Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I hereby banish this derail, by the power of the almighty snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Mord are you the gf's mom or something? This is an insane position to take.

I'm just of the opinion that if you offer to help out and someone asks you to bring something... you bring what they ask. If they ask for Coke, don't bring Kroger Cola or whatever the store brand is called. If someone asks for Doritos, don't bring Great Value Nacho Cheese Tortilla Chips.

I understand that you, Hellblazer187, do not feel there is a difference between Cool Whip and store brand whipped topping. But this is not for your party that you are hosting. If you are a guest and someone asks you to bring something and asks by the specific name, you bring that specific name unless you check with that other person before hand.

Should she have been rude and passive aggressive about it? Absolutely not. Is she allowed to feel like he disappointed her? Absolutely. It was his laziness that caused this to be a problem in the first place. This is why everyone sucks in this situation.

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

by Pragmatica

AceClown posted:

do you have this in the US?

I don't like the color of that it reminds me of things

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hereby banish this derail, by the power of the almighty snipe

Thank you.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

AceClown posted:

I've not seen it, but I do like Zingy food, maybe you could send me some.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

AITA for refusing to pay "my fair share"?

quote:

My (34m) SIL (35F) has a family media streaming service, which she allows myself and my wife (28F), her parents, and her friend (S) to use. As a result, she has the £110 annual plan, and is asking us to pay half.

I'm against paying half because S has a profile. I don't mind subsidising their parents, because I get on well with them, but SIL claims that the account for S was a present.

I've argued that there is no way I should be subsidising gifts for SIL's friends, and that should be their cost, but SIL says "I'd benefit from the account even if she didn't have one" so should "pay my fair share".

AITA for refusing to pay half the subscription cost?

:Edit to clarify: I'm not refusing to pay at all. I'm more than happy to pay "my" fair share - £35 - I object to paying the extra £20 to subsidise a gift to a friend (which was now "given" almost two years ago). Apologies for not making that clear initially.

:Edit: I am reading all comments, and understand all the YTA feedback. I do get the point of picking battles and "it's only £20". Unfortunately, I just had to buy new tyres for my car, which also has its MOT due this month. Vis a vis picking battles, SIL frequently causes issues in the family with her penny pinching. She goes through receipts on holiday, itemises everything and works out how much people had to make sure they pay her back their fare share to the penny. If you round it up, she'll pay you money back so she "doesn't owe you anything", whereas my wife and I happily pay for whole shops and don't ask for anything, despite being the lowest earners (and lowest-earning couple) in the family. It has now been paid, in full, but I'm not happy about it. I was thinking about coming off the subscription as is because we barely use it, so wouldn't have it myself, but thank you to all who have responded, and those who still will. I appreciate all the feedback.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Kurieg posted:

AITA for making my parents replace my "toys" they decided to give away.

Not a cool uncle

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

AceClown posted:

No, but they put it on every salad I ate in Thailand and it was nasty as gently caress. Nothing fucks up a plate of mixed greens quite like a big ol' bottle of sweet, jizzy mayonnaise. Barf.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Modal Auxiliary posted:

No, but they put it on every salad I ate in Thailand and it was nasty as gently caress. Nothing fucks up a plate of mixed greens quite like a big ol' bottle of sweet, jizzy mayonnaise. Barf.

lol why do you go to Thailand and eat at non-authentic thai restaurants? That poo poo is only served in buffets and mock-western type places.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AcidCat posted:

I've not seen it, but I do like Zingy food, maybe you could send me some.

it's just mayo, cut with vinegar and a la croix amount of english mustard , pretty trivial to make to be fair

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

Mordiceius posted:

He also specifically waited until the day of and tried to grab it 20 minutes before heading over there. Yeah, I feel like girlfriend's mom overreacted. But also from her POV, it could be the situation where she had spent a lot of time prepping items for this get together and daughters boyfriend who asked to help was given a single item to bring and he didn't even bring what he was asked.

