Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

They're definitely giving me a Herblock "everyman" vibe.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I think it's based off one of the vietnam toonists, but I've not had time to go digging.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Reminds me of Herblock, except with the caption on the bottom rather than the top. His work was very influential, though, so other cartoonists have used that general style.

Examples:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Adam Zyglis

Amjad Rasmi

Bill Bramhall

Carlos Latuff

Dave Whamond

David Horsey

David Horsey posted:

IN THE NEWS: To deal with a big budget shortfall and a dip in enrollment numbers, Seattle Public Schools officials are considering closing as many as 20 elementary schools – this, despite the fact that, 15 years ago, under similar circumstances, 11 schools were closed and, only a short time later as student numbers rebounded, five schools had to be built or re-opened at a cost of $50 million.

Somewhere in their years of education, the folks who run our schools must have heard the adage that says those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it. They should keep that in mind before rushing to shut the doors on too many buildings.

Drew Sheneman

Ed Gamble

You know, a lot of cartoonists in this thread are bad at their jobs, but Gamble is uniquely bad. Absolutely incompetent at art, writing, and having well-thought-out opinions. Just complete garbage apart from the fact that he doesn't like Trurmp much.

Jack Ohman

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

John Darkow

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Lee Judge

Jesus gently caress, Judge, do a cartoon about literally any other topic.

Lisa Benson

Marty Two Bulls

Matt Wuerker

Mike Smith

Monte Wolverton

NEMØ

Biden is into pegging. A TMI cartoon.

Paul Berge

Pedro X. Molina

Phil Hands

Rivers

Holy poo poo! This Canadian cartoonist actually did a cartoon about Canada!

Robert (R.J.) Matson

Walt Handelsman

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Trump called a fictional cannibal a wonderful man.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
My Seinfeld t-shirt has a lot of people asking questions already answered by Payne being poo poo at drawing.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Fonzi is a real Seinfeld fan.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Never would've pegged this dude as an inflation fetishist.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
People are graduating into a world where it's obvious they don't get to retire ever, save money, own a loving thing or matter at all to the ruling class while they can only watch a genocide and they turn out progressive?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Discendo Vox posted:

I think it's based off one of the vietnam toonists, but I've not had time to go digging.

I find strong similarity to the humour and composition of Bill Mauldin's works, especially in the foxhole cartoon. But it may not be based on any particular comic.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nenonen posted:

I find strong similarity to the humour and composition of Bill Mauldin's works, especially in the foxhole cartoon. But it may not be based on any particular comic.

Good guess! It's Mauldin.

https://cdm16630.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p16630coll2/id/2895/
https://www.pritzkermilitary.org/ex...his-feet-ground
https://pmmlshop.org/products/beg-pardon-which-way-to-the-front

In classic form, these "tributes" were implemented mostly by adding additional labels.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: No Place for Violence

Ted Rall posted:

Even as he funnels tens of billions of dollars in weapons to Israel to help it bomb the Gaza Strip, President Biden lectures college students about being too violent as they try to protect themselves from riot police.

First Dog on the Moon: Olympic swimmers demand justice for, um, Gina Rinehart

The portrait in question (comparison taken from Time):

The whole collection of potential avatars:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

This is now legal in Texas.

You can they get out of the car and shoot them too.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 17, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Could you elaborate on that?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Could you elaborate on that?

Probably referring to the Texas governor pardoning the white supremacist who said he wanted to go shoot someone at a BLM rally then did it

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/16/texas-greg-abbott-pardons-daniel-perry

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is this referencing a specific incident, or is it just making a conspiracy theory looking mess about the fact that some parts of the internet are a conspiracy theory looking mess?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Gary Markstein

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

"In Iran, those protesting against the government line are hanged. This is a good thing when it happens to people I disagree with."

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

...that's it? Just a picture of dude saying "students are Hamas"? That must be the laziest hasbara he ever made.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Antisemitism)

"The campus protests are antisemitic and also controlled by a secret puppetmaster Jew."

