Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"Amazon keeps grabbing more and more!" Everything your business uses logistics-wise belongs to them sweetie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

how ironic, you quit your NVIDIA engineering job for your lucrative stocks but investors love reduced headcount so the stock price goes up and means more engineers leave because the stock went up which investors love because reduced headcount etc etc until it’s just one guy

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Nvidia doesnt even make its own chips lol

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Try the new McGruel.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jel Shaker posted:

how ironic, you quit your NVIDIA engineering job for your lucrative stocks but investors love reduced headcount so the stock price goes up and means more engineers leave because the stock went up which investors love because reduced headcount etc etc until it’s just one guy

investors love lay offs, not retirements. layoffs are good because it shows the c-suite is actively taking the workers down a peg and reducing overhead and guarantee shareholder return. people retiring is bad because it’s voluntary

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1788877115296710910

lol wording

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

excited to see how little food they will offer for $5

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

People here keep saying that McDonald's is cheaper in the app. I checked the app yesterday and the prices are identical to what you pay in store at my location. Some real bait and switch poo poo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People here keep saying that McDonald's is cheaper in the app. I checked the app yesterday and the prices are identical to what you pay in store at my location. Some real bait and switch poo poo.

There is a 4 for $4 in the app

Apr 7, 2003

Nonsense posted:

There is a 4 for $4 in the app

Not at my location. There's just a lovely free medium fries special.

Apr 7, 2003

gently caress you, McDonalds!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Not at my location. There's just a lovely free medium fries special.

around here they're advertising 20% off anything you order in the app

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

wrong

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
there is a "Deals" button, you are fake news

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

I love them crying about Trump's zero sum world view but nothing about Bidens, also their assertion that there's any meaningful difference between the two re:foreign policy.

America's one capital-serving party is just gonna mask off and be happily fascist; most Americans will gladly follow suit. If anyone thinks theyve seen America at its most villainous the next century is gonna surprise a lot of folks.

economist articles are all written by mid 20s failson dipshits cranked out by the ivies or the mormon industrial complex

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Lol remember when you could just walk into a fast food place and buy some cheap food with cash, very simple and uncomplicated I guess that's dead.

prima noctis?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The axis of the world runs through pittsburgh

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Gorson posted:

Lol remember when you could just walk into a fast food place and buy some cheap food with cash, very simple and uncomplicated I guess that's dead.

prima noctis?

he isn’t fond of women who are young enough to have children sorry

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

I can never tell what the actual water usage of these fabs are because dumbo journos use the term "use". A lot of water is 'used' per chip but its largely recycled because the water has to be ultrapure anyway. So like a large amount must be trapped in the refining loop onsite.

Process / cooling water can be (and is) highly recycled. But the majority (like >70%) of water use in a fab is ultrapure water for rinsing etc. UPW production is not a closed loop. UPW waste streams can be recycled for cooling or other things, but since those systems don't require nearly as much volume as UPW (and since those are already easily recycled), this doesn't help much.

There have been increasing efforts to re-use UPW effluent as the input to UPW production, but this is only done to a limited extent. A lot of UPW effluent just gets discharged to the municipal sewer. In many ways, the UPW waste that is flushed is cleaner than what is provided in the first place, but that does not necessarily mean it is just as suitable (or more suitable) as an input stream for UPW production, since each process step introduces contaminants that are not present in the municipal supply, sometimes at high concentrations.

At the end of the day it just boils down to money. If the water utility forced fabs to be more efficient with UPW, either by charging them more or restricting their allotment, they could absolutely be much more efficient not only with UPW recycling, but UPW use. Reprocessing of UPW effluent is becoming more common but there is still a lot of waste. The TSMC Arizona fab is "supposed" to achieve a 90% water recycling rate but I have no idea how many asterixis accompany that number or even if the loving thing will ever be built lol.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

always funny that the program he’s desperately watching is people murdering each other with guns

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember lots of western articles pointing out that Russias falling birth rate was a bad thing or something

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

calculating 20% of a mcdouble to determine if it fits in my monthly budget

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

This is functionally no different than when I was using dating sites like 15 years ago. Dating app gives you a compatibility score based on whatever proprietary things they focus on (hobbies, personalities, religion) to filter the results.

