Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
torygraph/news/2024/05/08/children-must-show-id-to-use-social-media/

So how is this going to work then?
Kids having to show passports to get online? AI guessing age from images?

Surely they'll just borrow the passport or other ID from an older person & sign up for whatever they want?

Maybe algorithms shouldn't push any of that stuff.

Much simpler to barcode everyone on the forehead or insert a microchip in everyone's neck & keep them on a pet register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

I'm just going through his production credits and pulling out the bangers. Guy has recorded at least one legendary album per decade since the 80s.

I'd put it closer to 1 a year since the mid-80s. He was involved to some extent on so many albums dear to my heart, from Pod to A Sun That Never Sets to Goat to Blessed Black Wings to Surfer Rosa to Yanqui U.X.O. to 24 Hour Revenge Therapy and too many others to list. Without even touching upon his own musical output on all-time records like Atomizer, Songs About loving, At Action Park, 1000 Hurts...

He was also very funny in a quite mean & caustic way that as an overly opinionated music nerd I find very relatable.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
he was a good poster

i also really recommend this interview from him last year about learning to stop being a lovely edgelord

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/aug/15/the-evolution-of-steve-albini-if-the-dumbest-person-is-on-your-side-youre-on-the-wrong-side

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Angepain posted:

there's still a few months left probably, i think the tories should give michael gove a shot at prime minister just for the bants

More chance of him defecting to Labour

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

All going well for Israel at Eurovision I see. Even non camp song enjoyers might want to tune into the semi final tomorrow night to see if the booing and chants can beat tonight’s rehearsal

https://twitter.com/alphaglitchgirl/status/1788317545272955016?s=46

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-68980700

congrats to keith on uniting the entire part spectrum from john mcdonnell through to rosie loving duffield into publicly coming out against accepting elphicke lol, amazing acumen

odds thatthis the same senior figure who was yelling my last week about hamas costing them the West Midlands?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Apraxin posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-68980700

congrats to keith on uniting the entire part spectrum from john mcdonnell through to rosie loving duffield into publicly coming out against accepting elphicke lol, amazing acumen

odds thatthis the same senior figure who was yelling my last week about hamas costing them the West Midlands?

It’s Wes

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Next up as the new labour candidate for Islingtoh North, the zombified corpses of Jimmy Saville and OJ Simpson, chimaeraed into the same body.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

smellmycheese posted:

All going well for Israel at Eurovision I see. Even non camp song enjoyers might want to tune into the semi final tomorrow night to see if the booing and chants can beat tonight’s rehearsal

Tuning in to watch the booing still counts as ratings. As does buying a ticket to stand there and boo.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Angepain posted:

Tuning in to watch the booing still counts as ratings. As does buying a ticket to stand there and boo.

Personally I think seeing her get booed offstage tomorrow night will send an extremely powerful message that will piss off all the right people

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

In fact I can hear the typewriters at the mail and telegraph already cranking up to claim the disgusting audience full of gays and freaks are natural Hamas lovers and what Hamas would do to them if they went to Gaza. Nailed on.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's gotta be one of those shitearse US christian-offshoot cults that promise rich people it is actually possible to pay your way out of sin, to us, via monthly direct debit. The bible says no. No don't look at that bit. Or that bit. Just uhhh... A very selective possible translation of this one bit of the old testament.

I don't know what church Rand baptised into, but Grylls always was a fairly boring inspirational quotes boy scout community ARE VETS C of E kind of Christian. Used to teach the Alpha course (not that alpha, the Alpha and the Omega one) even. Who just happens to own a small island, now that I think about it. Haven't heard him espouse any particularly awful opinions, though.

E: Considering Brand's background, I imagine he was baptised as a child, so most likely it is one of those Evangelical churches that don't recognise infant baptism/allow multiple baptisms.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 9, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Grylls is still an active and complicit part of that Alpha Course brainwashing cult. Here's an article where he explains why he stood by Brand when he was baptised - https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/russell-brand-bear-grylls-baptism-b2540954.html

gently caress Grylls imo (as in the 'get in the sea' sense, not literally)

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 9, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't think the Alpha course is a brainwashing cult. Unless you consider any type of religious outreach a brainwashing cult, in which case fair enough.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Ed Balls - National Treasure

Mr Balls

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Paladinus posted:

I don't think the Alpha course is a brainwashing cult. Unless you consider any type of religious outreach a brainwashing cult, in which case fair enough.

I know vulnerable people who were swept up in this nonsense, and they ended up disconnecting from their families and friends and ended up in bad mental health places, The tactics used and the end result seemed like textbook branwashing culty behaviour to me.

e: Pretty certain this is the same alpha stuff - https://alpha.org.uk/. I also haven't ruled out the possibility that the experiences I know of were simply due to bad people operating under the Alpha banner, but it tainted my view of them.

e2: 30p Lee is trending, and I think it's due to this pic:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 9, 2024

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
loving gutted about Albini's passing. That guy was responsible for about 2/3rds of the bands and albums I loved growing up.

