Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
When people see IX they fall into two camps. Self-Annihilators who basically become depressed after seeing all encompassing nihility and slowly devolve into nothingness or Doctors of Chaos who take it upon themselves to try and save IX by proving to it that there is value in existence by trying to cure Self-Annihilators. Which is pointless of course and also why Doctors of Chaos are on the path of Nihility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Meowywitch posted:

Everything really came together in the end. That last hour or two was magnifique :)

I also think after everything is said and done, I am gonna pull for Robin! She's lucky, this is absolutely unprecedented behavior from me.

Plus Harmonies are the strongest, as we all know, and I just might regret not rolling for Sparkle. Maybe.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 10, 2024

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like how IX looks, just a blobby black hole sitting there

Daner T
Dec 24, 2004
Robin, Ruan Mei, Hatblazer, and Gallagher is kind of funny if you use their techniques before a battle the enemies just instantly die for all the break damage

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Eej posted:

When people see IX they fall into two camps. Self-Annihilators who basically become depressed after seeing all encompassing nihility and slowly devolve into nothingness or Doctors of Chaos who take it upon themselves to try and save IX by proving to it that there is value in existence by trying to cure Self-Annihilators. Which is pointless of course and also why Doctors of Chaos are on the path of Nihility.

which is why ratio being a history fictionoligist theory is such a strange and bonkers thing to think imo. between that and being a doctor of chaos, the latter makes sense with the least amount of stretches to his character — just a stretch of his path, which has at least already happened with other characters

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
So uh, at least as of a couple months ago the leaks subreddit seemed pretty confident that Sunday will be playable. How's that supposed to work?

Eej posted:

This is just Welt Sustain but slower cause Robin isn't doing anything extra for BE tho

I didn't mean to imply that Robin or Harmblazer enabled Welt sustain. I meant "here's another Harmblazer-enabled DPS Robin team, that also just happened to use Welt as its sustain option". Gallagher is probably better overall, though off-element for this particular fight.

The point is, don't pay attention to the Welt sustain. Who's actually awesome is Harmblazer and uh I guess Robin is pretty cool too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Don't we already know that Ratio is Intelligensia Guild? Why are we speculating on him having a secret different path? Did I miss something?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

facepalmolive posted:

So uh, at least as of a couple months ago the leaks subreddit seemed pretty confident that Sunday will be playable. How's that supposed to work?

The same way Gallagher, Tingyun, and Misha are still playable despite being dead I would assume

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I should've watched Robin's trailer earlier, look at this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I was being tongue in cheek. Not sure where Ratio being a history fictionologist came from.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

facepalmolive posted:

Well if you do Robin's post story quest she's pretty confident he's still alive.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I find it funny that youtube's autogeneration thing has accidentally assigned the Star Rail songs featuring Robin to some unrelated artist named Robin.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Does the spoiler crew know where we are going after Penacony?

2.2 ending discussion: All four of those proposed places sounded great to me and I'm disappointed they won't do a patch or two at each which would be trivial with Star Rail's engine. They don't have to do the full planet per year every time unlike Genshin with the persistent open world map. Do one where we stop off at a train wash but spend a bit of budget and let us explore it for a 2 hour quest. e: Do another one where we take March 7th to Space McDonalds and run into the Stellaron Hunters at the playground.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

I was being tongue in cheek. Not sure where Ratio being a history fictionologist came from.

some harebrained posts that took off over the death/dormancy note to aventurine. this ties back to history fictionoligists because ???? i haven’t seen anyone make it make sense yet

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I got Robin and I still got 5000 gems :cool:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bagrada posted:

2.2 ending discussion: All four of those proposed places sounded great to me and I'm disappointed they won't do a patch or two at each which would be trivial with Star Rail's engine. They don't have to do the full planet per year every time unlike Genshin with the persistent open world map. Do one where we stop off at a train wash but spend a bit of budget and let us explore it for a 2 hour quest. e: Do another one where we take March 7th to Space McDonalds and run into the Stellaron Hunters at the playground.

designing entirely new background assets and worlds would not actually be trivial

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Eimi posted:

The Genshin discord has a lively section for Star Rail discussion https://discord.gg/Dxbk6ZTB2X

Yep, I knew about that and already hang there; I was just wondering if a dedicated thing had sprung up in the meantime that I'd missed. Thank you, though!

