Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

keep punching joe posted:

I do not want to be part of a nation that considers Ed Balls a treasure.

he is as much as anne widdicome is, as in, someone most people don’t recognise or if they do, they know hes a failed politician the media keep pushing on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
do you think that article meant to say "national treasurer"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zalakwe posted:

You do you bro.
Yup, that was exactly his point. It turned out much better than the alternative where clergy lynched students in Scotland from trees for refusing to affirm the Trinity during the time he was alive.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The Guardian's Garrick Club obsession continues today, with longstanding member and former editor of two national newspapers Simon Jenkins making the impassioned argument that private members' clubs aren't really a locus of power for the wealthy and well-connected, and it's actually a bit of an outdated conspiracy theory to suggest as much, and also, really, these clubs are much as the same as a trade union or the BMA if you think about it.

quote:

The reality is that institutions come in different shapes and sizes. Many professional associations – notably in medicine and the law – exert considerable power in Britain. They effectively “rule” their sectors of the public service, as the BMA, for example, dominates the medical profession. Private clubs sometimes do likewise. In the past great and even sinister power has been ascribed to France’s énarques (graduates of an elite university), America’s Ivy Leaguers and Britain’s Old Etonians. In each case it is not actual but perceived power that excites popular resentment.

The UK's progressive paper doing well for itself.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
we;re just normal men, innocent men, please do not check our hard drives

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Instead of private clubs we should all have personal clubs, to hit journalists with.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Guavanaut posted:

Yup, that was exactly his point. It turned out much better than the alternative where clergy lynched students in Scotland from trees for refusing to affirm the Trinity during the time he was alive.

Working out his own salvation with fear and trembling. Also lots of money.

Personally I consider completely rampant individualism to be one of the biggest issues facing our society but I'm also deeply suspicious of any institution claiming to know the one true way to this or that with certainty. Viewpoints like that only ever seem to be used to exclude and persecute less privileged people although thankfully not in trees anymore, at least not in Scotland.

Is there an ultimate truth, possibly. Is it worth looking for, probably. Can we hope to know it fully, probably not. Judge not, lest...

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The crooked church next door to me has a banner for Alpha that says "Stay curious" in big letters and I'm sure they're doing it deliberately but also lol.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

fuctifino posted:

I'm already ahead of you, and currently talking to God

:allears:

have curaleaf hooked you up with concentrate? they sent me 20g of banana ice cake and 20g of gorilla glue last week.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I love that the Guardian’s big takeaway from the existence of private members clubs full of the nations elite, is that they're bad because they don't let in women.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think you should vape gorilla glue.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

grobbo posted:

The Guardian's Garrick Club obsession continues today, with longstanding member and former editor of two national newspapers Simon Jenkins making the impassioned argument that private members' clubs aren't really a locus of power for the wealthy and well-connected, and it's actually a bit of an outdated conspiracy theory to suggest as much, and also, really, these clubs are much as the same as a trade union or the BMA if you think about it.

The UK's progressive paper doing well for itself.

claiming the BMA has the equivalent power of a secret members club for judges, lawyers, politicians, CEOs and royalty is so dishonest. The BMA is mostly used for checking rotas, employment contracts and weakly threatening HR with “talking to lawyers” when they refuse to sort the first two out

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Gullis is such a poo poo whip. He's like an over-excited child who talks at a million miles an hour
https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1788237796085248381

I guess most people don't want the whip job?

Fumble posted:

have curaleaf hooked you up with concentrate? they sent me 20g of banana ice cake and 20g of gorilla glue last week.

No, this is a naughty gift from a very dear friend in an attempt to reverse my current health wobble. It's a very new canna tech called BhRo which produces a very fine sugary and terpy extract that's like a high grade diamonds and sauce. It's loving incredible :toot: :420:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

I'm already ahead of you, and currently talking to God

:allears:

It's the Olde Tyme Pharmacie jars that make the picture. "Ah, yes, sir, I do indeed have your prescription of six grains of Motherlode Mindfuck and eight of Hempen Heaven. That will be four shillings and eightpence, if you would be so good."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think you should vape gorilla glue.
Is a man not entitled to the vape of his glue?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Are you telling me that Putin apologist Simon Jenkins might be a loving idiot?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Gullis is such a poo poo whip. He's like an over-excited child who talks at a million miles an hour
https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1788237796085248381

I heard that he apparently did a Thick of It moment yesterday when she crossed the floor by sitting in his usual seat and asking where she was because she normally sits beside him, sees her on the other side and stream of consciousness narrates his realisation as to what's happened.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LondonEconomic/status/1788461469589270572
:lol:

Tesseraction posted:

I heard that he apparently did a Thick of It moment yesterday when she crossed the floor by sitting in his usual seat and asking where she was because she normally sits beside him, sees her on the other side and stream of consciousness narrates his realisation as to what's happened.

