Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Even if their functionality isn’t great on higher missions, giving us the option to dick around the map with apcs and atvs or god knows whatever else sounds like a lot of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Helldivers 0.0004 seconds after APCs are released

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just want a loving motorbike, man.

This is Sony's opportunity to pay for a JetMoto reboot/crossover

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

jokes posted:

I am looking forward to shooting down the Illuminates' war of the worlds style tripods that were leaked

Not having seen the designs won't it resemble a bile titan?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Video Nasty posted:

the closest comparison is probably cthulhu's take on the half life 2 strider

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So not EDF walkers, then

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Video Nasty posted:

It looks like the Spielberg wotw tripods

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Video Nasty posted:

big real spoiler do not go to this link

https://i.imgur.com/U6SLIhV.png

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

i keep on trying to bring the mech on missions and every single time i do a charger just sort of appears and kills it immediately or one of my teammates decides it's time to shoot an airburst rocket at it. and when i do finally get to call it down i kill maybe two heavies with it before the missiles are out and then i am out a strategem slot for 15 minutes. i assume that the mech exists to act like a walking super turret that has very limited uptime during a mission but man it just does not have enough anti-heavy firepower to justify its existence and there are plenty of better options for clearing out hordes of trash mobs. if it had better uptime that'd also be fine but as is you'll also probably need anti group and anti heavy strategems anyways for the 85% of the mission that you won't have the robot for

I use it on exterminate missions to defend my turrets. Half the time it dies right away because of something extremely dumb and when that happens and I fail to defend my sentries I just go get the traitor bombs.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

if the bots are Communist, and the bugs are...well, vile bugs, then what are the Illuminate?

European?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

if the bots are Communist, and the bugs are...well, vile bugs, then what are the Illuminate?

European?

The bots are communists, the bugs are fascists, and the Illuminate are terrorists with WMDs

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sagebrush posted:

big real spoiler do not go to this link

https://i.imgur.com/U6SLIhV.png

Helldivers 2 really isn't shy about its inspirations...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

European?

the bots are commies, the bugs are fascists and the illuminate are wmd hoarding terrorists

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I am having a lot of missions crashing putting me back on my ship or crash to Windows desktop the last day or two. Is it just me? This game has always had the occasional crash but it's much more frequent for me right now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zwabu posted:

I am having a lot of missions crashing putting me back on my ship or crash to Windows desktop the last day or two. Is it just me? This game has always had the occasional crash but it's much more frequent for me right now.

Game's been remarkably stable for me for the last month or so, really no crashes to speak of at all since close to launch. I know this is not the case for everybody (obviously, you are one of those people) but I haven't really had any of those issues lately.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Risky Bisquick posted:

On bugs you generally kite them as defense, so yes. Bots can shoot you so there are varying personal choices to be made on that side.

The light armor with the explosive resistance and 30% stability aim while crouch/prone has been my default for either bugs or bots, though its strengths lean more towards bots. Light scout armor with the reduction to enemy detection is absolutely clutch against bots and hulks in particular. I prefer light armor specifically so I can run the gently caress away.

Infidelicious posted:

You give my scythe / HMG build a go yet?

I did! I like the HMG with supply backpack. It did better than I expected against ground medium bots. I did miss the autocannon's ability to pop bot fabs and two-shotting gunships

I'm not precise enough with the scythe to land those headshots, so it was rough to use.

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 10, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Zwabu posted:

My group has had these issues this week as well. Started with the previous balance patch. Game was stable all night last night though.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Zwabu posted:

This has happened to me.

I would like to trade my secondary weapon for jet boots. Like the gunboats in TF2.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Should I switch to light armor? I find that half of the time I’m getting chased by bugs I’m struggling to put any distance between us

Yeah the only thing that reliably one shots you on bugs is spewers and they don't give a poo poo what armor you are wearing. A charger pinning you to the wall is going to kill you regardless of what you are wearing.

You'll need to be a little more active stimming but that's about it.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

explosivo posted:

The tank in HD1 was controlled with both sticks, each stick corresponded to one tank tread. So both sticks up makes you move forward, one up and one down makes you spin around in a circle. It'd be extremely funny if they did something similar here.

According to the datamined vehicle content they're all manual drive/stick shift.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sagebrush posted:

I played one Destroy Eggs mission where all four of us brought the mech and called it down at the beginning and that was pretty fuckin cool until we all ran out of ammo five minutes later and the game went back to normal.

