Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Neo Rasa posted:

Is it just most of Europe?

Them and Canada, basically the countries whose I/P boilerplate response is "two state solution" doing their usual "no, not like that".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/full-list-of-countries-who-voted-to-give-palestine-new-un-power/ar-BB1maGHb

quote:

9 countries voted against the resolution:

Argentina, Czech Republic, Hungary, Israel, Micronesia, United States, Papa New Guinea, Nauru, and Palau.
25 countries abstained from voting:

Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Fiji, Finland, Georgia, Germany, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malawi, Marshall Islands, Monaco, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Paraguay, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Vanuatu.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

death to all abstentions

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Israel is stealing eurovision and the participants have posted NOTHING but racist hate. They are a corrupt country through and through.

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

Nonsense posted:

Israel is stealing eurovision and the participants have posted NOTHING but racist hate. They are a corrupt country through and through.

Nine countries voted against the resolution Israel is a corrupt country through and through and 14 abstained.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Regarding that James Woods post: It's funny to go to see a net archive of the Running With Scissors website where they did a highlight on Corkum, and one of the comics being on how Bush betrayed plucky lil' Israel, being portrayed as a lil dork being hurled to the wolves.

On the comments someone posted about the Eurovision 2018 win being an example of this with an Ali Abunimah and let me tell you, when the results were in and This Won? Total, utter, silence on the streets. Other than the Israeli delegation, on the corner of Praca de Comercio. Just other countries fading away while a small white and blue circle surrounded by cameras were totally hyped up about it. I don't think I've ever seen energy straight up drained here so badly.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

DynamicSloth posted:

Them and Canada, basically the countries whose I/P boilerplate response is "two state solution" doing their usual "no, not like that".

https://twitter.com/melaniejoly/status/1788970067033481606?t=0VUk5rdb4WaSnoMmDNJ-sg&s=19

really feel like they're not putting in the effort with their gaslighting these days

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol I wish this was true.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Abu Ubiden

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

dieselfruit posted:

https://twitter.com/melaniejoly/status/1788970067033481606?t=0VUk5rdb4WaSnoMmDNJ-sg&s=19

really feel like they're not putting in the effort with their gaslighting these days

death to canada

usa 10th rate vassal rear end country

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Muhammad Ibiden

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

dieselfruit posted:

translation from pr: "we will do land acknowledgements in historic gaza"

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

The US does not believe that the IDF’s operation in Rafah during the last 24 hours amounts to a wide-scale military offensive, which President Joe Biden warned would lead him to halt offensive weapons shipments to Israel.

oh really?

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
https://twitter.com/CIJ_ICJ/status/1788974443936588141

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

HallelujahLee posted:

The US does not believe that the IDF’s operation in Rafah during the last 24 hours amounts to a wide-scale military offensive, which President Joe Biden warned would lead him to halt offensive weapons shipments to Israel.

oh really?

the goalposts are on wheels driven by a hot rod engine

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
so whats the significance of this UN vote

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

what does this mean

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

lol hamas just launched long range rockets at Ber Sheva, even after all this time. 220 days and the rockets are still coming

====

Israeli media: Hamas fired 15 rockets at Beersheba today

Israel Broadcasting Corporation reported that 15 rockets from Rafah were fired today on Beersheba and its surroundings.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...604;&%231610;-2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HallelujahLee posted:

oh really?

Going exactly how I thought it would. Biden lays out a red line, and then pretends the red line is never crossed. No surprises. Even if the red line is crossed, Bidens decision making is based entirely on what Israel tells him, and he takes all of it at face value, so Israel just needs to lie.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

so whats the significance of this UN vote

That the us and israel basically stand alone

Practically not much the us already said they will veto

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Going exactly how I thought it would. Biden lays out a red line, and then pretends the red line is never crossed. No surprises. Even if the red line is crossed, Bidens decision making is based entirely on what Israel tells him, and he takes all of it at face value, so Israel just needs to lie.

It’s a pr stunt that backfired like every other

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Really fascinating article here about Jewishness in Germany

https://thebaffler.com/latest/how-german-isnt-it-cocotas

Lots of good poo poo here

quote:

Far from an aberration, the revelation of Wolff’s fabricated Jewish identity turns out to be something of a German tradition. Not a year seems to pass without a scandal involving the identity of a prominent German Jew.

Prior to Wolff, the most notorious case was that of Marie Sophie Hingst, a popular writer and historian. Her memoiristic blog reportedly had a quarter-million regular readers. Hingst wrote that her grandparents commemorated Kristallnacht by stopping the clocks and waiting for lost relatives to return in the gathering darkness. Her grandmother, she claimed, held summer garden parties for Holocaust survivors with cake and powerful speeches. In 2019, Der Spiegel published an article revealing that Hingst had invented twenty-two Holocaust victims and submitted false paperwork to Yad Vashem to bolster her assumed identity. There was no Jewish grandmother, no Jewish family. She killed herself shortly after the revelations came out.

quote:

In 2022, a Jewish-born cantor—what in German might be called a Biojüdin—lost her job at a Berlin synagogue after speaking out against the influence of converts in German Jewish life. One German Jewish historian, Barbara Steiner, has written a book about the phenomenon and history of Germans converting to Judaism. She finds, perhaps unsurprisingly, that the primary motivations for most converts are manifestations of guilt in one guise or another. Steiner elsewhere characterized Fabian Wolff as an antisemite who assumed his identity with the express purpose of criticizing Israel. She, too, is a convert.

