Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't think it's really a crime to say "As president, I plan to enact policies so staggeringly lucrative to you that it is in your interest to donate money to get me elected." This isn't a quid pro quo offer to a specific person, it's just an observation that the interests of this particular group of people are heavily aligned with the policies Trump already supports. I don't see how it could be criminalized without undermining the broad concept of campaign promises based around specific policy.

It is, of course, odious and reprehensible even if it's not a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

DTurtle posted:

It's so telling that this isn't bigger news:
Trump promised to scrap climate laws if US oil bosses donated $1bn

This is such an extremely blatant and explicit bribery/corruption/quid pro quo thing, and it isn't top news or anywhere near it, just another small unimportant news report among many others...

Is it though? He's just telling them outright what he's going to do and that they should give him money to do it. If he wasn't going to do it unless they gave him theoney, that would be bad. I kind of think Trump is just blatantly doing what lots of politicians do, once again blowing up norms that aren't actually illegal.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It's supposed to be the other way around to maintain the deniability. "I plan to cut taxes and loosen up permits" and just let the checkbooks open because then it's just a private entity trying to get you in to do the thing you already want to do. You're breaking the masquerade if you do it Trump's way around (and name an actual price tag of the extremely cartoonish figure of One Billion Dollars). Of course it's not of much note in THIS world but time was news like that would have ended a presidential run and quite likely led to a Presidential resignation if it was found out about a sitting guy

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Jesus III posted:

Is it though? He's just telling them outright what he's going to do and that they should give him money to do it. If he wasn't going to do it unless they gave him theoney, that would be bad. I kind of think Trump is just blatantly doing what lots of politicians do, once again blowing up norms that aren't actually illegal.
IMO it is. If you look at the original reporting in the Washington Post (non-paywall link), then his offer was in direct response to an executive complaining about the ineffectiveness of $400 million dollars for lobbying the Biden administration last year. And it makes the transactional nature very clear:

quote:

As Donald Trump sat with some of the country’s top oil executives at his Mar-a-Lago Club last month, one executive complained about how they continued to face burdensome environmental regulations despite spending $400 million to lobby the Biden administration in the last year.

Trump’s response stunned several of the executives in the room overlooking the ocean: You all are wealthy enough, he said, that you should raise $1 billion to return me to the White House. At the dinner, he vowed to immediately reverse dozens of President Biden’s environmental rules and policies and stop new ones from being enacted, according to people with knowledge of the meeting, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe a private conversation.
Giving $1 billion would be a “deal,” Trump said, because of the taxation and regulation they would avoid thanks to him, according to the people.
If you think that this is fine and business as usual then your (American) political compass is completely broken.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

We're I an oil executive, I'd be concerned that you'd spend $1 billion and Trump would spend it on legal bills and not get elected. Since Trump is amazing at getting people to give him money for something and then not use the money for the intended purpose.

Or that if he gets elected without you spending the $1 billion, he was going to cut all those regulations anyway.

Either way, it seems like a bad investment to make.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

DTurtle posted:

IMO it is. If you look at the original reporting in the Washington Post (non-paywall link), then his offer was in direct response to an executive complaining about the ineffectiveness of $400 million dollars for lobbying the Biden administration last year. And it makes the transactional nature very clear:

If you think that this is fine and business as usual then your (American) political compass is completely broken.

Where did I say it was fine? Don't make poo poo up.

What he did isn't a quid pro quo, he was just explaining the features of his presidency.

Don't get butt hurt when he isn't indicted for this. There is no crime. There are huge moral problems with it, but politicians have been saying what they're going to do at fundraisers forever, if not so crassly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DTurtle posted:

It can be both bad and totally legal, which is what we're looking at here. Trump is just too much a dumb bull in a china shop to realize, or care, that you're supposed to make it not sound like a bribe.

The Question IRL posted:

We're I an oil executive, I'd be concerned that you'd spend $1 billion and Trump would spend it on legal bills and not get elected. Since Trump is amazing at getting people to give him money for something and then not use the money for the intended purpose.

Or that if he gets elected without you spending the $1 billion, he was going to cut all those regulations anyway.

Either way, it seems like a bad investment to make.

He wants them to make a billion dollar super pac so they can do all that boring campaign stuff he doesn't care about. That way he can just do rallies and spend all the Republican Party's money on legal fees while still having a shot at winning.

If he can skim some off the top or not is on tomorrow's crimes list.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

Trump is easily petty enough that if they don't pay he may not make all the cuts he otherwise would've now he said that, just out of spite.

Dude runs on spite, and doesn't care at all about what legislation he passes or doesn't.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I just think it’s funny that Trump has so emptied the RNC campaign coffers that he essentially needs a whole new source of campaign funding.

