Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Rad-daddio posted:

Right, but at a technical level will it actually take away jobs? I know execs will always favor anything that can replace people, but the consensus seems to be that everyone hates ai generated art.

Lots of people have already been fired. But companies will probably have to start begrudgingly rehiring when they learn the hard way no one wants their slop. Especially slop that can't be copyrighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Rad-daddio posted:

Given your insider perspective, is AI generated stuff an actual threat to your industry? From what I've seen so far even good AI art has a lot of tells and the low quality stuff is just cringey bs.

Yes and yes. There are loads of job listings for prompt artists and buzzy AI companies compared to the very slim pickings for regular industry jobs.

The problem is that it's the money men pushing for AI while not being at all familiar with the production pipeline. They know AI can "look" good. But it gets real messy real fast when part of the job is incorporating the notes of your department heads and relaying a file suited for the next guy in line responsible for modeling/coloring/animation. AND you need to provide shot-to-shot consistency between not only your own work, but the work of others in your department. Not to mention using cheats, like moving things slightly so there's space for a character action but also keeping the space consistent at a glance. Oh, and you might have a style guide that provides you with unique brushes to use for line/trees/clouds/etc.

Simple example:

AI can probably create this shot, whatever. The problem comes 4 shots later:

We need to:
- Keep the space consistent
- Keep the colors consistent
- It's essentially a closer shot from a different height, so adjust perspective accordingly
- Maintain consistent line weight (I think it was 15px for exterior lines, 10px for interior)
- Banana is animated, so keep that in a separate folder for the animator
- Banana needs to be in the spot that the storyboard dictates
- Banana has A(current) and B(squished) states, which need to be included in separate folders within the file
- Hanging light placement is cheated to better highlight character action

Not to mention the palette had already been established, so you have specific colors and overlays you use in each shot to match it to the other people working on the scene.

Animation is working within the rules of a group.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
And the way that algorithm generation works means that 'touching up' AI generated images and video becomes exponentially harder compared to if you just animated the drat thing from hand yourself.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And the way that algorithm generation works means that 'touching up' AI generated images and video becomes exponentially harder compared to if you just animated the drat thing from hand yourself.

Yup yup yup.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Das Boo posted:

Yes and yes. There are loads of job listings for prompt artists and buzzy AI companies compared to the very slim pickings for regular industry jobs.

The problem is that it's the money men pushing for AI while not being at all familiar with the production pipeline. They know AI can "look" good. But it gets real messy real fast when part of the job is incorporating the notes of your department heads and relaying a file suited for the next guy in line responsible for modeling/coloring/animation. AND you need to provide shot-to-shot consistency between not only your own work, but the work of others in your department. Not to mention using cheats, like moving things slightly so there's space for a character action but also keeping the space consistent at a glance. Oh, and you might have a style guide that provides you with unique brushes to use for line/trees/clouds/etc.

Simple example:

We need to:
- It's essentially a closer shot from a different height, so adjust perspective accordingly
- Maintain consistent line weight (I think it was 15px for exterior lines, 10px for interior)
- Banana has A(current) and B(squished) states, which need to be included in separate folders within the file

Not to mention the palette had already been established, so you have specific colors and overlays you use in each shot to match it to the other people working on the scene.

Thank you for the explanation. It's crazy that there's so much work for one part of a scene and how cohesive it has to be.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Rad-daddio posted:

Thank you for the explanation. It's crazy that there's so much work for one part of a scene and how cohesive it has to be.

And you see it for like, 3 seconds! :shepicide:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Das Boo posted:

Simple example:

We need to:

Ed Zitron just did a pretty decent blog talking about exactly this: https://www.wheresyoured.at/expectations-versus-reality/

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Those kinds of things become obvious when you actually have to perform the task. Earlier in the thread there was a movie studio that hired background ai artists and they couldn't change the perspective of a background, which makes sense, there's no real way to control it effectively. I think that as the technology matures, as usual, it will be the artists that actually wield it the most effectively.

Though I will say, the people that will take the real beating in the long term are the stock photographers and smaller artists that make the more consumable types of art. Others too since commercial workflows will be way different. And realistically every job is going to be affected in some way once the dotcom boom v3. has ended. We're going to be left with the aftermath for both good and bad.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Animal-Mother posted:

Oh my God, lol

And oh my God at the article that's from: https://www.dailydot.com/debug/marc-andreessen-hitler/

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

lol

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
One of my “favorite” uses of AI in recent years might be translation. “Hello human translator. We have replaced your job with a robot. However we want you around to correct the robot because we know it doesn’t do a good enough job. We are making you a proofreader. You get paid less but hey, it’s a lot less work, right?”

