Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SixteenShells posted:

One thing I've noticed as well is that getting really into the geneneology of your family is something a LOT of middle class retirees do. Kids moved out long ago, you're feeling listless and purposeless, you don't have poo poo to do but putter around an empty house and dig through old records. Figuring out some interesting piece of your family history becomes part of your reason for getting up in the morning, because theres nothing much else to do.

Lol, my dad got us 23andMe kits a couple years back for that reason, wanting to trace the family tree and whatnot.

Found out he has a half-sister nobody ever knew about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/rickperlstein/status/1789353575430193529?t=VYGvYlBzE-8q5bqPjdrT7Q&s=19

Trump was the one who walked away from hitting Iran and it's Biden who keeps shoveling arms and escalatory incidents towards Putin but sure it's Trump that's going to start ww3

I don't know Rick, I actually think its a reflection of the despicable ignorance and cowardice of many so called enlightened liberals such as yourself, and how this and your own lack of political imagination leads you to support demented genocidal monsters like Joe Biden.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Let's be fair, Biden was already funding concentration camps well before Oct 7

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
supposed native ancestry is incredibly common in oklahoma
i mean it's silly and could be considered offensive but it also makes some sense given the state's history

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
They want to justify their existence and exonerate their ancestors for their invasion, occupation and genocide of north america. Oh we've been here (as genocidal colonizers) for 150 years!! Oh your culture is 5000 years? Well my great great great aunt was injun so we cool

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

what no way hes a member of the competant good guy party theres no way theyd let someone like THAT in there

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

hasbara adopting a noble savage myth for the palestinians is gonna be wild

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1789150074422858189?t=mYq-BcFSSdCNZ89W99c90Q&s=19

It's happening!!!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

lmfao at the picture they chose of KJU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

actually you'll find that this is a very common turn of phrase. smh goons

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Most Québécois have at least one First Nations ancestor because in the early days of New France inter marriage was encouraged as a way to boost population. Cardinal de Richelieu even had an edict that would recognize any native who converted to catholicism as being « fully french », a benefit later colonized people like the algerians would not be granted.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's incredible because Biden has been the A+ standard of Zionist US politician for fifty years, the liberals put him power over the strenuous objections of the left, and the consequences are plainly visible.

And it doesn't loving matter.

Nothing will ever penetrate their smooth brains.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

insane clown pussy posted:

hasbara adopting a noble savage myth for the palestinians is gonna be wild

Looking forward to the Once Upon A Time in the West Middle East reboot

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Zoran posted:

it is extremely common for white families in the US to claim that some distant ancestor was a Native American, and for them to tell their kids so at an age when they’ll completely believe it

Fun fact: especially in the South, this is often used to disguise a black ancestor somewhere in the family tree. Great-grandpa had dark skin? Uh, his dad was half-Cherokee, yeah, that's the ticket.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Elizabeth Warren will hopefully constantly have that dna test brought up whenever she thinks she's capable of running for president

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

It's incredible because Biden has been the A+ standard of Zionist US politician for fifty years, the liberals put him power over the strenuous objections of the left, and the consequences are plainly visible.

And it doesn't loving matter.

Nothing will ever penetrate their smooth brains.

It's already penetrated their highly compact brains. The bigger problem is they're a bunch of spineless despicable cowards who will always support the democrats no matter what because they are terrified of their own shadows.

https://twitter.com/rickperlstein/status/1789353575430193529?t=VYGvYlBzE-8q5bqPjdrT7Q&s=19

Like this guy!

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

"Look, that ...You...Yun........Kim Jong U.......that asian feller"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Biden absolutely uses some kind of old-timey racial slur to describe KJU in private

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Excelzior posted:

Biden absolutely uses some kind of old-timey racial slur to describe KJU in private

They used "Celestials" on Deadwood so probably that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that if biden used racial slurs at all his filter is now so broken that he'd use them publicly, too. he's insanely racist in other ways.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Biden called Lee Kwan Yew "the wisest man in the Orient" in 2014

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think that if biden used racial slurs at all his filter is now so broken that he'd use them publicly, too. he's insanely racist in other ways.

i want to see the lib heads explode after a biden n-word incident

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

silicone thrills posted:

My mom / aunts totally repeated the "our great grandmother was dakota" poo poo all the time when I was a kid and I have no idea if they still claim it but I figured it was bullshit pretty early and my sister did a DNA test and confirmed we are not infact any part native american in our family lol

growing up my grandma who died in 84 was supposedly”1/4 Cherokee”

after looking into it that is completely false. however that lineage does have ancestors on the Indian census rolls but it isn’t 1/4, more like 1/64 or more. I got in an argument online with a very distant relative whose identity is based off this tenuous connection when I commented it’s not as strong as you think. it was on those DNA sit s but whatever if dude wants to embrace it that’s fine just have to be realistic.

hell, my white as hell spouse is 1/8 Filipino and that’s a lot stronger to something not white/euro than what I have.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
The reality is pretty boring. America, English colonies, generally, never had an accepted Métis/Mestizo identity, and Mulatto/Creole was definitely not accepted.

So there are lots of Americans with mixed ancestry, but this is also why their ancestry passed into folklore. Because it was a product of folklore, there are lots of Americans without mixed ancestry that had a Greek/Turkish/Armenian/Italian/Black ancestry that was massaged into being Native American.