Anyway, there is an implied crime there because there is no mechanism for a legitimate campaign contribution of the millions needed per company and attendee to get anywhere close to a billion. He’s telling them to work together to conspire to break campaign donation limit laws.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Didn't citizen's united make campaign contributions limits unconstitutional? All they have to do is make a PAC and they can contribute all they want, anonymously.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Asproigerosis posted:

Didn't citizen's united make campaign contributions limits unconstitutional? All they have to do is make a PAC and they can contribute all they want, anonymously.

But if they do that Trump can’t spend it on legal fees so what’s the point

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Will it matter if Trump manages to win the election while bankrupting the RNC?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Star Man posted:

Will it matter if Trump manages to win the election while bankrupting the RNC?

Doesn't it only matter if the RNC is bankrupt if that affects the other races? Like if trump gets in with the house and the senate, then I'm sure the RNC's coffers will fill back up pretty drat quick.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So by getting checks sent to him to sign at the White House didn’t the Trump org lackey who testified basically prove what we all ready knew that he was involved with the day to day operations of Trump org WHILE president?

No conflict of interest or enulments clause violations there!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Doesn't it only matter if the RNC is bankrupt if that affects the other races? Like if trump gets in with the house and the senate, then I'm sure the RNC's coffers will fill back up pretty drat quick.

If he manages that then he truly has the complete Mandate of Heaven and there's no point in even trying to resist.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

If he manages that then he truly has the complete Mandate of Heaven and there's no point in even trying to resist.

Nah, all you need is about 200,000 Chinese soldiers and Historically that should be about enough to win The Mandate of Heaven back.

Um, you wouldn't happen to have an army of 200,000 Chinese soldiers, would you?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

davecrazy posted:

So by getting checks sent to him to sign at the White House didn’t the Trump org lackey who testified basically prove what we all ready knew that he was involved with the day to day operations of Trump org WHILE president?

The defense was quick to assert they were all personal checks, like his golf club membership dues and stuff.

Like, I have no doubt Trump was dodging the trust so he could stay being the big boy boss but I don't think this was the way he was doing it, and even if it was the prosecution isn't trying to chase that particular thread

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

davecrazy posted:

He should be impeached!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

The defense was quick to assert they were all personal checks, like his golf club membership dues and stuff.

Like, I have no doubt Trump was dodging the trust so he could stay being the big boy boss but I don't think this was the way he was doing it, and even if it was the prosecution isn't trying to chase that particular thread

But aren’t some of the checks paid directly by the corporation? So, if they are conceding that the payments were personal then don’t they run afoul of other laws against commingling of funds and accounting practices and tax responsibility?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So on the possibility of a hung jury.

How much yelling at each other are jurors allowed to do? If a MAGA juror tries to hang the jury when everyone else votes guilty, I could see 11 angry new Yorkers tear into that person on what a ninny they are and I don't see a regular MAGA person standing up to that.

Like a reverse "12 Angry Men" but instead of one skeptic holding out and illegally introducing new evidence to the case, it's just one person who gets their intellect, character, personality & personal hygiene systemically torn down until they meekly agree that yes, the evidence does now matter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I believe if a jury member is obviously compromised ("I i came here to make sure MY president wasn't imprisoned by the deep state in a RIGGED trial") they can be reported to the judge and kicked off, but if they're smart enough to just continually say they can't say it's beyond a reasonable doubt, then there's nothing that can be done.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Asproigerosis posted:

Contribution limits to candidates directly are still constitutional. But, spending money through Super PACs and independent expenditure/issue ads has no limits post-Citizens.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Steve Bannon's contempt of Congress conviction upheld by appeals court

quote:

A federal appeals court upheld the criminal conviction of ex-Donald Trump adviser Steve Bannon for defying a subpoena from the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Bannon was sentenced to four months in prison for contempt in October 2022, but U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols agreed to postpone the jail term while Bannon appealed the decision.

"We conclude that none of the information sought in the trial subpoenas was relevant to the elements of the contempt offense, nor to any affirmative defense Bannon was entitled to present at trial," the three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals said in its opinion Friday.

"The judgment of conviction and sentence [is] affirmed," the judges concluded.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I imagine 4 months with no booze or drugs is not gonna be fun for the flesh bean bag.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Jesus III posted:

Where did I say it was fine? Don't make poo poo up.

What he did isn't a quid pro quo, he was just explaining the features of his presidency.

Don't get butt hurt when he isn't indicted for this. There is no crime. There are huge moral problems with it, but politicians have been saying what they're going to do at fundraisers forever, if not so crassly.

dr_rat posted:

Trump is easily petty enough that if they don't pay he may not make all the cuts he otherwise would've now he said that, just out of spite.

Dude runs on spite, and doesn't care at all about what legislation he passes or doesn't.

