bad CGI?

Like the van being pushed off the cliff, without irony, looks like a Playstation 1 FMV. It is unbelievably bad for any major motion film, let alone a followup to Fury Road.

I simply don't expect George Miller to replicate the process of making Fury Road at 80 years old. He was 15 years younger when they were scouting for that film. I'll give the guy a break, and I'm excited for more. Bless that man.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

I get why george miller decided to shoot furiosa from his hospice bed but it didn't do much for the look of the film

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are you sure because according to like half the people here this looks just as good as Fury Road.
I guess my brain is just broken. Well, it definitely is.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Are you sure because according to like half the people here this looks just as good as Fury Road.
I guess my brain is just broken. Well, it definitely is.

A lot of people have said that! So I went back and watched the trailer for Fury Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJnMQG9ev8

Jesus Christ are they incomparable. I honestly got excited to watch Fury Road again just watching the trailer. Which is awesome, because it means no matter what happens with Furiosa I can just go back to the movie I know I will love.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I mean admittedly there is a lot more obvious CG in this one and Fury Road's CG was for the most part integrated in a less noticeable way. I just don't really have an issue with it since I can tell there's still a poo poo ton of practical stuff going on and some great looking performances. I just don't see it as some huge departure from Fury Road, it looks to have maybe 20% more CG stuff in it but otherwise looks pretty similar.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cassian of Imola posted:

I get why george miller decided to shoot furiosa from his hospice bed but it didn't do much for the look of the film

You will be ashamed of your words and deeds when he keels over while reading your post. Thanks for KILLING George Miller!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The first shot is def "guy stands in front of green screen" but that bottom shot rules.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I mean admittedly there is a lot more obvious CG in this one and Fury Road's CG was for the most part integrated in a less noticeable way. I just don't really have an issue with it since I can tell there's still a poo poo ton of practical stuff going on and some great looking performances. I just don't see it as some huge departure from Fury Road, it looks to have maybe 20% more CG stuff in it but otherwise looks pretty similar.

The fact that there is a lot more obvious CGI is a departure. For the most part the CGI in Fury Road was used alongside practical effects or in ways that were surprisingly seamless. (Like Furiosa's arm was incredibly well done.) The CGI in the trailers distracts me where it didn't in Fury Road. Maybe in context it will flow better but a lot of it just lacks the sense of physicality that made Fury Road so much better than a lot of other modern action films. (I have no idea what is going on with the truck going off the edge, it looks shockingly terrible. Like I half wonder if it is a practical effect that got so much aftereffects slapped on it that it looks fake because it just looks so frigging bad.)

I hope I'm wrong and when I see it I go "oh poo poo this is incredible"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that there is a lot more obvious CGI is a departure. For the most part the CGI in Fury Road was used alongside practical effects or in ways that were surprisingly seamless. (Like Furiosa's arm was incredibly well done.) The CGI in the trailers distracts me where it didn't in Fury Road. Maybe in context it will flow better but a lot of it just lacks the sense of physicality that made Fury Road so much better than a lot of other modern action films. (I have no idea what is going on with the truck going off the edge, it looks shockingly terrible. Like I half wonder if it is a practical effect that got so much aftereffects slapped on it that it looks fake because it just looks so frigging bad.)

I hope I'm wrong and when I see it I go "oh poo poo this is incredible"

this is the guy who made babe 2 and the happy feet movies

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that there is a lot more obvious CGI is a departure. For the most part the CGI in Fury Road was used alongside practical effects or in ways that were surprisingly seamless.

yes dude, we understand

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

yes dude, we understand

a lot of people seem not to

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just dropping in to say that Fury Road should have been Best Picture

it's a loving crime that it wasn't

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

kiimo posted:

I can't remember what could've possibly beaten it, so I will choose to believe that it did.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

idk, spotlight was pretty good

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I love the baby Steve O. I will defend him to the end of the world.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's easier to list the Best Picture Oscar's that actually deserved it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The fact that the Academy voters were sent the dubbed version of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and that many admitted to not even watching it should tell you everything you need to know.

Also Gladiator is wildly overrated I'm still mad about that one. The fact that it didn't win a director or screenplay award speaks volumes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
fury road came out the same year as krampus so even if the oscars were fair it still wouldnt win

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

kiimo posted:

Also Gladiator is wildly overrated I'm still mad about that one. The fact that it didn't win a director or screenplay award speaks volumes.

And you lost me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

The fact that the Academy voters were sent the dubbed version of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and that many admitted to not even watching it should tell you everything you need to know.

The Insider losing to American Beauty is unforgivable

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This looks interesting. A movie about dead people returning to life from the author of Let The Right One In.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggB8pZWZuss

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Shageletic posted:

It's easier to list the Best Picture Oscar's that actually deserved it

1995 was hilarious

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

It's the best movie of the 21st Century.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Fury Road earned a blind watch for the next one from me, so I'm avoiding all Furiosa trailers like the plague.

Three Thousand Years of Longing had a certain stylised cgi look to it that was consistent enough that it wasn't distracting, but I'm hoping that was just for that film and Miller isn't convinced it looked photorealistic.

Broad daylight is still the hardest lighting to pull off for this stuff, but it can be done, Top Gun looked drat near perfect in parts - but they were at least replacing real stand-in jets so their visual references were as good as you could get.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/gentledoofus/status/1788295767288914004?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

:unsmith:

Movie is going to own.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GM is a loving sweetheart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Early reviews calling Furiosa fantastic but quite different from Fury Road, which is now miller often plays it with sequels.

Excited for it.