Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Very strongly disagree with this. Republicans have a similar issue to Democrats where, despite the unpopularity of Trump/Biden, they don't really have any options that aren't even worse.

It's sort of like arguing that Kamala would do better than Biden. As lovely as Biden is, he has a certain type of charisma/likability with the Democratic base that none of the other options (like Kamala or Buttigieg or whatever) have.

Kamala's also more fundamentally evil than Biden is, as high a bar as that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

I just want to be clear I don't want to vote for Trump but the dems leave me with no other choice if they continue on this path. What the heck is wrong with them.

The thing is, if they actually believe their rhetoric, that Trump is the end of democracy and all that, then running Biden at all is the biggest malpractice they could possibly do, given the ostensible stakes

I don’t think they actually believe their rhetoric though, at least not the decision makers

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
lmao i was going back to find something posted a few days ago that I wanted a saved copy of, and I didn't realize it before that the article posted in this awful tweet:
https://twitter.com/RepDWStweets/status/1790077723236241481

was written by Elliott Abrams!

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Ytlaya posted:

One more thing ticked off the list of "stuff Trump did that liberals got angry about that Biden hasn't also done."

I think the only thing left on the list is the "Muslim ban"?

You forgot the thing Trump did which pissed liberals off the most: being rude.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thinking about all those olds that Bernie volunteers got to show up at a primary precinct and then they switch to Biden while scrolling their phones as they wait in line

even if he became the favorite after Super Tuesday the Dems were already planning ways to gently caress him at the convention lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thinking about all those olds that Bernie volunteers got to show up at a primary precinct and then they switch to Biden while scrolling their phones as they wait in line

bernie was more pleased with this outcome than if those olds had voted for him

bernie repeatedly saying he loves joe biden, has the same policies as joe biden, and supports joe biden probably should have been given more weight as warning signs

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

buchanan joe skipped the muslim ban and went straight to genocide

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Howard Stern is excusing the “weird” comments his friend Jerry Seinfeld made about him having no “comedy chops,” since Seinfeld had just “came off a really bad week” battling what Stern called “blatant antisemitism.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/howard-stern-defends-seinfeld-from-blatant-antisemitism

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Raising taxes during an election year.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The thing is, if they actually believe their rhetoric, that Trump is the end of democracy and all that, then running Biden at all is the biggest malpractice they could possibly do, given the ostensible stakes

I don’t think they actually believe their rhetoric though, at least not the decision makers

I think they know biden is doa in november and are laying the ground work for whatever is next

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Today, we celebrate. We won one of the most significant verdicts on fossil fuels in US history. The Biden Administration has paused all liquified natural gas exports.

When I think about how far we have come in the climate movement it honestly makes me cry. The environmental justice movement was started by Black, brown, and indigenous leaders who saw the impacts of the fossil fuel industry using their communities as sacrifice zones. For decades, communities in regions with heavy fossil fuel production have suffered from dirty air and water, health problems like cancer and asthma, and have watched their land become barren from toxic waste polluting the soil. While we are still facing environmental racism across the country, today’s decision centered and prioritized frontline voices over fossil fuel executives’ financial interests.

Venture Global, the largest company responsible for LNG projects in the Gulf South, has faced legal challenges for multiple standard infractions. Calcasieu Pass has had so many malfunctions with permitting and drilling that it has faced legal penalties all year. In fact, it was out of compliance 84% of the first year of development. It’s been clear for a very long time, LNG projects, like all fossil fuel expansion projects, are not in the public interest.

That is why I am so incredibly happy today, and we don’t always get to say that. Today, President Biden did something brave. Though a low bar to clear, President Biden has do more on climate than any other president in US history. And today, Biden stood on the side of the People against some of the most formidable special interests in industry and politics.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Sancho Banana posted:

You forgot the thing Trump did which pissed liberals off the most: being rude.

never understood why people got so mad about the rude tweets. why are you looking at his tweets if they bother you so much

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I think they know biden is doa in november and are laying the ground work for whatever is next

I think actually no one in power in the Democratic Party is thinking past November, except just to fantasize.

The capacity for long term planning is completely gone. That’s part of why Project 2025 is so scary to the mid-level party hacks, they could never imagine their bosses actually laying out a comprehensive plan for what to do in January.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

SixteenShells posted:

never understood why people got so mad about the rude tweets. why are you looking at his tweets if they bother you so much

because they agree with them and are mad he isnt decorous about it

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I think actually no one in power in the Democratic Party is thinking past November, except just to fantasize.

The capacity for long term planning is completely gone. That’s part of why Project 2025 is so scary to the mid-level party hacks, they could never imagine their bosses actually laying out a comprehensive plan for what to do in January.

whadda yah mean no thinking past November? they are all thinking about the rake on the fundraising!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bedpan posted:

Today, we celebrate. We won one of the most significant verdicts on fossil fuels in US history. The Biden Administration has paused all liquified natural gas exports.

When I think about how far we have come in the climate movement it honestly makes me cry. The environmental justice movement was started by Black, brown, and indigenous leaders who saw the impacts of the fossil fuel industry using their communities as sacrifice zones. For decades, communities in regions with heavy fossil fuel production have suffered from dirty air and water, health problems like cancer and asthma, and have watched their land become barren from toxic waste polluting the soil. While we are still facing environmental racism across the country, today’s decision centered and prioritized frontline voices over fossil fuel executives’ financial interests.

Venture Global, the largest company responsible for LNG projects in the Gulf South, has faced legal challenges for multiple standard infractions. Calcasieu Pass has had so many malfunctions with permitting and drilling that it has faced legal penalties all year. In fact, it was out of compliance 84% of the first year of development. It’s been clear for a very long time, LNG projects, like all fossil fuel expansion projects, are not in the public interest.

