Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Soonmot posted:

I am sucha sucker for vampires, so of course I loved Blood Hunt. I did not expect the twist at the end, but I knew something was up before that. The Moon Knight tie in was great too, making 8 Ball into an actual character instead of a joke is a fun ride. But the d tier working villain turning thier life around is another story arc I love.

I'm really curious where it's heading. So much of it was built up in Moon Knight that I have to imagine that the resolution is going to deal with that too. That's why I really hope it ends with Marc returning and kicking some vampire rear end, since besides Blade he's probably their worst nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

MonsterEnvy posted:

If it’s Brock he’s pretty devout and caring about things that don’t get on his bad side.

Yeah this is "protector of the innocent" Venom and I guess it's a logical and very early 90s step to say that Mother Nature is the biggest innocent of all.

I suspect that the real answer is that Duane saw Venom as a good mouthpiece for environmentalist views - there's one bit in I think the Lizard Sanction where Venom specifically takes issue with the Sellafield nuclear plant in England, which was weirdly specific enough that I assumed it was her personal beef.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess this direction makes sense for blade after a mini where he catastrophically fucks up again and again. he just said "gently caress it" and decided to unleash another apocalypse, but on purpose this time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

quote:

As Captain America moved toward its three hundredth issue, Shooter started reworking dialogue at the last minute. The writer, J. M. DeMatteis, was in the midst of a yearlong story, building to a climax in which the Red Skull, Captain America’s archenemy of nearly half a century, was killed. An exhausted Captain America would hurl his shield into the East River, walk away, and try to find a meaningful life as Steve Rogers. “My idea,’ said DeMatteis, “was that Captain America’s gonna just say, “You know what? I’ve tried punching people and dropping buildings on their heads for forty years, and there has to be another way. He was ultimately going to become a global peace activist which was going to create all kinds of problems for him—the government would turn against him, all the Marvel heroes would turn against him, and the only allies to support him would be Doctor Doom and the Sub-Mariner. I had recast the Bucky of the 1950s as Nomad; he was basically going to freak out about all this and, in the end, assassinate Captain America.” Black Crow, a Native American character that DeMatteis had created, would now be the new Captain America.

I wonder if this would have actually worked if it had been allowed to go through? Did the comics ever attempt anything like this?

I remember when Cap died her were a slew of possible successors but that's different. Also that was some crazy poo poo. I went to comic stors back then like I noted earlier, and it was always pretty dead. But then Captain America died in some issue I was thinking about randomly getting. ONly it was all sold out and I'm hearing reports about it on the television news. In 2007 or 2008 or whatever. Just cool to think about. It shows the spark of life that animated comics in the 80s with people losing their mind about Jean Grey or Elektra dying is still around, even in this age when "comic book character deaths" are seen as a total joke.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

NikkolasKing posted:

Ther are so many more of these Marvel novelizations or original prose stories than I ever thought, and so many have been adapted into audiobooks. I'm getting sucked down a rabbit hole.

X-Men and Spider-Man: Time's Arrow: A Marvel Omnibus

X-Men Mutant Empire

Daredevil: Predator's Smile. I pickd this one up since I'm in a DD mood and figured why not. Apparently mostly about Bullseye.

Then there are novelizations of important comics stories:
Daredevil: Guardian Devil I've head ithe original story is not great but it is kinda important so I might just listen to this rather than read teh comic, I dunno.

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear

X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga.

Just curious if anyone here has read any of this and what they thought.

I read Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours, by the author of the Dresden Files, and that's a personal favourite of mine. It's actually a great time capsule of the JMS era right before the wheels started coming off with Sins Past. I'd definitely recommend it.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Well like you I'm also far behind the average person in this thread but I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you read if you care to share them. It's a fascinating book.

And I'm sure everyone here has read all the Daredevil stuff I plan to dive into but I'd still like to post my thoughts on them once I get around to it. It's no fun keeping thoughts all to yourself, you know.

Wise words!

It is a fascinating book. Does anyone know of any major reactions or responses to the book from the players involved, or from other journalists or scholars?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

I read Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours, by the author of the Dresden Files, and that's a personal favourite of mine. It's actually a great time capsule of the JMS era right before the wheels started coming off with Sins Past. I'd definitely recommend it.

That does sound interesting, and it's on Audible, so will def check it out. Thank you.

Also, speaking of Spiderman, I was on r/Spiderman and saw it has a link to help Peter David....
https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

You know, I feel gross enough reading some parts of Untold Story about how they laid off veterans of the company, old friends and dutiful hands for decades. But that's 'ancient history" now and it was when they were poor as dirt in the mid 90s. This thing happening with Mr. David is current, and the company has no excuse now it's part of the House of Mouse. He was just writing for them last year I thought, I saw that joe Fixit series. Point is, i can brush off the grossness in the book like you do with any bit of history, while the stuff with David makes me feel gross right now for giving them any money.

EDIT:

quote:

It was realism in ways that only comics readers defined the term: pessimistic, violent, and more concerned with repercussions than with moments of transcendence.

