Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Bought a car last week and took delivery today.

Also, had occasion to drive up to fort collins and haven't really just tested this thing's mpg on 6th gear cruise. Parked it at 83 most of the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Me a few days ago: I need to change the front brake pads so I'll get them ordered for delivery and do them at the weekend.

Me today with the car in the air: these pads are entirely too big to fit the car.

So that's me having spent an hour or so farting around with a caliper rebuild kit for no good reason today. Annoying thing is the website lists them as a fit so now I have to rifle through my old email receipts to find out which ones I bought last time.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Anyone have experience with the airbag system on older Miatas?

I have a '94 Miata M Edition and the airbag light on the dash is blinking; I have read that this can either be an airbag sensor that fails with age, or a larger problem with the actual airbag unit.

Given that the car is already a little nerve-wracking to drive in a world of 6' pickup truck grilles, the thought of also not having airbags is pretty concerning so I'd like to figure out a way to get this fixed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

I have a '94 Miata M Edition and the airbag light on the dash is blinking; I have read that this can either be an airbag sensor that fails with age, or a larger problem with the actual airbag unit.

Given that the car is already a little nerve-wracking to drive in a world of 6' pickup truck grilles, the thought of also not having airbags is pretty concerning so I'd like to figure out a way to get this fixed.

You could try taking it to a mechanic.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Deteriorata posted:

You could try taking it to a mechanic.

I did not word my previous post very well.. my question was more "are airbag problems potentially repairable given the age of the car?" and less "who do I take my car to if a light on the dash is blinking?"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

I did not word my previous post very well.. my question was more "are airbag problems potentially repairable given the age of the car?" and less "who do I take my car to if a light on the dash is blinking?"

Everything is repairable. Get an estimate for the work and compare it to the value of the car.

Beyond the monetary, it's also a matter of what the car is worth to you. If you are looking for an excuse to get rid of it, this may be it. If you plan to keep it, plan to spend the money needed to keep it going.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Everything is repairable.

Cadillac XLR rear taillights enter the chat.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Does the flashing airbag give a code for a set of different faults depending on the the number of flashes?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I think it does, yeah. The Internet is your friend.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Parker Lewis posted:

If you assume that the airbag is completely toast, it feels like the worst case scenario for repair is that you source a new airbag and pay a mechanic to install for you, right?

Replacement drivers side airbags look to run anywhere from 30-200 dollars online, depending on where you get them. Youtube videos abound on replacing the airbag in a miata, and I would guess it’s like an hour or two of labour for a mechanic who’s seen an NA miata before.

So if it’s not just a matter of fixing a fuse relay, which apparently is a really common issue, this still seems like a problem that is very solvable as long as you turn the crank and trust the process. Find the part, buy the part, remove the part, install the part.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Wibla posted:

I think it does, yeah. The Internet is your friend.

This is almost never true. Search practically any question and you'll get a forum where the first response is complaining that the op didn't do a search first. My favorite is when someone eventually posts a link to a different thread that has the answer and the second post in that thread is complaining the op didn't search first.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^^ lol okay. IIt blinks a code.. you Google it and you'll get a response.

It's likely the sensors or control unit because 30 years of the exposure to the elements makes they corroded.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Miata thread - the internet is your friend

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Russian Bear posted:

Miata thread - the internet is your fiend

fixed!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Parker Lewis posted:

Just do what most NA owners do, install a much better Momo steering wheel and put a piece of black electrical tape over the light

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Welp, finally struck by the miata curse

Anyone know how much/how long something like this will take to fix? Already filed a police report and insurance claim. rear end in a top hat didn't leave a note or anything while my car was parked.