That is why I am so incredibly happy today, and we don’t always get to say that. Today, President Biden did something brave. Though a low bar to clear, President Biden has do more on climate than any other president in US history. And today, Biden stood on the side of the People against some of the most formidable special interests in industry and politics.

The context for this is that there’s they’ve already built too many LNG terminals and market conditions mean no one seriously wants to build any more lol.

(Also the LNG terminals owned by the company that Biden’s climate advisors work for already are built and operating lol)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Trump's not going to win.

He's going to be charged, sentenced, and incarcerated for the Stormy Daniels hush money trial, David Pecker is going to take the stand and admit to the catch & release part of the scheme, Michael Cohen is going to reveal in great detail how he funded Stormy Daniels, and Trump will be convicted before Election Day.

He WILL do prison time before Election Day. Anyone supporting Trump at that point will be supporting a convicted and incarcerated felon.

And then who knows, maybe Karen McDougal's case might decide to come up, since Stormy Daniels will go such a thorough job of publicly loving him over!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

The context for this is that there’s they’ve already built too many LNG terminals and market conditions mean no one seriously wants to build any more lol.

(Also the LNG terminals owned by the company that Biden’s climate advisors work for already are built and operating lol)

don't let perfect be the enemy of good

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Probably Magic posted:

The case for him winning that isn't just "CSPAM must eat poo poo" is that Biden is losing demographics, but not enough in the demographic that ultimately counts, insanely lovely Boomers. For them, his is the perfect president, and Trump Derangement Syndrome is rampant in their populace, so that could just be what does it, that he captured just the right demographic. The hit back on all of the D&D pollster people who believe this and will crow about it is, there is still material consequence to reelecting one of the most immovable and dangerously psychotic presidents. Trump listens to people, it's just the worst people in the world. Biden only listens to himself. One of those is more terrifying, and it's not the one libs think it is.

I totally buy all of this, especially "the universe hates CSPAM predictions" part and yeah Biden could still win. But like, how? He's losing in GA, NV, AZ and probably most of the rust belt. He barely won in 2020 and he's doing worse in all the states he needed to win in 2020 and even then the margins were close in the rust belt.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Majorian posted:

Trump's not going to win.

He's going to be charged, sentenced, and incarcerated for the Stormy Daniels hush money trial, David Pecker is going to take the stand and admit to the catch & release part of the scheme, Michael Cohen is going to reveal in great detail how he funded Stormy Daniels, and Trump will be convicted before Election Day.

He WILL do prison time before Election Day. Anyone supporting Trump at that point will be supporting a convicted and incarcerated felon.

And then who knows, maybe Karen McDougal's case might decide to come up, since Stormy Daniels will go such a thorough job of publicly loving him over!

The storm daniels case (lol this is what dems are hanging their hat on) is going to end up being a hung jury at best.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

they are not going to send a presidential candidate to jail for a 130,000$ campaign finance violation 8 years ago lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I have to assume dems are trying to lose otherwise they would try something to make him more popular

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

It's also just a temporary pause to non-FTA countries. We're on track to beat 2023s LNG exports. Sunrise is a propaganda device

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=61863#:~:text=In%20our%20STEO%20forecast%2C%20net,to%20average%2012.2%20Bcf%2Fd.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

I totally buy all of this, especially "the universe hates CSPAM predictions" part and yeah Biden could still win. But like, how? He's losing in GA, NV, AZ and probably most of the rust belt. He barely won in 2020 and he's doing worse in all the states he needed to win in 2020 and even then the margins were close in the rust belt.

I genuinely believe the Democrats will outright rig this election if it looks like Biden will lose, and they will say they did it to preserve democracy.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
soyface clooney

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
imagine believing trump will ever face actual consequences lol

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I genuinely believe the Democrats will outright rig this election if it looks like Biden will lose, and they will say they did it to preserve democracy.

Dems are not competent or determined enough to pull off an actual steal. They actually believe the rules will save them and breaking the rules is the worst thing you can ever do

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

If biden takes WI, MI & PA + the one NE district he gets there. But that's a big if & those states lose any meaningful percentage of their core dem-ographics then :fork:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

spacemang_spliff posted:

He's losing in GA, NV, AZ and probably most of the rust belt. He barely won in 2020 and he's doing worse in all the states he needed to win in 2020 and even then the margins were close in the rust belt.

lol

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Dems would need to recognize they’re gonna lose before setting up the infrastructure needed to steal an election and they won’t allow themselves to conceive it until it’s too late

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DU thread you can't make me click even with a gun to my head:

"Amazing 400 tweet thread yesterday from Seth Abramson re: trump and Cohen's relationship"

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

Election day is gonna kick rear end

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Didn’t the US just close their last steel mill or something? How are they planning on that 25% tariff working?

very well, thank you

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

"Amazing 400 tweet thread yesterday from Seth Abramson re: trump and Cohen's relationship"

Jesus Christ

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

[Succ]Amazing 400 tweet thread yesterday from Seth Abramson

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
doesn't Abramson claim to be a professional writer? how does it take you 400 tweets to say "he was a bad lawyer and a bagman"?

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Joementum posted:

i think it's entirely possible that Schnorkles and Biden are right and the polls are wrong

but the reverse could also be true and they might want to plan for that

could be the polls are right and biden wins if nobody under 50 bothers showing up

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

It has 4 replies and they're all talking about how lovely and long winded Abramson is

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1790062434226405749

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
As a recovering economist, it is amazing the see the US discover import substitution industrialization.