Meowywitch posted:

I should've watched Robin's trailer earlier, look at this

I want Robin Rocker to be a thing so badly. Please let my cute idol singer shred mad riffs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It would cost a whole lot more money and labor to do multiple bite-size areas that we show up and explore for a couple hours and then leave than it does to do yearly full planet updates.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

designing entirely new background assets and worlds would not actually be trivial

I wouldn't say it's trivial, but designing a single zone that's unconnected to any other zone seems only slightly more difficult than designing a zone connected to a world? Like, you wouldn't have the shared design language of a planet to guide you, but that also gives you more freedom to do whatever you want? Especially if you can reuse enemies like the generic IPC soldiers or whatever.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 10, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

I wouldn't say it's trivial, but designing a single zone that's unconnected to any other zone seems only slightly more difficult than designing a zone connected to a world? Like, you wouldn't have the shared design language of a planet to guide you, but that also gives you more freedom to do whatever you want? Especially if you can reuse enemies like the generic IPC soldiers or whatever.

There's a huge cost benefit in creating a set of defined assets that you can pull from to craft multiple areas which goes out the window once you start making singular zones, assuming you want each of those zones to be visually distinct because they're from different planets.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm having a hard time picking who to pull for next. Maybe I'll just save and wait for reruns sunday announcement

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kanos posted:

There's a huge cost benefit in creating a set of defined assets that you can pull from to craft multiple areas which goes out the window once you start making singular zones, assuming you want each of those zones to be visually distinct because they're from different planets.

How many assets are actually shared between, say, the Grand Theater and the new little town area? I honestly don't know. At a glance they look fairly different and go for a very different vibe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

How many assets are actually shared between, say, the Grand Theater and the new little town area? I honestly don't know.
a lot of the basic building blocks if you actually look at like, the textures and stuff. plus theres the penacony enemies, stuff like the treasure chests, etc. and all the worlds have their own puzzle/sidequest gimmicks so theyd need to come up with multiple new ones.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, if you're doing like a road trip arc, you can come up with some shared treasure box art and gas station textures, even if the locations are geographically separate. Just say they're all IPC outposts or something. Just saying that they don't literally have to design things based on "planets" given that there's no world map and each area is a separate instance with a loading screen anyway.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm finally right about to hit 300 pulls on the Standard banner, thanks to leveling up all my characters a bunch.

I have to pick between Clara E1 or Bronya E2. Just curious which one people think is the better value, assuming both of them see use on my teams occasionally.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

I mean, if you're doing like a road trip arc, you can come up with some shared treasure box art and gas station textures, even if the locations are geographically separate. Just say they're all IPC outposts or something. Just saying that they don't literally have to design things based on "planets" given that there's no world map and each area is a separate instance with a loading screen anyway.

Is there a lot of inherent value to going on a roadtrip to see new places if you're just punching reused IPC villains and doing the same puzzles for an hour at each stop?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

clara e1, 100%. its like a 40-50% damage increase in pure fiction. bronya e2 can actually gently caress up your speed tuning.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kanos posted:

Is there a lot of inherent value to going on a roadtrip to see new places if you're just punching reused IPC villains and doing the same puzzles for an hour at each stop?

Presumably this isn't replacing a new world, but rather replacing the in between bits like revisiting Herta Space Station with Ruan Mei. It just gives them more freedom to introduce characters like Argenti who are unconnected to any world without having his entire quest take place on the train, I guess. Theoretically.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wasn't interested in Robin at all but now that I'm looking at the Ratio + Topaz + Aventurine team she seems kind of fun...

Think I'm going to stay the course though, wanna save up extra hard incase Firefly Eidolons are worthwhile like Archeron's were.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 10, 2024

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I guess if it made sense for them they'd be doing it already. I'm sure there's a reason they go low budget on the side stories like Argenti's and reuse a ton of assets and outfits. It's easier for them to put their budget into marketing and the animated videos instead of going "wider" on the gameplay art, especially with mobile and console gamers in mind. And even the AAA games with multiple worlds that inspired my thought, like the Mass Effects and Star Wars, reused the same assets everywhere to a huge degree outside of certain set pieces. Sorry not sure that discussion actually needed to be spoilered at this point but better safe than sorry.

