Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Now I must know the Japanese for "milk-dribbling fucksmear."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Now I must know the Japanese for "milk-dribbling fucksmear."

無礼な人.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
drat I have that tattoo, I thought it said death before dishonor

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Show More:

https://deadline.com/2024/05/hiroyuki-sanada-deal-shogun-renewed-season-2-fx-emmys-drama-1235911076/

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
everything has to be a fuckin franchise these days :thisagain:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
How long did the first season take to film? See you all in a decade or whatever

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mauser posted:

How long did the first season take to film? See you all in a decade or whatever

First season took about 9 months to film and was one of the many productions that got derailed by COVID. I don't know how soon the VFX work and editing on it was finished, but it was still two years between when they wrapped and when it made it to air. So if they keep to that schedule it'll maybe be 2026 or 27 that we'd see a new season because TV takes for loving ever to make these days for some reason.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

i hope it’s not an actual second season

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
pretty skeptical about how a second season would be, but I guess I'd give it a shot

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

i hope it’s not an actual second season

If Toranaga is in it, what else would it be?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The meta is that it could be a ploy to just make Shogun eligible for certain awards categories, but not an actual intention to produce a second season.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 10, 2024

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cojawfee posted:

a movie or focused limited series about the battle of sekigahara ideally, something with less runtime than a full fat season 2

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I dunno I'm torn. It's a dangerous thing to do but if it remained this quality I would LOVE to see the continued adventures of Toranaga-sama and his pet barbarian

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Fearing a The Terror situation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll hold out hope because the first season was so incredible, and there is of course the actual history to use as a template, but I am a bit leery of a follow-up when what we got is straight up the entire story from the book.

kiimo posted:

I dunno I'm torn. It's a dangerous thing to do but if it remained this quality I would LOVE to see the continued adventures of Toranaga-sama and his pet barbarian

:yeah:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know how that would apply. The Terror got worse as the season went on and Shogun only got better.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like maybe you can get two episodes out of showing the battle and what ends up happening to Ishido right there.

Then you have Toranaga becoming Shogun and repeatedly burning down Blackthorn's boats for a laugh.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Going on without Yabu would be like it was after losing Batiatus following the first season of Spartacus. Good, sure, but he carried the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We pan down from the sun, we are now close on the shore of the fishing village. After a beat, the gloved Japanese armor gauntlet of Yabushige grabs on to the sand by the shore, and the ultimate survivor pulls himself from the maw of the ocean...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Find a way to get stately nun Fuji to come back and crack some skulls and dammit you son of a bitch I'm in

Jerusalem posted:

We pan down from the sun, we are now close on the shore of the fishing village. After a beat, the gloved Japanese armor gauntlet of Yabushige grabs on to the sand by the shore, and the ultimate survivor pulls himself from the maw of the ocean...

lmao

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
We (the viewer) can safely assume that Season 2 will be bad because that is how we (the entertainment industry) roll.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Better than Chernobyl Season 2 man what a downer

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just do this UK style. Five episodes a seasons. And a Christmas special.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Vegetable posted:

Just do this UK style. Five episodes a seasons. And a Christmas special.

Toranaga is now a traveling salesman. He spent all his money making a music video.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Christmas special! While Toranaga tries to understand the spirit of Christmas, a boat wrecks on the shore, full of entertainers.

“This troupe is called The Decemberists, my lord. They beg to perform for you.”

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Look you don't put together all those delicious silk garments and then just throw them in a storage trailer

Miyamoto Musashi is believed to have fought at Sekigahara, maybe they can pivot to another quasihistorical novel and do the Eiji Yoshikawa book

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
If a season 2 happens I'm optimistic it will be good for the following reasons:

1. the world / setting they've built is already established and a S2 will have a lot of momentum as a result

2. the adaptations and changes they made in S1 were all very good and mostly improvements from the source material, as opposed to some shows (GoT) where the deviations were generally worse than the source material

3. the massive success of S1 will likely result in an even bigger budget, with even bigger names likely wanting to be involved (granted, this could be a curse as well as a blessing)

