Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Bramble posted:

I’m kind of curious how the thread will land on this one. Personally while I think the OP may have some kind of sorta point about how her family doesn’t like her, she picked the stupidest hill to die on over it and is insufferably whiny and self-absorbed.

My (F30) relatives planned my grandmother's funeral for my birthday. She died months ago and my birthday is this Saturday. How do I navigate this painful feeling?

I think being slightly whiny and self-absorbed is a natural consequence of a family that ignores you and dislikes you. She should skip the funeral and go nc with her lovely family and probably get therapy but I do not blame her in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah. Like I personally wouldn't care if the funeral was on my birthday, but in context of all the other stuff I'm like, why don't you skip the funeral and go to the movies or something?

Mr. Lobe posted:

Can you elaborate on how they hosed themselves, like were there cascading consequences of her walking or did the fold
Nah, they just let her do what she wanted until she eventually left for a better job. She was holding their IT infrastructure together with too little staff and some problematic coworkers, and as I recall, she did get the gratification of former coworkers telling her that everything went to poo poo not long after she left.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 15, 2024

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
had a very similar experience at the office yesterday where the new sales intern at the local division wanted to know why i had a cool office and why i didnt really even have to be in the office and how unfair it was that i take my afternoons at home and its like my homie you are like 19, i work for corporate and all my bosses sit in a boardroom in a completely different state.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

The Bramble posted:

I’m kind of curious how the thread will land on this one. Personally while I think the OP may have some kind of sorta point about how her family doesn’t like her, she picked the stupidest hill to die on over it and is insufferably whiny and self-absorbed.

My (F30) relatives planned my grandmother's funeral for my birthday. She died months ago and my birthday is this Saturday. How do I navigate this painful feeling?

Funerals tend to happen when they happen, taking others important dates into consideration isn't really done.

The post itself is rather self-centred though so it's difficult to interpret if this was malicious in any way from the families point of view. After all she seems to love her grandmother and still resent her for things she said and did, it's a little bizarre. My father comes from a large family (6 brothers) and there was no way my grandparents could dote on us all equally or take us everywhere together, there were that many cousins you couldn't even fit us in the same house at the same time. But I also never once considered where I ranked on the family chart so I suppose these things matter to some people.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Long rambling story with multiple updates in r/BORUpdates, I just wanted to call out one little section near the end.

My Step Dad purposefully ruined my $900 prom dress by washing it! Is there anything I can do such as take legal?

quote:

Also my uncle came back to my house after I texted him my step dad came back (he was at the store) and they got into a big argument where basically my uncle demanded to know why he destroyed the dress

And my step dad said he not gonna walk up in his house demanding poo poo, and my uncle called him a bitch. And then my SD said to call him a bitch again which he did and they ended up fighting. (My SD lost) he threatened to call the cops but we reminded him that he swung first
LOL, get rekt stepdad.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

microwaved coffee the same day is gross as hell imo. it does something to the flavour, i find.
microwaved coffee is fine, it's not the microwave that makes it taste like poo poo. it's that most people leave the burner on for hours and hours, burning the coffee. if you turn the warmer off right after brewing, coffee is fine the next day. it's not like leaving milk out

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wonder what it's like to be an adult, married with children, and get your rear end kicked because you destroyed a girl's dress and picked a fight about it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I don't know why this line made me laugh so hard but it did and I want it to be a thread title:

r/relationships: I contemplated and researched the afterlife.

OP sounds utterly insufferable, no wonder her family doesn't care about her being at the funeral or not.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The Bramble posted:

I feel like this is NAH (at least for this specific situation). They were already waiting months for the ground to thaw, and they've got a big family to schedule around, so I can't really blame them for deciding not to delay further for the sake of someone who by their own accounts isn't close and isn't trying to be close. Equally, I get that why OP is upset, having a funeral and a celebration crossing over is bound to be emotionally tricky, especially when it was already a complicated relationship.

Given the mother's reaction I wonder if the father did consider the birthday, made a difficult decision, and doesn't need to be attacked on it.

