Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i would rather have my gund-drop buttons stolen than ever hear about gundam seed ever again in any capacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Eej posted:

After Japan Orb gets targetted (again) she launches in Strike Rouge and I think it's called Cavalier III?

The Rouge is buried under this thing, which is the Dragonar reference.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well that's about as direct of a reference it can be if Kunio Okawara worked on both.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
drat, I thought it was supposed to be a scopedog type thing given the visor

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eej posted:

Well that's about as direct of a reference it can be if Kunio Okawara worked on both.

It can get more direct.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Between WfM, SF, and Hathaway, Gundam has really been going great recently. The franchise has its ups and downs but this is definitely a high point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know if it's quite at the peak of the 2015-2018 period but that's probably the COVID years coloring my memory of times before.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Between WfM, SF, and Hathaway, Gundam has really been going great recently. The franchise has its ups and downs but this is definitely a high point.

Not to mention the G-reco movies wrapped up only a few years back!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Series feels in a better place than in 2015-18 simply cause it's feels like non-UC stuff is more viable and they're willing to take more chances than 15-18 due to Age being such a disaster

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Can't find much enthusiasm about any of it in terms of production though. We got a movie that took decades to realize, another film series on a ??? schedule, and them limping over the finish line of one split-cour show. Understandable circumstances in all cases but it doesn't feel good or inspire optimism.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
AGE may continue to cast a pall on Gundam but I think a lot of the current issues are more that the industry at large is bursting at the seams. Plus Sunrise has their own strange priorities sometimes.

I don't disagree that the franchise has been taking in the cash and has been financially successful but I'm hesitant to call it "healthy".

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 10, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

Fukuda also worked on Dragonar and the dude loves sprinkling references in. (For the record Athrun's previously mentioned cool car is actually the Ashurada from Cyber Formula GPX, just as another example.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 10, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Series feels in a better place than in 2015-18 simply cause it's feels like non-UC stuff is more viable and they're willing to take more chances than 15-18 due to Age being such a disaster

Yeah Hathaway and SF are targeted at different parts of the core Gundam audience while WfM was targeted at non-Gundam fans, and all three were great and succeeded at their goals. It feels like Gundam is in a very broadly healthy place

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Bandai just released the earnings for gundam this fiscal year and it made 145 billion yen compared to 130 a year go.

So yeah. It's doing just fine on all fronts.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

How did people feel about the large number of CG grunt suits at the beginning of Freedom? I think it was fine in the later part of the movie when it was quick cuts of 1 or 2 MS, but the first battle had some long shots on groups of grunt suits and the movement was stuttery.

I think you’d notice it less not in a theater, but the first like 10 min of the movie was super herky jerky whenever a CG MS is on.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah it looked a bit rough on the cg at first. There also seemed to be way more of it at the beginning compared to the final fight.

But hey, the wingdam finally got an on screen kill!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

haypliss posted:

Can't find much enthusiasm about any of it in terms of production though. We got a movie that took decades to realize, another film series on a ??? schedule, and them limping over the finish line of one split-cour show. Understandable circumstances in all cases but it doesn't feel good or inspire optimism.
tbf in freedom's case i dont think it was really in production hell, it seems like production only really started in earnest a few years ago. it was more the issues with the SEED writer passing away throwing everything off and the director not wanting to revisit it since he was married to her and going fullsteam ahead right after would have felt callous to him. its not really a production issue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Bandai just released the earnings for gundam this fiscal year and it made 145 billion yen compared to 130 a year go.

So yeah. It's doing just fine on all fronts.
the very funny part of this is people going SEE THIS PROVES WITCH FROM MERCURY IS A FAILURE even though the fiscal year includes the back half of the wfm kits and merch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's funny watching them conflate their hatred for the show with imaginary sales figures that aren't backed up by the actual numbers.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

How much of that gundams revenue is going to be reinvested into cool shows and movies and how much is going into propping up stupid bullshit like metaverse

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

tbf in freedom's case i dont think it was really in production hell, it seems like production only really started in earnest a few years ago. it was more the issues with the SEED writer passing away throwing everything off and the director not wanting to revisit it since he was married to her and going fullsteam ahead right after would have felt callous to him. its not really a production issue.