4. it's not like the lives of "Blackthorne" and "Toranaga" aren't filled to the brim with crazy events and exploits - the writers would have plenty of material to build up to

5. the battle of Sekigahara is one of the most dramatic battles in all of history, with WAY more of a political aspect to it than almost any other battle I can think of (fuckers switching sides, betraying their oaths...poo poo, at one point "Toranaga" has to actually open fire on an undeclared unit to get it to either pick his side or fight him

In short, the showrunners have definitely shown a willingness to explore themes and develop character arcs that could make any season 2 scope thrilling and awesome.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Enderzero posted:

Christmas special! While Toranaga tries to understand the spirit of Christmas, a boat wrecks on the shore, full of entertainers.

“This troupe is called The Decemberists, my lord. They beg to perform for you.”

The Muppets Take Osaka Castle

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

5. the battle of Sekigahara is one of the most dramatic battles in all of history, with WAY more of a political aspect to it than almost any other battle I can think of (fuckers switching sides, betraying their oaths...poo poo, at one point "Toranaga" has to actually open fire on an undeclared unit to get it to either pick his side or fight him

Unfortunately pretty much all of that stuff has been proven to be a myth by modern scholarship in the past 10-15 years or so. Current historians have come to the conclusion that Kobayakawa Hideaki (among others) had decided to switch to Ieyasu's side well before the battle even began, and what's more, both sides knew it. Tokugawa never had to shoot at him to get him to pick a side, and in fact Kobayakawa is probably the one who starts the battle. He suddenly shows up at Mount Matsuo, kicks out the garrison the western army had placed there, forcing the western army to move to counter him. The eastern side also moves to support Kobayakawa, leading to them meeting at Sekigahara. Ishida wasn't even the nominal leader of the Western army, it would have been Mori Terumoto since the Mori clan was the biggest and most powerful clan in Western Japan, but the Mori army isn't at Sekigahara, because they've been blocked by the Kikkawa, another clan that had decided to switch sides well before the battle actually begins.

That said, the popular myth is obviously a cool story and would be good TV, so it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up doing it that way, if that's what they decide to do with a theoretical season 2.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I never really realized before that you can category shop between limited series and drama by opting for some vague promise of season 2 or not. Are there really other limited series this year they're spooked by?

Hard to accept something would be ridiculous in the notably rational area of media awards

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I'm fine with whatever even if it's disappointing. I just wanna see more clothes and scenery

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I never really realized before that you can category shop between limited series and drama by opting for some vague promise of season 2 or not. Are there really other limited series this year they're spooked by?

Hard to accept something would be ridiculous in the notably rational area of media awards

Only reason I am skeptical of that story is because you don't even have to pretend to have a season 2 to category shop. Lovecraft country ran as drama series and not limited series despite there never being any consideration for a season 2. The bear ran as a comedy, John Lithgow as a guest star even though he was in every episode in his season of dexter, etc.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Sure, the book has been completely filmed, all of the plot threads are resolved, the main characters dead or moved on, and the lead explicitly says what will happen with the main remaining conflict. Why let that stop you from making a second season?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I mean, the greatest single season of television of all time was season 2 of the leftovers which was exactly the scenario you described.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Ishido in his desperation digs a hole under Osaka Castle only to find a bunker where he has to enter a code every 108 minutes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ishido in his desperation digs a hole under Osaka Castle only to find a bunker where he has to enter a code every 108 minutes.

Can't wait to hear "Make your own kind of music" played on a shamisen.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not Penny's Bamboo Saw

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kiimo posted:

The Muppets Take Osaka Castle

"Why are there so many songs about jigai, and what's on the other side."

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

If a season 2 happens I'm optimistic it will be good for the following reasons:

Given how many flashbacks the show had and the amount of side stories in the book that were toned down, I could easily see them tapping all that to tell those stories and perhaps a year or two following Sekigahara.

We just need to keep the "hurry up with those scripts!" network beancounters out of the writers room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/azalben/status/1788992424154411272?t=bNesW_B4kDIGxH1kd5nn9w&s=19