Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That rattle snake never watched band of brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

FMguru posted:

Another story on the classic template -

A: "If you do [THING], it's over"
B: Does [THING] "Whadaya mean, it's over?!?"

AITAH for leaving my fiancee after I learned there were strippers at her bachelorette party?

Dude sounds like a bit of a drip, but breaking the one boundary he set and (more importantly) trying to brazenly lie her way through it after getting caught means that OP did the right thing by pulling the plug.

lol one of my partner's good friends had her 40th a year or two ago, and another good friend in the group got her a stripper as a joke (the first friend had pranked the second with a stripper at her 18th bday party 20ish years ago). Apparently dude showed up and did like 2 dances and then a room full of 30-40yo progressive women all felt really skeezy and were like "thanks that was great here's your money goodbye!" & proceeded to have a rager minus the stripper

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Ominous Jazz posted:

oh lemme be clear this dude sucks and killed an animal because he wanted to, not because it posed danger. he got to do violence and he's mad he's not being celebrated for it

Ah, I misread, apologies.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Whorelord posted:

AITAH for eliminating a rattle snake after it threatened my niece and nephew?

Posted by Reddit user "Snakemaster2002"

what a loving psycho. snakes scare the poo poo out of me but i've come across them multiple times hiking and they're just trying to do their thing & get a nice nap in the sun. Doesn't matter if it's a garter snake or a rattlesnake, share the trail. They generally don't want to be around you, either

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024

idiotsavant posted:

what a loving psycho. snakes scare the poo poo out of me but i've come across them multiple times hiking and they're just trying to do their thing & get a nice nap in the sun. Doesn't matter if it's a garter snake or a rattlesnake, share the trail. They generally don't want to be around you, either

I actually rather like the idea of a rattlesnake, in that they are the snake famous for striking only after warning. It's depressing to think that hunting for the rattles is naturally selecting rattlers without actual rattles.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

NTA. The six year old nephew was on the upper age range of people the OP has any hope of impressing so he had to take the opportunity as it arose or lose it forever.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

DreamingofRoses posted:

Lol, someone else about to blow up their family:

I (34M) did a paternity test on my toddler son. Results were…confusing. Should I ask my brother (32M) to also take a paternity test?!

Plot twist. He's a genetic chimera, and his balls have different genetic coding than his blood, or saliva, or whatever.

Congrats, you're a freak!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Whorelord posted:

gently caress this dude. I’m an avid hiker and I’ve ran into dozens of rattlesnakes. They just want to chill, they will leave you alone if you leave them alone. It wasn’t even rattling. The most I’ve ever had to do is kick dirt at one because it was laying longways on the trail. It just slithered off. His actions were completely unnecessary.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That rattle snake never watched band of brothers

And now, because of this rear end in a top hat, it never will.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
i know farmers who find rattlesnakes in their vineyards and their general solution is: get a shovel, pick the snake up, and go toss it somewhere else that isn't the vineyard, which seems a lot braver than murdering it with a rock

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Plot twist. He's a genetic chimera, and his balls have different genetic coding than his blood, or saliva, or whatever.

Congrats, you're a freak!

Well it’s a telegraphed twist. Didn’t it say “Absent a mutation”?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

surf rock posted:

is this fanfiction of Daria and Quinn
Jake has a lot of faults, but not like this!

Troublemaker posted:

I (30F) might've met my husband's (37M) mistress... Are these red flags?
I feel bad for both of them if it turns out she just met her husband's stalker.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Jake has a lot of faults, but not like this!

I feel bad for both of them if it turns out she just met her husband's stalker.

Honestly that's the first thing I thought of too.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Hughlander posted:

AITA for spending my son's university fund on a trip to Europe to drink beer like I always threatened instead of giving it to his step brother after he passed away.

:therapy: but get hosed ex wife you vulture.

I mean, she's not wrong, and there IS a good compromise here.

If you close the RESP, you have to return the government contributions (could be up to $9k), and you have to pay taxes on a crapton of it's growth.

What you could do is transfer the RESP to the stepbrother, and ask his ex-wife to pay the husband what he would have gotten had he just cashed it out. That way the ex-wife/stepbrother is ahead at least a few thousand, and the husband has the same amount that he 'ought to have gotten had he just cashed out. Or hell, demand slightly more than what you could cash out, and everyone is ahead money.

Like, I get the symbology of what he's doing, and by all rights he's allowed to do it. It's just he's making an emotional decision and giving money to the government, which instead could be given to the ex-wife/stepbrother (or as mentioned, could be used to get a bit more ahead). And you can still use it to go get beer. I appreciate that my solution may not be popular.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I mean, she's not wrong, and there IS a good compromise here.

If you close the RESP, you have to return the government contributions (could be up to $9k), and you have to pay taxes on a crapton of it's growth.

What you could do is transfer the RESP to the stepbrother, and ask his ex-wife to pay the husband what he would have gotten had he just cashed it out. That way the ex-wife/stepbrother is ahead at least a few thousand, and the husband has the same amount that he 'ought to have gotten had he just cashed out. Or hell, demand slightly more than what you could cash out, and everyone is ahead money.