Honestly, I agree with you, it was wildly irresponsible for him to expect to just walk into a grocery store and find CoolWhip. Found this posted in the Nextdoor thread, shits wild out there.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Cool Whip talk reminds me of the time I asked a friend to bring orange juice to a party and he brought Sunny D. I learned he wasn't a load-bearing friend in terms of requests that day.

He actually said it tastes the same.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
https://www.thekraftgroup.com/kraftphilanthropy/israel/
:barf:

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I feel like planning to pick up Cool Whip on the way to the event is reasonable. It's not something I use, but I wouldn't have expected it to sell out like, idk, those little packages of cilantro.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The Alchemist posted:

lol why do you go to Thailand and eat at non-authentic thai restaurants? That poo poo is only served in buffets and mock-western type places.

I lived there for two years and worked tons of multi-day ESL camps. They usually served food buffet/family style at these events and there was always "salad" on the menu. It might not be authentic, but goddamn is it ubiquitous.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Cliff posted:

Cool Whip talk reminds me of the time I asked a friend to bring orange juice to a party and he brought Sunny D. I learned he wasn't a load-bearing friend in terms of requests that day.

what the gently caress

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I lived there for two years and worked tons of multi-day ESL camps. They usually served food buffet/family style at these events and there was always "salad" on the menu. It might not be authentic, but goddamn is it ubiquitous.

Yeah that makes sense. I think last time I ate salad with that kind of dressing was at a funeral that I guess the monastery paid because the dude wasn't very well off

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Mordiceius posted:

He also specifically waited until the day of and tried to grab it 20 minutes before heading over there. Yeah, I feel like girlfriend's mom overreacted. But also from her POV, it could be the situation where she had spent a lot of time prepping items for this get together and daughters boyfriend who asked to help was given a single item to bring and he didn't even bring what he was asked.

Yeah, normal people who are going to grab one under $5 perishable item for a party should definitely not just stop at the grocery store on the way to the event, but should buy it well in advance in case the store is out. And definitely shouldn't just grab a different brand if the name brand is out. Uptight people getting worked up over store brand whipped topping or the idea of someone grabbing Pepsi instead of regular Coca-Cola brand cola if they say "coke" are hilarious to me.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Cliff posted:

I'd rather have the purple stuff.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Yeah, normal people who are going to grab one under $5 perishable item for a party should definitely not just stop at the grocery store on the way to the event, but should buy it well in advance in case the store is out. And definitely shouldn't just grab a different brand if the name brand is out. Uptight people getting worked up over store brand whipped topping or the idea of someone grabbing Pepsi instead of regular Coca-Cola brand cola if they say "coke" are hilarious to me.

If you're offering to bring something, you bring what the person asked. If you're just going to go "ehhhh good enough, it's not what they asked for but it's close" then you shouldn't offer to bring something in the first place. He didn't need to offer to bring the item. But he did, and then he didn't bring the item that was requested. Sure, it was only a $5 item. Yeah, it sucks the store was out. While at the store, he could have texted girlfriend and asked "is store brand okay?" There are so many paths that could have been taken so this situation could have been avoided. He took none of them. While it wasn't important to him, it was important to the host.

I will die on the hill that if you offer to help a host by bringing an item, you bring the item that is requested unless you check.

Let's have some content:

I (29F) have been having sex with my neighbor (32M) for the last year. I have no interest in a relationship, but I am petrified of leaving our situation because I am afraid I will never find another man who sexually satisfies me.

quote:

Obviously very nsfw below.

Some history here I guess. I have had 4 relationships and have had sex with 11 different men in my past. One of the relationships lasted for 5 years, from ages 21 to 26. For all of the 11 men, none have been able to bring me to orgasm through sex. I am not sure why but I have always been very difficult to please in that regard compared to other women, and I have spent most of my life faking pleasure from sex. I had spent lots and lots of time trying to teach men how to get me off, and there has never been much improvement. It is not as if I have a low sex drive or that I am depressed or anything like that, I have always figured it is just an inherent problem with me. The doctors I have talked to about this just say that all women have a wide variation in terms of how easily we take pleasure from sex and how easily we orgasm, none have had a real solution.

