Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The subtitles definitely had some awkward phrasing at times. But the use of "mr." in that moment made sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Gundam Seed Freedom is extremely good.

It really feels like they had a broad outline for a third season of Gundam Seed that they decided to do as a movie. But instead of becoming a confusing mess like F91, it works out very well by just forcing the movie to move at a very brisk pace.

It's hit a kind of sweet spot with the characters, where enough time has passed since the originals that they're willing to poke fun at their foibles while still respecting them and their journeys. And the new characters get time to shine and be memorable too, like Agnes Giebenrath, The Woman Who Causes Problems.

And the whole third act is just a fantastic spectacle. Every single character gets at least one cool moment, you've got Lacus doing loving Buster Machine poo poo, Mu La Flaga getting too drat old for this making the impossible possible poo poo, Super Z'Gok just absolutely wrecking a spaceport, Athrun doing the Overman King Gainer trick for fooling psychics, it's just so much and it's all very fun

And I gotta give a big preemptive congratulations to the winner of 2025's best Gundam character twitter tournament, Unnamed Dark-Skinned Compass Soldier! He gets 7 seconds of screentime and utterly dominates them.

Agreed. Don't have much to add to this but it's a good post!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Maybe I'm just blanking... but when?

Phase shift could be knocked out by beating on it until it ran out of power, but the only nuclear suit to ever power down mid combat was the Destiny in a continuity error they cleared up by saying 'it was a prototype and something borked'. Always felt functionally inviolate in SEED and Destiny.

I suppose Shinn also manages two stab based victories against the freedom and destroy, but they 'fix' those in the remaster by adding a beam tip to the anti-ship sword. when it doesn't have it anywhere else.

It was there since SEED. The Gundam Hammer the Raider had was designed to wear down Phase Shift. It is how Freedom was disabled when trying to save Flay.

Blitz's darts were also designed to gently caress up Phase Shift but obviously they never came into play against Freedom.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 8, 2024

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
As a birthday treat, I saw Seed Freedom last night, without having seen Seed or Destiny, and knowing almost nothing about the Cosmic Era (seriously, whenever people have talked about it in here my eyes glazed over). You know what? I kinda liked it. It wasn’t nearly the trainwreck people were anticipating/hyping up, and I had a good time watching it. I was worried about understanding the basic narrative when the first 10-15 minutes was nonstop jargon and catch-up from Destiny, but it settled into a pretty simple story after that. The character writing ain’t the greatest, no one sticks out as a particularly interesting character, but it was serviceable. The final battle was way too goddamn long, and maybe it’s because I haven’t seen any CE stuff before, but it was difficult to tell who was shooting who, what with how fast the camera/editing were and the amount of poo poo happening.

I’m a big fan of the Black Knights doing the Limiter Override from my beloved F91 Gundam F91, and Shura Serpentine is just a great Gundam name.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I thought more about the movie. I know some people are going to try to say it's so bad it's good, but no it's just good.

What makes the movie really work is how strong the theme is and how integrated it into the plot and the character arcs. "You don't love someone because you need them, you need them because you love them" doesn't just rebut the bad guy's evil scheme, it also concludes all the major character arcs. And having that simple handle on pretty much everything that happens in the movie is what lets the movie move so fast and have such a large cast. All that spectacle is resting on that strong foundation

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMGDPDed36s

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
For as shallow as he is, I kind of like Gym Ghingham and I enjoy how every single person under him is just insanely incompetent at everything they do.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
As I've described to others, Seed Freedom is a wonderfully awful movie. If you are going into it expecting a grounded, serious, Real Robot film. You are not going to get that. If you go into it expecting the campiest fun and sheer nonsense? It's great. It's the Godzilla vs Kong 2 of Mecha films. Is it a good plot? Is that really why you're watching a Seed film?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uh oh, an ESRB warning for in-game purchases.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That usually just means there's DLC but random items...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Uh oh, an ESRB warning for in-game purchases.

