Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Guest2553 posted:

I'm not a law talking guy but as an idiot on the internet that probably has more in common with a rando jurist, I don't see how it shreds the prosecution. Would like to know more though.

The whole point of attacking a witness's credibility is just to persuade the jury not to trust anything they say, so if it's not working for the layman it means nothing. There's no legal gotcha here, it's just about making him look like a liar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Clarste posted:

The whole point of attacking a witness's credibility is just to persuade the jury not to trust anything they say, so if it's not working for the layman it means nothing. There's no legal gotcha here, it's just about making him look like a liar.

It is a fairly hard sell from 'aha! You were wrong about the details of this one call as I'm yelling at you in a courtroom' to 'please ignore the audio recordings of my client discussing the payment arrangements he claims didn't happen'

This case, like most of the others, is chud on the jury nullification or bust, basically.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

They've also laid out a chain of good evidence corroborating Cohen's testimony. His other lies aren't as devastating when you consider that in the main part, he's just confirming what the state already pieced together.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Caros posted:

It is a fairly hard sell from 'aha! You were wrong about the details of this one call as I'm yelling at you in a courtroom' to 'please ignore the audio recordings of my client discussing the payment arrangements he claims didn't happen'

This case, like most of the others, is chud on the jury nullification or bust, basically.

The defense opening statement was essentially “there’s no crime here. Nothing happened” so they are all in on Chud jurist hangs the jury or bust. They aren’t going for some kind of subtle defense.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I'm pretty sure this country's gonna shake off Trump like Germany did Hitler: making it very clear to the world twenty years from now that we hate creating him more than everyone else because they need to be assured we learned our loving lesson

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Islamic Shock posted:

I'm pretty sure this country's gonna shake off Trump like Germany did Hitler: making it very clear to the world twenty years from now that we hate creating him more than everyone else because they need to be assured we learned our loving lesson

It's more likely that in 20 years people will be openly worshipping effigies of the man and he will be considered the only founding father who's opinons and beliefs are to be taken under consideration.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

The Islamic Shock posted:

Hitler also shot himself in the head when it was clear he lost. No dramatic sense of martyrdom, just ended it. That might have helped a bit. Trump is a different animal from a different time and place, and Americans are uniquely adept at not even allowing themselves to have a guilty conscience in the first place to consider that there may BE a lesson to be learned.

We whitewash the stains of our history. Look at the genocide of the Natives, the civil war, all of it. And we can justify anything we want by pointing at 9/11 or whatever else.

Like I want it to be true but that is insanely optimistic when dealing with modern Americans imo

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
George W Bush killed a million Iraqis and he's now remembered as an unfortunate but well intentioned family man who just got a little in over his head. He pals around with the Obamas at every opportunity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Tenkaris posted:

Like I want it to be true but that is insanely optimistic when dealing with modern Americans imo

Optimism at least has the scent of rationality. It took us doing reeducation on Germans, executing their leaders and banning them from having a military, after years of brutal fascist rule over a land struggling to get through a war it eventually lost.

The idea that Americans will have some kind of revelatory moment without it being forced on us at gunpoint isn’t even a fantasy, it’s something far beyond that. It’s the original use case for “incredible”. How does one look at the history of the biggest bully of the 20th and 21st centuries and think “they’re gonna feel so bad about all this” lol

We’re literally the only nation to have used nukes in anger! And we get incredibly pissy about it if anyone says boo about it! We are an entire nation that acts like Trump, when it comes to our national identity. Shame isn’t in us, we’re winners, not lovely losers who ever feel bad about anything, for any reason.

selec fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 17, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

George W Bush killed a million Iraqis and he's now remembered as an unfortunate but well intentioned family man who just got a little in over his head. He pals around with the Obamas at every opportunity.

Maybe that's how you remember him, and maybe you take your social cues from the Obamas, but please don't speak for the rest of the country.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

selec posted:

Optimism at least has the scent of rationality. It took us doing reeducation on Germans, executing their leaders and banning them from having a military, after years of brutal fascist rule over a land struggling to get through a war it eventually lost.

The idea that Americans will have some kind of revelatory moment without it being forced on us at gunpoint isn’t even a fantasy, it’s something far beyond that. It’s the original use case for “incredible”. How does one look at the history of the biggest bully of the 20th and 21st centuries and think “they’re gonna feel so bad about all this” lol

We’re literally the only nation to have used nukes in anger! And we get incredibly pissy about it if anyone says boo about it! We are an entire nation that acts like Trump, when it comes to our national identity. Shame isn’t in us, we’re winners, not lovely losers who ever feel bad about anything, for any reason.
I'm giving it twenty years, which might not be enough, because the combination of the only non-rich people left alive not being able to remember what upward mobility was like, capitalists realizing they can operate a lot more honestly now, and everyone having easy and instant access to information on how we got here might cause enough suffering and opportunity for that revelatory moment. Which might actually be forced upon us at gunpoint. My optimism is based on the probably irrational belief that people can only punch themselves in the dicks for so long before they start to wonder why they can't (afford to) have children.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Quality Raskin speech about Trump during Committee shenanigans.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1791266575796048167

The Bible
May 8, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Except he fucks over every single god damned person that does that.