My neighbor, 4 houses down, is a divorced guy who moved here from Lebanon a few years ago. I was immediately attracted to him, he was a good looking and had a pretty good body. We began a bit of a friendship at first, starting at a block party. I liked him, but he was also a bit dull and was more interested in video games, eating junk food, smoking weed, and lifting weights more than anything I was interested in. We ended up having sex one night and... it was unbelievable. I had my first orgasm through just normal sex. I was in tears at this, I thought I could never find this. I don't even fully understand what he did differently in terms of sex, and I still don't to this day. He has only ever had sex with 3 people in his life, I have no clue where he learned these things. I decided not to tell him this, I thought it was a bit embarrassing. But we continued to have sex quite a bit.

It was like some kind of cloud was lifted. Having very regular pleasurable sex was like the greatest happy-pill I could ever receive. I genuinely felt happy, every single day. I wasn't depressed before, but something was clearly missing, and it turns out what was missing was sex.

But months and months have gone by now. I think its been around 10-11 months. We have sex pretty regularly. It has never declined in quality. We have a very joking relationship with each other and are good friends, but I think we both know we are not right for each other at all relationship-wise. I don't mean to disparage him, but to be perfectly honest, he is a bit of a dumb, guy. I am sometimes a bit bewildered at how little he knows of the world in general. He thought pizza was from mexico. There is no hope for a relationship between us, and we both know that, we have discussed it (I didn't call him/imply he was dumb during the discussion lol). He has no idea how important he is to me. I have always kept this secret from him, that he is the only man to give me an orgasm.

But now I am afraid. I want a relationship. I want to eventually get married and have children. Yet the thought of not having him... it genuinely scares me. The chances that I find another man who can sexually please me AND be a good partner is just too low. I know me, I know I will just settle on a good man who doesn't sexually please me.

some part of me wishes I never found him. Because now I know i will basically always miss this. I am scared that I will end up in a relationship and end it just to go back to him because of how much I will miss the sex. And it sucks, because for so long I have convinced myself that sex isn't important, it isn't everything etc. And now I feel almost dumb for feeling that way. It isn't everything, but it is extremely important.

What the hell do I do? I cant just stay like this with him indefinitely (although im sure he would love that lol).

Tl;DR - - I have been unable to achieve sexual pleasure from men my whole life, and I found a man who can give me it but I dont want a relationship with him. I am scared I am going to be stuck with him, unable to leave because I am scared that I will never be sexually satisfied ever again.

Redditor posted:

He's good for your hole but is he good for your soul, sis?

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

the idea of someone grabbing Pepsi instead of regular Coca-Cola brand cola if they say "coke" are hilarious to me.

There are plenty of terrible places in the US where people say 'coke' and mean any soda pop.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

And while we're on the subject -

Did you/Do you think I will regret getting head? (first time)

quote:

This is a genuine question.
For context: My girlfriend (F18) asked one time if I (M19) wanted to get head. She definitely wants to go to the next level in the relationship, but I'm really not sure if I'm comfortable with it. I've always "shunned" the idea of having sex or getting head, and when she suggested it I had a gut "uncomfortable" reaction. However, I'm worried that she sees it as the only way to progress the relationship, and that if I don't she might break up with me (I haven't asked her, I don't know if she was just curious if I wanted to or not).
TL;DR: In your guys' experiences, do you regret your first time? Do you wish that you could take it back for whatever reason?
(Also, wondering if there are better subreddits to post this to).

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Tnuctip posted:

Dukes is maybe slightly better than Kraft, neither of which hold a candle to the best big brand Hellman’s.

Bring out the Best Foods and bring out the best!

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Mordiceius posted:

I will die on the hill that if you offer to help a host by bringing an item, you bring the item that is requested unless you check.

