Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I was not sure if they just ran out of story faster than their patch rate, but since Penacony so far has seemed decent it re-emphasizes to me how disjointed and uninteresting everything on Xianzhou was after already feeling like a big story and atmospheric drop off compared to Jarilo VI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Just remembered I wanted to ask about this:
Is Acheron an Emanator or not? A couple of characters said that Nihility having an Emanator is impossible, but a few other characters refer to her as such.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zebia posted:

Just remembered I wanted to ask about this:
Is Acheron an Emanator or not? A couple of characters said that Nihility having an Emanator is impossible, but a few other characters refer to her as such.

She absolutely is. IX doesn't give out their gifts like the other aeons, Nihility emanators are just those few people who can resist being swallowed entirely by the Nihility when they encounter it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Has anyone posted a guide to getting all phonographs yet? I’m just missing 3 from this patch and scoured the maps for an hour and couldn’t find them. Two in the theater 1 at SoulGlad.

qbert fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 11, 2024

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Eimi posted:

Mihoyo is a music company that makes games. And if you aren't away of HI3, every big moment of the story had a banger cinematic and even better song. I have little doubt that they would stop when Wildfire and Hope is the Thing with Feathers are such great continuations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-VNG8vW5RA

Man, seeing that really makes me miss HI3. Looking forward to each story patch and whatever banger cinematic they had waiting for each arc was such a fun time, as well as every character being something to look forward to up through the end of the main story. I wish they kept the formula with other games - like if we got an animation to cap off story arcs in HSR it would be so cool. I don’t know if we ever will though since they’ve seemingly left behind that formula favoring more in game cinematic, 3D style character previews and more stylized animations. And they are really good, but nothing got my hype up the same as those old HI3 climactic animations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Eimi posted:

She absolutely is. IX doesn't give out their gifts like the other aeons, Nihility emanators are just those few people who can resist being swallowed entirely by the Nihility when they encounter it.

Yeah, my understanding is that Self-Annihilators aren't chosen, they kinda just stumble into IX Goop and don't immediately succumb.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

rio posted:

Man, seeing that really makes me miss HI3. Looking forward to each story patch and whatever banger cinematic they had waiting for each arc was such a fun time, as well as every character being something to look forward to up through the end of the main story. I wish they kept the formula with other games - like if we got an animation to cap off story arcs in HSR it would be so cool. I don’t know if we ever will though since they’ve seemingly left behind that formula favoring more in game cinematic, 3D style character previews and more stylized animations. And they are really good, but nothing got my hype up the same as those old HI3 climactic animations.

Seele being robbed of a proper animations when she became a herrsher really hurt. I prefer the old style hi3 had, with visual novel segments and cinematics/cg punctuating it instead of it basically turning into Genshin.

I've complained many times but I also miss the smaller but more deep cast. It sucks to know the Penacony characters will be banished to the event dimension soon.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, my understanding is that Self-Annihilators aren't chosen, they kinda just stumble into IX Goop and don't immediately succumb.

I think you're supposed to see IX itself and have your brain blasted by the universal representation of complete and utter futility

And if you feel bad for IX you get a medical degree

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

Pain of Mind posted:

I was not sure if they just ran out of story faster than their patch rate, but since Penacony so far has seemed decent it re-emphasizes to me how disjointed and uninteresting everything on Xianzhou was after already feeling like a big story and atmospheric drop off compared to Jarilo VI.

I think its that the Space Station, Jarilo-VI, and now Penacony are designed as mostly self-contained episode arcs that we get to revisit occasionally for some extra stuff as the game goes on, but the Luofu reads to me both a victim of continual last-minute rewrites, and the Prologue to the Grand Xianzhou Epic Arc they probably have planned to run throughout the game's lifetime.

This unfortunately meant the Luofu was mostly exposition and setting up a bunch of mystery boxes that the writers had no intention of really opening during that arc.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Why does Acheron sometimes have red text? Absolutely never explained or referenced by anyone.