Actual 2.2 spoilers While watching Acheron's scenes, I didn't even mind how static the art was with how great the voices were but it really made me wish we could get someone like Tiernan as a character. Older large samurai dude with a great voice. If they were so inclined they could release all the older and deceased trailblazers at some point, either as their younger or older selves. None of the gacha characters are in your group canonically, aside from hanging out for a few scenes. I know that's not how mihoyo rolls though and they'd rather spend their budget on the awesome ability fx than using nonstandard character models and body animations so far. Again possibly with mobile in mind.
Gotta be tough and I'm grateful I can load the game up on my phone for dailies on the go when I'm too busy or not at home.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Leaks subreddit seems to think 3.x will take place on Dr. Ratio's homeworld. As a massive Romeaboo I desperately hope this is correct because an entire roster of Greco-Roman themed characters would be insane.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eimi posted:

Leaks subreddit seems to think 3.x will take place on Dr. Ratio's homeworld. As a massive Romeaboo I desperately hope this is correct because an entire roster of Greco-Roman themed characters would be insane.

That's just the latest Genshin patch zone

bagrada posted:

I guess if it made sense for them they'd be doing it already. I'm sure there's a reason they go low budget on the side stories like Argenti's and reuse a ton of assets and outfits. It's easier for them to put their budget into marketing and the animated videos instead of going "wider" on the gameplay art, especially with mobile and console gamers in mind. And even the AAA games with multiple worlds that inspired my thought, like the Mass Effects and Star Wars, reused the same assets everywhere to a huge degree outside of certain set pieces. Sorry not sure that discussion actually needed to be spoilered at this point but better safe than sorry.

Actual 2.2 spoilers While watching Acheron's scenes, I didn't even mind how static the art was with how great the voices were but it really made me wish we could get someone like Tiernan as a character. Older large samurai dude with a great voice. If they were so inclined they could release all the older and deceased trailblazers at some point, either as their younger or older selves. None of the gacha characters are in your group canonically, aside from hanging out for a few scenes. I know that's not how mihoyo rolls though and they'd rather spend their budget on the awesome ability fx than using nonstandard character models and body animations so far.

Tiernan isn't a samurai though, he's a gunslinger. He just looks like a crusty old samurai cause he's been rotting away on that planet watching over his buddies so he looks like a bum.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Eej posted:

That's just the latest Genshin patch zone

Yeah first time in a while I 100%d a new patch area day of.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

bagrada posted:

First back to Xianzhou then to somewhere "ancient rome themed" according to some random leaker I saw on discord

I have some thoughts on the storyline ending relating to my earlier shitpost about Penacony being a metafiction commentary on gacha games. Ending and some side quest spoilers abound:

For writers, it's low hanging fruit for a storyline about living in a dreamworld to have metatextual commentary on itself as a story. Penacony goes beyond that though in a couple ways that jumped out at me.

1. The emphasis on money and gambling in the Golden Hour, including a gigantic gacha machine, as well as the gacha machine enemies later on.

2. The Dreamweaver storylines can be 1:1 transposed to stories about game devs(specifically the artists, coders, level designers etc that actually make the game). The side quest about the 5 original Dreamweavers tells a story about one dude going off to start his own indie studio and the drama/hardship that brings to his personal and professional life.

This text when you try to leave the boundaries of a play zone is really on the nose: . Keep paying us and we'll keep making the game!

3. The dreamers are the players of the game, and there is a lot of stuff there to explore. Some players/dreamers are just look for a bit of relaxation and fun before returning to their lives. A little escapism can be a healthy coping mechanism for the harsh realities of life. Some people are looking for or running from specific experiences or emotions. And some have a destructive relationship with the game/dream which ruins their lives. What about the dark secret of Penacony? Oh yes, the stellaron which is constantly consuming a small number of people's lives to sustain the dream. And what is the dark side of gacha game economics? It's the population of players which whale, or spend irresponsibly causing real harm to their lives.

I could go one, but I feel like those three points are the strongest connections and I'm wondering if anyone else noticed this stuff. Some questions I have:

*Where did Firefly go at the end, and at what point in the story did she realize she was still in a dream? Have we seen her other 2 deaths? Did one happen offscreen? (as I type this I guess they are saving the resolution to this stuff for her banner)

*What is UP with all the Roman Catholic stuff in Sunday's backstory? The confessional scene(I was raised catholic and this literally gave me flashbacks), the relationship between the merchant in the confessional and Sunday was quite reminiscent of the concept of indulgences, the Latin song names, the idea of a dead god coming back to life(not specific to catholicism but it's there), the strong emphasis on faith giving one strength, Sunday's assertion that people cannot save themselves and can only be saved by a god, his loving name lol, Sunday as a christ figure sacrificing himself to save everyone else(from his perspective)

*Why did Sparkles bombs not go off?

