Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

My President Carl

edit: Introducing to the the stage: My President Carl and the Problematic Transsexuals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

ok

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

are you loving kidding me man?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Really aiming for the stars: "watch women's sports!".

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
lmfao god drat

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

shut up you demented bitch

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Offer not available to trans women, terms and restrictions apply.

Best Friends posted:

it’s been eons so I’m probably misremembering, but Adam smith’s wealth of nations I think had a bit about how the Spanish elite hoarded all the money and almost none of it made it downward leading to both inflation and very little development. Every ounce of precious metal that went to Spain made the economy worse.
I remember Matt Christman saying that eventually the silver wasn't even going to Spain, it was being shipped directly to creditors in other countries. I'm not a big fan of mercantilism, but anti-mercantilism seems pretty bad?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
He heard about the blockbuster NCAA game and is now looking back at the audience cranking the "support women sports" dial.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

lol no thanks

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a donor who invested heavily in women's sports gave the order. expect the bluechecks to follow up on this topic.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

DoubleDonut posted:

huh. good thing we've learned so much since then

We learned that there was a physical limit to metallic currency so now there’s none of the pesky costs diverting money into local economies in Bolivia, the ports and other links along the line etc.

We’re so much better at creating money to give to the ruling class.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a donor who invested heavily in women's sports gave the order. expect the bluechecks to follow up on this topic.

Not watching the WNBA and LPGA will mean that you're a sexist and doing a no growth.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Best Friends posted:

it’s been eons so I’m probably misremembering, but Adam smith’s wealth of nations I think had a bit about how the Spanish elite hoarded all the money and almost none of it made it downward leading to both inflation and very little development. Every ounce of precious metal that went to Spain made the economy worse.

hey, Portugal was also mentioned in the same tone, don't forget about us

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

lmao

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

it turns out that trump might not have actually brought those classified documents to mar a lago at all half of those boxes were sent by the general security administration under biden and the vast majority of the stuff in those boxes wasnt classified documents and basically every time anyone has conducted an audit of what was in which box everything is in a completely different location

:wtc:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the president: one issue stands at the forefront of every american's mind today; are we watching enough TV? and I am here to tell you NO!

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
If the Spanish Empire had access to Excel it would have ended hundreds of years earlier.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Some Guy TT posted:

it turns out that trump might not have actually brought those classified documents to mar a lago at all half of those boxes were sent by the general security administration under biden and the vast majority of the stuff in those boxes wasnt classified documents and basically every time anyone has conducted an audit of what was in which box everything is in a completely different location

i believe you, but source?

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Some Guy TT posted:

If I wasn't already a Watergate conspiracy theorist, this would make me one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pretty sure the children will be asking about the genocide and climate change.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

these tweets are far more deranged than anything trump could come up with

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Children? In this economy?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/1788905234791612672?t=hf4abyhORJxXFdh1E6gzQw&s=19

https://twitter.com/DiscoxBloodbath/status/1788747552772296848?t=15YhdWVn0V55ovAL6aIibQ&s=19

It's not the biggest example but the Eurovision thing is the most obvious one when you consider that Russia was just completely booted out of it and that was just fine to these people

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Stop murdering children you gaseous old gently caress

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i don't give a gently caress about whatever "Eurovision" is and never will! ban all countries from it!!!

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Not just fine, but good. Were there any competitions Ukraine didn't win in 2022?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Europe has a talent show every year and this is something we're supposed to care about? how about making one good movie instead??

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
WNBA is a good watch tho

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not the biggest example but the Eurovision thing is the most obvious one when you consider that Russia was just completely booted out of it and that was just fine to these people

yeah well russia was committing a genocide by "kidnapping" war orphans away from the front lines, when they should have put those children in prison or bury them alive in a mass grave

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
watch womens' sports so that advertisers and sponsors think it's worth putting money into womens' sports and the sport has enough money to continue

can we do a single thing in this country without its existence depending on advertisements

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Europe has a talent show every year and this is something we're supposed to care about? how about making one good movie instead??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6Co-nd0lM

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Strep Vote posted:

WNBA is a good watch tho

as a nation, we give far too much public money to paying for sports already

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I love Eurovision. I mean I don't watch it, but it's awesome that all these nations have a stupid pop song contest and the voting breaks down according to economic and military alliances. Marxist intellectuals should use it as a case study on base and superstructure. It's like medieval aristocracies getting together for jousts and poo poo, except that it's like pro wrestling where the outcomes are rigged.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i feel like american libs revived eurovision, another notch on their list of sins

Halloween Jack posted:

I love Eurovision. I mean I don't watch it, but it's awesome that all these nations have a stupid pop song contest and the voting breaks down according to economic and military alliances. Marxist intellectuals should use it as a case study on base and superstructure. It's like medieval aristocracies getting together for jousts and poo poo, except that it's like pro wrestling where the outcomes are rigged.

it's fashy pageantry and we had a better model of this with the jeux sans fronteires

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

eurovision would be half-decent if it wasent a rigged joke as others have said where voting is entirely based on alliances and other nonsense

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Portugal was far worse than Spain in terms of squandering the wealth that they pillaged.

Just for reference:
Spain took about 200 metric tons of gold from the entirety of Spanish America
The California gold rush had about 340 metric tons of gold
Meanwhile, during the 18th century alone Portugal took 800 metric tons of gold.

What did they do with it? Paid commercial imbalances with England.
In exchange for naval and military protection, Portugal agreed that British textiles could enter Portugal tax free, while Portuguese wines would enter England paying 1/3 less tariffs than French wine.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Halloween Jack posted:

Tournaments were also insanely political and the results seem to have been nudged in the right direction every now and then.

The European aristocracy hasn't really changed, they just make their money from financial rent rather than land rent, and they don't have fencing scars anymore.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If they're crying crocodile tears this much over Eurovision, imagine the hysterical blubbering when Israeli Olympians are treated like pariahs this summer.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

ive always seen eurovision as what europe does now instead of killing each other and they kicked russia out of the eurovision club because they broke this taboo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If they're crying crocodile tears this much over Eurovision, imagine the hysterical blubbering when Israeli Olympians are treated like pariahs this summer.

isreali olympians come out of the olympic village with no STDs lol