Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Perth Comic Arts Festival (a tiny comic convention in Australia) just announced a total ban on AI art across their entire event
https://pcaf.org.au/ai-statement/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

"allergies yeah" comedy gold

also weird ai yankovich was right there

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

everything about that is awful

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

"allergies yeah" comedy gold

also weird ai yankovich was right there

https://bsky.app/profile/alyankovic.bsky.social/post/3kqgpkkndhn2g

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
*AI does something incredible and almost magical*
Performative Online Moron: "B-b-but what about LE JOBS aka my lovely furry commissions????"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Spidder posted:

*AI does something incredible and almost magical*

Oh my goodness, can you please educate everyone (in detail) how amazing and magical it is? I'm sure it will be an amazing read.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

If you're dumb enough to engage with a post that bad as though there's a real sentient person behind it AI probably really is gonna blow your mind

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If you're dumb enough to engage with a post that bad as though there's a real sentient person behind it AI probably really is gonna blow your mind

I want to hear details come on I'm starving for content, this thread is so one sided.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
He kinda owned you, guys.

May 8, 2024
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 8, 2024

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
New Randy Travis song out...

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

The Management posted:

LLMs are *incapable* of reasoning. They regurgitate words based on a statistical model of language. That means that they can generate the right words that one would expect in a response, but they can’t provide the actual solution unless they’ve been trained on it.

Oh, totally. Thing is this screw-up does not happen in general, it usually does its job when I played around with it. Getting it to count wrong and sort wrong took spaces and the ; as a separator. I'd guess the ";" sometimes pushes it in a programmy direction and then spaces count as letters?

So your data looks fine forever, everything is correct and then there's the tiniest change in the data and suddenly it is sometimes wrong. And people can understand this is bad, they just need to be told about it.

I wrote an email to my bank because they sent me some AI-Backpfeifengesicht in their newsletter and I always advise people to complain if any company that's important to their life starts using AI. If we all work together we can kill it for sure.
lol

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

AI is really BAD at tasks like that. I once generated a list of random numbers and asked chat gpt to tell me the highest number that appeared in the list. Not only would it get it wrong, but would choose different numbers when asked the same question again.

It also can't do "what numbers are missing from this series" or "what is the next number in this pattern" questions well.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/Bvgt9y_o2tw?si=jucjrWsejhTPU8zS

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
funny how in just two years the public perception of "AI" has gone from something painfully literate and pedantically exact like Data in Star Trek, to just mean some plausible sounding bullshit or messed up anatomy

somehow no sci-fi writers predicted this

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

RabbitWizard posted:

Oh, totally. Thing is this screw-up does not happen in general, it usually does its job when I played around with it. Getting it to count wrong and sort wrong took spaces and the ; as a separator. I'd guess the ";" sometimes pushes it in a programmy direction and then spaces count as letters?

So your data looks fine forever, everything is correct and then there's the tiniest change in the data and suddenly it is sometimes wrong. And people can understand this is bad, they just need to be told about it.

I wrote an email to my bank because they sent me some AI-Backpfeifengesicht in their newsletter and I always advise people to complain if any company that's important to their life starts using AI. If we all work together we can kill it for sure.
lol

So, what's interesting is that yes, LLM's have a bitch of a time doing these kinds of problems. However, if you enter these kinds of problems into the actual OpenAI chat window and ask it to solve it it will write code with the data in it and then execute a sorting function or whatever the problem calls for and it generally solves it correctly.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Tarkus posted:

So, what's interesting is that yes, LLM's have a bitch of a time doing these kinds of problems. However, if you enter these kinds of problems into the actual OpenAI chat window and ask it to solve it it will write code with the data in it and then execute a sorting function or whatever the problem calls for and it generally solves it correctly.

maybe companies that use AI shouldn't be allowed to be limited liability anymore. When a computer runs everything who is left to take on that liability
gently caress. I thought you said LLC not LLM, I don't actually know what LLM is

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Large Lady Models

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Post pics of LLMs here.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Jordan Peterson say that Large Lady Models don't get him hard so they shouldn't be in magazines

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Tarkus posted:

Jordan Peterson say that Large Lady Models don't get him hard so they shouldn't be in magazines

he doesn't get me hard, so he shouldn't be in magazines

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Clean your room.

Or get addicted to benzos

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Houle posted:

Clean your room.