We already know there is going to be some form of DLC for it, the season pass is part of the Ultimate Edition. Gundam Breaker 3 also had DLC.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I spotted Tryon 3 in the box art screen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was thinking it's about time for my yearly watch of CCA and was looking into the 4K release since I can do that now, but apparently the grading on the 4K master is pretty cheeks and I'd probably be better off with the 1080

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/_HeirToTheStars/status/1788249451083043162?t=obpMA-7xB3t9PPZeQJbsXw&s=19

You cannot escape French Amuro.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I thought more about the movie. I know some people are going to try to say it's so bad it's good, but no it's just good.

What makes the movie really work is how strong the theme is and how integrated it into the plot and the character arcs. "You don't love someone because you need them, you need them because you love them" doesn't just rebut the bad guy's evil scheme, it also concludes all the major character arcs. And having that simple handle on pretty much everything that happens in the movie is what lets the movie move so fast and have such a large cast. All that spectacle is resting on that strong foundation

I need to see it to be sure, but it seems like even the so bad it's good descriptors for the film are usually acknowledging what works. That is, the film is goofy as heck, but it leans into it and knows what it's aiming for, rather than having failed at some other goal. That said, you seem to be right about the core. Taking a fandom joke about Kira and Lacus's relationship and making it into the film's emotional core is slick as they come.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nuebot posted:

For as shallow as he is, I kind of like Gym Ghingham and I enjoy how every single person under him is just insanely incompetent at everything they do.

I dunno, Merrybell seems to get poo poo done fairly well. It's just Sweatson who's kind of a disaster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean for any flaws the SEED film has, it offers exactly what it promised which is more SEED. It addressed some complaints (mostly around Shin) but at the end of the day it was the movie diehard SEED fans wanted more or less and appears to have had enough to at least draw attention outside of that specific demographic.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

I spotted Tryon 3 in the box art screen.

There's an incomplete unit list if you're interested in spoiling poo poo you probably already know:
https://gb.ggame.jp/2024/gunpla/

I'm pleasantly surprised by what they include and really hope the gameplay is as good as it looks, it might be perfect. Except that price. Whoof ninety bucks for the deluxe edition.

For DLC speculation I'm going to toss out the most obvious choices of SEED Freedom, WfM and Moon Gundam for at least three of them.

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, Merrybell seems to get poo poo done fairly well. It's just Sweatson who's kind of a disaster.

I've only seen Merrybell for one episode and she seems to just hang back telling Loran Gym's entire plot and motivation while Loran fucks around. Also Midgard is a tool, too.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Seed Freedom is an appalling mess of a movie, and the fact that we might've got less Witch because of it is almost insulting.

The dub is...okay. The script seems like it has a lot of "its going to be this, even though it doesnt make sense in english, because Banrise said so" moments. I'm always going to be partial to the old Ocean cast for Seed anyway, although I'll say that for the few lines he has as Durandal, Keith Silverstein absolutely knocks it out of the park.

It's just...I don't even know where to start. The action is nice, I guess, but the writing is just so unbelievably bad it sucks any of the fun out of it all.

also I called it, nothing at all about Coordinator sterility

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 9, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Seed Freedom is an appalling mess of a movie, and the fact that we might've got less Witch because of it is almost insulting.

That's good because the two have nothing to do with each other.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Banrise can in fact make multiple baffling decisions and have projects go through different types of development hell simultaneously.

Still haven't seen Freedom. The downtown theatre doesn't have it playing and the showtimes at the theatres on the edge of Ottawa aren't ideal for me.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There are plenty of other reasons we didn't get enough G-Witch. Freedomhad nothing to do with it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It's not a mess at all, it's actually extremely cohesive. There are plenty of reasonable criticisms you can make, but "mess" isn't one of them.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

There's an incomplete unit list if you're interested in spoiling poo poo you probably already know:
https://gb.ggame.jp/2024/gunpla/

I'm pleasantly surprised by what they include and really hope the gameplay is as good as it looks, it might be perfect. Except that price. Whoof ninety bucks for the deluxe edition.

For DLC speculation I'm going to toss out the most obvious choices of SEED Freedom, WfM and Moon Gundam for at least three of them.

I've only seen Merrybell for one episode and she seems to just hang back telling Loran Gym's entire plot and motivation while Loran fucks around. Also Midgard is a tool, too.

Very nice list. I'm left wondering how the hell Fuunsaiki is going to work. But that explains something from the trailer.

