Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i lifted hella weight today! deadlifts ftw!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Hellblazer187 posted:

That 30th birthday I took away your bending meme kinda pisses me off because like, if you just did some squats it wouldn't be that way. Seriously get a single kettlebell and just do goblet squats if you don't want to do lifting for real, it will let you do the amazing athletic feat of bending your knee after the ripe old age of 30.

People's critical thinking just absolutely disappears when it comes to diet and exercise. Like at any level that isn't high level competition it's all super basic but people just don't get it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I thought they were called goblin squats

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I thought they were called goblin squats

You can’t call them that anymore it’s offensive.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

feelix posted:

People's critical thinking just absolutely disappears when it comes to diet and exercise. Like at any level that isn't high level competition it's all super basic but people just don't get it

It's unfair for people to tell me to bring in my car for an oil change periodically. I'm very busy doing important stuff like posting, so these lubrication shamers need to cram it.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

doverhog posted:

Also, perhaps you should relax a bit more. I like to get hyped up too but there are healthier ways to do it than "I want all the power so I can kill the weak".
Is it acceptable to want the power to kill those who prey on the weak?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

beepo posted:

It's unfair for people to tell me to bring in my car for an oil change periodically. I'm very busy doing important stuff like posting, so these lubrication shamers need to cram it.

It's true, every car falls apart eventually so any money and effort you spend maintaining your car is wasted

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

secular woods sex posted:

Is it acceptable to want the power to kill those who prey on the weak?

That would be better, yeah. I prefer to think I'm casting a spell to kill god and the reps and sweat (or any other liquids) are a components in the spell. Also think this during sex, just all around good hype to whatever intense thing you're doing. :cheerdoge:

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Incredible, just saw an orthodox clergy member training at my gym (in very suburban australia). He was wearing all the poo poo (large beard, black cassock, big flayva flav cross) while doing weighted decline situps.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Concatenation posted:

Incredible, just saw an orthodox clergy member training at my gym (in very suburban australia). He was wearing all the poo poo (large beard, black cassock, big flayva flav cross) while doing weighted decline situps.

Literally reps for Jesus

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Was on the bus into work last week and saw a middle aged punk with purple hair and a goatee doing his calisthenics routine on a couple bike racks.

He was also hitting himself with a theragun in between movements.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
this weekend I got a spot from my boy, something awful forums member XIII, and my PR went from 225 -> 275. gonna try to hit 300 by july before old age finally takes me

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i’m now soaking in the bathtub now because my poo poo is all hosed up, naturally

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i started doing incline press this week and it feels so much better than flat bench its unreal

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

TenementFunster posted:

this weekend I got a spot from my boy, something awful forums member XIII, and my PR went from 225 -> 275. gonna try to hit 300 by july before old age finally takes me

275 is a good lift drat

It's unreal how much a spot can help. One day I'll believe in myself as much as I believe my spotter will save me from a slow death by compression in case I gas out.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

i’m now soaking in the bathtub now because my poo poo is all hosed up, naturally

Eat more fiber.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

There was an exercise scientists on youtube who was talking about training at various different ages, talking about the inevitability of decline as you get older but also what to realistically expect. He had a quote that was something like "Yeah, if you train hard, train consistently, and are careful to avoid injury then by the time you're 70 will probably have the strength levels of an untrained 30 year old man. And that's great! Because our entire world is build around being accessible to the average untrained 30 year old man."

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah honestly the real goal is to just have a decent quality of life and autonomy until the very, very end.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

LanceHunter posted:

There was an exercise scientists on youtube who was talking about training at various different ages, talking about the inevitability of decline as you get older but also what to realistically expect. He had a quote that was something like "Yeah, if you train hard, train consistently, and are careful to avoid injury then by the time you're 70 will probably have the strength levels of an untrained 30 year old man. And that's great! Because our entire world is build around being accessible to the average untrained 30 year old man."