Or get addicted to benzos

Benzos? Remember when quaaludes was a thing. I don't

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thing is that the programs aren't 'reading' what you type. They're selecting keywords in combination and outputting what kind of text is most commonly associated with those keywords. Hence why it gives stock answers to those questions without seeming to be able to notice the key differences, because it can't.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I found a compelling use for copilot:

When it pops up unwanted in your windows install simply ask it for the instructions on how to disable copilot in the registry and follow the instructions.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
personally i like that selena gomez has tried to sell me timeshares and enroll me in a le creuset cookware giveaway in the last 24 hours, and that machine learning will ultimately be a cool breeze of trustworthiness across our scorched media landscape

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

the heebie-gbs posted:

personally i like that selena gomez has tried to sell me timeshares and enroll me in a le creuset cookware giveaway in the last 24 hours, and that machine learning will ultimately be a cool breeze of trustworthiness across our scorched media landscape

her makeup range is pretty decent assuming an ai didn't sell it to me

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

ReelBigLizard posted:

The first thing I thought would happen with AI is killing specific kinds of spam mails. Check for words like "SEO", "lottery", "inheritance" or currency values above 12345$, if found write a ton of stuff back relevant to the mail. But this isn't making money I guess?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Perth Comic Arts Festival (a tiny comic convention in Australia) just announced a total ban on AI art across their entire event
https://pcaf.org.au/ai-statement/

I can't wait for public sentiment to swing this way until all creative events make the same ban

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

RabbitWizard posted:

The first thing I thought would happen with AI is killing specific kinds of spam mails. Check for words like "SEO", "lottery", "inheritance" or currency values above 12345$, if found write a ton of stuff back relevant to the mail. But this isn't making money I guess?

I think you'll see implementations of this fairly soon. I was playing around a few months ago with sifting through my email with a small LLM. It was slow because my computer sucked but it caught the vast majority of the spam that wasn't caught already. Oddly enough, as far as I can tell, spam hasn't gotten much better over the last year. Not as much as I thought it would have. Then again I don't see as much as say some it guy would.

051324_2
May 13, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 13, 2024

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

051324_2 posted:

I agree

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
He actually said something really poignant and funny probably.

naem
May 29, 2011

RabbitWizard posted:

the money would be in using AI to spam mail even harder unfortunately

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

kntfkr posted:

He actually said something really poignant and funny probably.

My understanding is sometimes it is literally just the n word. These machines have a long way to go before they learn to play nice!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

ReelBigLizard posted:

When it pops up unwanted in your windows install simply ask it for the instructions on how to disable copilot in the registry and follow the instructions.

Hey robot, pull your own guts out while I watch and clap.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

naem posted:

the money would be in using AI to spam mail even harder unfortunately

I watched a video that reasoned if 10% of all electricity use on Earth goes to running the internet, and 50% of the internet is spam bots, then 5% of all electricity use goes to bot junk. And AI's going to up that dramatically.

So dead internet theory is just a little early! It's going to end up being mostly AI screaming ads at each other and we'll be reserving a significant portion of Earth's resources for that purpose! :capitalism:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I watched a video that reasoned if 10% of all electricity use on Earth goes to running the internet, and 50% of the internet is spam bots, then 5% of all electricity use goes to bot junk. And AI's going to up that dramatically.

So dead internet theory is just a little early! It's going to end up being mostly AI screaming ads at each other and we'll be reserving a significant portion of Earth's resources for that purpose! :capitalism:

that number sounds high, but i dunno, maybe. when i worked for a company that designed and built grinding mills (like a front loading dryer that tumbles rock and ball bearings), i was told an interesting stat: somewhere between 2-5% of the worlds total energy consumption (not just electricity, but total energy, including burning fossil fuels) is used in mining new rock. around half of that is used in just one process at the mine: grinding or comminution in the mills. So something like 1-2.5% of the worlds total energy consumption went strictly to grinding rock. this was a lesson in why incremental improvements in grinding efficiency yielded huge returns

not hard to imagine when you see a mill like this:

and know its filled with hundreds of tons of 3-6" ball bearings and huge chunks of rock

anyway. just reminded of that with that claim of the internet using 10% of the worlds electricity (again, not doubting that necessarily)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

that number sounds high, but i dunno, maybe. when i worked for a company that designed and built grinding mills (like a front loading dryer that tumbles rock and ball bearings), i was told an interesting stat: somewhere between 2-5% of the worlds total energy consumption (not just electricity, but total energy, including burning fossil fuels) is used in mining new rock. around half of that is used in just one process at the mine: grinding or comminution in the mills. So something like 1-2.5% of the worlds total energy consumption went strictly to grinding rock. this was a lesson in why incremental improvements in grinding efficiency yielded huge returns

not hard to imagine when you see a mill like this:

and know its filled with hundreds of tons of 3-6" ball bearings and huge chunks of rock

anyway. just reminded of that with that claim of the internet using 10% of the worlds electricity (again, not doubting that necessarily)

So if they turn it on when they are standing there, they have a very bad day right? The 2nd is inside the 1st picture and that spins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol. yes.