It was archived on the dead bird site
https://twitter.com/stuzi_pants/status/1788176390996517125

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

keep punching joe posted:

I love that the Guardian’s big takeaway from the existence of private members clubs full of the nations elite, is that they're bad because they don't let in women.

It's such a perfect encapsulation of their brand of upper-middle class liberalism.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
If any of the Labour MPs annoyed with her joining had any form of self respect they would join the Greens, maybe at a stretch Galloways lot but they have quite a few issues, Galloway included.

It’s clear that Starmer is pushing the party so far right that the name Labour is no longer appropriate.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
i wouldn't post pics of my class a drugs online tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fuctifino knows the one weird trick to get drugs from the government for free.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Starbucks posted:

It’s clear that Starmer is pushing the party so far right that the name Labour is no longer appropriate.

That's not at all true. It can be followed by "makes you free".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

We're basically seeing the last dregs of our illusory democracy ripped up in front of our eyes, with the politicians barely masking the fact that we are nothing more than a one-party dictatorship that answers solely to Capital.

Starmer did a brilliant job at destroying the last vestiges of the left, while gaslighting the country into believing that voting him will be 'change' despite him being to the right of 2010's Cameron.

We're not on a very good timeline imo....

Fumble posted:

It's important to correct you that it's B, not A. And this will all be absorbed into my body before I next open my front door :toot:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 9, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s gonna get even darker once Trump turns off NATO and we have to start sending Gen Z into the meat grinder for a Euro ground war lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fumble posted:

Cannabis isn't class a though, that's reserved for the really dangerous poo poo like

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

smellmycheese posted:

It’s gonna get even darker once Trump turns off NATO and we have to start sending Gen Z into the meat grinder for a Euro ground war lol

born too late to explore the world, too early to explore space

born just in time to die fighting putler over estonia.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

radmonger posted:

Point is, when someone outside the UK talks about the IRA, that is the group they mean. The modern, ‘provisional’ IRA didn’t even get to officially inherit their name.

I guarantee this is not true in, say, Boston.

Edit: beaten to it, but, like, where on earth did you get this idea?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 9, 2024

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Starbucks posted:

If any of the Labour MPs annoyed with her joining had any form of self respect they would join the Greens, maybe at a stretch Galloways lot but they have quite a few issues, Galloway included.

Change UK's time has finally arrived...

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Starbucks posted:

Great way to lose their seats

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Great way to lose their seats

You mean as opposed to waiting around for deselection or expulsion once Kunt Sturmer knows he doesn't need them to form a government?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
A lot of people seem to be noticing that this time around there really isn't anything to choose between the main parties. I'm a bit worried as to what alternative will rise to fill the need for representation though, that does not always go great, historically.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

HopperUK posted:

A lot of people seem to be noticing that this time around there really isn't anything to choose between the main parties. I'm a bit worried as to what alternative will rise to fill the need for representation though, that does not always go great, historically.

Greens honestly, I can’t see myself ever voting for Labour now, maybe in the future but they are just a terrible option.

Electoral reform is the most important thing that’s needed as it would stop the pushing to the right with populist nonsense that we are getting from both main parties.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why do I have a vague feeling the Greens were transphobic? Was that ages ago and they dropped it or am I just tripping because I've not slept?

Oh, for anyone wondering, Mum's operation was yesterday and it went fine, she had a spinal block instead of a general which eased my mind, and she's back on the ward and texting me. So far so good. Thanks for all the support when it was cancelled before, friends.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

HopperUK posted:

Why do I have a vague feeling the Greens were transphobic? Was that ages ago and they dropped it or am I just tripping because I've not slept?

Oh, for anyone wondering, Mum's operation was yesterday and it went fine, she had a spinal block instead of a general which eased my mind, and she's back on the ward and texting me. So far so good. Thanks for all the support when it was cancelled before, friends.

Glad she's doing well :)

Not tripping, there were some issues on Greens & transphobia but I can't recall exactly what.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hearing disturbing reports about a British political party being transphobic

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

HopperUK posted:

Glad to hear the operation went well, hope she gets on the mend quickly, recovering from an operation is never fun.

As for trans issues, yes I think that’s what brought about the new leadership as was a lot of issues there and current leadership are supportive of trans rights.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Glad you and mum are doing well Hopper

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/BBCBweaking/status/1788532234812629232?t=jfQ_mgijDgfJ1eo-kSn0Mg&s=19

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Goddamn that's one of the creepier examples of that bot, lol

Thanks buds :3: