Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

FMguru posted:

The fifteen year old bouncing excitedly on her dad's lap whenever a car commercial came on is a pretty :raise: detail, as is the dad's claim that the car just happened to show up at the exact time of the OP's valedictorian celebration (car deliveries don't just happen at random times, those things are usually very tightly scheduled, and for obvious reasons).

"Sorry we missed you! Your car has been left in [blue recycling bin]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Question for Sancho: is it widely understood in Israel that the IOF caused some/many of the October 7th deaths? And it’s just verboten to talk about? Or do people not even realize?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Question for Sancho: is it widely understood in Israel that the IOF caused some/many of the October 7th deaths? And it’s just verboten to talk about? Or do people not even realize?

ESH

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
White collar dipshit tries to dunk on hardworking blue collar person, finds out the hard way just how lucrative being a handworking blue collar person can be.

AITA for throwing how much my husband makes in my brother's face after my brother insulted his career?

quote:

I, F27, come from a family of white-collar career people. My Dad 60M owns his own business and my mom 57F is a pediatric surgeon. My older brother M30 is a lawyer and loves to boast about how much money he makes. He is always buying new watches and expensive suits. He also drives a Porsche and is engaged to who will be his third wife.

I've always been more introverted than my brother and I tend to fade into the background. I created and operate my own business and make a more than decent living. My husband is a master electrician, and he owns a very successful business, he makes more than 3x what I do. We are a DINK couple (Double Income, No Kids); however, we keep our income very lowkey and don't spend money like my brother does. My parents are aware of how much my husband makes because we paid for their 35th wedding anniversary getaway and my dad saw the price tag.

We were at Mother's Day on Sunday, and both my brother and I bought nice things for our mother as gifts. He bought her jewelry and I got her a certificate for several hand massages at a spa near the hospital she works at. My mother thanked us, and my brother decided that it would be a good time to brag about how much the necklace cost, looking at my husband and joking about how he could never afford to buy a necklace like the one he got my mother. How my husband could never afford anything on an electrician's wage. He carried on like that until I had enough of him insulting my partner, who worked harder than my brother to get where he's at.

I yelled at my brother to shut up, and that my husband easily makes twice what he does and that he should sit his rear end down and be more respectful. "Mother's Day is about mom, not you." were my exact words. After my brother left, soon after I snapped at him, I apologized to my mom, and we went on to have a wonderful dinner, where mom told my husband embarrassing stories about me when I was little.

My husband thanked me for standing up for him and my mom told me she had a lovely night while we were on the phone yesterday and told me she used some of the money on the certificate to get her wrists and fingers massaged after a 10 hour surgery, she told me she was very happy with my gift. My brother's fiancee sent me a tirade of texts blasting me for embarrassing him in front of our parents and calling me an rear end in a top hat. I feel bad for causing drama but happy I stood up for my husband. AITA?
LOL, eat poo poo bro.

I like the fact that no one is standing up for the brother, no one is telling OP she went too far and needs to apologize, and her phone isn't blowing up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FMguru posted:

The fifteen year old bouncing excitedly on her dad's lap whenever a car commercial came on is a pretty :raise: detail, as is the dad's claim that the car just happened to show up at the exact time of the OP's valedictorian celebration (car deliveries don't just happen at random times, those things are usually very tightly scheduled, and for obvious reasons).

Yeah the whole situation is pretty, uh, strange

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Had a hearty :lol: at this part

I just picture a Rent-A-Center/Men's Wearhouse combo where he's like "yeah, I can't believe the audacity...by the way was this suit dry cleaned after the last return?"

One of the things people should learn in a corporate job is that if someone noticeably stands out or is treated different, there is a reason. Could be good, could be bad, but find out why before stirring poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Moose posted:

Your family are Alabama people. you moved to NYC. You're like, turbo-dead to them.

No day will work for everyone. This day mildly inconveniences a long-lost cousin no one has laid eyes on in years. She might not even bother to come, after all, she didn't bother to visit Nana before she died.