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

If Donald Trump was accused of committing tax fraud while juggling chainsaws on a unicycle guess what Branco's next cartoon would show Biden and the Radical Left doing

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 17, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

idonotlikepeas posted:

He's right. If you look at American students, on an American campus, protesting genocide, and go OH MY GOD LOOK, HAMAS TERRORISTS! then you are well past due for your wake up call.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Guavanaut posted:

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Antisemitism)

"The campus protests are antisemitic and also controlled by a secret puppetmaster Jew."

Branco probably believes the "Soros literally led fellow jewish people into the gas chambers" lie.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

idonotlikepeas posted:

What the-- Oh no! A Hamas mob has appeared and it's protesting on American campuses! The faculty are using their martial arts training, but now there are TWO mobs! They're taking hostages to the Gaza strip!

Now they'll NEVER learn about "all criticism of Israel is antisemitic!"

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Keir Starmer’s ‘first steps for change’ – The party leader puts his key pledges ‘up in lights’ to win over swing voters in the general election"

Telegraph:

Starmer is serial promise breaker, Tories warn after Labour pledge launch

Matt:

‘Boil your water’ warning as parasite causes outbreak of vomiting and diarrhoea in South Devon

Independent:

Starmer’s pledge cards mark return to Blair-era campaigning

Times:

Keir Starmer unveils plan for Britain: ‘This is different to 1997’

Evening Standard:

Rachel Reeves says she'll work with Sadiq Khan to help fix Hammersmith Bridge if Chancellor (but doesn't pledge new cash)

Stephen Collins:

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

An actual good Stiglich cartoon? Never thought I'd see the day :monocle: Sure it's just A Thing Happened and also like a week late but the reference is actually kinda clever.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

always skip collins

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

mlnhd posted:

always skip collins

the actual strategy is skim collins for a depiction of a political figure and skip it if there isn't one

the downside of this is you have to be aware of uk politics enough to know what any of them look like which i'm not sure i can wish on anyone

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
always read collins and tattoo it on your body

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

The two competing energy policies of the major parties.

Leak, Son of Leak:

On the unicorn is Andrew Forrest so it's probably this: Twiggy Forrest’s cautionary tale: Flailing green hydrogen project rips a hole in Labor's plan to turn Australia into a clean energy superpower (Sky News: a piece from the Menzies Research Centre, the Liberal Party think tank).

Leunig:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

someone's mad he never won a Stanley

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also Leunig complaining about wastes of oxygen :ironicat:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Man, good thing it isn't the case that one of the ways we create peace and love is to publicly recognize people (and leaves) that do extraordinary things and encourage others to do the same. That would make Leunig look awfully stupid!

Adam Zyglis

Ann Telnaes

Bob Englehart

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/17/politics/justice-samuel-alito-flag-home/index.html

Bill Bramhall

Clay Bennett

Darrin Bell

Dave Whamond

David Horsey

David M. Hitch

I'd respond to this, but Jimmy Margulies already did so below.

Dick Wright

Ed Gamble

Jeff Koterba

Jimmy Margulies

John Branch

John Darkow

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Lee Judge

Lisa Benson

Mike Smith

Rick McKee

Taylor Jones

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

sorry pal you have to drink from the Houston Chronicle tap

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Genius! Ed, you've done it again!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Bob Englehart

Fascists get suspended upside down. A Mussolini Cartoon.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ooh, the ever elusive "Stantis actually has a clear opinion on something" arc.
Of course now that I said that, the next one will be some 180 about how stadiums are good for the local economy and that's why taxpayers footing the bill is actually not that bad a deal.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

It's a late Friday night, so I lack the brainpower or care to think about what "wink wink nudge nudge cough cough" minority Drinky Duck is trying to dogwhistle about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

The rare reverse-dolchstoßlegende