Well, when you're dead on a hill of Cool-Whip-brand whipped topping I'll mourn your death by wiping my tears with store-brand Kleenex and toast you with the Pepsi-brand cola that someone brought when I asked for coke, but then I'll just have to move on with my life.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

You know sometimes people ask for specific brands because of allergies.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Thinking of the time I brought my friend from Tennessee a coke when he asked for a "coke" and he had to specify he wanted a pepsi

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Vader posted:

In that case they would probably want to make that clear

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Steve Vader posted:

Ah are we now at the “are you being ableist” point in the cool whip discourse

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

And while we're on the subject -

Did you/Do you think I will regret getting head? (first time)

Mate, the moving van already dropped off the boxes. You gotta unpack them

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

That's true. That should definitely be clear. I apologize for faltering in my resistance to the Cool Whip discourse. Sometimes I use it to make banana pudding. I also like to cover pumpkin pie with it at Thanksgiving.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

FMguru posted:

Good strong spine on OP. "As helpful as a bag of used horse condoms" is a solid burn. LOL @ dad making a fool of himself trying to buy an out-of-stock replacement at the Lego Store.

To be fair horse cum is so lucrative that even the firearms manufacturer Glock has dipped their toe in the crusty pool. Used horse condoms may in fact be very valuable. :hmmyes: Also I completely expected that to be about mom and dad throwing a fit over nephew finding sex toys due to the quotation marks.

Mordiceius posted:

If you're offering to bring something, you bring what the person asked. If you're just going to go "ehhhh good enough, it's not what they asked for but it's close" then you shouldn't offer to bring something in the first place. He didn't need to offer to bring the item. But he did, and then he didn't bring the item that was requested. Sure, it was only a $5 item. Yeah, it sucks the store was out. While at the store, he could have texted girlfriend and asked "is store brand okay?" There are so many paths that could have been taken so this situation could have been avoided. He took none of them. While it wasn't important to him, it was important to the host.

100% this.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
It’s true that the same places make a lot of different variants, some of which are store brands, they aren’t always identical, which is why store brands may be more to your taste. Sometimes they are though, like when they recalled Peter Pan and Wal-Mart Great Value peanut butter at the same time because the same rats poo poo in the same vat containing the same peanut butter later packaged with different labels.

Even ‘boutique’ brands are also from the same places (especially booze). I’ve been told that up until about 2010 you could differentiate true independently produced brands by packaging.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 11, 2024

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cliff posted:

Go find the guy and slap him about 12802 times. It’s an HFCS cocktail:
Ingredients: Water, high fructose corn syrup, 2% or less concentrated juices

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
A guy I know said he was bringing whisky but the loving piece of poo poo brought whiskey. I called him an ablest scumbag and never spoke to him again.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
If someone threw a fit because they asked for grey goose and I brought Kirkland red label they can go buy it themselves

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Mordiceius posted:

Lmao who hurt you

it’s fake whipped cream

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Remulak posted:

It’s true that the same places make a lot of different variants, some of which are store brands, they aren’t always identical, which is why store brands may be more to your taste. Sometimes they are though, like when they recalled Peter Pan and Wal-Mart Great Value peanut butter at the same time because the same rats poo poo in the same vat containing the same peanut butter later packaged with different labels.

Even ‘boutique’ brands are also from the same places (especially booze). I’ve been told that up until about 2010 you could differentiate true independently produced brands by packaging.

An Aldi opened up near me a little while ago and their whole thing is "low prices because almost everything is store brand" and i'll tell you that their store brand is actually pretty dang good. This is USA aldi, i've heard the european original versions are not as great

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

idiotsavant posted:

Lmao who hurt you

it’s fake whipped cream

Why is it so hard for you to communicate with people?

If someone is hosting a party and asks me to bring <named item> and I go to the store and they're out of <named item>, I'm going to text the person and say "They're out of <named item>, is there something else you'd prefer?" If they don't respond, then sure, make the substitution. This isn't the 1980s. We can text people! We can call people! These situations can be avoided entirely in the first place!

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
I guess I’m also insane but when I’m asked to bring something to a party I bring the thing they asked for (even if I don’t personally care) and I don’t wait until the last minute just in case. Institutionalize me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mordiceius posted:

Why is it so hard for you to communicate with people?

Actually talking to people is the superpower we forget we have.