Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Chump Farts posted:

Going to control F "Soros" in his archives and watch as my computer melts generating results.

And then "Great Replacement" to melt your backup hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BULLSHIT_OVERFLOW

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Amjad Rasmi

David Horsey

Ed Gamble

Jack Ohman

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

John Branch

Lee Judge

Lisa Benson

Matt Davies

Mike Smith

Rivers

Robert (R.J.) Matson

Walt Handelsman

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

His dog... right, okay.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
You have to not know who the artist is to interpret that the intended way because on its face that last guy sure does look an irrational rear end in a top hat

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

What do kids these days wear? Collared shirts underneath sweaters, right?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Biden is so sneaky trying to get votes by promoting the actions he's taken in office.

MJ Feral
May 1, 2024

The Islamic Shock posted:

You have to not know who the artist is to interpret that the intended way because on its face that last guy sure does look an irrational rear end in a top hat

The guy looks like he's heading to a game store to gate-keep Warhammer and/or DND 3E.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
"How DARE Biden do things to get people to want to vote for him by...doing the things people that voted for him wanted him to do!"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jimmy Margulies

Is that meant to be a tattoo gun?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

idontpost69 posted:

not to support mallard but you can't deescalate a situation where one party is intrinsically dependent on violence against you.

You can though, plenty of animals have adaptations to warn or frighten away predators so they don't have to fight. A bright-colored frog is basically saying "hey I'm poisonous" to warn predators because it's small comfort if they die after they eat you. Dogs and cats make menacing noises and puff up because if it works it's better than a risky fight. Bulls stomp to advertise they are ready to charge.

A triceratops probably would attempt to intimidate a raptor into looking for food somewhere else

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 8, 2024

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

VitalSigns posted:

A triceratops probably would attempt to intimidate a raptor into looking for food somewhere else

were any of the contemporary raptors big enough to threaten a triceratops?

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 8, 2024

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Logic Broad Jump

Ted Rall posted:

The linguistic contortions used by supporters of Israel to accuse their critics of antisemitism are truly incredible.

First Dog on the Moon: Book bans! In this economy? Isn't everything hard enough already?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jimmy Margulies

This guy has never seen a tattoo artist at work in his goddamn life

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Bob Gorrell

Chip Bok

Gary Varvel

I know what it looks like, but that's what was on the Creators.com page as his May 8th upload :colbert:.

Mike Luckovich

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

Bob Gorrell

Critical race theory is an elective in law school. There's no way he knows that.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

You can though, plenty of animals have adaptations to warn or frighten away predators so they don't have to fight. A bright-colored frog is basically saying "hey I'm poisonous" to warn predators because it's small comfort if they die after they eat you. Dogs and cats make menacing noises and puff up because if it works it's better than a risky fight. Bulls stomp to advertise they are ready to charge.

Yeah, I think this above all else is what I think makes Fishman's metaphor so awful here: the strawmansaurus is meant to be giving stupid liberal platitudes that are transparently awful advice, but since 'de-escalation' with predators is a pretty common and desirable tactic for many prey animals (and the bulkiness, pointiness, and display crestiness of Triceratops makes it a VERY GOOD CANDIDATE for de-escalation through display; especially since it's not exactly built like a runner) it just turns the cartoon into one animal telling another something obviously correct.

thatbastardken posted:

were any of the contemporary raptors big enough to threaten a triceratops?
Forewarning: I am not a paleontologist, just a trivia guy.
Dakotaraptor was present in the same time and place (they both lived at the very end of the Cretaceous, and what few Dakotaraptor remains we have are from the Hell Creek Formation, which is one of the places you find a lot of Triceratops) and was probably around Utahraptor-sized - ~20 feet long, hundreds of pounds - but Triceratops is quite a bit bigger than that: think comparing a large grizzly bear with a double-sized(!) rhinoceros. There's no direct evidence for the former predating the latter, and that kind of discrepancy in size makes it an uncertain thing to assume without evidence (of course, hunting the young of big animals is usually what a predator's doing anyways, and that changes things, but the concerned Triceratops in the cartoon is presumably an adult). You could hypothesize that this matters less if they were hunting in a pack, but there actually isn't a tremendous amount of evidence for dromaeosaurs group hunting in general, let alone specifically Dakotaraptor. It's sort of funny: the dialogue's assumption of a 'herd of raptors' is the single indication that the lumpy dinosaurs in this cartoon are fresher than the mid-twentieth century.... and that's because it's an out of date assumption from the end of the 20th century.
Really, the stupidly obvious call would have been to make the dangerous predator a Tyrannosaurus, because we know for a fact that they sometimes killed and ate Triceratops.

