Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ulio posted:

From Tom Warren article.

That's Matt Booty, probably one of the worst people in management I've seen.

Xbox management has to be one of the most incompetent. They literally been getting carried by Microsoft money.

Matt Booty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

univbee posted:

"You were always nice to me. Don't sign into Xbox Live tomorrow."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Matthew rear end.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
console war guys hate talking about Nintendo, who has won the ever loving gently caress out of two generations with the same portable xbox360 with more RAM

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

No one is talking about Hellblade 2 either which is coming out in 2 weeks. Meanwhile atleast Stellar Blade got so much publicity with the demo + drama.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
At least everyone is still playing and talking about megahit Palworld right?

Legit tho if they want to make gamepass the non big games then cut the cost massively. I wouldn't be opposed to a few bucks a month for games like Planet of Lana on a steady trickle.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

syntaxfunction posted:

I was curious so I looked on steam charts and Palworld is sitting at no. 62 with 15.4k people in game. Keeping in mind that a lot of people are probably playing on gamepass also that's pretty decent. It's just below cyberpunk RDR2 and POE. I actually wanna give it a shot when it's more ironed out. It might be good to try now, there were a lot of big issues on launch.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

syntaxfunction posted:

When sites were going hog wild riding the "dying game" line, the CM put out a very good response.

I've not put too much time into it because other stuff came up but I had a lot of fun with it and it's pretty adorable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

"You were always nice to me. Don't sign into Xbox Live tomorrow."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

This is legit one of my favourite images of all time

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Why did they buy activision in the first place again? They don't much interested in the whole "making video games" thing

They probably thought they could use Activision’s insane revenue cash cows and IP to prop up Xbox and Gamepass, which could only be sustainable if it kept greatly increasing both subscription price and user base year on year like Netflix. I think Xbox wanted 100 million subscribers by 2030.

But Xbox is such an awfully run business that any reasonable businessman like Satya Nadella would see Activision as the future forward and not this arm of the company that was putting out like zero growth and losing market share. Xbox barely makes any games at it is and half the poo poo they put out comes out broken like Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport.

In a strange way, Activision was such a huge purchase that it makes no sense for it to not replace Xbox if you look at the financials alone. And unlike Bethesda and Xbox, they can reliably put out a big game every year.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I hope they don’t ditch Game Pass. That poo poo has been the best thing ever for me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game Pass has way too many subscribers to just get rid of it. Its not going anywhere.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
has anybody tried the kitty game

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

jeffreyw posted:

They probably thought they could use Activision’s insane revenue cash cows and IP to prop up Xbox and Gamepass, which could only be sustainable if it kept greatly increasing both subscription price and user base year on year like Netflix. I think Xbox wanted 100 million subscribers by 2030.

But Xbox is such an awfully run business that any reasonable businessman like Satya Nadella would see Activision as the future forward and not this arm of the company that was putting out like zero growth and losing market share. Xbox barely makes any games at it is and half the poo poo they put out comes out broken like Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport.

In a strange way, Activision was such a huge purchase that it makes no sense for it to not replace Xbox if you look at the financials alone. And unlike Bethesda and Xbox, they can reliably put out a big game every year.

Also the thing is that if Phil just did small purchases, I don't think Satya or Microsoft would have turned the eye of sauron on them. But with 70B on the expenditure financial statement is HUGE.

Phil/xbox management really hosed themselves here. They had just gotten Bethesda and I am sure they would have gotten the time to get their games as exclusives and no Microsoft interference.

But of course Phil is clueless and is surrounded by dumbasses so he kept pushing for more acquisition. From the ABK lawsuit, we know from the leaked emails, higher ups from Microsoft(not xbox) were already questioning how just buying more studios made any sense when gamepass growth slowed quite a bit.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Phil delved too deep, too greedily

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Ulio posted:

Also the thing is that if Phil just did small purchases, I don't think Satya or Microsoft would have turned the eye of sauron on them. But with 70B on the expenditure financial statement is HUGE.

Phil/xbox management really hosed themselves here. They had just gotten Bethesda and I am sure they would have gotten the time to get their games as exclusives and no Microsoft interference.