They needed a Saturday (the day most people are available) in May (the month when the ground thaws). Of the 4 dates that qualify each of them probably inconvenienced someone. Having it on her birthday is a relatively minor inconvenience. Ruining a little kid's birthday would be bad, but "ruining" a grown rear end adult's birthday is barely anything. It isn't like she's missing out on cake and balloons.

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

by Pragmatica

FMguru posted:

A particularly egregious golden child/scapegoat story.

AITA Little sister got a new car and I left the party.

:trumppop:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I thought it was a "she", so I assumed Rent The Runway was involved.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

The_Franz posted:

Remember when discount shoe brand Payless rebranded as 'Palessi' and trolled a bunch of dumbass fashion influencers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpqqKRlqZfU

no, but I do remember when Panera release a purse called The Baguette (that perfectly fits one of their sandwiches) and it became a viral must-have item simply bc it was difficult to get:

https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/press/press-room/panera-launches-the-ultimate-accessory-introducing-the-baguette.html

https://www.glamour.com/story/panera-baguette-bag

we live in a world where people have FOMO re: sandwich purses created by fast food chains. They timed the release with New York Fashion Week and it became one of the 'It' items of the week :psyduck:

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 15, 2024

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

The Bramble posted:

I’m kind of curious how the thread will land on this one. Personally while I think the OP may have some kind of sorta point about how her family doesn’t like her, she picked the stupidest hill to die on over it and is insufferably whiny and self-absorbed.

My (F30) relatives planned my grandmother's funeral for my birthday. She died months ago and my birthday is this Saturday. How do I navigate this painful feeling?

Jesus h this person is just so unlikeable

Any point they may have once had is really just buried by how self-centred they are being about this whole situation.

Her poor dad isn't going to be feeling the best right now, funerals and family things can be difficult to navigate and she doesn't really know what conversations happened.

Fair play to her if she doesn't attend, but she could maybe think about her dad a bit more in this and extend him some grace, drat.

CitizenKain posted:

One of the things people should learn in a corporate job is that if someone noticeably stands out or is treated different, there is a reason. Could be good, could be bad, but find out why before stirring poo poo.

I don't understand these stories where people open their gob holes about a situation they don't understand, and then become all surprised that there are consequences. Also just as baffling is giving a hot gently caress about corporate uniform. What a narc lol

Why do people in these stories lack curiosity, I areas just blasting their opinions into the world. Like you say, there's usually a reason why things are the way they are. Understand it and act accordingly.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

we live in a world where people have FOMO re: sandwich purses created by fast food chains. They timed the release with New York Fashion Week and it became one of the 'It' items of the week :psyduck:

I don't remember the sandwich purse but I do remember Panera releasing a line of swimsuits themed after their soups. Literally a green one piece that says SOUP in big letters on the front.

it was sold out before I could buy one :negative:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
gently caress, I want a SOUP swimsuit.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Ask a manager!

my coworker stabs office furniture with a knife and no one thinks it’s a big deal

quote:

I am dealing with a bizarre situation at work and could use some advice on how to proceed.

My coworker, Charlie, has several concerning habits involving the lighter and several utility knives he carries around on a daily basis. When we’re in team meetings or things are slow in the lab, Charlie will do a few things: pull out a piece of leather and hone his knives, loudly and repeatedly flick his lighter on and flip the lid over the flame to put it out, shred pieces of paper with one of his knives (leaving a huge mess he rarely picks up), or use one of his knives to stab and/or whittle at whatever chair, wall, or table is nearest. He does this in plain view of anyone who’s around.

I am a relative newcomer to this team; almost everyone else has worked with Charlie for years and seems accustomed to what they refer to as his quirks. (I’ve been on this team for three months, but at the company for almost three years.)

My team spends a great deal of time doing work in a shared lab space. There are tables, chairs, and computers in the labs that everyone has to use. The few times I’ve been working with Charlie, he’ll whip out his knives and violently stab the arms of the chair he’s sitting in. One time I asked him what he was doing, and he laughed and said that the chair “had a pimple” he was fixing.