They all believe that they'll be the one that he takes a real shine to.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe that's how you remember him, and maybe you take your social cues from the Obamas, but please don't speak for the rest of the country.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/22/politics/george-w-bush-favorable-poll/index.html From 2018. I swear there was a more recent one but Google isn't helping.

quote:

George W. Bush has turned his unpopularity upside down.

Six in 10 Americans, 61%, say they now have a favorable view of the 43rd President of the United States in the latest CNN poll conducted by SSRS, nearly double the 33% who gave him a favorable mark when he left the White House in January 2009.

His mark is lower than Barack Obama’s 66% favorable rating in the same poll, but significantly higher than the 40% favorable rating for President Donald Trump.

Most of Bush’s climb back to popularity came from Democrats and independents. His favorability mark among Democrats has soared from only 11% in February 2009 to a majority 54% now.

In fact, Bush holds a majority favorable rating among every demographic group but liberals – including strong Democratic groups like nonwhites and people under 35 years old.

It also would have been higher then but some Trump people started hating him more

quote:

Despite the climb overall, Republican disapproval of the former president has tripled from 7% to 21% since 2015.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe look at some recent polling instead of being unnecessarily aggressive for absolutely no reason.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Captain Melo posted:

Thats a lot of words to just say your brother is an idiot

He ain't heavy, like a sack of hammers
He's my brother

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sounds like Cohen got caught in a lie today about a phone call. He got shredded by the defense and it looks real bad.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/politics/takeaways-trump-trial-michael-cohen-thursday/index.html

It was one small point made in a sea of weeks of incoherent defense ramblings; what the jury is likely to remember is that Blanche essentially lost his cool, which is never a good look for an officer of the court.

Micheal Cohen on the other hand stayed calm, and maintained eye contact with the jury.

CNN is not exactly inimical to Trump, and this article does not read like it was much of a defense point, let alone a Perry Mason moment.

A rational defendant & counsel going through the past three weeks would be pretty uh, sober right about now. It is not going well when your best hope is jury nullification.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 17, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sounds like Cohen got caught in a lie today about a phone call. He got shredded by the defense and it looks real bad.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/politics/takeaways-trump-trial-michael-cohen-thursday/index.html

If this really was the gotcha moment, I feel like the defense would have gotten to this before spending a full day and a half of cross on actual nothing

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

There's no reason to believe this will happen with Trump; he had his shot to be a normal albeit Republican president in the brief moment he had standing there next to Obama, he's never going to have his image rehabilitated by liberals.

And even then, Bush after leaving office basically kept his head down and is essentially retired from politics and the country went through the pandemic, of course people won't remember Bush all that negatively. Trump would be incapable of that.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

In a Pew survey taken last summer more Democrats ranked Reagan as the best president of the last 40 years than named Biden:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, its easy to just remember GWB as a vaguely ineffective President who says Howdy because he's been completely irrelevant for 16 years. Once people remember Iraq its easy to hate him.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Holy poo poo, how are any Dems taking Reagan over HW? I mean HW loving sucks but Reagan over HW? What the gently caress, gently caress Reagan and gently caress this country.

Again, they are both monsters.

TGG fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 17, 2024

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

TGG posted:

Holy poo poo, how are any Dems taking Reagan over HW? I mean HW loving sucks but Reagan over HW? What the gently caress, gently caress Reagan and gently caress this country.

Have you considered that being an absolute moron that can't remember more than 4 years ago, if that, is a trait that crosses party lines?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TGG posted:

Reminder that Reagan was like 40 years ago and he was absolutely revered as a deity while he was president. The fact that he's so low among Ds is more shocking.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TGG posted:

Reagan was canonized decades ago.

Both Bushes have been forgotten

Trump will be forgotten, too. Sure, there will be a tiny death cult, but no one will care

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah I get it but it is just so sad, I got the tail end of Reagan as a kid and have solid memories of H.W. and the rest but the internet really does make people stupid :(

Also I don't see Trump being forgotten. He is some weird change for the worse in this country.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

TGG posted:

a combination of people not being able to differentiate between bushes, reagan deification, and there was 12% unemployment leading into the 1992 elections.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

TGG posted:

Also I don't see Trump being forgotten. He is some weird change for the worse in this country.

I'm unironically certain I will live long enough to hear "trumpism" become a proper noun whose merits will be seriously debated in halls of power.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, its easy to just remember GWB as a vaguely ineffective President who says Howdy because he's been completely irrelevant for 16 years. Once people remember Iraq its easy to hate him.