*What's the significance of the dreamasters birds all dying? did he die? why?

*Someone please explain to me what explicitly is the Child's Dream.

*By what mechanism did the Penacony residents "save themselves"? Seems like we just beat the end boss with the offscreen help of some Galaxy Rangers and that was that

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

The same way Gallagher, Tingyun, and Misha are still playable despite being dead I would assume

Between the NPCs who mention he's been taken into custody, and the 4* LC next patch with him on it that takes place post-2.2 (by the narration), I'd say he's alive.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I could go one, but I feel like those three points are the strongest connections and I'm wondering if anyone else noticed this stuff. Some questions I have:

*Where did Firefly go at the end, and at what point in the story did she realize she was still in a dream? Have we seen her other 2 deaths? Did one happen offscreen? (as I type this I guess they are saving the resolution to this stuff for her banner)

*What is UP with all the Roman Catholic stuff in Sunday's backstory? The confessional scene(I was raised catholic and this literally gave me flashbacks), the relationship between the merchant in the confessional and Sunday was quite reminiscent of the concept of indulgences, the Latin song names, the idea of a dead god coming back to life(not specific to catholicism but it's there), the strong emphasis on faith giving one strength, Sunday's assertion that people cannot save themselves and can only be saved by a god, his loving name lol, Sunday as a christ figure sacrificing himself to save everyone else(from his perspective)

*Why did Sparkles bombs not go off?

*What's the significance of the dreamasters birds all dying? did he die? why?

*Someone please explain to me what explicitly is the Child's Dream.

*By what mechanism did the Penacony residents "save themselves"? Seems like we just beat the end boss with the offscreen help of some Galaxy Rangers and that was that

Firefly died to get out of the dream because she's a stowaway and accessing it from outside the hotel and the normal route to waking up is cut off. We'll probably see something about it next patch.

Not sure on the Catholic stuff, could just be "coolest evil religion vibes" for their organized religion story or could be something deeper considering every major Penacony character is apparently inspired by something in English literature

Sparkle's bomb didn't go off cause the Charmony Festival didn't happen, everyone including her went to sleep when you lost the fight so no one was awake to press the button

Misha is a memetic creation of Mikhail meant to guide Trailblazers to the truth of Penacony, the Child's Dream (his home) was inside the memory bubble that Mikhail was holding but for whatever reason it emptied out into the Dreamscape and that's how Misha and his home connected to the Dreamscape.

The Galaxy Rangers used their stubborn justice brains to introduce discord into the dream to weaken it and then Acheron swung her sword and deleted the dream, forcing all the dreamers to "Save themselves" by waking up.

E: The ravens all flopping to the ground just means the Dream Master disconnected from the Dreamscape I think. Future baddie I suppose.

Eej fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 10, 2024

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Regarding Sunday: there's a poem in Dreamflux Reef that's about the author addressing Sunday and awaiting his arrival after his ambitions in 2.2 shattered.

A theory I like is that the author, Cecil, is actually Elio and Sunday is being set up to become a new Stellaron Hunter.

To go into a bit more detail, (Ghost Trick spoilers) people think the name Cecil is a reference to Sissel, the black cat from Ghost Trick, and black cats seem to be associated with Elio.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CandyCrazy posted:

To go into a bit more detail, (Ghost Trick spoilers) people think the name Cecil is a reference to Sissel, the black cat from Ghost Trick, and black cats seem to be associated with Elio.

That's really, really dumb.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Eej posted:

The Galaxy Rangers used their stubborn justice brains to introduce discord into the dream to weaken it and then Acheron swung her sword and deleted the dream, forcing all the dreamers to "Save themselves" by waking up.

What I understood from that scene was that Acheron did a big aoe anime attack temporarily destroying the contents of the dream but I'd bet it didn't effect the dream itself. The actual purpose of the attack was to stimulate the survival instincts of the dreamers to temporarily override their desire for escapism. If she could just destroy the dream itself she wouldn't need the galaxy rangers to disrupt the consensus of the dreamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Eej posted:

E: [spoiler]The ravens all flopping to the ground just means the Dream Master disconnected from the Dreamscape I think. Future baddie I suppose.

yeah im definitely expecting some followup to the guy named Gopherwood associated with ravens and doves, since we had all the metaphorical/literal talk about oceans and finding land lol