If the Child's Dream is Misha's home, shouldn't it disappear by the end of the story? I guess it's just hanging around for gameplay reasons yeah?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think after liyue was kind of a footnote in genshin they wanted to make sure the china analogue in this game was much more heavily featured and featured much more important characters (the only really important liyue character in genshin is zhongli, whereas here blade and dan heng are part of the main recurring cast) but the end result was it got rewritten to hell. belabog also had the signs of heavy rewrites but it didnt detract from the story as much.

i think if they did loufu now the dan heng/blade/jingliu backstory stuff would be the main plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Why does Acheron sometimes have red text? Absolutely never explained or referenced by anyone.
the red text lines actually vary depending on your choices in the dream convo with her. that is, if you pick different options in the dream and then the same options outside of the dream, the red text will be different. that kinda implies the red text is either like, heightened awareness on her part or some sort of light 4th wall breaking/meta stuff. i assume the red text is her 'nihility voice?' like when shes using her ult, if she spoke during it that text'd be red too. something related to the nihility stuff shes got going on.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Endorph posted:

the red text lines actually vary depending on your choices in the dream convo with her. that is, if you pick different options in the dream and then the same options outside of the dream, the red text will be different. that kinda implies the red text is either like, heightened awareness on her part or some sort of light 4th wall breaking/meta stuff. i assume the red text is her 'nihility voice?' like when shes using her ult, if she spoke during it that text'd be red too. something related to the nihility stuff shes got going on.

Exactly wrong. It's the things that give her life meaning, that she holds on to. The red is "existence", the opposite of Nihility.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Endorph posted:

i think if they did loufu now the dan heng/blade/jingliu backstory stuff would be the main plot.

This is my kill phrase

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eimi posted:

Seele being robbed of a proper animations when she became a herrsher really hurt. I prefer the old style hi3 had, with visual novel segments and cinematics/cg punctuating it instead of it basically turning into Genshin.

I've complained many times but I also miss the smaller but more deep cast. It sucks to know the Penacony characters will be banished to the event dimension soon.

Well there’s evidence to suggest Sunday will join the Stellaron Hunters if you read the ingame collectibles. Black Swan and Acheron are also too important I feel to be relegated strictly to events, Acheron especially is going to be incredibly important in the arc we get Nihility Trailblazer. Sparkle is a complete wild card and will show up again I bet. Aventurine will probably pop up from time to time. It’s really just Robin and Boothill who I can see being stuck in the event dimension. Misha and Gallagher are gone for good so they’re limited with what they can do with them too.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eej posted:

This is my kill phrase

But the story of the High Cloud Quintet is good, it's just told terribly. If they made the final boss of the Xianzhou Shuhu instead of swerving into the Destruction it'd have been way better. Dan Heng finishes what Den Feng could not. Though I think it's also a story that really would need to happen after we get to know Dan Heng as a character much better to land. :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mulva posted:

Exactly wrong. It's the things that give her life meaning, that she holds on to. The red is "existence", the opposite of Nihility.
tbf i just said 'related to'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eej posted:

This is my kill phrase
i mean if nothing else it might give dan heng going dragon mode some actual meaning

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Also I thought that the red text was due to Acheron being completely unaffected by The Order's dream and being an existential threat to it? Black Swan mentions that it's the peculiarity that the Trailblazer sometimes felt around Acheron.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

eh, will they? this game's been pretty good about integrating past characters into the main plot a bit more. we got the trailblaze continuances, topaz has ongoing relevance as part of the IPC subplot, etc. firefly will obviously be around more since shes a stellaron hunter, and acheron, black swan, and boothill are all characters that could easily show up later, and probably will.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

librarerun posted:

I think its that the Space Station, Jarilo-VI, and now Penacony are designed as mostly self-contained episode arcs that we get to revisit occasionally for some extra stuff as the game goes on, but the Luofu reads to me both a victim of continual last-minute rewrites, and the Prologue to the Grand Xianzhou Epic Arc they probably have planned to run throughout the game's lifetime.

This unfortunately meant the Luofu was mostly exposition and setting up a bunch of mystery boxes that the writers had no intention of really opening during that arc.