But of course Phil is clueless and is surrounded by dumbasses so he kept pushing for more acquisition. From the ABK lawsuit, we know from the leaked emails, higher ups from Microsoft(not xbox) were already questioning how just buying more studios made any sense when gamepass growth slowed quite a bit.

look he wanted to play wow without being associated with kotick and satya gave him a solid.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phil forgot he was buying activision because he got too busy playing Vampire Survivor.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Phil is a Chud

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Phil is a Chud

Mask off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Professor Beetus posted:

This is the reality of capitalism, it's a poo poo spiral that is accelerating and enshittifying everything at an alarming rate. Enjoy the things you like while you can because it's only going to get worse.
Will we get another Fallout game before the polar ice caps melt, is the question

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Ulio posted:

Phil should just drip feed CoD's to game pass to get people hooked and unable to unsub. :sludgepal:

Actually it's odd how few ABK titles have come to GP. Maybe there'll be a big panic drop at the next event to distract from the studio closures.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FlamingLiberal posted:

Will we get another Fallout game before the polar ice caps melt, is the question

ten years ago this would be a bit of funny hyperbole. in 2024 it's a pretty reasonable question

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can tell you where my money is going, and it's not on Todd

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my money is going, in the freaking gas pump, because of the god drat gas prices

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Oh wow, 422 new posts in the Xbox thread! Something exciting must've happened!

... Oh no. Oh Jesus Christ. :gonk:

.. There isn't going to be 12 pages of this, isn't there? gently caress.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Oh wow, 422 new posts in the Xbox thread! Something exciting must've happened!

... Oh no. Oh Jesus Christ. :gonk:

.. There isn't going to be 12 pages of this, isn't there? gently caress.

shaddap

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Seltzer posted:

All of your posts are trashing phil and doom posting about the company. You're exactly the type I'm talking about. I swear you people spend more time thinking about video game news and politicking then playing games. It's weird. Same poo poo happened for a week when xbox put high fi rush and sea of thieves on PS5 and acted like the sky was falling.

They're just the stereotypical Twitter trolls, console warriors and manbabies. They have the IQ of a corn cob and most likely smell bad.

Anyhoo, I was wrong about the kitty game coming out yesterday, it comes out today. On Game Pass, the best deal in gaming.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Little Kitty, Big City doesn't show as available yet on Game Pass for me, but i'll check tomorrow morning.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Ulio posted:

From Tom Warren article.

That's Matt Booty, probably one of the worst people in management I've seen.

Xbox management has to be one of the most incompetent. They literally been getting carried by Microsoft money.

Fun fact: Matt Booty was the guy that mismanaged midway (the original home of Mortal Kombat, Crusin’USA, and other IP) so bad they went bankrupt and were totally worthless if I recall WB scooped them up for less than 10 million

90sgamer fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 9, 2024

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

jeffreyw posted:

reasonable businessman like Satya Nadella

Excuse me sir this is a no-trolling zone

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Satya is as ruthless as Bill Gates was. But I guess you have to be to become the CEO of a megacap company.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

John F Bennett posted:

They're just the stereotypical Twitter trolls, console warriors and manbabies. They have the IQ of a corn cob and most likely smell bad.

Anyhoo, I was wrong about the kitty game coming out yesterday, it comes out today. On Game Pass, the best deal in gaming.

are you okay

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

are you okay

Pretty good, thanks for asking. It's a public holiday yet I am at the office, but it's okay because I'm only here to oversee the finishing touches of a project.

Tonight is the second semifinals of Eurovision, so something I'm looking forward to. I may find some time to play the kitty game before that.

How are you today?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I remote installed the kitty game through the xbox mobile app but it won't launch yet!!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Matthew rear end.

Ol' Matty Cheeks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feel bad for Phil, he worked so hard to get Activision on xbox and now the usual ne'er-do-wells online are taking shots at him 😔

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Feel bad for Phil, he worked so hard to get Activision on xbox and now the usual ne'er-do-wells online are taking shots at him 😔

Those people should just stop caring about news and politics and play their drat games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bumhead posted:

Ol' Matty Cheeks

Matthias Bum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I would not mind a closer integration with PC. It's almost obvious that the classic console gaming model won't last another decade. In the end, PC gaming will probably be the one that remains, with Xbox (Microsoft Gaming) as the biggest video game creator and publisher.

The future of gaming seems bright to me, just different. It's about the games, not what you play them on. Just buy the box that fits best with your entertainment center and have access to all the games.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 9, 2024