Recently he’s taken to shredding several sheets of paper onto the keyboard of the lab computer my team shares and leaving the mess for whoever uses the keyboard next. He used a knife to nick the entire edge of the computer desk, leaving sharp little plastic spikes sticking up where people usually rest their wrists. In meetings sometimes he will often wander around just outside the conference room cubicle, stab the walls, and shout over the wall when he’s asked a question.

I’ve asked several of my teammates about Charlie and his strange behavior and every single one has brushed it off and said something along the lines of “that’s just Charlie.”

Other than his scary habits, he seems to care deeply about his work and is cheerful and friendly with everyone. More than once, he’s been recognized by management for outstanding work, and generally people seem to like him. He never damages anything other than office furniture and paper as far as I’ve seen.

It makes me really, really uncomfortable sitting near him when he’s engaging in this behavior, having to use furniture that he’s damaged, and cleaning up piles of paper scraps that everyone else ignores. I’m even more uncomfortable talking to Charlie about his habits directly, given his strange response the last time I spoke up.

The way my team brushes of Charlie’s weird habits is making me feel like I’m crazy for having a problem with Charlie. I know there are some problems with my team; a former teammate, John, was reassigned due to anger issues and my several of my coworkers have said very mean and inappropriate things about the person who reported John for yelling and throwing chairs. I’m strongly considering talking to HR and my boss, but Charlie is inexplicably well liked, I’m afraid of retaliation from my team. What else can I do here?

The reply advice starts with a bewildered "What."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At least he's not wearing a hoodie.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

Solenna posted:

Ask a manager!

my coworker stabs office furniture with a knife and no one thinks it’s a big deal

I worked in a lab-type space for a while, there was my desk and another shared desk that various people would use. One morning I came in to find an honestly pretty large pocket knife stabbed into the cardboard glass waste container. It was just too creepy to leave there, so I hid it in the back of a common drawer full of old junk figuring I'd give it back to the owner if they asked for it and swear I'd never seen it before if anyone randomly chanced across it.

I had a suspicion about who had left it there, honestly wonder if it's the same guy...

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Farg posted:

i get weird vibes from the op...the sister never seems to actually do anything. she 'acts dumb', she got popular which is somehow the reason op couldn't go to prom? her dad goes shopping with her but the phrasing of "i actually dont like clothes from sweatshops" seems to imply her disinviting herself and not ever initiating her preferred activity...the sister had a boat party and she didn't, but was that because she wasn't allowed? certainly seems like the dad is thoughtlessly favoring the younger sister because she's more outgoing and has more in common with her, but the shock and horror they seemed to react with doesn't match up with your typical "shut up stop complaining" golden child stuff.

I get that too, what stands out to me from all the similar stories like this one is that at no point does the OP ever mention that they have ever, you know, actually ASKED for anything. You normally see something like "I asked for a car and dad said that money was tight but then a new Porche showed up for my sister and I was called a brat for being upset" type things.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
that AAM op works in the third period detention room of high school from the sounds of it. surprised Charlie isn't just cutting class to go to McDonald's and draw graffiti in their bathroom instead

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

AceClown posted:

I get that too, what stands out to me from all the similar stories like this one is that at no point does the OP ever mention that they have ever, you know, actually ASKED for anything. You normally see something like "I asked for a car and dad said that money was tight but then a new Porche showed up for my sister and I was called a brat for being upset" type things.

