Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

Echoing that Duel rules hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
big truck make scary roaring noise...

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Hollismason posted:

If you haven't seen The STone Tape on Shudder you need to loving watch that poo poo. Holy poo poo is that a good British Horror film.

Yeah it rules! If you haven't seen it yet, Quatermass and the Pit is by the same writer working with Hammer and is also really good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's too bad, the three episodes of Crystal Lake Fuller stuck around for would have been incredible

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BiggerBoat posted:

That's actually from the novelization

FUN FACT: Spielberg put that as an homage to the first film he ever directed; made for TV movie starring Dennis Weaver called Duel. SO it's actually the sound of a big 18 wheel truck.

And not that I mention it, Duel is pretty great. Not really horror though I guess

The ending (spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PunLPMBpxGc

And Jaws: The Revenge took the same exact footage of the shark parts settling to the ocean floor from the first one and used it at the end of their abomination.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BiggerBoat posted:

FUN FACT: Spielberg put that as an homage to the first film he ever directed; made for TV movie starring Dennis Weaver called Duel. SO it's actually the sound of a big 18 wheel truck.

I think that sound was actually from a dinosaur movie he watched as a kid.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think that sound was actually from a dinosaur movie he watched as a kid.

I've heard that too but I can't confirm it. Regardless, I DO know it's the same sound effect in any case.

<<<<<----- I love JAWS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They're both just totally fine, but I'd give Tremors 2 the edge for being more ambitious. Jaws 2 is just... more Jaws. Not hugely interesting.

Thoughts on CRUEL JAWS???

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

dorium posted:

It is a very upsetting movie and a very gross subject, but its so fascinating and it is genuinely well made. It was such a weird journey and its sub-90 minutes so it isnt a huge investment.
The best description of The Baby I've heard was "It's a John Waters movie, played straight" which is such an insane thing to even conceive. Thank god Bob Clark came along and invented slashers with Black Christmas because I don't think horror would have survived another decade of The Babys and whatever Giallos they could dub.
----------
Don't Let the Riverbest Get You! loving slaps btw. Other than a rough and confusing first five minutes (where they've chosen the wrong character to open on), Don't Let the Riverbeast Get You! settles into a groove that is pure joy. The mixture of amateurs trying to act and amateurs who cannot act sharing the screen, along with the demented world-building (why is there a Tutor's League operating like the loving Table from John Wick? gently caress you, stop asking questions, that's why!) make for a movie that isn't so much about a disgraced tutor trying to win back his girl and stop the Riverbeast once and for all so much as it is a love letter to filmmaking, to doing art of any kind - music, dance, photography, reporting - with your best friends and being okay with sucking because the point was never the art, it was having fun.

It's goofy, hilariously low-rent and if you vibe on the stuff Beck Bennet and Kyle Mooney did together on SNL, you will absolutely vibe with this as well.

I loved this, and so did my son from a previous marriage.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 9, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Genuinely coming around to the fact that The Mangler is an all time favorite horror film and I'd say Tobe Hooper's best film. Ted Levine who I haven't seen outside of Buffalo Bill apparently just NATURALLY sounds like a serial killer and he brings such a bizarre almost Lynchian aspect to the film. Technically it is horror but ultimately it's more just hilarious and disgusting.
Must watch imo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

are we talking about the haunted laundry factory movie? that seems impossible, that movie sucks out loud

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hells bells Adele! Hells bells!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I thought The Baby was pretty great. The first time I watched it was the Joe Bob episode and I think getting that additional background info and some occasional breaks from the movie helped. It made me uncomfortable in a way very few movies ever have, the way it shows familial abuse and takes it to this completely wild extreme.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I probably will give it another go some time since I usually try and brave any horror eventually that freaks me out, provided I can expect to get something out of it. As a big John Waters fan those descriptions actually make it a bit more appealing, and it was never the initial concept that freaked me out as badly as all that. It really was always about the ending. Maybe I should consider it lucky that there's a movie out there, even in my horror-saturated state, where even just reading about the ending can disturb the way doing the same with The Mist or Drag Me To Hell did back in high school.

I'll check out the Joe Bob episode at some point; I think it's still up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

to be fair she deserved it at the end of drag me to hell.

Give the lady her house your rear end in a top hat!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

And not that I mention it, Duel is pretty great. Not really horror though I guess

If Duel isn't horror then The Hitcher isn't horror.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, Duel is absolutely horror, the entire movie is being pursued by a faceless murderer.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Ted Levine who I haven't seen outside of Buffalo Bill apparently just NATURALLY sounds like a serial killer and he brings such a bizarre almost Lynchian aspect to the film.

lol now watch an episode or two of Monk

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The Wild Zero 2 kickstarter failed, but they said they'll still try and make it.

However, Guitar Wolf is kicking off an American tour if you're into old school punk and rock and roll!

https://www.guitarwolf.net/schedule/guitar-wolf-go-more-kicks-us-tour-2024-with-hans-condor

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

There was no way they were going to make their money with such a high goal and no real promotion. It sucks because I really want Wild Zero 2 as the original is one of my favorite movies, but you can't even buy the original except in a DVD form. If they got distribution through VS or Discotek, put it on Tubi, and then went hard with the advertising and launched the Kickstarter again maybe they could make some money that way.