OP should probably just not go and drift away from the extended family. Neither party particularly wants to be involved with each other so there's a pretty simple solution to just move on (and get therapy).

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

deported to Canada posted:

Funerals tend to happen when they happen, taking others important dates into consideration isn't really done.

The post itself is rather self-centred though so it's difficult to interpret if this was malicious in any way from the families point of view.

The post states that the funeral is for scattering ashes so it's not like they're scrambling to have an open casket service before the makeup starts to melt. I don't think it's unreasonable for her parents to have remembered her birthday when making plans and at least bring it up with her, but it sounds like she's a very forgotten child.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Quackles posted:

Ferrari has always been like this. The story goes that in or around 1963, Ferruccio Lamborghini (whose business was making tractors at the time) had bought a Ferrari, and had found various minor issues with it after driving it. He decided to tell Enzo Ferrari. Ferrari replied that he didn't want advice from a tractor mechanic.

By the end of 1964, Lamborghini's newly incorporated car company had completed production of its first model of sports car, the Lamborghini 350 GT.

Ferrari even has some models that you can buy, but don't actually own. You pay for it, but they keep it and deliver it to track days for you, wherein you are allowed the privilege of driving your car for a few hours before they take it back.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Halloween Jack posted:

My friend used to work IT at a law firm where the female dress code is skirts and heels, no exceptions. She told them to go gently caress themselves and they did.

If I'm ever in charge of the dress code, it will be that heels are banned. They're the shoe from hell, and they can go burn there.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The_Franz posted:

Ferrari even has some models that you can buy, but don't actually own. You pay for it, but they keep it and deliver it to track days for you, wherein you are allowed the privilege of driving your car for a few hours before they take it back.

I mean, not to defend them, but those are generally non road legal track cars which need a lot of maintenance and poo poo. Probably better not to just hand them out to shithead billionaires and failsons who will almost immediately kill or maim a bunch of kids with their 200mph fireball.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah but Ferrari is just doing it to protect the luxury image of their brand. If anyone who wants one can have a Ferrari, it no longer feels special to the people who buy it specifically because it's in short supply. So to keep that illusion, you limit sales. Birkin bags are the same thing.

And let's be honest, even 'normal' people fall for this poo poo, FOMO as a concept is pretty much born from people who are worried they'll miss a limited release of some luxury item, or miss the next Big Event

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 15, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would almost guarantee boots and a hoodie are not even against the dress code wherever they work

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
This is also part of why fashion brands don't design for bigger people, despite that being more lucrative from a sales perspective. Because many designers *don't want* their designs to be seen on bigger people, they're basically like 'ew that fat person being seen in *my clothes* is going to ruin the image of my brand, which is for young hot people, so no'.

Once a luxury item gets luxe enough, it becomes about making sure that only the people you want to be seen with your items are the ones seen with it because that crafts the mythology of the brand as being For Hot Bitches Only.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 15, 2024

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think being slightly whiny and self-absorbed is a natural consequence of a family that ignores you and dislikes you. She should skip the funeral and go nc with her lovely family and probably get therapy but I do not blame her in the least.

Yea, this is where I'm at, hopefully they can get to a place where it doesn't bother them as much because the family isn't going to change.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The Bramble posted:

Really should have spoilered the age. I can understand being early 20's and being this dramatic about a birthday (not even a milestone one! Nana had the good graces to wait til that had passed!), but jesus..30?

Overall? No one is the rear end in a top hat. Family huge so what, dates have to get made. Yes, it's a bummer to go to a funeral on your b-day.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I spent my 16th birthday at my great-grandpa's funeral. Sucked, but like someone else mentioned, funerals don't tend to be the kind of thing with a lot of wiggle room for scheduling, especially since we actually did have an open-casket service.