Edit: Luckily some WD-40 got most of the scratches out, but definitely took a chunk of clear coat off the rear bumper panel and the wheel panel is dinged up pretty bad

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 15, 2024

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Every nice, clean and low mileage '13 to '15 NC that comes up for sale near me is a loving automatic what gives with this bullshit

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Every nice, clean and low mileage '13 to '15 NC that comes up for sale near me is a loving automatic what gives with this bullshit

Nobody with a fun miata wants to sell it

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Same reason people on Miata.net complain that all the cars on the lot have automatics, and whine about Mazda not making enough manuals. They make plenty, buddy, and they don't sit on the lots.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Same reason people on Miata.net complain that all the cars on the lot have automatics, and whine about Mazda not making enough manuals. They make plenty, buddy, and they don't sit on the lots.

Ugh when my insurance tried to total mine out over hail damage, all the comps they used were high milage, silver, automatic NCs, a car nobody with 4 limbs should want

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

They're not in the lots at all, if one popped up in a lot near me I'd grab it. Unless you're talking about new ones.

What astonishes me tho is the amount of CLUB Miatas with automatics, like what in the gently caress is the point of that? I get the Sport and Touring models, but I swear it seems like 80% of NC Clubs I ever see for sale have automatics.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This is not automatic

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It has tipped all those cones over in a rage at the thought of automatic

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I know we all love our rowing and left foot exercise, but I would happily consider a DCT Miata. My guess as to the why-not is that they're probably too heavy? That ND gearbox is the size of a loaf of bread

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

And that's probably why we keep hearing about transmission failures? :ohdear:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Had a Miata not give me the flippy lights while I gave mine . Not even a wave......

Then it was remediated by some guys who chatted with me about cars for 10 mins before I went shopping so all was right with the world.

Edit: saw it for sale on FBMP. so either the driver is against the wave and is selling, or was test driving and didn't know about the wave.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 21, 2024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i saw TWO miatas (a nb and an nd ragtop) the other day and got waves from BOTH

i was so happy.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I only ever notice other Miatas when they're almost past me and there's no time to wave. I'm the worst Miata owner :negative:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I know we all love our rowing and left foot exercise, but I would happily consider a DCT Miata. My guess as to the why-not is that they're probably too heavy? That ND gearbox is the size of a loaf of bread

there is only one DCT on the market that hasn’t had issues and it’s the PDK

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are there any issues with the first model year ND's?

Ran across a pretty nice '16 Touring, 75k miles for $14k

Wasn't really looking to get into an ND but if the price is right I may consider it

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
GLASS TRANSMISSION WORST CAR WVER

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
oh and the seatbelt can slip out of the guide kinda easy, but there’s a TSB/superseded part

ILL NEVER BUY ONE!!!! NC 4 LYFE

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol didn't you have one?

Just making sure, first model year and all that poo poo

I do really like the last NCs tho too

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol didn't you have one?

Just making sure, first model year and all that poo poo

I do really like the last NCs tho too

Main issue I'm aware of is that MT NDs have a habit of shredding 2nd gear.

When designing the 124, FIAT didn't like the ND's transmissions and stuck with the NC's.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
still have one, i think it’s just north of 40k on the odometer

i’ve done oil changes (including diff and trans with amsoil in 2022), air filter, and tires. i should probably look at doing the walnut blasting on the valves and replacing the spark plugs sometime soon, but it’s been drama free.

the transmission issue is largely overblown; it does happen, but i have not been particularly gentle (nor particularly violent) and i took delivery in october or november 2015.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I believe it is 2nd gear that is fragile yeah

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

~60kish on my '16 club and no transmission issues, I did a fluid change to something a little thicker plus diff&motor mounts and a air scoop cooler. Driven hard but not angry.

That's a great price, i'd check it out!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So if it is an issue, are there any tell tale signs it's gonna happen like grinding or something or does it just poo poo out of nowhere

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Seems to be out of nowhere; if the car has that many miles on it, its probably going to survive, they seem to go early [based on what i've read, no firsthand knowledge]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

That's why my two car garage is an E92 M3 and an NA Miata, it's a good combo.

I'm not sure the Miata revs fast enough to really benefit from it, but the likely reason in my opinion is that they're probably too expensive, I think it was +$4k for DCT on the M3 which was like 5% of the total price.