Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Det_no posted:

Those look like a slightly modified sniper from TF2, sniper from Dota, phantom assassin and random buildings from Alyx. The heroes all top all look like lightly edited Dota ones too.

If I were a crazy conspiracy theory kind of guy, I'd say this is a fake leak in order to catch rats before an actual big project. :tinfoil:

Or it's all placeholder and mock up stuff and this game never should have been publicly heard of for months or years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Twitter's doing its best to drive itself into non-existence. Please aid them in that noble cause, and feel free to screenshot or rehost any content you want to share, as many (most?) non-twitter-denizens are unable to see that content.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
O gently caress is there a Deadlock remake coming??

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Serephina posted:

Twitter's doing its best to drive itself into non-existence. Please aid them in that noble cause, and feel free to screenshot or rehost any content you want to share, as many (most?) non-twitter-denizens are unable to see that content.

my bad

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Have they considered, instead, making a game that people actually want?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Oh I just realized that if you couldn't see the tweet i posted, you probably couldn't see the other tweet that got posted that started all this. It's all text so this should be easy.

quote:

Deadlock. Next Valve game. Previously known as Neon Prime, Citadel. Competitive third person hero-based shooter. 6 vs 6 battling on huge map with 4 lanes. Usable abilities and items. Tower defense mechanics. Fantasy setting mixed with steampunk. Magicians, weird creatures and robots. Fast travel using floating rails, similar to Bioshock Infinite.

Basically, fast-paced interesting ADHD gameplay. Combination of Dota 2, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, Valorant, Smite, Orcs Must Die.

Hero design pretty much inspired by Dota universe. Main map references modern steampunk European city (little bit like Half-Life). Initially game had sci-fi elements inspired by Half-Life and Portal, but after bad feedback dev team decided to focus on fantasy.

I've said this a million times but 6v6 is the deal breaker for me. 12v12 is the bare starving minimum for a shooter. 127 v 127 is the goal all should strive for.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 17, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
There might actually be a decent market for "Overwatch, but fresh and less poo poo" to be honest.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Oh I just realized that if you couldn't see the tweet i posted, you probably couldn't see the other tweet that got posted that started all this. It's all text so this should be easy.

I've said this a million times but 6v6 is the deal breaker for me. 12v12 is the bare starving minimum for a shooter. 127 v 127 is the goal all should strive for.

Nah, it's 666 v 666 v 666. Satan and Planetside 2 can't both be wrong.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Vaguely related, I wish more coop games were 6-player instead of 4. Locked out of so many games because I have 2 too many friends :(

Is 4 popular because it is easier to balance. Server load? Network load? A holdover from local console coop with split screen? Whatever the reason, it sucks.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The Lone Badger posted:

Have they considered, instead, making a game that people actually want?

Remember Artifact?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I'm the target audience for "6v6 Overwatch but less poo poo."

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It also looks like it's third person shooter instead of a real shooter so it's more Smite than Overwatch.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Technically so am I, but I'm concerned that the concept also seems to be "Overwatch but let's include the worst aspects of MOBAs"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Let the Campo Santo team do something you cowards.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bros Overwatch 2 is looking like hot garbage what happened to the guys who made team fortress 2. Is making good games lostech now?

you want good looking assets you need to hire thousands of people (e.g. if you aim for ubisoft quality and quantity)

if you are cool with Firewatch quality you need to hire less people, so that's what everyone does

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

today's news:

- Core Keeper will be launching into 1.0 and on console on August 27th, 2024

I played Core Keeper EA with a friend and after that continued on the next area update on my own, it's a very fun craft/terraria kinda game. Can't wait to pick it up again after 1.0.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Endless Legend is free on Steam right now.

Nice, thank you! Was looking at it recently but didn't want to spend the money, even on sale

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

I could be misremembering, but I'm pretty certain Overwatch is 6v6 already? Like I distinctly remember the forced team comp after a while was 2 tank 2 dps 2 healer after a while into its life

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Artelier posted:

I could be misremembering, but I'm pretty certain Overwatch is 6v6 already? Like I distinctly remember the forced team comp after a while was 2 tank 2 dps 2 healer after a while into its life

They changed it to 5v5 when they went F2P because they couldn't figure out how to make people play Tank and poor DPS players were having to wait in queue for too long.

That change hosed up the whole game.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

maybe it's a ruse like how 'hot dog' was supposed to be left 4 dead 3

lol who am I kidding, valve wants more whales since they can't keep milking the cs crowd forever

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

why does valve want more whales? they have steam. they want the prestige of being the top dog in things they’re interested in, and their interests as a company fluctuates wildly based on what they can convince eachother to work on. if this is real it’s because they’re annoyed at overwatch and want to make their own with blackjack and hookers

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It also looks like it's third person shooter instead of a real shooter so it's more Smite than Overwatch.

