Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Tournaments were also insanely political and the results seem to have been nudged in the right direction every now and then.

The European aristocracy hasn't really changed, they just make their money from financial rent rather than land rent, and they don't have fencing scars anymore.
Eurovision would definitely be better if heads of state occasionally got stabbed in the eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqzJMdo7DDs

this was basically takeshis castle but with euros and not as funny, but it ruled

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If they're crying crocodile tears this much over Eurovision, imagine the hysterical blubbering when Israeli Olympians are treated like pariahs this summer.

probably wont be their worst olympics experience still

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Good Citizen posted:

:wow:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1788913675652247915

yiiikes

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Good Citizen posted:

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Good Citizen posted:

Lmfao

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Halloween Jack posted:

Offer not available to trans women, terms and restrictions apply.

Reminds me of sometime last year or the year before in the bad thread, when the succs were arguing in favor of banning trans women from sports and completely missing the point that if you allow them to be banned because of biology, then you are tacitly admitting that they are Not Women. You abandon the entire loving cornerstone of trans rights, but nooo, it would surely only apply to them competing in sports and would certainly not be brought up in any other context to justify discrimination, we're still allies :downs:

Some Guy TT posted:

it turns out that trump might not have actually brought those classified documents to mar a lago at all half of those boxes were sent by the general security administration under biden and the vast majority of the stuff in those boxes wasnt classified documents and basically every time anyone has conducted an audit of what was in which box everything is in a completely different location

I would never have actually believed anyone was trying to frame Trump, but if that turns out to actually be the case, Jesus Christ, I can't even form words about how absurd that would be.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

bro

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

the_steve posted:

Reminds me of sometime last year or the year before in the bad thread, when the succs were arguing in favor of banning trans women from sports and completely missing the point that if you allow them to be banned because of biology, then you are tacitly admitting that they are Not Women. You abandon the entire loving cornerstone of trans rights, but nooo, it would surely only apply to them competing in sports and would certainly not be brought up in any other context to justify discrimination, we're still allies :downs:
Liberals are in favour of a trans ban because a) they're transphobes and b) they're chasing an electability that isn't even real.

It's a great example of how major party politics is completely hosed up: transphobia is a massive electoral loser for Republicans, but Republican politics is still heavily influenced by strategists who think it's a winning strategy, and Democratic strategists want to rein in trans rights because they think it's a losing issue. There's this whole class of people whose job is to interpret public opinion for the actual decisionmakers, and they're just charlatans.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

drake no : work from home
drake yes : convention from home

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Good Citizen posted:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Scarabrae posted:

drake yes : convention at private dave and busters party with teen girls

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

It's hilarious how terrified the dems are of their voter base

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Halloween Jack posted:

Liberals are in favour of a trans ban because a) they're transphobes and b) they're chasing an electability that isn't even real.

It's a great example of how major party politics is completely hosed up: transphobia is a massive electoral loser for Republicans, but Republican politics is still heavily influenced by strategists who think it's a winning strategy, and Democratic strategists want to rein in trans rights because they think it's a losing issue. There's this whole class of people whose job is to interpret public opinion for the actual decisionmakers, and they're just charlatans.

consider that this is the system working as intended, and all of the tea leaf readers exist to block the true opinions of the public from reaching the ears of officials

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

jesus loving christ is the author on the DNC payroll or something

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Scarabrae posted:

the story say it'd only be the nominations that are done remotely; chicago's hotels and dnc donors are counting on f2f time.

a big part of national political conventions are donors throwing parties for the politicians that they own & operate, and the fact that this'll be the first in-person dem convention in 8 years makes it all the more important.

but the nomination coming in remotely a few weeks before the actual convention makes sense bc of the OH deadline for getting biden on the ballot there. (He won't win OH but sherrod brown likely can't survive biden being left off the ballot.)

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Lmao

One of my favorite DNC anecdotes is from the 2020 convention, they wanted to show a map with dots representing where everyone was calling in from. This was their way of disproving the idea that they're all a bunch of "coastal elites".

The idea was scrapped because when they tested it all the dots were on the coasts.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Uncle Wemus posted:

the dems trying to physically beat them into submission sure is something

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

there's all sorts of quotes that allude to their saving democracy by preventing democracy.

quote:

“It’s an event that’s critical to the Democratic Party, so we’re all going to work together to make it a success,” Cook County President Toni Preckwinkle, a veteran of Chicago’s political wars, told me when I asked about the mayor and the governor.

Preckwinkle was far less enthused about a disruptive cacophony of free expression in the city. While noting she was “old enough to have been in a lot of anti-war marches,” she said that although people are free to protest, “the challenge, of course, is when people decide that expressing their opinion involves impeding other people’s ability to go to work, or go to school or acts of vandalism.”

the story laments the loss of michael madigan, indicted party mob boss:

quote:

With the demise of longtime Illinois Democratic boss (and state house speaker) Michael Madigan, though, there’s no semblance of a political machine here. What’s left is Pritzker, a billionaire who’s won two terms and can bankroll the party, and a handful of public employee unions, most notably the teachers from which Johnson emerged.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Al! posted:

the dems trying to physically beat them into submission sure is something

"You only got two picks and keep getting it wrong! "

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

There’s already a joke going around Democratic strategist circles that the main difference between 2024 and 1968 is that the Chicago mayor this year will be on the side of the protesters, not the cops.