It probably helped that I had a family that actually loved me, though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I would almost guarantee boots and a hoodie are not even against the dress code wherever they work

The dress code in their mind is the dress code they abide by, which is whatever ensures they are in compliance and others are not

They just want to be a cop

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I missed my grandma's funeral because they held it very quickly within a couple of days and I was literally at my gate terminal boarding on a flight to France when she died.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Maybe it was an Arnold Rimmer situation where the family sucked and was lovely to her but also she also sucks?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Bobstar posted:

I think that's a different story, but it jangled my brain from the previous thread too. I think it was a younger rockstar creative who the OP decided was a silly little girl wearing dumb non-compliant clothes...and maybe they got fired for making a huge fuss?

E: found it, didn't get fired, but nearly

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3982535&pagenumber=2065&perpage=40#post530181888

drat it I was about to repost that and didn't even realize I was the one who posted it the first time!

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Alternative take - as its a large family getting together maybe all the parents knew that the funeral was going to be highjacked by a bunch of cousins falling over each other to propose to their partners or announce their pregnancies, and of course OP was going to be bleating on about it being her birthday month the whole time.

All the parents wanted to do is get the whole thing over quickly so that they could have their secret family meeting (without their in-laws) in order to discuss go bags.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A particularly egregious golden child/scapegoat story.

AITA Little sister got a new car and I left the party.

quote:

I (17F) and my sister (15F) used to get along great when we were kids. Since I started high school, it feels like she takes all the attention.

Once she started going to my high school she got really popular. What’s annoying is that she acts really stupid and people seem to eat it up. She just giggles and does little dances most the time. I missed my senior prom because I didn’t have a date, and she went with one of the other seniors and hasn’t stopped talking about how much fun it was.

It was recently announced that I am the valedictorian! My Dad decided to have a party to celebrate (our Mom left when we were little). Honestly that felt really good, because even he seems to like my sister more. We’re a sports family, and they’re always a pair on the couch and I’m like the third wheel trying to get their attention. He takes her to the mall to buy clothes all the time, whereas I have to take myself. I go to thrift stores because I don’t like clothes made in sweat shops.

She has her learners permit and soon will be 16 and get her drivers license. When I turned 16 my Aunt gave me her 2015 Nissan Versa which is always breaking down and smells bad because she used to smoke in it. Every time there is a car commercial my sister every time sits on my Dad’s lap like she’s a little kid, and whines she wants a car for her birthday. It makes my eyes roll, but like I said its like I don’t even exist to them sometimes.

My sister’s birthday is also in May, and she is having a sweet 16 party on a rented boat. Mind you I simply had a family get together with cake for my 16th birthday.

Last week was the party at the house to celebrate my achievement, I was having a pretty good time at the start. My sister was up in her room taking forever to get ready, and when she came out I saw she had done everything she could to outdo me. Her hair was curled, her makeup was done, she was in a really revealing fit. Everyone was staring at her and ignoring me. It sucked but I was trying to just focus on my core group of friends. Then as we’re all in the living room, we see through the big window a truck with a trailer pull up. The driver comes unto the door, turns out it’s a BRAND NEW car for my sister from my Dad. She’s crying and jumping around and hugging and kissing my Dad, everyone goes outside to look at the car. When this happens, I went out the back door, turned off my phone, and drove my 9 year old car all alone to the beach to be by myself.

When I came back everyone was so angry and yelling. My Dad said he didn’t know they’d deliver the car during my party. My sister had clearly been crying and said she didn’t mean to hurt my feelings, that she just wants to be a good sister and doesn’t know why I’m sad all the time. I feel so alone. Am I the rear end in a top hat for leaving the party once the car came?
Congrats to OP on making valedictorian, hopefully a decade from now she'll be off and doing well and her parents will be stuck with the spoiled failed-to-launch younger sibling still living at home.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Deformed Church posted:

I mean, not to defend them, but those are generally non road legal track cars which need a lot of maintenance and poo poo. Probably better not to just hand them out to shithead billionaires and failsons who will almost immediately kill or maim a bunch of kids with their 200mph fireball.

You can buy a lot of non-road-legal vehicles, but the manufacturers don't insist on keeping them in their own private garage and only letting you drive it 3 times a year.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah but Ferrari is just doing it to protect the luxury image of their brand. If anyone who wants one can have a Ferrari, it no longer feels special to the people who buy it specifically because it's in short supply. So to keep that illusion, you limit sales. Birkin bags are the same thing.