A better Smite with TF2/Overwatch elements would be pretty cool.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Perestroika posted:

“but the worst aspects of MOBAs"

The playerbase?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

why does valve want more whales? they have steam. they want the prestige of being the top dog in things they’re interested in, and their interests as a company fluctuates wildly based on what they can convince eachother to work on. if this is real it’s because they’re annoyed at overwatch and want to make their own with blackjack and hookers

As far as I recall, a key factor is that valve devs' salary and bonuses depend on a peer review system, which in turn depends on what they've worked on. So if Steam as a whole makes $infinity, that doesn't really do anything for the devs. But if they personally worked on a game that makes $infinity, that can in turn work out to a substantial payday. That often means that Valve development will tend to gravitate towards stuff that is perceived to be a relatively safe bet with lots of profit potential, and away from things that are more experimental or uncertain.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

halokiller posted:

maybe it's a ruse like how 'hot dog' was supposed to be left 4 dead 3

lol who am I kidding, valve wants more whales since they can't keep milking the cs crowd forever

That's silly, CS/DOTA is probably a rounding error compared to what they make off selling games.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Gabe found out that collecting yachts if more expensive than knives.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah that's why they almost exclusively make games that can be used as a vehicle for lootboxes now, they're not interested in making more money, just being the best at slinging lootboxes for entirely non-financial reasons

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sab669 posted:

That's silly, CS/DOTA is probably a rounding error compared to what they make off selling games.

And even selling games is their 'current' thing. They've spent the last 10 years workout out how to get into hardware and now the Steam Deck is miles ahead of any of the competition.

Valve doesn't want to be a games developer or even a simple publisher, they absolutely want to elbow aside Sony Entertainment and XBOX.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 17, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Alchenar posted:

Valve doesn't want to be a games developer or even a simple publisher, they absolutely want to elbow aside Sony Entertainment and XBOX.

I don't know about that. They seem to fairly exclusively focused filling the gaps in the market that aren't already occupied by any serious competitors.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

repiv posted:

yeah that's why they almost exclusively make games that can be used as a vehicle for lootboxes now, they're not interested in making more money, just being the best at slinging lootboxes for entirely non-financial reasons

the sad truth is that lootbox poo poo, as well as being money printers, are the best way to keep masses of people in your game. we’re mostly stubborn olds. don’t get me wrong valve staff also chases metrics in order to keep jobs or achieve bonuses, not for a push to the company’s bottom line, but they also just want their forever game to be the top forever game in a genre and for that you need all that bullshit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the sad truth is that lootbox poo poo, as well as being money printers, are the best way to keep masses of people in your game. we’re mostly stubborn olds. don’t get me wrong valve staff also chases metrics in order to keep jobs or achieve bonuses, not for a push to the company’s bottom line, but they also just want their forever game to be the top forever game in a genre and for that you need all that bullshit.

them chasing metrics and creating incentives for gaming the system has produced the funny situation where a big chunk of their games "players" are actually bots trying to farm free item drops to sell on the market for 3 cents

https://x.com/gabefollower/status/1787144419453374653

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

A better Smite with TF2/Overwatch elements would be pretty cool.

So Paladins?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

to be clear i aint defending valve i think they're a poo poo company, i just think they're poo poo in prideful ways that enable greed rather than purely greedy ways

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I don't know about that. They seem to fairly exclusively focused filling the gaps in the market that aren't already occupied by any serious competitors.

Yea, they're clearly happy just doing their own thing.

Steam Controller
VR
Big Picture Mode

I'm sure there are plenty of other things they've dipped their toes in that I can't think of it.

Sadly true. DOTA recently had an update in April that was literally just a new way to earn/buy hats and they hit a peak player count the game hasn't seen in a good while:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
is Ability Draft still a thing in Dota? most fun I had with the game aver, and then some patch broke it and I left

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Valve are just a gaming company that doesn't really make games.

Maybe you're already playing CS or DOTA or can enjoy it when they do drop something new, but broadly speaking I don't think you can really look at Valve and have any expectations for a release cadence as a developer or publisher of new games.

I know we all want their third instalment of.. numerous different IP, but as a bigger picture view I'm totally fine with their contributions to my gaming experience via Steam, the Deck and anything else they fancy tinkering with. It's not like other mega gaming corporations where the other side of not getting new games is generally loving nothing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bumhead posted:

It's not like other mega gaming corporations where the other side of not getting new games is generally loving nothing.

Yea I've long accepted that Valve really hardly is a game development studio anymore. And that's a good point, at least they're doing 'big picture stuff' in the gaming space as a whole rather than re-re-re-releasing one big hit from 13 years ago

And yea, Ability Draft is still a thing though I don't know how many people play it so I'm not sure what queue times are like for it

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

They released a game four years ago. Considering their size and how games are developed today that’s a perfectly normal interval between new games. And that’s lot even considering their ongoing support of their live projects.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

6v6 makes winning too reliant on single players and forces teamwork / communication. If you get one person that wants to gently caress around in tf2 in a 12v12 and try to kill people by punching them, that's fine because there are 11 other players doing stuff. In 6v6 they're a Problem and you will lose. It discourages more casual play or goofing off and makes you treat it like an esport or you lose unless the other team is rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Grapplejack posted:

6v6 makes winning too reliant on single players and forces teamwork / communication. If you get one person that wants to gently caress around in tf2 in a 12v12 and try to kill people by punching them, that's fine because there are 11 other players doing stuff. In 6v6 they're a Problem and you will lose. It discourages more casual play or goofing off and makes you treat it like an esport or you lose unless the other team is rear end

That's not an issue because those players will lose MMR and you will gain it, provided you're not as bad when you're trying to win as when they're trying to lose, separating you from them completely.