Yeah this is the only explanation that is convincing to me. They needed some kind of resolution for the patch plot but didn't actually want to conclude anything yet, so nothing really happens. Dan Heng spends almost the entire plot in a holding pen on the docks, it's silly.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

eh, will they? this game's been pretty good about integrating past characters into the main plot a bit more. we got the trailblaze continuances, topaz has ongoing relevance as part of the IPC subplot, etc. firefly will obviously be around more since shes a stellaron hunter, and acheron, black swan, and boothill are all characters that could easily show up later, and probably will.

At the rate characters are being added we are going to hit some kind of singularity. 2 5* per patch is kind of insane. The Belobolg cast is pretty squarely event dimensioners. There just won't be enough time for every single character at the pace they keep releasing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Belobog is for events not because of game design but because they're basically a backwoods town that just got the internet a year ago. Why would they even show up off planet?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think it's fine for story arcs to have some characters who do not show up again. Honestly it would be weirder if they weren't allowed to write characters like that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Yes it was, directly.

look at this piece I stuck on Robin

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

There was a sidequests on the Luofu with a masked fool whose true form we never saw. That could have been Sparkle for all we know. She mentioned we'd see her again too(the Luofu fool).

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Meowywitch posted:

Yes it was, directly.

Ok? Where/when?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

At the rate characters are being added we are going to hit some kind of singularity. 2 5* per patch is kind of insane. The Belobolg cast is pretty squarely event dimensioners. There just won't be enough time for every single character at the pace they keep releasing.
the belabog cast are event dimensioned, minus the new story content they got after the initial visit to their planet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also events in this game actually do have like, stories, unlike genshin, so its not that bad to be event dimensioned really

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013
event dimensioned, like sampo who is currently on a quest to get his mask back and so will obviously be showing up again in the future. possibly as a 5 star doing whatever powers his mask gives him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Ok? Where/when?

Ok I took this as the explanation for it but maybe it actually isnt. My bad if i'm wrong.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Ok? Where/when?

It was during her second to last conversation with Tiernan, that happens just after you set your party for the final fight.

Like it wasn't particularly subtle and it happens at a loving majorly key moment in the story, where people just checked out at that point or something?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that line isnt really directly 'this is why she has red text,' it just says 'why you felt that sense of peculiarity.' you have to have remembered them saying that a few times during 2.0 which was a few months ago now, and then also make the connection that the peculiarity line was directly about the red text.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Mulva posted:

It was during her second to last conversation with Tiernan, that happens just after you set your party for the final fight.

Like it wasn't particularly subtle and it happens at a loving majorly key moment in the story, where people just checked out at that point or something?

I didn't make the connection that she was talking to Tiernan(who is like, one of the founders of Penacony right?), I thought it was some inscrutable HI3 thing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I didn't make the connection that she was talking to Tiernan(who is like, one of the founders of Penacony right?), I thought it was some inscrutable HI3 thing.

mildly concerned about gacha gamer reading ability

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

GoodluckJonathan posted:

That's made clear in the last cutscene where she talks to him; they even update his ??? name tag after it's revealed.

Is Tiernan mentioned at all before 2.2 though? Outside of, I think, being mentioned as one of the Nameless who went there at the start of the arc. Man, I don't want to make a new profile to go through the story again but I really could use a refresher on it. It's a long time between patches and things don't stick for me like they did for Jarlio or Xianzhou

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 11, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

That's made clear in the last cutscene where she talks to him; they even update his ??? name tag after it's revealed.

Is Tiernan mentioned at all before 2.2 though? Outside of, I think, being mentioned as one of the Nameless who went there at the start of the arc. Man, I don't want to make a new profile to go through the story again but I really could use a refresher on it. It's a long time between patches and things don't stick for me like they did for Jarlio or Xianzhou

They definitely talked about the 3 Nameless who stayed behind on Penacony. I don't recall if they give names for all of them, though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
They did, but I don't fault people for that, it's like one of the first things you hear in 2.0 and the story isn't going to remind you of those names for a long loving time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I do remember thinking that the name Legwork was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Clarste posted:

I do remember thinking that the name Legwork was funny.

Yeah that definitely stood out compared to the other two.