Like, I get the symbology of what he's doing, and by all rights he's allowed to do it. It's just he's making an emotional decision and giving money to the government, which instead could be given to the ex-wife/stepbrother (or as mentioned, could be used to get a bit more ahead). I appreciate that my solution may not be popular.

I think it's a great elegant solution and lol if you think his ex would give him a dime for donating his dead son's college fund to an unrelated kid

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
It's cathartic to think that, but I didn't get the impression that she's vindictive, and the "decent enough husband" might be able to convince her.

Either way, I feel better writing that out. I can't say I wouldn't follow the same path as the grieving father.

Edit: stepbrother hand halfbrother are two separate things, durr

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 16, 2024

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
AITA for sending a venmo request for babysitter, hotel and uber reimbursement after a dry wedding?

quote:

A friend from college got married this past weekend. The wedding was 45 minutes from my house so my wife and I got a hotel room. We checked in, had a few pregame cocktails, and we ubered from the hotel to the venue.

We sit down, wedding happens, its beautiful. We get to "social hour' as its called and there is no booze. Turns out this was a dry wedding. There was no indication that this was a dry wedding before showing up. I checked the digital version of the invite and website. Nothing indicating this.

I'm pissed for a few reasons.

1. I might not have RSVP'd yes if I knew this.

2. I'm pissed i blew a few hundred bucks on a hotel for the night, babysitters, and ubers.

I'm like what the gently caress. Other friends that were their were grumbling and felt similar to me. The night went on and the wedding was fine but honestly a bit of a bummer. Now that my wife and I have kids, nights like this are rare, and I was pumped to do something. So we dipped out a bit early and went out. Other friends rolled with. We left in the middle of the dancing time and didn't stay for the exit.

Later that night, I sent a venmo request for the cost of babysitter, hotel, and ubers.

Yesterday, I heard from my college buddy. He was like what the gently caress is this rear end in a top hat. I explained I was mad that this was a dry wedding. The bride had family that are alcoholics so they opted to not have alcohol as an option. I told him thats need to know information. Not informing us of that cost me and our other friends a lot of money. He said I should have asked him and not assumed it was a wet wedding. I said to him, alcohol is a default option, if you change the default you tell people. He disagreed with that notion. I said you drink, why would I think its dry? We went back and forth for a while. He still thinks i'm an rear end in a top hat. Am I?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Chewbecca posted:

That town was pretty though, if I ever came back to America I'd want to see it in person, assuming it exists

Star's Hollow isn't real, but it's basically "Generic New England Small Town."

My GF watches a lot of Gilmore Girls, and I think that's why she's in love with my hometown. It's in VT, not CT, but it's about the same population (maybe a little more, I'm not sure they ever give Star's Hollow's population but I'd have to guess it's like...2-3k? My hometown was around 4k when I was a kid, closer to 6k now*.)

But it has a beautiful park/town green at the center of town with a gazebo...the town hall literally across the street from that, a couple of small diners/cafes.

And while it's not within commuting distance of an Ivy League college, it is only like 10-15 minutes from Middlebury College, which has the same energy as Yale.

*Fake edit: I looked it up and I guess Star's Hollow is supposed to be closer to 10k? DEFINTELY doesn't seem that big, but I blame that on Hollywood Writers thinking a city of 100k is a "small town", so therefore being a whole order of magnitude smaller than that is basically a podunk nothing-burg.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for sending a venmo request for babysitter, hotel and uber reimbursement after a dry wedding?

i'm not an alcoholic i just am throwing a temper tantrum about not drinking for approximately 8 hours

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ominous Jazz posted:

i'm not an alcoholic i just am throwing a temper tantrum about not drinking for approximately 8 hours
He threw a tantrum about going 90-120 minutes without a drink, after "a few pregame cocktails."

The wedding was a 45 minute drive from his house, so he got a hotel room and Ubered to the venue from there. Because it's unthinkable to attend a wedding without getting completely hosed up.

(If I expect an open bar 2 or 3 hours from now, I'm not buying a few cocktails at the hotel bar. I guess I'm just stingy.)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Kurieg posted:

Here's someone pete-ing out from some absolutely monstrous parents.
AITA for telling my parents they need to find an alternative solution for long term care for my disabled siblings because I will not be the solution?

There's a lot of hosed up stuff in this, but I think preventing your kid from getting an education is technically child abuse?

Halloween Jack posted:

Their entire existence up to this point has been child abuse and they're finally free.
Fair point

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 16, 2024

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

AKA Pseudonym posted:

ESH

Dry wedding should absolutely be communicated ahead of time.

Sending a venmo as a tantrum is such a lovely passive aggressive loser thing to do.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

There's a lot of hosed up stuff in this, but I think preventing your kid from getting an education is technically child abuse?
Their entire existence up to this point has been child abuse and they're finally free.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
more and more of my friends are getting sober* as I'm getting older and the idea of getting this mad about not being able to drink for such a small amount of time is real sad. like what kind of reputation do you think you're coming out of this with

*or california sober at least

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023

kdrudy posted:

ESH

Sending a venmo as a tantrum is such a lovely passive aggressive loser thing to do.