Adding a chatbot veneer and selecting for criteria like 'serial codependent' or 'bipolar' and calling it AI is definitely a ... thing.

*doing 80 trillion floating point calculations per second at 12 MW of power usage and 800 gallons of water per minute to determine that I am unfuckable*

computer, try again, but with this profile pic

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Not buying fast food is technically a boycott and is therefore antisemitic. Buy 2 Mcchickens for 20 dollars on the app or else.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

motherfucker!

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Because of TikTok, I know that the McDonald's dollar menu lives on in China

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
I'm trying very hard to understand this wikipedia entry without getting a nosebleed. Can someone explain the various stages of American capitalism detailed herein and what they mean? I was trying to understand why every florist where my parents live, except for the most boutique and upscale ones, which I know are brick and mortar, offers the same flowers for Mothers' Day, and now I'm at a total loss.

:psyduck:

Where the gently caress do flowers come from? posted:

FTD LLC (FTD), also known as Florists' Transworld Delivery, is a floral wire service, retailer, and wholesaler based in Downers Grove, Illinois, in the United States. FTD was founded as Florists' Telegraph Delivery in 1910, to help customers send flowers remotely on the same day by using florists in the FTD network who are near the intended recipient. It was based in Detroit, Michigan and then moved to Southfield, Michigan prior to its move to Downers Grove. It originated as a retailers' cooperative and began a process of demutualization in 1994. It operates two main businesses: The Consumer Business sells flowers and gift items through its websites and The Floral Business sells computer services, software and even fresh cut flowers to FTD and Interflora affiliated florists.

Retail Florist Association (formerly Extra Touch Florist Association and FTD Association) is a trade association that originated as the member education, advocacy and quality assurance arm of FTD, breaking formal ties with FTD in 2001.

FTD processes orders through the Mercury Network, its international telecommunications service.

On August 18, 1910, at the Seneca Hotel in Rochester, New York at a Retail Delivery Association meeting, thirteen American florists led by John Valentine, a Denver lawyer and floral company owner agreed to serve each other's out-of-town customers by exchanging orders via telegraph. This group was called Florists' Telegraph Delivery. In 1914, the company adapted Mercury by sixteenth-century Flemish sculptor Giambologna for its Mercury Man corporate logo, to emphasize the speed of delivery. In 1965, it began offering international orders, and took the name of Florists' Transworld Delivery.

In 1994, FTD began a process of demutualization, acquiring control of the business, and ownership of its assets. On December 19, 1994, a precursor to the FTD Corporation, a private, for-profit company Perry Capital, acquired FTD, which then divided FTD into two organizations: FTD Incorporated, a for-profit corporation, and FTD Association, a non-profit trade association. FTD Incorporated retained FTD's businesses, including the Mercury Network and the clearinghouse, and controlled FTD Association's rules, regulations, and bylaws. The FTD Association retained member education, advocacy and quality assurance. In 2000, FTD Incorporated held an initial public offering of FTD.com on the NASDAQ. FTD Group was listed on the NYSE in 2005. The company is based in Downers Grove, Illinois.

In 2001, the FTD Association separated from FTD Incorporated, terminated all contracts, and, in exchange for $14 million, renamed itself Extra Touch Floral Association, and later, Retail Florist Association. It is based in Livonia, Michigan.

In 2008, United Online announced a merger agreement with FTD Group, valued at $800 million. The acquisition was completed and shares of FTD ceased to trade on the NYSE August 26, 2008.

In 2013, FTD is spun off from United Online resulting in FTD Companies, Inc. becoming an independent, publicly traded company listed on NASDAQ.

In July 2019, FTD's North American and Latin America consumer and florist businesses were purchased by Nexus Capital Management and thusly have become a privately owned company and no longer will be a publicly traded company.