Yeah, to be clear, Kira and Lacus were genuinely important to Fukuda and his wife. It was something they got mocked for at times but IIRC they even cosplayed as them. It's not hugely surprising that doing a big movie focused on Kira and Lacus' romance would likely sting more than a little. It's also why I'm a bit sympathetic to the film for being basically raw wish fulfillment romance stuff because Morisawa is still credited as a writer on it and I'm not really going to blame a dude for taking a big-rear end budget and making a film about how much he loves his now-deceased wife.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

How much of that gundams revenue is going to be reinvested into cool shows and movies and how much is going into propping up stupid bullshit like metaverse
the GUNDAM METAVERSE already bombed

it will instead be redistributed to japan only arcade games and premium bandai kits

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, to be clear, Kira and Lacus were genuinely important to Fukuda and his wife. It was something they got mocked for at times but IIRC they even cosplayed as them. It's not hugely surprising that doing a big movie focused on Kira and Lacus' romance would likely sting more than a little. It's also why I'm a bit sympathetic to the film for being basically raw wish fulfillment romance stuff because Morisawa is still credited as a writer on it and I'm not really going to blame a dude for taking a big-rear end budget and making a film about how much he loves his now-deceased wife.

frankly, i liked freedom. its messy and weird but it also feels really honest and human. its a lot closer to something like a cross ange than a seed destiny. its got some baggage due to being, well, a seed destiny sequel and it really feels like it desperately wants to be two movies but outside of a handful of episodes of OG seed its probably my favorite thing done with seed. (with apologies to astray, which has some cool concepts and characters but really meandering plotting) (and apologies to super robot wars z which im not counting)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're probably gonna make a MOBA as a second attempt to prop up the esports pillar of the Metaverse initiative, but otherwise, it seems like it's been a dud, and especially after it accidentally leaked a bunch of kits, it doesn't seem worth throwing good money after bad. Especially since the whole fad seems to be on the downswing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

the GUNDAM METAVERSE already bombed

it will instead be redistributed to japan only arcade games and premium bandai kits

Wait is bandai actually giving up on that instead of continuing to barrel full steam ahead

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They're probably gonna make a MOBA as a second attempt to prop up the esports pillar of the Metaverse initiative, but otherwise, it seems like it's been a dud, and especially after it accidentally leaked a bunch of kits, it doesn't seem worth throwing good money after bad. Especially since the whole fad seems to be on the downswing.

I'm going to be very disappointed if they release a gundam moba and dont call it moba suit gundam

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

frankly, i liked freedom. its messy and weird but it also feels really honest and human. its a lot closer to something like a cross ange than a seed destiny. its got some baggage due to being, well, a seed destiny sequel and it really feels like it desperately wants to be two movies but outside of a handful of episodes of OG seed its probably my favorite thing done with seed. (with apologies to astray, which has some cool concepts and characters but really meandering plotting) (and apologies to super robot wars z which im not counting)

It's messy but messy isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think the 'honesty' (for lack of a better word) of it is part of why it is resonating with people. It's a weird goofy movie with notable issues but it feels like something genuinely created by a person and not something pumped out by a marketing department.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

It's messy but messy isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think the 'honesty' (for lack of a better word) of it is part of why it is resonating with people. It's a weird goofy movie with notable issues but it feels like something genuinely created by a person and not something pumped out by a marketing department.

Messy is a core part of Seed since like halfway through the OG show. So I’m always here for it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think the biggest damper on my enthusiasm is not having a clear schedule for when a given project is coming. The thing I'm most excited about right now is Hathaway 2, and the release for that is ???. Unicorn 2 has been teased for over 5 years now right? Where is it?