They probably didn't communicate it ahead of time because they were afraid shitheads like the OP would bring their own booze.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

cheat at solitaire posted:

They probably didn't communicate it ahead of time because they were afraid shitheads like the OP would bring their own booze.

Should still be communicated ahead of time.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

kdrudy posted:

Should still be communicated ahead of time.

i don't think there's a reason you could give that doesn't look bad

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Whorelord posted:

very glad this dude's getting poo poo on in the comments ngl

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ominous Jazz posted:

*or california sober at least

Is that "might have a glass of wine a couple of times a year" or "wine doesn't count and they drink that like water?" I've heard both.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Is that "might have a glass of wine a couple of times a year" or "wine doesn't count and they drink that like water?" I've heard both.

it’s weed, op

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

I'm not judging good or bad, the reality is that it's important info for people to know.

I don't even drink so I don't care, but to act like it's not a thing people care about is silly.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I thought it was doesn’t drink but smokes pot

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Ominous Jazz posted:

Managing expectations and establishing the tone of the event?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it’s weed, op

Oh. I'm in Portland so we just call that weed.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

super looking forward to the next few pages of dry wedding chat

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Ominous Jazz posted:

I don't drink anymore (former alcoholic) and while this dude is a petty shithead and a bad friend I can't peg him as an alcoholic because his attitude was that this wedding would be a rare chance to have a night out with the wife and drink for the first time in God knows how long since he's got kids.

I kind of think this guy is worse than an alcoholic to be honest - he just straght up expects his freinds wedding to double as a party and tried to bill the friend because the 'party' didn't meet his standards. Alchoholics have an illness but this shithead is just sick (derogatory).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

AceClown posted:

super looking forward to the next few pages of dry wedding chat
Were there any dry weddings on The Gilmore Girls?!?!?!?!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Oh hey someone decides not to leave well enough alone and tries to force a tearful Hallmark Channel reconciliation between estranged family members. I wonder how that's going to turn out.

My husband kicked me out of the home because I invited over his mother

quote:

I preface this by saying I think I screwed up massively.

Hubbie and I have been married for six years now. He's always been the "fun guy", always laughing and making me laugh, always seeing the bright side of things. However, one thing that bothered me was that I never knew much of his family. His father died when he was little and he has little relationship with his mom.

I'll keep this short: four months ago I looked up his mom on social media and found her. I sent a message, and she replied. We chatted and met up, she doesn't live far from us. She knew all about me and her son because she kept an eye on him on social. We became friends and I filled her in with details about our lives. I asked her why hubbie went no contact with her. She refused to tell me why if hubbie didn't tell me, just said it was all her fault and she's ashamed of it. I proposed to try what I could to help them reconcile and she agreed even if she was reluctant at first.

In the following weeks I tried talking to hubbie about his mother and what happened between them. He always changed topic or shut me down. When MIL asked me how it was going, I told her things were progressing and I was working on it.

Last week I decided to try and have them meet up so maybe we could spend Easter together. I invited MIL over before my husband would be back from work so we could surprise. She was a bit unsure about this, she said she wasn't comfortable surprising him like that, but I reassured her. I thought that any emotion hubbie could have would be better cooled by a hug.

Spoiler alert, MIL was right. Hubbie came home, and after the initial shock started yelling like I never heard him to her to get out immediately. She just grabbed her coat and stormed out. Afterwards, hubbie told me to get out too when I explained what I had done. He didn't yell at me, but his voice was cold and almost emotionless.

I've been staying at my sister's since. Hubbie won't take my calls. MIL cried on the phone and asked why I lied like that and never talked to my hubbie and "prepared" him for that. Now she stopped taking my calls as well.

I know I have screwed up big time, and I see now what a massive dork I've been. How can I fix this? I want to apologize to hubbie for what I did and maybe find out why his mom is dead to him.
OP hosed things up so badly that even the estranged mother who was desperate to resume communication with her son is refusing to take her calls. "If anything goes wrong, I can just cool things out with a big ol' hug!" - that's some grade-A contingency planning there, OP. And even at the end, she refers to herself as a "massive dork" and not, say, a manipulative liar, and still wants to pry her husband's secret out of him. Plus that "hubbie" poo poo. Just awful

There were updates, much of which were abuse-specific and don't need to be reposted here (stepdad abused OP's husband, MIL looked the other way, he has a lot of anger about that for some reason), but husband decided to stay with OP:

quote:

He said he did consider divorce over this, but pretty bluntly said that he thinks my actions were out of stupidity rather than malice, and he wants to work things out.
OP has no idea just how lucky she is.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

“California sober” specifically means you don’t drink but you do smoke weed, and maybe other drugs too.

Wedding invitations should have:
An agenda
Meal options
Bar status (open/cash/none)

ESH because the invites didn’t specify bar status, but op shouldn’t have assumed, and shouldn’t have sent the Venmo request because he ended up going out and needing the sitter/Ubers/airbnb anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

kdrudy posted:

ESH

While it is true venmo tantrums are lovely and passive aggressive, they are also funny so I enjoy when assholes do it in stories