Also there were much openly poo poo people in the GWB whitehouse that I'm sure are still widely hated like Dick Cheney. Bush was a horrible president and did some atrocious things, but even at the time people liked to put a lot of the blame on others. And unlike trump most of the things he said were just straight up dumb not horribly racists and dumb (mostly I'm sure he said some racists poo poo now and again). Hell he even seemed okay on immigration and as didn't seem like a racist gently caress wit towards Mexicans.

So while it's still stupid to think he was a good president or a good person, I think it's pretty easy to see why when people look back, particularly in comparison to the gently caress wits of the current republican party who aren't just greedy, but very loudly crazy and bigoted, and have false memories of how good he was really.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

You know maybe we too will look back on Trump fondly in 20 years when we elect mega Satan for president.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

WarpedLichen posted:

You know maybe we too will look back on Trump fondly in 20 years when we elect mega Satan for president.

Turns out the great soul harvesting really puts the Trump years in perspective

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

TGG posted:

Well..

Basically he was an actor and boomers and their parents loving loved him and probably at least tacitly agreed with how he hosed over the country because it would be someone else's problem and not good (white) families.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 17, 2024

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Also a lot of people were kids back when Reagan was in office, flat out didn't pay attention to any politics or anything until they were at least in their late teens or early 20's, on top of being normal willful idiots when it comes to politics.

They're going to remember that time period of being a child when they were being taken care of by their parents as 'the good times' most likely so that'll influence things heavily.

But yeah still mildly bewildering that so many D's have good opinion of him now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Maybe look at some recent polling instead of being unnecessarily aggressive for absolutely no reason.

Maybe look in the mirror about why you engage in these patterns of generalizing from completely uncited polling to elaborate narratives attached to the universe.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

Basically he was an actor and boomer and their parents loving loved him and probably least tacitly agreed with how he hosed over the country because it would be someone else's problem and not good (white) families.

He wasn't even a Silent, let alone a Boomer. He was born in 1911, an early member of the Greatest Generation.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

He wasn't even a Silent, let alone a Boomer. He was born in 1911, an early member of the Greatest Generation.

Additionally, he didn’t fight in ww2 because he had terrible eye sight. The only thing he wanted to do was be a pilot and that disqualified him. Instead of doing literally anything else to help the war effort, he stayed in California and made commercials for war bonds. That didn’t stop him from claiming he fought in world war 2 later on.

After the war, audiences tended to want slightly darker, moodier movies and it killed his career. Nobody wanted to see a lanky, dopey dipshit. So he started naming names and doing corporate infomercials and was consumed by bitterness until he met a struggling little studio girl who knew how to put the sparkle back in his eye.

As a counter example, strom thurmond put his already successful judicial career on hold and joined the army. At 39 he was the most athletic person at basic training. He was 42 years old when he landed a hang glider at Normandy during D-Day. He was just murdering Germans left and right and probably had the time of his life. He died after 9/11.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah I meant to say "boomers" but left off the s

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Additionally, he didn’t fight in ww2 because he had terrible eye sight. The only thing he wanted to do was be a pilot and that disqualified him. Instead of doing literally anything else to help the war effort, he stayed in California and made commercials for war bonds. That didn’t stop him from claiming he fought in world war 2 later on.

No that's true, I saw him face to face with Hitler in The New Colossus.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

As a counter example, strom thurmond put his already successful judicial career on hold and joined the army. At 39 he was the most athletic person at basic training. He was 42 years old when he landed a hang glider at Normandy during D-Day. He was just murdering Germans left and right and probably had the time of his life. He died after 9/11.
We don’t need to lionize one of the most avowed racists of the last century who excused his racial antagonism under the thinly veiled euphemism of uh, checks notes, states rights.

JFC lots of other people served in WWII.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe look in the mirror about why you engage in these patterns of generalizing from completely uncited polling to elaborate narratives attached to the universe.

Are you going to completely ignore the poll posted above that shows him doubling his approval rate over the last few decades? Or do you want to keep creepily psychoanalyzing posters?

Seems like there's a good choice and a bad choice there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Murgos posted:

We don’t need to lionize one of the most avowed racists of the last century who excused his racial antagonism under the thinly veiled euphemism of uh, checks notes, states rights.

JFC lots of other people served in WWII.

no one is lionizing him. I'm pointing out Reagan threw a hissy fit because he couldn't be a pilot then lied about his service history later in life. I'm comparing him to someone who was 39, ten years older than Ronnie, exempt from the draft, already successful in politics and on his way to national renown, who joined the army anyway and served in the 82nd airborne.

I deleted a joke about him fragging any black soldiers he caught walking alone because I thought it was tasteless, but I guess I should have left that in there just to make sure no one thought I was talking about what a great legislator he was.