I honestly am kinda struggling to understand what the upcoming vehicles -- I think the only confirmed one is the APC that we see destroyed around the maps sometimes -- are supposed to bring to the game. The maps aren't really big enough to require them; a dedicated team can already clear the entire mission of POIs and side objectives with plenty of time remaining. The terrain in this game is generally very hilly and bumpy and often has narrow passageways and stuff, which I can't see a wheeled vehicle navigating very well. Vehicles give you speed at the expense of maneuverability, but there aren't really any places in the maps where you could get up a good speed, and in this game losing maneuverability is a death sentence. If everyone is inside the same vehicle, that means the whole team can get killed by a single tank shot or bile titan spew. And unless we can stand on the roof or shoot out the windows, being inside a truck removes firepower from the team.

Like obviously this is all out my rear end because we haven't seen the implementation, but in my best estimation I just don't see the point. Maybe if they are introduced simultaneously with much larger, flatter maps to use them in? An entirely different mission type where you have to transport stuff point A to point B and it's much further than the team could walk? Idk.

it adds cool new poo poo

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I played one Destroy Eggs mission where all four of us brought the mech and called it down at the beginning and that was pretty fuckin cool until we all ran out of ammo five minutes later and the game went back to normal.

I honestly am kinda struggling to understand what the upcoming vehicles -- I think the only confirmed one is the APC that we see destroyed around the maps sometimes -- are supposed to bring to the game. The maps aren't really big enough to require them; a dedicated team can already clear the entire mission of POIs and side objectives with plenty of time remaining. The terrain in this game is generally very hilly and bumpy and often has narrow passageways and stuff, which I can't see a wheeled vehicle navigating very well. Vehicles give you speed at the expense of maneuverability, but there aren't really any places in the maps where you could get up a good speed, and in this game losing maneuverability is a death sentence. If everyone is inside the same vehicle, that means the whole team can get killed by a single tank shot or bile titan spew. And unless we can stand on the roof or shoot out the windows, being inside a truck removes firepower from the team.

Like obviously this is all out my rear end because we haven't seen the implementation, but in my best estimation I just don't see the point. Maybe if they are introduced simultaneously with much larger, flatter maps to use them in? An entirely different mission type where you have to transport stuff point A to point B and it's much further than the team could walk? Idk.

I don't think it's safe to assume we've seen the largest maps we are likely to see. We know city maps are likely to show up at some point, there's a chance we could see some big battlefield sized map where the "Do we succeed" depends entirely on people bringing vehicles. That would be neat.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Been doing bot 7s and 8s and I still maintain the Purifier is a clunky but otherwise serviceable sidegrade to the Scorcher or Plasma Punisher. :colbert: It's a plasma DMR that staggers all but heavies. It's not bad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't know exactly how we upgrade the super destroyer by collecting pretty yellow flowers but i'm here for it

Captain Beans posted:

it adds cool new poo poo

well yeah but the mech was cool new poo poo too and nobody ever uses it because it's really not that useful in its current state.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 10, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I still see at least one person take a mech in most bug eradicates I play.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Weren't there something like 50 datamined planet biomes that haven't shown up in the game yet? I could definitely see them introducing new mission types at least that are on bigger maps when they do add vehicles.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

explosivo posted:

Weren't there something like 50 datamined planet biomes that haven't shown up in the game yet? I could definitely see them introducing new mission types at least that are on bigger maps when they do add vehicles.

yeah there's a ton of planned biomes not fully implemented in the game

i think that adding larger maps might be tricky, though. this game does not appear to render environments very efficiently so adding larger maps would probably be incredibly taxing. my performance already shits the bed if the biome and procgen don't cooperate

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

novaSphere posted:

Been doing bot 7s and 8s and I still maintain the Purifier is a clunky but otherwise serviceable sidegrade to the Scorcher or Plasma Punisher. :colbert: It's a plasma DMR that staggers all but heavies. It's not bad.

It needs more damage to justify its slow and clunky loving charging. You can barely use it as a long ranged option because the sights are lovely red dots. Its projectile is small, meaning you can miss what seemed like sure hits by slipping straight through the bots' armpits. Its TTK for Scout Striders and Devastators is twice that of the Plasma Punisher because of the charge time, and the Plasma Punisher still can engage long range targets with its buffed projectile speed.