I don't come from a family where the kids were getting gifted cars or whatever so I don't know how normal that is, I would have been ecstatic if someone gave me a car, let alone one that was half my age, even from a smoker. But it's still lovely parenting to treat one kid like a princess and the other one like an afterthought, and "oh but you were always so quiet and never asked for anything, we always figured you preferred taking care of yourself" is a very common excuse for bad parents when they finally get called out on that

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

boofhead posted:

I don't come from a family where the kids were getting gifted cars or whatever so I don't know how normal that is, I would have been ecstatic if someone gave me a car, let alone one that was half my age, even from a smoker. But it's still lovely parenting to treat one kid like a princess and the other one like an afterthought, and "oh but you were always so quiet and never asked for anything, we always figured you preferred taking care of yourself" is a very common excuse for bad parents when they finally get called out on that

Upper/middle class suburban families it's extremely common to get a car that's 1-5 years old, whether you need it or not, when you're 16. So much so kids are often ostracized in the nicer suburbs if they didn't get a car, and high schools have parking lots that have enough capacity for basically every single kid.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There are some parents who you learn not to ask for things from/make noise at. Because the answer is always no and it's always a disappointment, so why bother. Asking never gets you what you want or need. So I don't think "they didn't ask for a car" stands out as weird,

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Chewbecca posted:

Jesus h this person is just so unlikeable

Any point they may have once had is really just buried by how self-centred they are being about this whole situation.

Her poor dad isn't going to be feeling the best right now, funerals and family things can be difficult to navigate and she doesn't really know what conversations happened.

Fair play to her if she doesn't attend, but she could maybe think about her dad a bit more in this and extend him some grace, drat.

Yeah, I'm in the 'her Dad sounds reasonable, she sounds insufferable and self-centered' camp. He picked a weekend that worked in a large family that probably has some conflict on any given weekend. It happens to overlap with her birthday but she wasn't even close to this relative and didn't visit before her death, and she's out of 'birthdays are a huge deal' era and with a large family, it's possible that every Saturday in May is within a week of someone's birthday, anniversary, or other milestone event.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Cyberpunk~!

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Yeah, I'm in the 'her Dad sounds reasonable, she sounds insufferable and self-centered' camp. He picked a weekend that worked in a large family that probably has some conflict on any given weekend. It happens to overlap with her birthday but she wasn't even close to this relative and didn't visit before her death, and she's out of 'birthdays are a huge deal' era and with a large family, it's possible that every Saturday in May is within a week of someone's birthday, anniversary, or other milestone event.

The more I think about it I can see why the mother said don't bother your father with this poo poo. It must have been awful to hear words along the line of "I can't believe you are choosing to say goodbye to your own dead mother on a day that is supposed to be all about me, she didn't even like me, I bet you are all doing this on purpose".

I think I'd say "don't come" too.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Darn, I missed the Band Of Brothers talk. I rarely ever hear anyone talk about The Pacific.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I kinda thought Dad sounded unreasonable in the Disney story. Grandma said "don't come on this day, I won't be home" but Dad decided to "surprise" her so she would have to cut the outing short, making everyone miserable. And then blamed it on Grandma for not being there when they turned up out of the blue on the day she told them not to come?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

wheatpuppy posted:

I kinda thought Dad sounded unreasonable in the Disney story. Grandma said "don't come on this day, I won't be home" but Dad decided to "surprise" her so she would have to cut the outing short, making everyone miserable. And then blamed it on Grandma for not being there when they turned up out of the blue on the day she told them not to come?

Yeah I feel like that whole family's probably a bunch of assholes

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Darn, I missed the Band Of Brothers talk. I rarely ever hear anyone talk about The Pacific.

Band of Brothers is an incredibly moving, powerful piece of media and I will never, ever watch it again. Someone upthread said that people who like war films are sociopaths, but I think BoB is pretty much the antithesis of that.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I think OP has had a long time of her family treating things related to her as unimportant. She’s just mirroring what she was taught by her family.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Band of Brothers is an incredibly moving, powerful piece of media and I will never, ever watch it again. Someone upthread said that people who like war films are sociopaths, but I think BoB is pretty much the antithesis of that.

when I'm watching band of brothers I constantly think like "wow this looks so cool I wish I could be there" and things of that nature because that's definitely the kind of show it is

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

You should check out the milhist thread, WW2 Pacific theater comes up often, sometimes in a broad historical sense but sometimes looking at individuals or comparing movies and shows with real life. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3950461

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

The Bramble posted:

I’m kind of curious how the thread will land on this one. Personally while I think the OP may have some kind of sorta point about how her family doesn’t like her, she picked the stupidest hill to die on over it and is insufferably whiny and self-absorbed.

