Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Althar
Jan 9, 2021

I hope it advances enough to really take some jobs. The online arguments will be glorious. The art folks already lose their drat mind over it. Itll be loving hilarious once it actually makes a dent in the unemployment rate.

Oh and it seems decent for doing some brainstorming for my roleplaying games. But the fact it cant even spit out things that dont need heavy editing for that has me less wide eyed than it did when I first saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I love how even to this day, corporations cant seem to understand how bad an idea it is to crowdsource your data

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

webmeister posted:

Hes the guy who created Netscape, and for nearly 20 years hes been probably the most influential venture capital investor in silicon valley.

He also writes ultra cringe 5000-word blog posts like these:
https://a16z.com/ai-will-save-the-world/

https://a16z.com/the-techno-optimist-manifesto/

And yes, he has a weird cone shaped head,

naem
May 29, 2011

Althar posted:

I hope it advances enough to really take some jobs. The online arguments will be glorious. The art folks already lose their drat mind over it. Itll be loving hilarious once it actually makes a dent in the unemployment rate.

Oh and it seems decent for doing some brainstorming for my roleplaying games. But the fact it cant even spit out things that dont need heavy editing for that has me less wide eyed than it did when I first saw it.

its going to be fun when the guys who created AI lose their jobs to AI

they thought that writing code was safe but what if code writes itself?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

naem posted:

its going to be fun when the guys who created AI lose their jobs to AI

they thought that writing code was safe but what if code writes itself?

Then we hit singularity, assuming it makes better code. That's a big if.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

When there's enough lovely AI art out in the wild all the generators will start learning from each other's art and I bet it'll settle into an unmistakable style

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Althar posted:

Looking at the completely insane demographics that most western countries now have I don't think unemployment is a thing we will have to worry about for a generation or two.

That is, unless AI learns how to change old people's diapers somehow. If that happens then we are truly hosed.

e: current robot arms + algorithms are just no sensitive enough for something like that. They are just as likely to crush your nuts with 10 tons of pressure as they are to actually change your diaper

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 15, 2024

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SettingSun posted:

When there's enough lovely AI art out in the wild all the generators will start learning from each other's art and I bet it'll settle into an unmistakable style

It kinda already has. Most AI coloring is very over-wrought and over-produced. It seems to have real trouble with simplicity.

naem
May 29, 2011

pixaal posted:

Then we hit singularity, assuming it makes better code. That's a big if.

what if it writes good enough code and instead of 100 humans earning low six figure incomes banging away at keyboards you pay a fee of 1/10th that

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Das Boo posted:

It kinda already has. Most AI coloring is very over-wrought and over-produced. It seems to have real trouble with simplicity.

Agree

Accubitus
Nov 7, 2020

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, anything photorealistic is always high contrast, high saturation, and shallow depth of field. Even if you don't spot any issues at first (they're always there if you look closely) the "style" is very recognizable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And more cartoon or anime stuff always looks uncomfortably glossy and busy as well.

AI has basically shat where it ate at the first possible opportunity by clogging up the entire internet with garbage, everywhere that they can scrape content from is now deluged with poo poo it already made and can't meaningfully distinguish from actual content made by human beings.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Das Boo posted:

some AI can do okay with this if you ask in the style of a courtroom sketch or something. But even that the background is too detailed to actually be a courtroom sketch it just does a good enough job mimicking them and most people haven't seen enough courtroom sketches to tell it's fake.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Althar posted:

I know people who work in the traditional arts who are already losing gigs to AI. There's already a ton of managers and directors who have realised they no longer need to hire an artist to spend days crafting a handful of mock ups for costumes or set design at industry pay scales when they can push a few buttons and make a robot churn out endless variations based on their ideas for free. Sure the results are going to be lovely and nonsensical to some degree but these people genuinely don't care about that, as long as the images fit the vibe and the genre tropes they like it's all good.

The directors at this LA opera company are a perfect example. Why bother hiring costume designers when you can just pump out endless reams of this poo poo and hand them off to your costume department and tell them to just figure it out

https://www.facebook.com/100079892251340/posts/pfbid02WjPNpAgoLaczPAZZAdsA1ijVnLkqB9UP9cCityvK3Eg4aTFsjjmsQYefkuydzSygl/
In this case they eventually backed down completely after online backlash, with the company's executive director posting a very long statement agreeing that AI is bad and promising to be more careful in terms of cultural sensitivity. The production went ahead with extremely traditional and boring costumes.

The play's director was much less apologetic, lol

Of course the real lesson learned here was "If you use AI in pre-prod then for gently caress's sake don't post about it on social media"

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Another issue with the current "AI" is we've already hit the point where eeking out any further performance, accuracy, etc is insanely expensive. It's kind of always been true, but exponential curves feel less exponential early on. At some point going from a model that takes going from identifying a dog to identifying a specific breed costs a few more TPUs to the step for identifying that the dog appears to be a mix of three breeds costing a whole warehouse of them. Basically you eventually, by way of exponentially growing costs, end up at the point where you are trying to get like .1% improvements at the cost of like all of the worlds computing power or creating a dyson sphere so that the same model that tells you the dog looks sad can also tell you the flowers in the background are dry.