And let's be honest, even 'normal' people fall for this poo poo, FOMO as a concept is pretty much born from people who are worried they'll miss a limited release of some luxury item, or miss the next Big Event

Remember when discount shoe brand Payless rebranded as 'Palessi' and trolled a bunch of dumbass fashion influencers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpqqKRlqZfU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bobstar posted:

I think that's a different story, but it jangled my brain from the previous thread too. I think it was a younger rockstar creative who the OP decided was a silly little girl wearing dumb non-compliant clothes...and maybe they got fired for making a huge fuss?

E: found it, didn't get fired, but nearly

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3982535&pagenumber=2065&perpage=40#post530181888

Had a hearty :lol: at this part

quote:

I rent my clothes to look at my part. I believe in dress for the job you want.

I just picture a Rent-A-Center/Men's Wearhouse combo where he's like "yeah, I can't believe the audacity...by the way was this suit dry cleaned after the last return?"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Really should have spoilered the age. I can understand being early 20's and being this dramatic about a birthday (not even a milestone one! Nana had the good graces to wait til that had passed!), but jesus..30?

Overall? No one is the rear end in a top hat. Family huge so what, dates have to get made. Yes, it's a bummer to go to a funeral on your b-day.

It's not even the huge family thing getting me, as much as the fact that OP appears to be still holding out hope their relationship with their family will one day improve/they'll just magically start caring more after 30 years of evidence to the contrary.

Honey - if they didn't care about your birthday before, they certainly aren't now. What are you loving expecting.

I am not surprised OP is Southern tho bc this fits the bill for petty Southern family drama per-fect-lyyy. 'Don't say anything, quietly stew, then explode' may as well be on the GA state flag.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

FMguru posted:

A particularly egregious golden child/scapegoat story.

AITA Little sister got a new car and I left the party.

Congrats to OP on making valedictorian, hopefully a decade from now she'll be off and doing well and her parents will be stuck with the spoiled failed-to-launch younger sibling still living at home.

i get weird vibes from the op...the sister never seems to actually do anything. she 'acts dumb', she got popular which is somehow the reason op couldn't go to prom? her dad goes shopping with her but the phrasing of "i actually dont like clothes from sweatshops" seems to imply her disinviting herself and not ever initiating her preferred activity...the sister had a boat party and she didn't, but was that because she wasn't allowed? certainly seems like the dad is thoughtlessly favoring the younger sister because she's more outgoing and has more in common with her, but the shock and horror they seemed to react with doesn't match up with your typical "shut up stop complaining" golden child stuff.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I sometimes feel I'm living in another dimension because I've never in my entire very large extended social and family circle known anyone who has:
-Had a gender reveal party.
-Proposed in front of anyone other than their partner let alone made a big event out of it.
-Announced a pregnancy at an event or even really made a big deal about it besides simply telling people they're close to.
-Had a bad wedding.
-Had any sort of social or family drama that involved people "blowing up their phone"

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Baronjutter posted:

I sometimes feel I'm living in another dimension because I've never in my entire very large extended social and family circle known anyone who has:
-Had a gender reveal party.
-Proposed in front of anyone other than their partner let alone made a big event out of it.
-Announced a pregnancy at an event or even really made a big deal about it besides simply telling people they're close to.
-Had a bad wedding.
-Had any sort of social or family drama that involved people "blowing up their phone"

Yeah same

I guess most of the people I know are pretty chill. Even my buddy Torkbuzz nowadays

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

THIRTY EIGHT YEARS OLD

Don’t stress about what she’s wearing, she can’t have long left

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

StrangersInTheNight posted:

why the gently caress do people even care about how you're 'damaging the reputation of the business'. it's not like if the business does well, you're seeing a single goddamn penny - the reward you get for working so hard to keep the company open is getting to keep the job you have right now, and that's it.

it's like when someone is all weird about spending company money - I just don't get it. it's not your money! you should literally only ever care about this if a part of your job description to give a poo poo about how much the company spends. everyone else is just being a free corpo cop who is crab bucketing for their worker-time-thievin' cheap-rear end bosses.