That said, I hope I can go to one of those concerts.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

lol now watch an episode or two of Monk
He's apparently in a ton of movies (including Flubber) but somehow I've never picked him out. Listening to him on Monk he sounds like he's gotten less serial killery tho.

And drat right The Mangler is a banger. I honestly can't imagine thinking it sucks. It's just so much fun. I love the two weird leads and their friendship and how they both seem to be on mushrooms the whole film. Prime Tobe Hooper.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Ted Levine is an absolute joy on Monk, one of the best characters. He was also a highlight of Evolution, but to me he'll always be Stottlemeyer.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ted Levine is pretty fun in Banshee Chapter too, almost unquestionably the high point of that film.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like Ted Levine plays a cop most of the time. Monk, Heat, the Hills Have Eyes, the Mangler, Wonderland, etc.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Levine's one scene in Shutter Island is so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gne3jpFxVe0

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Ted Levine who I haven't seen outside of Buffalo Bill apparently just NATURALLY sounds like a serial killer

he does a fun Hunter S Thompson for just about the whole of The Banshee Chapter

edit, hell i am slow on Big Ted appreciation

one of the finest "that guys" around

Punkin Spunkin posted:

drat right The Mangler is a bangler

hell yeah

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 9, 2024

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ted Levine is one of those character actors that kind of makes you feel good about the show or movie you're watching when he shows up.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And Jaws: The Revenge took the same exact footage of the shark parts settling to the ocean floor from the first one and used it at the end of their abomination.

On the DVD re-edit. In the original, theatrical cut (which must have made it to VHS, because that was how I remember seeing it as a 5-6 year old back in the day), the shark gets stabbed by the front prow of the ship (you know, like what they alluded to on the loving poster) and gets hung up on there before tearing off the front and sinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqiWWmAEfTA

They also used that as the basis for the big "boss fight" ending of the Jaws video game on the NES, which was basically an adaptation of The Revenge that they omitted the subtitle for, for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHxCuvFyN0E

I have no idea why they changed the ending for JtR at some point. Sure, it was slow and stupid looking, but that's true of everything about the movie - if you've stayed to the ending while watching it, you're pretty much bought in at that point, so why bother?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Levine would be a good option for a future "That Guy" Challenge. We've been doing that lately for the seasonal horror challenges where you feature a character actor/actress.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i like when ted levine looks at something in disgust

ORRUH. ERRRROOOUH.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Class3KillStorm posted:

On the DVD re-edit. In the original, theatrical cut (which must have made it to VHS, because that was how I remember seeing it as a 5-6 year old back in the day), the shark gets stabbed by the front prow of the ship (you know, like what they alluded to on the loving poster) and gets hung up on there before tearing off the front and sinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqiWWmAEfTA

They also used that as the basis for the big "boss fight" ending of the Jaws video game on the NES, which was basically an adaptation of The Revenge that they omitted the subtitle for, for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHxCuvFyN0E

I have no idea why they changed the ending for JtR at some point. Sure, it was slow and stupid looking, but that's true of everything about the movie - if you've stayed to the ending while watching it, you're pretty much bought in at that point, so why bother?

It's insanely difficult to keep track of the last ten minutes of that film. They actually changed the ending and sent out new reels within the first week of release.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jaws the Revenge made me think i was living in a mandela effect world as a kid before that was even a term cause between the two times i watched it there were different survivors and as mentioned how the shark dies. It might be the movie that taught me about alternate releases.

Not that I’m a huge Jaws 4 fan but it was always on USA network usually paired with Jaws 3 but even as a kid I knew that one stunk out loud except for the water skiiers sequence.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The shark doesn't just roar, it takes a deep breath first.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Levine would be a good option for a future "That Guy" Challenge. We've been doing that lately for the seasonal horror challenges where you feature a character actor/actress.

After rewatching Alien the other day, my pick for a future That Guy challenge is still Harry Dean Stanton.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is Dick Miller too easy?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

We did Dick Miller for last October's challenge. I remember cuz I watched Demon Knight for it, and everyone should watch Demon Knight regardless.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Class3KillStorm posted:

test audiences didn't like that the Mario Van Peebles character died.

In a stupid movie with a lot of stupid poo poo, I think my fave part was Micahel Caine being pulled out of the water onto the boat with a bone dry shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZkJ3Zkaes

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is Dick Miller too easy?

He was the original inspiration for the challenge, if I remember correctly it was suggested by Crescent Wrench who is currently running the May Challenge.

You definitely want someone who has plenty of options though. Like for Levine I'd have to look at his filmography to really decide if he's a viable candidate, you can't just have everyone watching Silence of the Lambs, there has to be more options than that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BiggerBoat posted:

test audiences didn't like that the Mario Van Peebles character died.

In a stupid movie with a lot of stupid poo poo, I think my fave part was Micahel Caine being pulled out of the water onto the boat with a bone dry shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZkJ3Zkaes

Not just a dry shirt but his answer to "How did you survive a plane crash and shark attack?" is "It wasn't easy!"

EDIT: Please accept my Dick Miller apologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You just like saying Dick Miller dont you