Also the max charge sound is so loving soft unlike the Arc Thrower's that it gets drowned out by the loving music.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The warthog knockoff I think would be comically busted in the game currently because the best strategy for knocking out high difficulty missions is to just do them very very fast, and game bot drops/bug breaches by triggering them and then zipping off far way to the actual objective.

It can't be emphasized enough that this is probably among the best overall strats solo or with groups:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

European?

snooty woke liberals

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

skaianDestiny posted:

It needs more damage to justify its slow and clunky loving charging. You can barely use it as a long ranged option because the sights are lovely red dots. Its projectile is small, meaning you can miss what seemed like sure hits by slipping straight through the bots' armpits. Its TTK for Scout Striders and Devastators is twice that of the Plasma Punisher because of the charge time, and the Plasma Punisher still can engage long range targets with its buffed projectile speed.

Also the max charge sound is so loving soft unlike the Arc Thrower's that it gets drowned out by the loving music.

The muzzle glow flashes briefly when it's charged and eventually you get muscle memory for it; it's very similar to the arc thrower's timing. I don't disagree it's super clunky and the scope isn't very good (doubly so with the muzzle glow obscuring some of your view), but the projectile doesn't seem that small and neither is the AoE. I was mistaken when I said it was comparable to the Plasma Punisher's AoE, but it's definitely bigger than the Scorcher's. It's not amazing like Eruptor 1.0 was, but it's definitely not a meme gun. For what it's worth, I also think the Plasma Punisher is currently very strong in general.

The marketing copy for the gun implies you should be able to hold the charge for increased damage, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I suspect they pushed unfinished versions of this warbond's guns (evidenced by the incorrect paint job on the Tenderizer) so maybe it'll change.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 10, 2024

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009
If anyone has excess free time, I haven't seen any data on whether the Tenderizer might have better damage fall-off and/or durable damage compared to the Liberator. I have seen plenty of people write off the "higher caliber" flavor-text without this data though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used it for a while last night and I actually like it, it feels better than the Liberator to me - almost like it gets bonus damage against weakspots the same way the laser cannon does. But that's anecdotal and I haven't seen any data or testing on it either.

It blows the back legs off brood commanders incredibly fast.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

deep dish peat moss posted:

I used it for a while last night and I actually like it, it feels better than the Liberator to me - almost like it gets bonus damage against weakspots the same way the laser cannon does. But that's anecdotal and I haven't seen any data or testing on it either.

There's no such thing as "bonus damage vs weakspots" in the game. There's only normal damage and "durable" damage, with body parts having certain percentages of being "durable". The bot head hitboxes just tend to have less armor, 0% durable, and less health so getting headshots on them is way easier and instantly kills them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

where is my Jazz pattern light armor

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Baby T. Love posted:

If anyone has excess free time, I haven't seen any data on whether the Tenderizer might have better damage fall-off and/or durable damage compared to the Liberator. I have seen plenty of people write off the "higher caliber" flavor-text without this data though.

what does this "durable damage" mean

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

explained a few posts above but it's what everyone used to think "weakspot damage" was, but like the reverse of that. "Weakspots" are just places on the mob that don't have innate damage resistance.

VV yeah was looking for that post. Basically some of the damage stuff doesn't really work how we were lead to believe. VV

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 10, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pharmaskittle posted:

what does this "durable damage" mean
https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1cmg8nu/damage_is_still_not_what_you_think_how_explosive/

tl;dr: some enemy body parts are "durable", and weapons have both a regular damage value and a different damage value against durable parts.
Typical weapons have durable damage equal to around 10% of their normal damage, but harder hitting slower firing weapons often have more, and explosive weapons have very high durable damage.
This is further complicated by how parts may be partially durable. For instance brood commander head is 60% durable, so it takes 60% of a weapon's durable damage and 40% of its normal damage when hit.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 10, 2024

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

e: you beat me to the post about it I was looking for lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
My guess is vehicles will be balanced by a long cooldown and low durability - great for zipping between objectives or sweeping for POI’s efficiently but not much else. Like maybe it’ll let you paste some lower tier enemies but if a horde corners them or a big burly boy comes knocking then it’ll probably blow up really quick.