This is discussing The Ultimates but I don't think it's fair to attribute this idea of realism to just comic book fans. I think it's just a mood, I've seen the mood in all forms of media all my life. It described the mood of a lot of things in the early 2000s, not just comic books. We've kinda gotten past the South Park mindset but it's inevitable we'll head back to it at some point and "realism" will once again be pessimistic and violent.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 6, 2024

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's been close to a decade since I read it but one bit in The Untold Story that sticks with me is that in the 60s, Stan Lee gave Jerry Siegel some bullshit job in the office because he thought it was a bad look for the co-creator of Superman to be broke and unemployed. Of course, it probably wasn't a great look for the co-creator of Superman to be doing random office work in his 50s, either.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If you let him make new comics he makes crap like Funnyman he's safe with office supplies

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Finished Untold Story. Great read. Kinda funny to think about JMS and Whedon only started writing because someone was like "hey, you're a famous TV guy, can you write comics for us?" And yet it worked out brilliantly based on all I've heard or read myself, as seen in the above panels. I loved that comic so much. Thinking about JMS made me want to revisit it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been rereading Hickman's Avengers and it's wild how so much poo poo just *happens* and then like 10 issues later turns out to be super important. I also just forgot a ton of it. It's like I never read it at all.

I'm also mildly salty the second omnibus does NOT include Secret Wars (the first included Infinity). I have it digitally, but I've been enjoying reading massive tomes, and I never got the SW omni because I wrongly assumed the main story was in these. Whoops!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So it seems like Blade isn't really the bad guy in Blood Hunt and looks more like he's possessed or something.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

So it seems like Blade isn't really the bad guy in Blood Hunt and looks more like he's possessed or something.

Can't be the bad guy if he's got a vidya game and (whenever it happens) movie coming out!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It is an insanely boring motivation for what should be something interesting.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Blood Hunters 1 is a fun read if anyone was on the fence about picking it up. The Declan Shalvey variant rules.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

How Shadowland of them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Does every Blood Hunt tie-in have the extra gore versions, or is it just the main series?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gripweed posted:

Does every Blood Hunt tie-in have the extra gore versions, or is it just the main series?

Based on the extensive reading list at the end of the books, just the main series.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Wait were people assuming he wasn't possessed? They're not going to Parallax Blade.

e: I realize after posting it that they are in fact Parallaxing Blade in a way but I meant specifically the "hero goes from 0 to world-destroying villain in one issue" way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Wait were people assuming he wasn't possessed? They're not going to Parallax Blade.

e: I realize after posting it that they are in fact Parallaxing Blade in a way but I meant specifically the "hero goes from 0 to world-destroying villain in one issue" way

They did it to Bishop once.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Which isn't even the first time this has happened to the poor guy

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Better that than Hero can't control his actions epic Heroes in Crisis.

Blood Hunt has been pretty good so far overall, but it was an unfortunate thought I had.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

On the other hand, Parallax Blade is my cool Fighting game super move

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

ImpAtom posted:

They did it to Bishop once.

did they ever reconcile how the mutant responsible for the crackdown on mutantkind in Bishop's time goes from being Xavier-as-Onslaught to being Hope?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is an insanely boring motivation for what should be something interesting.

I could be wrong and it's something else but I dunno what when he's talking about planning this for epochs. Maybe some enemy of Konshu like Set or something.

They also keep saying they want heroes to join them but not why. So maybe this is all to get an army for another purpose.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

did they ever reconcile how the mutant responsible for the crackdown on mutantkind in Bishop's time goes from being Xavier-as-Onslaught to being Hope?

Bishop's original timeline was prevented in Onslaught: X-Men when Bishop saved the X-Men from Onslaught.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's not how time travel works (unless you are doom), though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I remain excited to see more about vampire super villain. They all do a good job of evoking the almost silly modern Dracula redesign, and being distinct weirdos is always nice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its going to be a surprise Midnight Suns crossover

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Spitfire is bound to show up to help spank her pain in the rear end son in this Avengers story, right? Come to think of it who are the canonical good guy vampires? There's her and the girl that was working with Moon Knight. Morbius doesn't count because he's a Living Vampire, as the comics code hath decreed acceptable

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

Spitfire is bound to show up to help spank her pain in the rear end son in this Avengers story, right? Come to think of it who are the canonical good guy vampires? There's her and the girl that was working with Moon Knight. Morbius doesn't count because he's a Living Vampire, as the comics code hath decreed acceptable

Jubilee is vampire adjacent?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Jubilee is vampire adjacent?

Yeah, but she's one hundred percent mutant now. Shame of it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, but she's one hundred percent mutant now. Shame of it.

Does she still have any cultural connections to vampires?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Vamp Jubilee was a dumb af throwing poo poo at a wall thing after she got depowered, I am glad it's done and over with.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Does she still have any cultural connections to vampires?

She did some vampire hunting with Dazzler, Boom Boom and the good Wolverine in the amazing X-terminaters mini-series.

I was fine with her being a vampire. The only thing I want to change is she should have been a vampire with her mutant powers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Has Shogo been seen since the last Hellfire Gala? I feel like he hasn’t been in anything at least since before X-Terminators. (I haven’t read Realm of X yet.)

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

OnimaruXLR posted:

I would imagine Spitfire might show up in Union Jack the Ripper.

Weird to see Kate Bishop in Avengers not even bring up that her mom is a vampire.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Spacebump posted:

Has Shogo been seen since the last Hellfire Gala? I feel like he hasn’t been in anything at least since before X-Terminators. (I haven’t read Realm of X yet.)

He might have been shown getting dropped off for the Braddocks to babysit? I'm pretty sure he wasn't dragoning it up in Realm but I couldn't guarantee it because my brain fully slid off that series.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Sentinel Red posted:

Vamp Jubilee was a dumb af throwing poo poo at a wall thing after she got depowered, I am glad it's done and over with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Haha, remember when Jubes was depowered, but not a vampire yet, and they had her join the New Warriors and she got cybernetic thingies that simulated her powers BUT BETTER??

And then no one ever mentioned them again?