Even now the most impressive stuff is like a series of smaller focused models glued together by lots and lots of mundane code that isn't "AI" even in the very loose way people are using it now. If I recall correctly, GPT-4 is actually 8 smaller models glued together rather than like 1 well trained general model. Consumer facing implementations like Chat GPT also use tons of not AI features to hide seams where it fails. One example I've caught doing this is date math where I often get flat answers that won't look even slightly different after huge numbers of retries, which means it's probably some old school expert system type stuff making that specific answer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's funny how we keep seeing this whiplash from people in the 'brand new toy!' phase who hadn't realised everyone else is in the 'this is radioactive garbage' phase.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

If I recall correctly, GPT-4 is actually 8 smaller models glued together rather than like 1 well trained general model.

That's what GPT4o fixes that was just announced. It's an all in one model. Can't wait to see where I can break it.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's funny how we keep seeing this whiplash from people in the 'brand new toy!' phase who hadn't realised everyone else is in the 'this is radioactive garbage' phase.

My favorite part is how it's another litmus test for credulous morons who just double down on their brand new toy phase while everyone else sprains their eyeballs with all the rolling.

Also, no one needs to worry about general purpose AI or sapient machines; the AI we have and anything derivative is a fleecing machine for rubes and VC for the forseeable future.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
not for nothing but i still think it's cool that we went from DeepMind doing weird trippy eyeballs and stuff to SD

just a shame about *waves hands in all other directions*

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Mozi posted:

not for nothing but i still think it's cool that we went from DeepMind doing weird trippy eyeballs and stuff to SD

just a shame about *waves hands in all other directions*

That's the way it always is though with every technology. Like the internet, it's both awesome and terrible all at once.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Althar posted:

I hope an AI artist comes to life and takes over a venture capital funded robot and kicks you in the balls

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Hammerite posted:

I hope an AI artist comes to life and takes over a venture capital funded robot and kicks you in the balls

I agree, that whole statement is the complete opposite of hilarious :psyduck:

Artists have lost opportunities in film, advertising, the creative arts, as a result of AI and I, for one, thinks that's really lovely

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm an animation designer and a looooot of my industry is currently unemployed after carrying TV and film through Covid. Myself included!

I did a big 'ol rant about it in another thread, but it boils down to this: throughout all of history, all times of excess have been accompanied by patronage to the arts. A sacrifice of wealth for the furthering of art. This is the first time in history, when we have the wealthiest people to ever walk the planet, that we've seen such a wideheld agreement to sacrifice art for furthering wealth.

Last I heard, Disney laid off hundreds of artists and in the same breath sunk 900 million into AI. This isn't done to free artists to to independent work (we need to eat), this is done to spend less while taking more of your money.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Hammerite posted:

lol what a freak. Oh boy, can't wait for online arguments :wtc:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I'm an animation designer and a looooot of my industry is currently unemployed after carrying TV and film through Covid. Myself included!

I did a big 'ol rant about it in another thread, but it boils down to this: throughout all of history, all times of excess have been accompanied by patronage to the arts. A sacrifice of wealth for the furthering of art. This is the first time in history, when we have the wealthiest people to ever walk the planet, that we've seen such a wideheld agreement to sacrifice art for furthering wealth.

Last I heard, Disney laid off hundreds of artists and in the same breath sunk 900 million into AI. This isn't done to free artists to to independent work (we need to eat), this is done to spend less while taking more of your money.

Good finally something puts artists in their place. Time to get a real job like prompt engineer.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

kdrudy posted:

And yes, he has a weird cone shaped head,

Oh my God, lol

And oh my God at the article that's from: https://www.dailydot.com/debug/marc-andreessen-hitler/

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

AI sucks. But trying to catch it in logical gotchas is taking potshots at the wrong target. Corps arent going to use it to try and solve a Farmer Chicken Snake Boat puzzle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SettingSun posted:

AI sucks. But trying to catch it in logical gotchas is taking potshots at the wrong target. Corps arent going to use it to try and solve a Farmer Chicken Snake Boat puzzle.

They absolutely are. People are literally treating it like a search engine.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

SettingSun posted:

Bananum

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Kill the farmer, marry the chicken and of course gently caress the snake. Seems pretty easy to me.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Time_pants posted:

I was thinking about this a little while ago. When I was a kid and I saw some version of a common product that was sleek and shiny, I immediately thought that it must be really well made. Today, it instantly sends up red flags and makes me wonder what the stylish presentation is meant to cover up.

30% of Beats By Dre headphones are just metal weights so they feel high quality. Garbage.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Will A.I. Ever Live Up to Its Hype?

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/yMP6QD6c5As?si=9Sz6JFhB-dVH6ZWT

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

lmao

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Das Boo posted:

Given your insider perspective, is AI generated stuff an actual threat to your industry? From what I've seen so far even good AI art has a lot of tells and the low quality stuff is just cringey bs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rad-daddio posted:

Given your insider perspective, is AI generated stuff an actual threat to your industry? From what I've seen so far even good AI art has a lot of tells and the low quality stuff is just cringey bs.

The problem is the money men don't see why anyone would care about this, and think they just have a button that does all the work for them instead of a bunch of people who want to be paid for their work.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The problem is the money men don't see why anyone would care about this, and think they just have a button that does all the work for them instead of a bunch of people who want to be paid for their work.

Right, but at a technical level will it actually take away jobs? I know execs will always favor anything that can replace people, but the consensus seems to be that everyone hates ai generated art.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Berryums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

that at least has ums: Grapefruit