Forty-eight-year-old Brandon Johnson, who was elected mayor last year after incumbent Lori Lightfoot failed to even make the runoff, was an organizer with the Chicago Teachers Union and has yet to fully make the jump from activist to mayor of one of America’s largest cities.

It’s ironic because soon after he became mayor, he hosted DNC Chair Jaime Harrison for lunch and, according to a Democrat familiar with the conversation, immediately pronounced that “nobody else represents the city but me.” He also asked if Harrison would have his back as a fellow Black man (Harrison, I’m told, tried to delicately explain that the convention would be a partnership between the party, the city and the state of Illinois).

“If there’s any mayor that understands the value of protest and demonstration, it’s me,” Johnson told reporters earlier this week at a groundbreaking, dismissing a question about Sen. Dick Durbin’s (D-Ill.) concerns over unrest in the city during the convention. Johnson said, “Without protests and real demands of a government, people of color and women do not have a place in society.”

More striking was how Johnson responded to whether he thought it was appropriate for police to have been dispatched last weekend to a protest at one of Chicago’s art museums. He spoke in a detached manner — the museum “made that request and the police department reacted,” the mayor said — evading the question and leaving the impression he somehow wasn’t in charge of the city and its police department.

Johnson praised the importance of protecting free speech and initially said that was paramount to safety, which he called “second most important,” before seeming to recognize his error.

When I asked him what his vision of a successful Democratic convention looked like, Johnson repeated the same formulation — “safe, vibrant and energetic” — before saying he wanted young people to “see what democracy really looks like.”

At no point did he mention Joe Biden or the importance of the convention in helping the president’s reelection.

It was an eye-opening exchange. And it made clear why so many Democrats, in Chicago and beyond, respond to questions about Johnson with a sigh and hope that he’ll recognize the weight of this moment, both for his career, the city and the country.

When I first saw the governor and mayor earlier in the week, it was at the Field Museum for an unveiling of an exhibit on a newly discovered bird fossil. As the two sat in the front row before the event got underway, just a single seat separating them, they looked straight ahead in silence and did not speak to one another in the way politicians of the same party almost always do in such moments.

With the demise of longtime Illinois Democratic boss (and state house speaker) Michael Madigan, though, there’s no semblance of a political machine here. What’s left is Pritzker, a billionaire who’s won two terms and can bankroll the party, and a handful of public employee unions, most notably the teachers from which Johnson emerged.

Senior Democrats made clear they’ll mostly lean on Pritzker and his canny chief of staff, Anne Caprara, this summer.

The governor already prevailed in a proxy war with the mayor over who would run the host committee. Pritzker installed another of his lieutenants to oversee the local organization that helps put on the conclave along with the convention directors, national party and Biden campaign. Johnson was, though, able to make a member of his inner circle a senior adviser to the host committee as part of an agreement to keep peace between the mayor and governor.

Jonathan Martin is seething with contempt for Johnson. He hates the guy and everything he stands for politically. The headline material about the hybrid convention only lasts for a few paragraphs before the piece turns into a laundry list of all the ways the author thinks Johnson sucks.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VoicesCanBe posted:

Lmao

One of my favorite DNC anecdotes is from the 2020 convention, they wanted to show a map with dots representing where everyone was calling in from. This was their way of disproving the idea that they're all a bunch of "coastal elites".

The idea was scrapped because when they tested it all the dots were on the coasts.

lol

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

jesus christ lol

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Halloween Jack posted:

Call them whatever: popularists, third way dems, blue dogs, etc

There's an entire industry of these "strategic" hacks whose job it is to claim that centrist ideology is public opinion, and that "going too far" will lose elections

This is completely divorced from actual public opinion, because it doesn't matter. These people are paid to provide an intellectual framework that prevents progress. If they so happen to believe the BS they spout, all the better (as far as the party is concerned)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SgtMongoose posted:

TBH that sounds like major "polls aren't real" cope. I'm pretty sure the first question in a likely voter screen is generally "Do you intend to vote?"

sure, and even ignoring how traditionally people answer "yes" to that question even if they don't end up voting, demographic re-weighting means that they take the people who did pass the likely voter screen and multiply that number by the expected demographics of the 2024 election.

besides, we're getting pitiful number of polls, lets look just at Michigan. 538 lists 13 Michigan polls in April, seems like a lot, right? We have 6 Biden/Trump polls, 5 Biden/Trump/3rd, 1 Biden/RFK, and 1 Trump/RFK.

Looking at just the head to head polls for simplicity, we have 2 likely voter polls and 4 registered voter polls:

LV 4/8-11 - Trump +6
RV 4/8-15 - Biden +2
RV 4/11-16 - Trump +3
RV 4/20-21 - Trump +15
LV 4/19-25 - Biden +2
RV 4/25-29 - Trump +4

The 2 likely voter polls are 5 points apart, right in the middle of the spread for the registered voter polls.