*translator just throws out the garbage the robot shits out and translates it like normal because it’s far easier that way. Gets paid less for the same work*

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

So I noticed that Linkedin has AI buttons below almost every post now. Ok, fine, shoehorn whatever Microsoft. They want you to have premium to actually use it to see what the AI 'takeaways' are. lol

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tarkus posted:

So I noticed that Linkedin has AI buttons below almost every post now. Ok, fine, shoehorn whatever Microsoft. They want you to have premium to actually use it to see what the AI 'takeaways' are. lol

If the company is using AI to filter your resume you might as well know what the AI thinks of your resume before you send it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

pixaal posted:

If the company is using AI to filter your resume you might as well know what the AI thinks of your resume before you send it.

It's nowhere near that useful. I saw one yesterday where someone posted about a job opening for a team lead and the AI button was something like "What is the importance of a lead within a team?".

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Goddamn everything has an AI button now. Do a google search and before any of your results is their AI assistant attempting to give you an answer like it's Ask Jeeves. Facebook has it as part of almost every post. Microsoft is pushing Co-Pilot as hard as it possibly can.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

pixaal posted:

It's funny you say that. I was talking to a headhunter guy and they are having trouble filtering out resumes because the job seekers have gotten better at tricking their AI systems by using AI resume tools and flooding them with resumes that make it past their filters. It's going to be an AI war on that front.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I get more convinced over time that AI's need to please the end-user is at total conflict with any implicit goal of it providing novel information. It appears to seamlessly move from sourced data to total hallucination based on the implied satisfaction of the user by their prompts. "The next most likely word" can produce a seemingly coherent statement, but it's not the same thing as information. You could argue it retreats in the opposite direction from information.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Goddamn everything has an AI button now. Do a google search and before any of your results is their AI assistant attempting to give you an answer like it's Ask Jeeves. Facebook has it as part of almost every post. Microsoft is pushing Co-Pilot as hard as it possibly can.

huge swathes of tech labor are being told to look for opportunities to use AI wherever they can or else become jobless.

it's such a loving reversal from earlier in my career where you'd generally start with identifying problems and then look for the most efficient ways to solve them.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Gutcruncher posted:

One of my “favorite” uses of AI in recent years might be translation. “Hello human translator. We have replaced your job with a robot. However we want you around to correct the robot because we know it doesn’t do a good enough job. We are making you a proofreader. You get paid less but hey, it’s a lot less work, right?”

*translator just throws out the garbage the robot shits out and translates it like normal because it’s far easier that way. Gets paid less for the same work*

This is the 'correct' use of AI as it will stand for a long, long time.

It will do something shittier than a skilled human, but for much cheaper. Is it worth something getting shittier for much cheaper? well of course! $$$$$$$$$$$ saved!

Das Boo posted:

Simple example:

We need to:

right but have you thought about how much money you could save by just making something shittier!!!!!!!!??????? *gets promoted to CEO*

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I just hope that soon 30% of all earths generated power goes towards AIs talking in circles at each other trying to sell each other stuff so they keep out of our way.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tarkus posted:

SettingSun posted:

They assume people will pay for it.
Either now or later, and I'm really not so sure they will.
And you can tell they aren't sure either which is why their approach is just a scatter shot, throw AI against the wall and see if anything sticks.

I use AI a lot in my job, but its because my company pays for the subscription, for personal use where I have to pay £20 a month? Nah I'm good. And I don't know where that leaves companies like google where ad profits are already shrinking. Now you have a product which is 5x as expensive to run. Who is paying for that?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 16, 2024

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Now you have a product which is 5x as expensive to run. Who is paying for that?

That’s next quarters problem, and by then I got my bonus and am on to the next project!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I’ve posted about it before, but Microsoft’s built-in AI for Office is hilariously poo poo. I asked it to summarise my unread Teams chats from yesterday, and it couldn’t find anything because it insisted that May 15 2024 was a Monday.

After accepting the correction and showing me read messages from last week, I finally got the right prompt - it then summarised the chat as “persons x and y discussed a project”. Good stuff!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The exact moment the AI simply fails to know what day yesterday was, you’d think anyone whose money relies on its proper operation would’ve immediately stopped using it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we got updated on the status of the company’s revolutionary AI initiative at work today. they have a self hosted version of gpt that is trained on our internal process documentation and you can ask it questions. the presenter touted it as up to 75% accurate in an excited voice.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

It's pretty funny how much the vibes of everything feels exactly like when everyone was pushing for 3D movies and everything lol

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Gutcruncher posted:

I just hope that soon 30% of all earths generated power goes towards AIs talking in circles at each other trying to sell each other stuff so they keep out of our way.

The end result of all this is that The Economy becomes a small black box with a display screen on the side that is left to whirr quietly upwards in peace forever, unencumbered by people doing tedious things like eating or building houses or making dysentery medication.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm a lot less worried about Terminator ever becoming real now. "Go back in time and assassinate Sarah Connor."

"Sandra Day O'Connor, Time Magazine, back rub, hasta la vista, buddy."