Skios posted:

Bob Gorrell

God, he just loving hates students, doesn't he? So many words when he could've just written 'DEATH TO THE YOUTH' and expressed his feelings more concisely.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 8, 2024

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
It's not just Utah.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Skios posted:

Bob Gorrell

What, no DEI reference there Gorrell? Sorry, you don't win Buzzword Bingo, no Bass Pro gift card for you.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Ugly John posted:

What, no DEI reference there Gorrell? Sorry, you don't win Buzzword Bingo, no Bass Pro gift card for you.

he's using the outdated version with CRT where DEI should be. shameful really

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When really this would have been the better cartoon for an outdated CRT joke.

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

[/b]

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on Rishi Sunak, desperately trying to look on the bright side – In the wake of the Tories’ desperate showing in last week’s local elections, glimmers of hope are hard to come by for the prime minister"

Telegraph:

John Swinney says he’ll work with unionists after becoming SNP leader

Matt:

Data of 270,000 service personnel ‘exposed in Chinese MoD hack’

Times:

Evening Standard:

Harry and King's rift as wide as ever with 'issues of trust' still to be addressed

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
NYT just published an article that RFK Jr. admitted to having literal loving brainworms so I'm excited to see the creative comics that come in the next day or two.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
The British cartoons will be super easy, at least.
https://youtu.be/0U6iATkArNw?si=QaJ0elo7cQHIqa2B

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

This cartoon is an insult to parrots, which are incredibly intelligent creatures. African greys in particular can understand some of what they say, and have the problem solving ability of an average 5 year old which puts them above Trump.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Skios posted:

Bob Gorrell

14 majors is a really drat impressive accomplishment. I could do without the antisemitism but other than that I wish I'd had the grades and SAT scores to get into Woke U

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It sounds like an easy credit. A couple of curated Stigliches, a quick scan through Garrison, or any randomly picked Sinfest and bam it's just on there.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

14 majors is a really drat impressive accomplishment. I could do without the antisemitism but other than that I wish I'd had the grades and SAT scores to get into Woke U

Maybe it's just a really poorly named course about the history of anti-semitism, you don't know

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Sydney council bans same-sex parenting books from libraries for ‘safety of our children’ (Guardian) (or see last First Dog)

Wilcox:

Rowe:

Lethbridge:

Spooner:

Energy & climate change minister Chris Bowen.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Amjad Rasmi

Ann Telnaes

Bob Englehart

Bill Bramhall

Dick Wright

Ed Gamble

Jack Ohman

Jeff Koterba

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

John Darkow

Lee Judge

Anyone with a knowledge of history would know that students fighting for what's right have a tendency to get shot at. A self-preservation cartoon.

Matt Davies

Matt Wuerker

Mike Smith

Patrick Chappatte

Pedro X. Molina

Phil Hands

Rick McKee

Rivers

https://www.axios.com/2024/05/08/mike-johnson-motion-to-vacate-marjorie-taylor-greene

Taylor Jones

Walt Handelsman

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Is... is that supposed to be Soros?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Shinji2015 posted:

Is... is that supposed to be Soros?

I don't know who else it could be, which says alot :allears:

Also lol at the idea that only some kids in American colleges are protesting. What's Jordan up to these days Kirschen?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

it's like if Leunig had good opinions! but had the same level of skill at poetry

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Angepain posted:

Maybe it's just a really poorly named course about the history of anti-semitism, you don't know

Funny that, I actually took a class in college titled "Nazi Culture" which was a poorly named class about the history of Nazi Germany and analysis of their propaganda films. It was really interesing, but I don't have a relevant cartoon to share so back to the regularly scheduled poo poo.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Nomination: Best Cartoon

See, leunig, you horrible little man, *this* is how you do what you try to do.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Angepain posted:

it's like if Leunig had good opinions! but had the same level of skill at poetry

Honestly, I'll take the straight-forward basic level of poetry here, rather than Leunig's attempts at the Bad Poetry trap of trying to make his crap more flowery and meandering and reaching for grand metaphors for society that his rotten brain can't actually manage successfully.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I am incredibly grossed out by "World's Cutest Li'l Speaker". Why was that necessary, what the gently caress does that add to the message?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Bill Bramhall

...how is this NOT an edit?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Kelley

Yes, Steve, it's the left that happily coexists with actual Nazis...

Tom Stiglich

Skios fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021