So when I first read the article my immediate reaction was quid pro quo and illegality but yeah after reading everyone's argument I agree this wouldn't hold up in court and is just putting out in the open what all politicians are doing.

However, I have no doubt that in Trump's mind he really did mean it as a quid pro quo, that his intention was a direct ask for a direct action to be taken by him later. I realize there is no way to prove that in court or whatever but I think we all know Trump well enough by now to believe that is how he meant it. I could also see him not doing it or not doing all of it if they don't donate.

I do have a question about the legality regarding how PACs work. I understand there is no contribution limit but I thought there was supposed to be some sort of firewall between the campaign/politician and the PAC? Would soliciting money for a PAC in exchange by actions the candidate would take once in office not violate that? I don't have a good understanding of the rules around that separation between campaign and PAC.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Jesus III posted:

I imagine 4 months with no booze or drugs is not gonna be fun for the flesh bean bag.

Well I wouldn’t say NO booze or drugs…

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

D-Pad posted:

I do have a question about the legality regarding how PACs work. I understand there is no contribution limit but I thought there was supposed to be some sort of firewall between the campaign/politician and the PAC? Would soliciting money for a PAC in exchange by actions the candidate would take once in office not violate that? I don't have a good understanding of the rules around that separation between campaign and PAC.

They can't coordinate for campaigning, talking about what he wants to do in office is a separate thing.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Gyges posted:

They can't coordinate for campaigning, talking about what he wants to do in office is a separate thing.

He can stand on a public podium and state what he wants done and the PAC or someone can do it with no repercussions. If they do it behind closed doors, that's magically illegal even though no one prosecutes it.

Clown world

Kale
May 14, 2010

The new CNN front page courtroom art of Trump and the Judge scowling at each other belongs in the Louvre IMO

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
edit: trump has a loving point: "you're so rich you should be donating more"
i'm sick and tired of the government being bought for pennies by billionaires. loving united states senators selling out the county for less than a new lexus. fuckng shameful

Retro42 posted:

Best part is because he's insisting a part of his defense be that she's lying it was allowed testimony for her to go into "some" detail about it all to the jury.

Trump: "She's lying!"
Stormy: "Lemme prove it real quick"
Trump: "Wait......poo poo"
"his skin felt gross..."
"objection your honor, hearsay!"
"sustained"
"now if you're telling the truth why can't you describe his skin??"

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 10, 2024

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Independence posted:

He can stand on a public podium and state what he wants done and the PAC or someone can do it with no repercussions. If they do it behind closed doors, that's magically illegal even though no one prosecutes it.

Clown world

Look, if you don't post a sign on the locked door that says, "No entry, extremely illegal collusion in progress" then we can't say it's illegal because we wouldn't want to violate the constitution. Same as with bribery. It's all very consistent and on the up and up with our corruption loving Supreme Court.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

InsertPotPun posted:

edit: trump has a loving point: "you're so rich you should be donating more"
i'm sick and tired of the government being bought for pennies by billionaires. loving united states senators selling out the county for less than a new lexus. fuckng shameful

"his skin felt gross..."
"objection your honor, hearsay!"
"sustained"
"now if you're telling the truth why can't you describe his skin??"

That wouldn't be hearsay.
:goonsay:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

No money, mo' trouble for Rudy.

Giuliani Is Suspended by WABC, and His Radio Show Is Canceled
(No paywall: https://archive.ph/m0hs0)

quote:

Rudolph W. Giuliani was suspended by WABC radio on Friday and his daily talk show was canceled after he violated station policy by trying to discuss discredited claims about the legitimacy of the 2020 presidential election on air.

John Catsimatidis, the billionaire who is a major Republican donor and owns the station, said he had made the decision after Mr. Giuliani refused to comply with the policy related to the election after repeated warnings.

“We’re not going to talk about fallacies of the November 2020 election,” Mr. Catsimatidis said in a brief phone interview. “We warned him once. We warned him twice. And I get a text from him last night, and I get a text from him this morning that he refuses not to talk about it.”

“So,” Mr. Catsimatidis continued, “he left me no option. I suspended him.”

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

GAGGED

LIKE A DOG

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Accipiter posted:

GAGGED

LIKE A DOG

Is this a morally inept rereg?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
When a billionaire tells you "doing this thing is loving with my money" and it's one of the rare instances where not doing the thing is morally and factually correct, don't do the thing

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Only took that guy 3 1/2 years to get to that point too. How brave.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Accipiter posted:

GAGGED

LIKE A DOG

Kristi Noem's shotgun perks up.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

Kristi Noem's shotgun perks up.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a puppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Guest2553 posted:

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a puppy.

Look, sometimes the dang things are just stubborn. What else are you supposed to do with something like this.