Everyone at school was into Korn, Oasis, Rage Against The Machine etc. and there was moody little me, scowling and listening to Big Black. Songs About loving is still one of the most raw, spiteful albums I've ever heard.

RIP to a real one, he was an absolute giant when it came to recreating a bands best ever live set in the studio. He's setting up 17 mics around the drum kit in the afterlife now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paladinus posted:

It's religious outreach by a sect that appoints unelected holy men to the upper house of a nuclear armed state, so at a minimum it's worth analysing through the same lens of how we'd look at anyone else doing that kind of thing.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1788477030205452582
https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1788477624307560918
I absolutely detest these lying and gaslighting cunts

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

guardian are reporting that the other MPs are upset with starmer which may be true, but so what? would be funny if it’s the straw which broke the camels back in any future leadership challenge though, as we all know keir is going to make a blunder at some point, real or media concocted

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dunno why Dodds is getting poo poo for a simple and rational explanation: Diane is black.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why is Ed Balls reading the news?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Why is Ed Balls reading the news?

He's well on his way to national treasure status, dontchaknow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like it doesn't even make political sense, what 2019 Tory is going to respect a Labour party for their conciliatory approach? Tell her to gently caress off and sit as independent because labour doesn't need her, that is a flex everyone can respect.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Like it doesn't even make political sense, what 2019 Tory is going to respect a Labour party for their conciliatory approach? Tell her to gently caress off and sit as independent because labour doesn't need her, that is a flex everyone can respect.

the logic is labour voters have no where else to go, so flank the tories from the right and you have instant 70% of all votes not going to reform. no i will not consider the workers party / greens/ libdems as a threat

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair isn't she explicitly crossing the floor with a promise to not contest the seat in a GE?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68980947

quote:

It all happened pretty quickly and barely anyone in Westminster saw it coming.

Rishi Sunak, I'm told, only found out about Natalie Elphicke's defection moments before Prime Minister's Questions.

Some senior Conservatives, when they first got wind she was leaving, assumed she was joining Reform UK.

Natalie Elphicke's very discreet conversations with Labour had gone on for a few weeks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But I don't think he is flanking them from the right, cos the right is about displays of power, this is the electorate that voted for Boris saying everything will be great and driving a forklift through a wall.

Starmer doesn't seem to get that. How you send the message matters more to these people than what it is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Vulgar Display of Starmer

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

josh04 posted:

He's well on his way to national treasure status, dontchaknow.

I do not want to be part of a nation that considers Ed Balls a treasure.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
My sister and her husband are alpha brainwashing cultists, that have been bouncing round the cristian cultist curch scene since the 80s, and they are loving vile. I cut them out of my life and never looked back.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

fuctifino posted:

I know vulnerable people who were swept up in this nonsense, and they ended up disconnecting from their families and friends and ended up in bad mental health places, The tactics used and the end result seemed like textbook branwashing culty behaviour to me.

Alpha is really just an introduction to Christianity. It has better production values than some similar things but is fairly standard as these things go. It probably goes into a bit more historical stuff than some similar courses - ie it will talk about people like Constantine and how the modern Bible was put together.

Christianity is meant to change people but there are definitely safe and unsafe environments for that. I think one of the big challenges that churches, even very good ones, face is trying to deal with vulnerable people without the necessary expertise or resources. Increasingly they have nowhere else to send them for help either. MP's offices have the same problem actually.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Enjoying the dual threads here of "Alpha made friends and family insane cultists" and "nah mate it's a harmless intro to Christianity" atm.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

The guy that got his business start by refusing to rent to Black tenants, right.

No, the guy who got his start in business by working for his father. Who was a Klansman.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It was interesting listening to Mary Trump, his estranged niece, who is a lesbian doctor of psychiatry, talk about how uncle Fred was not able to speak English due to his Prussian parents and would have to constantly code switch between English and German. But there was one word he always says in German, Schwarze. And always with venom.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Enjoying the dual threads here of "Alpha made friends and family insane cultists" and "nah mate it's a harmless intro to Christianity" atm.
This is why I'm a fan of Adam Smith's "free marketplace of religions"/"every man his own priest" philosophy. It exposes the dual/tri/quoit nature of man, but somehow ends up better than all the alternatives.

Alpha course for discordianism and british fishman theory when?

I do not want to be part of a nation that considers Ed Balls a treasure.
Be the nation again
That stood against him
Proud Ed Balls' army

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My alpha course for dischordianism involves smoking a lot of weed and uh I dunno what else man.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Tesseraction posted:

You get a big enough group of people some of them are going to be a bit insane.

I bet Alpha would even let Natalie Elphicke in if she asked.

Guavanaut posted:

This is why I'm a fan of Adam Smith's "free marketplace of religions"/"every man his own priest" philosophy. It exposes the dual/tri/quoit nature of man, but somehow ends up better than all the alternatives.

You do you bro.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 9, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'll set up the bong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001