In May 2023, FTD merged with From You Flowers, LLC. Michael Chapin, founder and CEO of From You Flowers, took over as CEO of the combined companies. From You Flowers, LLC does not have any retail locations and depend on florists within wire service networks to complete their orders. At the time of the merger From You Flowers, LLC held a 1 star rating across many platforms.

In 1994, FTD was acquired by Perry Capital Corporation from the florists and converted into a for-profit corporation. On July 31, 2006, FTD, Inc. announced its acquisition of Interflora Holdings, a UK-based sister co-operative that offered the FTD network in Britain and Ireland under the Interflora brand. "The acquisition, first announced on July 7th, 2006, was made for a purchase price of GBP 66 million, or approximately US$122 million, excluding transaction costs."

In 2012, Interflora acquired Flying Flowers, Flowers Direct and Drake Algar in the U.K.

In July 2019, FTD's North American and Latin America consumer and florist businesses were purchased by Nexus Capital Management and are now known as FTD LLC.

Fiscal year 2006 revenues grew 6.2% to $465.1 million, compared with revenues of $437.8 million for fiscal 2005. This revenue growth was driven by an 11.6% increase in revenue in the Consumer Segment.

The Mercury Network, the electronic network used by FTD, processes about fifteen million orders annually, through about 50,000 FTD affiliates in 154 countries, of which about 20,000 are in the United States and Canada.

On July 19, 2018, it was announced that CEO John Walden would be stepping down as the company began restructuring. Scott Levin took over as president and CEO.

In June 2019 FTD filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection while it restructures; all customer deliveries will continue in the meantime. The company said it has a tentative deal to sell its flower delivery business in North and South America to Nexus Capital. It has also received offers to buy two subsidiaries: Personal Creations and the candy delivery business Shari's Berries. Shari's Berries was acquired in 2019 by 1-800-Flowers.com.

In July 2019, the foregoing transactions were consummated for FTD's floral consumer businesses and FTD Companies became FTD LLC. with the purchase of FTD and ProFlowers by Nexus Capital Management.

In March 2020, Charlie Cole was named CEO.

FTD had obtained a near-monopoly position in its market. It has been sued several times by the United States Department of Justice to ensure it does not engage in non-competitive behavior, namely prohibiting members from affiliating with competing flowers-by-wire services. FTD entered into consent decrees with the Department of Justice after 1956, 1969, and 1990 suits. Florists' Transworld Delivery (FTD), sued its competitor ProFlowers for false advertising in August 2005. The suit focused on ProFlowers' claim to ship "direct from the fields" with "no middlemen". Stating that the lawsuit was "without merit", ProFlowers brought counterclaims against FTD. The lawsuit was settled a year later out of court.

How the gently caress did a florist become a telecommunications company, become a hedge fund (?)?

My best guess:

Floral Wire Service and Retailer (Early 20th Century):

Emergence of national markets facilitated by technological advances like the telegraph, which FTD used to establish a network of florists to deliver flowers across distances promptly. This era saw the growth of service-oriented businesses alongside industrial enterprises.

Retailers' Cooperative (Founded 1910, Demutualized 1994):

As a cooperative, FTD was owned and run by its members (florists) for mutual benefit, typical of early 20th-century cooperative movements seeking to protect small businesses and local industries from monopolies and larger competitors.

Demutualization and Acquisition by a Private Hedge Fund (1994):

Reflects the deregulation trends of the late 20th century, emphasizing privatization and the shift towards maximizing shareholder value. The transition from a cooperative to a private, for-profit entity underlines the financialization of the economy.

International Expansion and Use of a Global Telecommunications Network (Mid-20th Century Onwards):

Expansion beyond national borders, leveraging global telecommunications infrastructure to facilitate international business transactions.

Initial Public Offering and Listing on NASDAQ/NYSE (2000s):

Emphasizes the role of large corporate entities in shaping economic landscapes, utilizing stock markets for capital and public investments. This stage aligns with the growing influence of corporate governance and finance in the global economy.

Merger and Acquisition by United Online (2008), Spin-off and Later Transactions:

Characterized by the consolidation of businesses to form larger conglomerates, often driven by the search for synergies, cost reductions, and expanded market dominance. Complex financial strategies and restructuring efforts to boost profitability and shareholder returns.