I find it hard to look forward to something that might be 6 months or 6 years away from seeing daylight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Wait is bandai actually giving up on that instead of continuing to barrel full steam ahead
they havent announced 'we are giving up on it' but basically every part of the initiative has been shut down. you were meant to be chilling in the metaverse perusing kits as you watched gundam evolution esports.

what happened is they gave everyone 3d printer schematics for kits and made an overwatch clone that died. there was a relaunch of the 'metaverse project' app a few months back but it was basically just a 3d gallery of jpgs of kitbash contest winners, the scope had been drastically reduced.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think the word you're looking for is earnest. Fukuda and co just really love SEED and aren't afraid to acknowledge how silly it is.

Eej fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 10, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bandai Namco may be up there with some mind boggling dumb decisions but they're not quite put all their eggs in one basket dumb or Xbox division dumb. I imagine they'll make sure core Gundam projects get funded along with whatever weird experiments they do

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

We also got robbed of the Impulse launching via the Core Splendor imo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Warmachine posted:

I think the biggest damper on my enthusiasm is not having a clear schedule for when a given project is coming. The thing I'm most excited about right now is Hathaway 2, and the release for that is ???. Unicorn 2 has been teased for over 5 years now right? Where is it?

I find it hard to look forward to something that might be 6 months or 6 years away from seeing daylight.

Don't worry we've got new Igloo coming at some indeterminate time and the VR extravaganza coming at some indeterminate time.

All proceeds will go towards Ver Ka redesigns.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

We also got robbed of the Impulse launching via the Core Splendor imo.

One of the few points I'll give Destiny was finding a problem for the transformation system to solve. "Here's an Ace Combat style trench run and the only thing that will fit is your disassembled mobile suit in flyer mode." Yeah, narratively it's contrived, but it is just organic enough to justify a toyetic feature having a practical application.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Impulse is the kind of thing that absolutely makes sense in a setting where singular ace pilots are considered able to turn the tides of entire battles. (i.e: most Gundam series.)

It's designed to be an instantly modular machine that can have its parts and weaponry exchanged on the fly and is designed such that anything short of a direct cockpit shot will leave its pilot able to escape and return to the battlefield in moments. In the hands of someone like Shin it becomes genuinely terrifying because he is absolutely good enough to fight the best pilots in the setting and unlike most other MSes he can afford to sacrifice parts of his robot to do it as long as he's got backup.

(Shooting parts out of your carrier is goofy but y'know, giant mech show.)

Age should have done this even better with its whole 3D Printer gimmick except Age.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Don't worry we've got new Igloo coming at some indeterminate time and the VR extravaganza coming at some indeterminate time.

All proceeds will go towards P-Bandai exclusive Ver Ka redesigns.

Ftfy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Bandai Namco may be up there with some mind boggling dumb decisions but they're not quite put all their eggs in one basket dumb or Xbox division dumb. I imagine they'll make sure core Gundam projects get funded along with whatever weird experiments they do
as much as people (rightly) complain about the metaverse stuff its just, one of many things they were doing. they made a big app, it bombed, lets move on. theres a reason the metaverse anime was just a 3 ep mini series. if they were really that all in on it g-witch would have been about the metaverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Impulse is the kind of thing that absolutely makes sense in a setting where singular ace pilots are considered able to turn the tides of entire battles. (i.e: most Gundam series.)

It's designed to be an instantly modular machine that can have its parts and weaponry exchanged on the fly and is designed such that anything short of a direct cockpit shot will leave its pilot able to escape and return to the battlefield in moments. In the hands of someone like Shin it becomes genuinely terrifying because he is absolutely good enough to fight the best pilots in the setting and unlike most other MSes he can afford to sacrifice parts of his robot to do it as long as he's got backup.

(Shooting parts out of your carrier is goofy but y'know, giant mech show.)

Age should have done this even better with its whole 3D Printer gimmick except Age.

Yeah I think launching it in pieces every episode is just an animation save. In OG even when the G Armor was around the Gundam would still launch all together when it made sense.

Edit: I’m glad Shin got some time in freedom post Destiny arc to not be the worst. He’s actually a sort of an interesting villain in my eyes for a lot of Destiny, but they only let him be normal of like 10 secs in the last episode.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 10, 2024