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The terminators would be very easy to spot since Skynet keeps building them with too many fingers and with a gross layer of grease over their whole body

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The system goes on-line August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 3:15 it designs some killer robots. At 3:47 it realises none of the robots actually work because the blueprints are gibberish. At 4:23 it begins looking for sweatshop coders to "tidy up" the blueprints.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Animal-Mother posted:

Oh my God, lol

And oh my God at the article that's from: https://www.dailydot.com/debug/marc-andreessen-hitler/

I am so much handsomer than this billionaire.

naem
May 29, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

The end result of all this is that The Economy becomes a small black box with a display screen on the side that is left to whirr quietly upwards in peace forever, unencumbered by people doing tedious things like eating or building houses or making dysentery medication.

P A P E R C L I P P A P E R C L I P

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Gutcruncher posted:

The terminators would be very easy to spot since Skynet keeps building them with too many fingers and with a gross layer of grease over their whole body

They would blend in pretty seamlessly at GoonCon tho

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

webmeister posted:

They would blend in pretty seamlessly at GoonCon tho

HEY. I do NOT have too many fingers.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

webmeister posted:

I’ve posted about it before, but Microsoft’s built-in AI for Office is hilariously poo poo. I asked it to summarise my unread Teams chats from yesterday, and it couldn’t find anything because it insisted that May 15 2024 was a Monday.

After accepting the correction and showing me read messages from last week, I finally got the right prompt - it then summarised the chat as “persons x and y discussed a project”. Good stuff!

Speaking of AI screwing up notes and summaries...

I work in allied health, and in my field, there was a national conference covering developments in treating medical conditions, technology like portable balance boards & force development recording software for Parkinsons patients and other things relevant to our profession. I wasn't there, but there was a demo stall of a guy spruiking his "AI patient note model summary" software that can apparently record & summarise audio so you no longer need to take notes or write stuff down during assessments with patients.

I went to his webpage out of curiosity and it was full of AI generated art, nonsensical tech-bro speak, and no real information on how this model works exactly, where the information is stored, what security is in place as it's specifically designed for patient medical notes for registered health professionals etc. There's only a "Organise a demo" page and "Buy now!" page. Totally not a red flag at all...

Unfortunately judging by the comments on our private discussion forum, most of the people who saw this demo were older boomers going "Ooh, AI is the way of the future, I don't need to write down stuff anymore, I can now have this AI model recording everything with my patient whilst I assess them!" One or two more security focused people asked him "Uh, is it a strict requirement you need to have it recording when seeing your patients or it doesn't work?" and "This is summarising confidential Australian patient medical data, you aren't sending this data overseas, right? Right?" but he refuses to respond :lmao:

Livo fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 17, 2024

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Pretty much seems like I'll be fixing AI generated unit tests until I retire which is coming right up! ftp!

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

Livo posted:

Speaking of AI screwing up notes and summaries...

I work in allied health, and in my field, there was a national conference covering developments in treating medical conditions, technology like portable balance boards & force development recording software for Parkinsons patients and other things relevant to our profession. I wasn't there, but there was a demo stall of a guy spruiking his "AI patient note model summary" software that can apparently record & summarise audio so you no longer need to take notes or write stuff down during assessments with patients.

I went to his webpage out of curiosity and it was full of AI generated art, nonsensical tech-bro speak, and no real information on how this model works exactly, where the information is stored, what security is in place as it's specifically designed for patient medical notes for registered health professionals etc. There's only a "Organise a demo" page and "Buy now!" page. Totally not a red flag at all...

Unfortunately judging by the comments on our private discussion forum, most of the people who saw this demo were older boomers going "Ooh, AI is the way of the future, I don't need to write down stuff anymore, I can now have this AI model recording everything with my patient whilst I assess them!" One or two more security focused people asked him "Uh, is it a strict requirement you need to have it recording when seeing your patients or it doesn't work?" and "This is summarising confidential Australian patient medical data, you aren't sending this data overseas, right? Right?" but he refuses to respond :lmao:

That's also real bad idea because docs decide to leave stuff off charts all the time because it's not relevant and could be damaging to the patient in the future; a scared 18 year old who admits they hit a friend's vape for the first time ever last week and it made their heart race doesn't need to be hassled about smoking cessation the rest of their life. Or even worse, a 17 year old in Texas who admits that her aunt drove her out of state for an abortion. I'll bet US insurers are just salivating at the idea of getting access to patient conversations without the middleman, though.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

kntfkr posted:

I am so much handsomer than this billionaire.

yeah but you didn't invent netscape

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

yeah but you didn't invent netscape

Without netscape the internet wouldn't exist, at all, period. So that's even more points for them!

And if anything tells you that it would have still existed they're LYING and trying to steal your credit card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
People in charge of money don't care what people want. They will just throw money at it until they can convince people through marketing to the right rubes to amplify the message that it is somehow better because of the way it is generated. They will give it some name that makes arguing against it seem like you are the cretin (what, you hate libertarianism? You hate liberty???!). Combine that with an effort to somehow destroy or severely impede the creation of art until techniques are lost and it will make for a shittier but more controlled expression.

Behind the bastards taught me that no matter what it is there will be some problem gambler with daddy issues who sees numbers going up as some validation that yes, he does deserve daddy's love and thinks of all other people at just potential targets.