Wish we were getting more Build Fighters stuff though, like the Crossbone X Maoh or the Gyancelot.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the #1 reason we didn't get more witch is literally nobody gets a 50 episode run anymore outside of yearly tokusatsu

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hell, even IBO was technically two 25 episode seasons

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Very nice list. I'm left wondering how the hell Fuunsaiki is going to work. But that explains something from the trailer.

Wish we were getting more Build Fighters stuff though, like the Crossbone X Maoh or the Gyancelot.

Fuunsaiki is in Gundam BReaker 3 too. It can't be straight built but I believe you can use the parts.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I was thinking it's about time for my yearly watch of CCA and was looking into the 4K release since I can do that now, but apparently the grading on the 4K master is pretty cheeks and I'd probably be better off with the 1080

EG did a pretty good 4k release you can find it on the cat sound site

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And Gwitch was pretty conclusively ended in its run, its not got much else to go on. :\

unless.

Somehow Prospera has returned.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plenty you could still do with G Witch. Like what Vanadis Heart has been doing. Though that's been going on for nearly a year now and has only just gotten to the first major story beat for what it's main conflict will be about.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched the last episode of Gundam 0083. Gato's characterization is inconsistent. Early on he tells the guys who help him get the GP02 off earth that they should immediately surrender, their part is done and there's no point in them dying. But at the end, after Operation Stardust has succeeded, he commands his whole force to do a suicide charge at the Federation Navy. His justification is that if even one guy gets through, they will be able to tell the galaxy what they did.

But that doesn't make any sense, the galaxy will obviously know what he did. The galaxy not knowing what he did is simply not an option at that point.

And on that matter, Jaburo not being the target doesn't make any sense either. Dropping a colony on Jaburo, sure, that was the original target of Operation British, it's the seat of the Federation government. It's a monstrous thing to do, but it makes sense. What's the point of dropping it on North America? The only possible reason is that he wanted to cause a global famine. And he's like, "others will carry this torch forward" or some poo poo, and it's like, what torch? Is it just genocide? Was that the part of Zeon that Gato liked all along? He was never in it for Spacenoid independence or mankind's evolution into Newtypes, he was only in it for the mass murder? That's the only way to square the poo poo he says with the thing he does.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

EG did a pretty good 4k release you can find it on the cat sound site

Yeah, I got that one. That was the 29 gigs I was referring to lmao. Hopefully Plex can handle it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Fuunsaiki is in Gundam BReaker 3 too. It can't be straight built but I believe you can use the parts.

Ah, I must've never got that far.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
SEED Freedom is better than Unicorn, but I've also never seen Gundam villains get got as hard as the villains in SEED FREEDOM got got.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

Fuunsaiki is in 3, IIRC you have to manually derive its parts from other parts. Given how many build fighters stuff there are in this one, I wouldn't be surprised if we were given the tools to make stuff like the Maoh kits and whatnot. IIRC the Crossbone X Maoh didn't have that much unique about it aside from the giant chest skull, right?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'm considering a rewatch of Unicorn, does the tv edit add anything or should I stick with the OVAs?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
TV edit adds OPs and EDs and recaps. Just watch the OVAs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I got that one. That was the 29 gigs I was referring to lmao. Hopefully Plex can handle it.

E: honestly 4K on Plex ain't worth it unless I pay up it seems

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 9, 2024

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Gripweed posted:

It's not a mess at all, it's actually extremely cohesive. There are plenty of reasonable criticisms you can make, but "mess" isn't one of them.

It's definitely a mess lmao. What was the deal with Michael? The movie doesn't know and it doesn't care.

He's the focus of the first half of the movie and they bring up all these unanswered questions about him and it's never made clear how he doing what he's doing, it seems like it's going to be revealed that actually he was backed by Foundation or that Orphee was secretly Michael the whole time and that's how he managed everything but the movie never says either and I don't think he was mentioned once after Kira gets diverted from being brainwashed into trying to kill him.

I had a good time! It was really bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

SEED Freedom is better than Unicorn, but I've also never seen Gundam villains get got as hard as the villains in SEED FREEDOM got got.

Somebody mentioned Seed Freedom doing what F91 couldn't do and I think it's a good comparsion given that it's Villain is maybe lamer and more owned than Iron Mask Carozzo