And the bit that set my mind reeling:

quote:

Some years ago, a friend of mine was invited to a Shabbat dinner. The attendees all gave the appearance of being religiously observant. They knew the hymns, the men wore kippot, one even had payot. The hosts insisted that my friend recite the various blessings. Through a chance comment during dinner, he discovered he was the only Jew in attendance. They were Germans who enjoyed enacting Jewish rituals, and wanted a Jew to unwittingly give his blessing.

also I had no idea the figure was this high

quote:

Since October 7, German arms shipments to Israel have risen so substantially that the total for 2023 represented a ten-fold increase from the previous year, and now account for 30 percent of Israeli arms imports (another report puts it as high as 47 percent).

John Charity Spring has issued a correction as of 20:17 on May 10, 2024

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

John Charity Spring posted:

utterly insane, but is this one reason they’re so desperate to keep the Ashkenazi / whiteness predominance going? because it’s more difficult to pretend to be jewish if they’re mizrahi?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

what does this mean

I think that it's just Libya joining the case alongside South Africa?

It seems like Libya is saying that they think that Israel is committing a genocide in Gaza, and they're choosing to be bound by whatever the court ends up ruling?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

they're like one step away from going full Gallagher at that podium

This watermelon...is Khamas!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Gonna do this to my [not complicit in genocide fast food joint] receipt next time they forget my straw

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

people cosplaying as jews ? What in the gently caress

Morbus
May 18, 2004

al-Malarki

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

lmao

quote:

Not everything is as it seems in Germany. That tree? It used to be a Jew. That building was once a Jew. That streetlamp was a Jew. And the Jews? It seems they’re all Germans.

German is a very versatile language it seems

quote:

Alibijude: an alibi Jew, one who provides cover for antisemitic (or anti-Israel) rhetoric

Berufsjude: a professional Jew, a Jew by profession

Faschingsjude: a carnival Jew

Großvaterjude: someone who has one Jewish grandfather

Kostümjude: a costume Jew

Kronzeugejude: a key witness Jew, providing testimony for antisemitic (or anti-Israel) rhetoric

Meinungsjude: An opinion Jew? Or a Jew by opinion??

Modejude: A fashion Jew??? Or fashionably Jewish????

Schmusejude: a cuddly Jew, one who presumably cuddles up with Germans

Vaterjude: someone who has a Jewish father

Vorzeigejude: a model Jew

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 20:38 on May 10, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Man this does line up with our convos here regarding the instrumentalism of the Holocaust and Israel to offload Jewish people there as an always other along with any guilt for past and future oppression

quote:

A prominent German journalist published an article with the title: “The Jews or Aggro-Arabs: we have to decide who we want to keep.”

quote:

The television journalist Lea Rosh was the public face and most vocal proponent of the campaign to build Berlin’s Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. Rosh has cultivated a Jewish aura—a Scheinbarjüdin, perhaps. “I don’t look so Aryan,” she once enthused during an interview. Rosh changed her name from Edith to Lea, and unsuccessfully sued the (Jewish) author Ruth Gay for writing that she had done so to sound more Jewish. She once fiercely rejected a proposal to place the Holocaust memorial across from the Reichstag: “Did the ‘German people’ murder the Jews? Hardly.”

quote:

Germans don’t really know what to do with American Jews, who, like one of those mysterious subatomic particles, seem to be American one second and Jewish the next. When a former neighbor found out I was Jewish, he felt the need to tell me that he loved hummus. A tree is a tree.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

HallelujahLee posted:

oh really?

Super convenient that it just happened to work out that way!

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
you left out

wasserjude

windjude

feuerjude

erdejude

and

herzjude

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

OctaMurk posted:

people cosplaying as jews ? What in the gently caress

" Tempest over a Colorado Springs synagogue's Chabad validity posted:

Chabad is popular in part because it’s open to all Jews, regardless of their affiliations or ties, their level of practice or observance, or their education in the faith, say religious leaders.

Chabad has grown to become the largest Jewish organization in the world, providing educational, religious and humanitarian outreach through its network of 5,700 appointed family or couple emissaries.

Vituk and his wife, Chaya, are not among them.
“Chabad-Lubavitch has a 250-year history and is well defined, with more than 10,000 representatives, all of them appointed by Chabad, in every state in America and in more than 100 countries, which is likewise clearly defined,” Seligson said. “Those are the facts no matter what some guy in Colorado says.”

Chabad is not a trademarked word, Vituk said, which enables his synagogue and others to use it.
“It's very simple,” Seligson said. “Just as one is not the United States ambassador to London because they decided they are, one is not a Chabad rabbi or representative of Chabad just because they declare themselves so.”

Vituk believes competition is at the heart of the disagreement.

deciding to become "jewish" but forgetting that theres actual rules you have to follow and judaism isnt just a new set of vibes is a proud western tradition.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hauptmann planet

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Morbus posted:

al-Malarki

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Edit: More 🍔 bait

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Alchemist posted:

But did Frank Roosevelt continuously give speeches how "United States is supporting Nazi Germany's Final Solution, because HamasThe jewish bolsheviks need to be stopped?"

...Im not that surprised if he actually did

Maybe to his donors.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Morbus posted:

al-Malarki

Lmao

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Shageletic posted:

A prominent German journalist published an article with the title: “The Jews or Aggro-Arabs: we have to decide who we want to keep.”

oh man i always wanted to challenge GUTS and get a piece of the aggroarab to take home

these people are batshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

lol hamas just launched long range rockets at Ber Sheva, even after all this time. 220 days and the rockets are still coming

====

Israeli media: Hamas fired 15 rockets at Beersheba today

Israel Broadcasting Corporation reported that 15 rockets from Rafah were fired today on Beersheba and its surroundings.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...604;&%231610;-2

i love how they're able to cause financial problems for israel simply by firing the rockets and having them land places even if they're not hitting anything particularly important