The LV 4/19-25 - Biden +2 poll was YouGov, which reweights their likely voters based on several factors:

quote:

The CBS News/YouGov survey o 1,287 registered voters in Michigan was conducted betweenApril 19-25, 2024.This sample was weighted according to gender, age, race, and education based on the U.S.Census American Community Survey, and the U.S. Census Current Population Survey, as wellas 2020 Presidential vote. “Likely voters” – respondents’ relative probabilities o voting – weredetermined using a regression model that incorporates current, sel-reported intentions to vote,along with individual-level and aggregate data about voters, such as demographics and votehistory. Respondents were selected to be representative o registered voters in Michigan. O the1,287 respondents, 971 were selected rom YouGov’s online panel, 172 were selected rom PureSpectrum’s online panel, and 35 were selected rom Dynata’s online panel. The weights rangerom 0.1 to 3.6, with a mean o 1 and a standard deviation o 0.5.

The LV 4/8-11 - Trump +6 was by Marketing Research Group, and claims to be a likely voter poll, but sure looks like a registered voter poll to me:

quote:

The survey of 600 likely Michigan voters was conducted by live phone interview from April 8 to April 11, 2024, with a +1.3 DEM
sample. The sample was randomly drawn from a listed sample of all registered voters with a history of voting and stratified by city
and township to reflect voter turnout
. Quotas for gender and cell phone interviews were met within each geographic area, and extra
efforts were made to reach African Americans. Because of rounding, some columns or results may not add up to 100%. Individual
rounding may impact final totals. This survey yields a sampling margin of error of ±4 percent with a 95 percent confidence interval.
The sampling margin of error for subgroups may be higher depending on the subgroup size.

So we've really got only 1 likely voter poll in Michigan in the last month and it re-weights responses to fit historical voting patterns, which if those do not hold, means the poll will fail to be predictive.

tldr: polls have been getting worse, we've been doing fewer of them, and it all adds up to poo poo data on the state level, the only level that matters.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Why is Israel in Eurovision anyway? They aren't in Europe. Do Morocco and Egypt get to be in Eurovision?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

In a functional democracy that would be a good thingz that party would change their behavior. But lol lmao

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

KomradeX posted:

In a functional democracy that would be a good thingz that party would change their behavior. But lol lmao

Peasants don't know what's best for their betters. That's why American democracy has removed all political influence from them.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1788941745905905674

I don't feel like doing math but I feel like that amount of defection is enough to tip the scales, even if most of that 30% switching to Trump and RFK Jr. "come home" in November

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

that seems like a fine/cool thing that definitely doesn't play directly into concerns about Biden's fundamental capabilities and competence while further undermining his core (if blatantly false) appeal of being a 'normal' president

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Scarabrae posted:

drake fan, huh

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Why is Israel in Eurovision anyway? They aren't in Europe. Do Morocco and Egypt get to be in Eurovision?
Why are a bunch of Central European and Mediterranean nations part of something called the North Atlantic Treaty Organization?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I mean that’s what they did in 2020 except this time they don’t have COVID as an excuse.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://x.com/thehill/status/1788978834437541981

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Good news for Biden's Climate plans: more expensive EVs, Solar Panels and Batteries!

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/may/10/biden-white-house-to-expand-tariffs-on-chinese-trade

Joe Biden is expected as early as next week to announce fresh tariffs on Chinese trade, with levies focused on strategic sectors including electric vehicles, in a review of measures first put into place under Donald Trump.

An announcement planned for Tuesday will keep the blanket tax rises introduced by the president’s predecessor but supplement them with targeted levies on industries connected to EVs, including batteries and solar cells, according to reports.

The plan, first reported by Bloomberg, would be the culmination of a review of the sweeping tariffs on Beijing that began in 2018. During his presidency, Trump imposed a 27.5% tax on imports of Chinese EVs that Biden has since extended, which has kept the number of Chinese-made cars on US roads extremely low.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/1788613709998457187

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1788941745905905674

I don't feel like doing math but I feel like that amount of defection is enough to tip the scales, even if most of that 30% switching to Trump and RFK Jr. "come home" in November

I'm pretty sure this is the poll data they're reporting on: [url][/url] but I can't find a table where they break it down to the level the clip is showing; they must have had access to the source data. I can't find a table that breaks down by who they voted for in 2020. However, the top-line split is basically 30/70 approve/disapprove, so that drop is potentially like a full quarter of the votes Biden got in 2020. I think that's likely the outer bound though, the real drop is probably lower.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

replace all audio of biden with him saying his brother was eaten by cannibals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Portugal was far worse than Spain in terms of squandering the wealth that they pillaged.

Just for reference:
Spain took about 200 metric tons of gold from the entirety of Spanish America
The California gold rush had about 340 metric tons of gold
Meanwhile, during the 18th century alone Portugal took 800 metric tons of gold.

What did they do with it? Paid commercial imbalances with England.
In exchange for naval and military protection, Portugal agreed that British textiles could enter Portugal tax free, while Portuguese wines would enter England paying 1/3 less tariffs than French wine.

Spain took far more silver out though. Like by a magnitude of 10.