Part of this is pepaw's tall tales, and part is, anyone who could pass for white worked very hard to make sure they did, and anyone who could not pass for white invented the closest-to-white ancestry they could. In British Columbia, where people hated natives almost as much as Americans hated black people, coastal Indian admixture was explained as "Hawaiian" or "Polynesian". I don't think it's a coincidence that the Cherokee were a tribe common in the American South, and Jim Crow is when you see these claims explode. The One Drop Rule was a very real thing people had to work around.

It's hard to remember now, but the colour line in America, at the earliest softened with Loving v. Virginia in 1967. Support for interracial marriage was not a clear majority position until our lifetimes.

On top of all of this, because of how liberal institutions work, with the dynamics of race and career advancement reversing in a single generation, there's a lot of incentive to lean into family folklore, which is why you see people in these PMC fields do it. There aren't gas station attendants in areas where support for intermarriage is still weak, or racial prejudice is still present, suddenly connecting with dubious mixed ancestry.

e: as for why the indigenous ancestor is always remembered as (and nearly always was) a woman, this should not be hard to understand. Very few European women went to the new world before major colonies were established, fewer still did so as single women and not part of family units. Women who were transported as maids remained in urban areas and married single white males of the same class like servants and soldiers. Women of higher status had their marriages formally or informally arranged. At no point, pretty much until 1967, would it be acceptable for a white woman to intermarry as a rule. There were exceptions for exceedingly high status indigenous people, who were for all intents and purposes "honorary whites", and then they married white women one or two classes down, such as Maya nobles in Yucatan marrying Spanish maidservants.

It was beyond the settled zone, into the frontier, that mixed marriages happened, the Scots-Presbyterian Métis were called "country born" for this reason. Since, as a rule, no European women ventured into the frontier zones of the colonies, marriages that happened - which were extremely common as in John Norton and Joseph Brant - were between European men operating in the frontier - trappers, soldiers, surveyors, adventurers - and indigenous women of settled societies.

There were very very few points of contact where an indigenous (or black) man would be around a white woman, generally, and almost none where this would be without surveillance. As such marriages would not likely be permitted, and permission to marry was was not something you could exactly opt out of, there were huge barriers. As women arrived in the New World as part of either their family units, or as maids to a household, their activities were subject to societal scrutiny more than men in the backwoods.

So, there reason why this is remembered as a female ancestor, most likely-to-almost certainly, it was, just because of how society worked, and the reason the "princess" moniker is important is part romanticism, but part the status requirement for intermarriage to be approved. That's if it's true and not trying to hide a less desirable mixed ancestry, or invented outright.

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 18:03 on May 12, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

KomradeX posted:

His bad.lib takes.(and how depressing Before the Storm and Nixonland were) has kind of kept me from reading The Invisible Bridge

Invisible Bridge was great. Currently a little over halfway through Reaganland, and while parts of it (e.g: the inept trial of the guy who assassinated Harvey Milk) are depressing, it's also a great book. I'll probably share more about Reaganland when I finish it. Shame Perlstein seems to have taken the exact wrong lessons from these books.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

biceps crimes posted:

That might be the worst thing Eggman's ever posted

so far

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
all questions of lineage are also basically irrelevant compared to current material economic class, and no amount of nominal ethnic diversity in past ancestry erases current levels of property ownership or colonial-imperial subsidization. any dipshit's claim to "cherokee" or "irish" lineage could be 100% true and right about their ancestry and it would only serve proof of how the construction of whiteness eliminates and replaces any other past ethnocultural history with anglo-american fascist colonialist ideology

also, re: why mixed heritage is always claimed to come from women; it's patriarchy mixing with racism, wherein it's more acceptable for white/european men to claim other races' women as property but the reverse is the filthiest kind of racial contamination and usurpation

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Part of this is pepaw's tall tales, and part is, anyone who could pass for white worked very hard to make sure they did, and anyone who could not pass for white invented the closest-to-white ancestry they could. In British Columbia, where people hated natives almost as much as Americans hated black people, coastal Indian admixture was explained as "Hawaiian" or "Polynesian". I don't think it's a coincidence that the Cherokee were a tribe common in the American South, and Jim Crow is when you see these claims explode. The One Drop Rule was a very real thing people had to work around.

ime growing up in the south it was more common to claim ancestry from a tribe other than cherokee in part because that's just played out and also there's a billion non-federally recognized tribes to choose from

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

also the reason why cherokee was the go-to tribal claim for so long was every idiot thinking they could scam the government out of free land when the dawes rolls were first announced

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/i/status/1789667744733909115

I guess we need to give Israel more nukes or something? Not sure

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol he deleted it what did it say

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol he deleted it

what a coward

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

:911: My president. :911:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Rectal Death Alert posted:

They used "Celestials" on Deadwood so probably that

Biden's date of birth is closer to the time period of Deadwood than today.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Joe Biden's birthdate is closer in time to Abraham Lincoln's second inauguration than it is to his own inauguration.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol he deleted it what did it say

PhilippAchtel posted:

This, but for Vietnam

Actually, here you go:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol what a little freak

fuckin sick little turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Rectal Death Alert posted:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1789667744733909115

I guess we need to give Israel more nukes or something? Not sure
if i ever found myself using the detonation of nuclear bombs to favorably compare to what i want, i would pause for a second