He has a name, it's Mike Israetel, and he's a dumb libertarian rear end in a top hat that has almost entirely transitioned to posting useless YouTube clickbait

He still has some useful gems here and there like the video you mentioned, and his older stuff (before he ran out of basic, correct advice to cover and had to continue monetizing) is golden

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i would edit that to just 'libertarian' and yeah a lot of the Youtubes he puts out are just more clickbaity rehashes of the info he put out in longer-form video series years ago. that said I like the interviews he has with the guests, I find them interesting and usually has some new info

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
He hasn't done any research since his PhD and he maintains an online lecturer position so he can call himself a "professor of exercise science" for clout to people who don't understand how academia works, so take the "exercise scientist" title with a grain of salt as well

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I think as far as evidence based fitness people go Israetel is pretty decent, vis a vis the exercise science content he puts out. He's jacked and has a PhD and doesn't talk nonsense. Even if he's not a "real academic" anymore he's still going to be one of the less dumb voices in the online fitness influencer space. I was disappointed when I found out he had bad political opinions but it doesn't really change his exercise science content.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

What about the Barbell Medicine guys. Are they dooks too?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
evidence is pencil neckology

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Batterypowered7 posted:

What about the Barbell Medicine guys. Are they dooks too?

No they're great

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

feelix posted:

He hasn't done any research since his PhD and he maintains an online lecturer position so he can call himself a "professor of exercise science" for clout to people who don't understand how academia works, so take the "exercise scientist" title with a grain of salt as well

sort of agree but he does still co-author regularly with other, actual scientists in the field. saying he doesnt do research anymore is disingenuous. hes def more a youtube guy now but still

his old stuff is pure gold tho. his "building a strength program" was an excellent, straightforward distillation of the books id read at the time that really helped me with programming

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

evidence is pencil neckology

ultimately however, this.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think as far as evidence based fitness people go Israetel is pretty decent, vis a vis the exercise science content he puts out. He's jacked and has a PhD and doesn't talk nonsense. Even if he's not a "real academic" anymore he's still going to be one of the less dumb voices in the online fitness influencer space. I was disappointed when I found out he had bad political opinions but it doesn't really change his exercise science content.

I think the pendulum is swinging away from evidence based fitness and for a good reason. We don't need research to cover the basics, and the utility of a study telling you if 60* incline is better than 70* incline is basically zero in real life. Just do whichever one you like better.

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

Mustached Demon posted:

Eat more fiber.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

sort of agree but he does still co-author regularly with other, actual scientists in the field. saying he doesnt do research anymore is disingenuous. hes def more a youtube guy now but still

his old stuff is pure gold tho. his "building a strength program" was an excellent, straightforward distillation of the books id read at the time that really helped me with programming

I didn't do any research on whether he does research anymore because I'm not a nerd (my actual job title is research associate)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

feelix posted:

I didn't do any research on whether he does research anymore because I'm not a nerd (my actual job title is research associate)

im an engineer so i dont know a loving thing about research

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Yeah he just helped out with the recent bulking study that Eric helms headed up

https://youtu.be/q1J3WGz_QJU?si=eOp0RX4-t6dhc-bG

:shrug:

YouTube is a business so some of his videos are click bait poo poo but most of them are decent to great

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

feelix posted:

He has a name, it's Mike Israetel, and he's a dumb libertarian rear end in a top hat that has almost entirely transitioned to posting useless YouTube clickbait

He still has some useful gems here and there like the video you mentioned, and his older stuff (before he ran out of basic, correct advice to cover and had to continue monetizing) is golden

Yeah, all the stuff you mention is why I only bothered to post the piece of insightful bit of info instead of giving him a shout-out.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

feelix posted:

I think the pendulum is swinging away from evidence based fitness and for a good reason. We don't need research to cover the basics, and the utility of a study telling you if 60* incline is better than 70* incline is basically zero in real life. Just do whichever one you like better.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Most of the evidence based guys say the same thing at this point - for most people just lift heavy, get 1-4 reps from failure in a 5-30 rep range, etc.

I have literally never seen Helms, Israetel, Henselmanns, whoever, say "you should do your inline at 70 degrees instead of 60" or anything really approaching that. Most of the stuff I see them post is about effort (working hard enough to get within 4 reps of failure) and volume.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Also it's all basically chasing that last 1% of extra growth or whatever.

If you just execute the basics correctly (diet, effort, consistency) you're golden.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If you're a competitor the extra whatever% you get from the other bullshit could possibly be worth it. But for most of us, just lift.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I stopped following Israetel because he posts absolutely batshit food combos sometimes in order to fit his macros.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

B-Rock452 posted:

I stopped following Israetel because he posts absolutely batshit food combos sometimes in order to fit his macros.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sometimes i eat 500 calories of chips as dessert after my rice & chicken or w/e dinner cause i need to fill out my cals