I was working at a nuclear waste disposal site many years ago and we had a new CEO come in and demand that we replace all the lab coats and hard hats on site because they had old branding on and it might "confuse the clients". Never mind that we had exactly one client (the government) and doing this generated about a half ton of low level waste that needed disposal. A load more work for just no benefit.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I missed my grandma's funeral because they held it very quickly within a couple of days and I was literally at my gate terminal boarding on a flight to France when she died.

I missed my grandmother's funeral because I was in America when she died, and my insane aunt tried to have me deported.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I spent my 16th birthday at my great-grandpa's funeral. Sucked, but like someone else mentioned, funerals don't tend to be the kind of thing with a lot of wiggle room for scheduling, especially since we actually did have an open-casket service.

It probably helped that I had a family that actually loved me, though.

My thirteenth birthday was at my great uncles funeral surrounded by a bunch of people I didn't know but were very happy I was there as a distraction.

G1mby posted:

I was working at a nuclear waste disposal site many years ago and we had a new CEO come in and demand that we replace all the lab coats and hard hats on site because they had old branding on and it might "confuse the clients". Never mind that we had exactly one client (the government) and doing this generated about a half ton of low level waste that needed disposal. A load more work for just no benefit.

Our company spun off from our parent company and when our new ceos came round to visit we had to hide all our old branded swag. Even though they also had previously worked for the old company.

No far better for them to think we don't actually have mousepads or something.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

KoRMaK posted:

microwaved coffee is fine, it's not the microwave that makes it taste like poo poo. it's that most people leave the burner on for hours and hours, burning the coffee. if you turn the warmer off right after brewing, coffee is fine the next day. it's not like leaving milk out

My coffee maker is a vacuum flask that keeps the coffee warm for hours without needing a heating plate. Saves electricity and doesn't burn your coffee.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Farg posted:

i get weird vibes from the op...the sister never seems to actually do anything. she 'acts dumb', she got popular which is somehow the reason op couldn't go to prom? her dad goes shopping with her but the phrasing of "i actually dont like clothes from sweatshops" seems to imply her disinviting herself and not ever initiating her preferred activity...the sister had a boat party and she didn't, but was that because she wasn't allowed? certainly seems like the dad is thoughtlessly favoring the younger sister because she's more outgoing and has more in common with her, but the shock and horror they seemed to react with doesn't match up with your typical "shut up stop complaining" golden child stuff.
The fifteen year old bouncing excitedly on her dad's lap whenever a car commercial came on is a pretty :raise: detail, as is the dad's claim that the car just happened to show up at the exact time of the OP's valedictorian celebration (car deliveries don't just happen at random times, those things are usually very tightly scheduled, and for obvious reasons).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The Bramble posted:

I'm on OPs side, I know from my own experience that after a lifetime of being steamrollered by family, you get really aware of just about all the ways your needs are disregarded, in both big and little things.
Grandma is ashes.
She's shelf-stable.
She can be buried any time.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I worked (very briefly) for an investment bank. My boss sprained (broke? Not sure) her ankle and insisted on wearing a high heel on the not-in-a-cast foot so as not to be visibly out of uniform.

Should have drawn a 👠 on the cast and just worn a nice comfy shoe on the other foot

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 15, 2024

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The Bramble posted:

Your family are Alabama people. you moved to NYC. You're like, turbo-dead to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

FMguru posted:

The fifteen year old bouncing excitedly on her dad's lap whenever a car commercial came on is a pretty :raise: detail, as is the dad's claim that the car just happened to show up at the exact time of the OP's valedictorian celebration (car deliveries don't just happen at random times, those things are usually very tightly scheduled, and for obvious reasons).
I’m sure the dad knew it was happening and just was expecting OP to just play along and pretend it’s all fine; OP’s disappearing blew that plan up and helped spotlight for other attendees just how lovely it was.

Another noticeable detail is that the dad’s reaction was only an excuse/apology for the timing - not the actual purchase or difference in how he’s treating his kids.