Bankruptcy and Restructuring (2019), Acquisition by Nexus Capital:

Reflects the volatility of neoliberal market practices, where companies may undergo rapid expansion but also face significant challenges that lead to restructuring and bankruptcy. The involvement of private equity firms and hedge funds in restructuring reflects continued emphasis on asset optimization and financial engineering.

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 20:57 on May 10, 2024

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Schmeichy posted:

Because of TikTok, I know that the McDonald's dollar menu lives on in China

America has lost the mandate of burger

Apr 7, 2003

I looked at the little hamburger, they're $2.19 in the store and also $2.19 on the app.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bar Crow posted:

America has lost the mandate of burger

Mandate of hurling

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Mandel Brotset posted:

also because their society is run by communists
thinking about enron and the pg&e stock buybacks again for some reason

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://dallasexpress.com/business-markets/buy-now-pay-later-phantom-debt-mounting-wall-street-warns/

‘Buy Now, Pay Later’ Phantom Debt Mounting, Wall Street Warns

New purchasing options available to consumers are leading to short-term debt accumulation that Wall Street is struggling to track.

Retailers are increasingly offering “buy now, pay later” (BNPL) options. This short-term financing solution allows consumers to make a purchase immediately and pay for it in installments over time.

While the programs can vary, they are typically short-term in nature, with fixed payments and no interest. Commonly, the payment plan is divided over four periods, hence the nickname for the product: “pay in four.” The first payment is often due right away, with the three subsequent payments due every other week.

The actual magnitude of the short-term financing program is unclear but is likely substantial, according to one expert.

Tim Quinlan, a senior economist at Wells Fargo & Co., said the program is driving a growing “phantom debt” in the U.S. economy. This is largely because the major players in the space, Affirm Holdings Inc., Klarna Bank AB, and Block Inc.’s Afterpay, are not required to report BNPL loans to credit agencies.

Even without official figures, surveys of consumer usage point to a rising and largely untracked bucket of U.S. personal debt.

Last year, The Dallas Express reported that one in five Americans planned to use a BNPL payment plan to make purchases over the holiday season, according to a report by Adobe Analytics. In another survey, Bankrate found that 8% of respondents intended to use BNPL to finance holiday travel.

While the loans do not charge interest, consumers are still at risk of being hit with late fees for missed payments. Adobe Analytics estimates that in the first quarter of 2024, $19.2 billion was spent using BNPL, representing a more than 12% rise from the same quarter the previous year.

One estimate predicts that the opaque “buy now, pay later” market will reach nearly $700 billion globally by 2028. This could spell trouble, as a recent Harris Poll survey conducted for Bloomberg News found more than four out of 10 respondents who owe money to BNPL services were past due on payments.

The survey, conducted in April, found that dividing payments encourages consumers to overspend, with over half saying BNPL enabled them to buy more than they could afford.

For nearly a quarter of respondents, BNPL spending was deemed “out of control.”

Simon Khalaf, Chief Executive Officer of Marqeta Inc., a firm focused on assisting payment processing for BNPL providers, says the hidden debt may be so large that it could have broader economic implications.

“They’ve reached a certain scale that they could impact economists’ assumptions about their economic outlooks,” said Khalaf, per Bloomberg.

The major players in BNPL blame credit agencies for the lack of transparency, saying they cannot handle their information. They also claim disclosure could harm customer credit scores.

For their part, the big three credit bureaus say they are prepared to manage the financing details, and VantageScore Solutions and Fair Isaac Corp. (FICO) similarly say they are prepared to assess how BNPL products affect their credit scores.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/OQth13P.mp4

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

it’s not that bleak im already married

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

there is a "Deals" button, you are fake news

today is not the day the golden arches will fall. get his rear end!!!!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I tried to use the app to get cheaper McDonalds from the drive thru near my job however I also didn't see any deals the first time I tried it. Plus I got food poisoning from that McDonald's anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

Plus I got food poisoning from that McDonald's anyway
Skill issue