My (F30) relatives planned my grandmother's funeral for my birthday. She died months ago and my birthday is this Saturday. How do I navigate this painful feeling?
But then my fiance and I went to dinner a week early to celebrate, and my parents didn't even wish me a happy birthday. They didn't send a card. I asked why. My mother replied, "Isn't your birthday next Saturday? We'll celebrate you on May 20 when we are all together in your city."
Huh??? You're upset your parents didn't wish you happy birthday a week early?

I also don't get "my grandma said I'm too ugly for modelling but I still love her"

:therapy:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

All I know about WW2 is that Cotton Hill killed fiddy men.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

PancakeTransmission posted:

Huh??? You're upset your parents didn't wish you happy birthday a week early?

I also don't get "my grandma said I'm too ugly for modelling but I still love her"

:therapy:

Going into the comments it looks like grandma favored her daughters and their children over her son.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Be wary of anyone who really, really likes WW2 military history I always say

BoB is mostly a story about divine male love, and a reluctant hero/leader

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Lol, someone else about to blow up their family:

I (34M) did a paternity test on my toddler son. Results were…confusing. Should I ask my brother (32M) to also take a paternity test?!

quote:

As the title says…what should i do?? Do i try to get my brother to also do a paternity test ?!?Should i dare question they secretively had an affair?!

Results said: “The alleged father cannot be excluded as the biological father of the tested child. A single STR locus does not match, which may be due to mutation. The possibility exists that a direct relative of the alleged father could not be excluded as the biological father. The probability of such event is indicated by the combined first order index, which equals 2,358 with a corresponding probability of 99.95761633%.”

• My wife has black hair with brown eyes
  • I have black/brown hair with brown eyes
  • Our son has dirty blonde hair with blue eyes
  • My brother has dirty blonde hair with blue/green eyes
  • My brother is also married and his wife is blonde with blue eyes and they have their own kid that has blonde hair and blue eyes.

Blonde hair and blue eyes run in both of my family and my wife’s. It just so happens that my wife and i are dark featured

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a name for the kind of manipulation where a husband says something kind of demeaning to his wife and then she says “Would you mind not saying that to me? I find it kind of demeaning.” And he blows up and shouts “WELL I GUESS YOU DONT WANT ME TO SAY ANYTHING AT ALL AROUND YOU, THEN!” ?

It isn’t quite weaponized incompetence, but rather more like pretending, in bad faith, that the other persons position is much more extreme than it actually is and acting wounded by it, to get them to apologize and abandon their position.

I’ve seen it in a bunch of these posts.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's called having a tantrum.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

Nebrilos posted:

Is there a name for the kind of manipulation where a husband says something kind of demeaning to his wife and then she says “Would you mind not saying that to me? I find it kind of demeaning.” And he blows up and shouts “WELL I GUESS YOU DONT WANT ME TO SAY ANYTHING AT ALL AROUND YOU, THEN!” ?

It isn’t quite weaponized incompetence, but rather more like pretending, in bad faith, that the other persons position is much more extreme than it actually is and acting wounded by it, to get them to apologize and abandon their position.

I’ve seen it in a bunch of these posts.

DARVO! To quote google because I'm lazy and it works: Deny, attack, and reverse victim and offender (DARVO) is a tactic a person may use to deflect responsibility onto an individual they have abused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

DreamingofRoses posted:

Lol, someone else about to blow up their family:

I (34M) did a paternity test on my toddler son. Results were…confusing. Should I ask my brother (32M) to also take a paternity test?!

Is that saying there is a 99% chance a male relative is the child’s father? I am definitely having trouble following that statement.