Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

game was mid anyway.

hey, if we have any shinyheads out there: big event on today! a bunch of streamers are trying to completely fill a Hoenn shiny Living Dex.

https://twitter.com/pm7john/status/1791478281922826742?s=46&t=Lil8vLMPVkfPh80ODFeUGg

pretty fun idea and I have some buds participating! even if you’re not a Twitch chatter—and who could blame you?—it might make for some pleasant background audio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want a pokemon roguelike emerald rogue is much better

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Endorph posted:

if you want a pokemon roguelike emerald rogue is much better

I second this, emerald rogue is really good and the creator isn't a chud. It's a win-win.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my pokemon roguelike of choice is the "pokedoku", a daily trivia puzzle where each cell of a 3x3 grid must be filled out meeting the criteria of the constituting row and column. a water type that learns flamethrower...... octillary methinks :D

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

oddium posted:

my pokemon roguelike of choice is the "pokedoku", a daily trivia puzzle where each cell of a 3x3 grid must be filled out meeting the criteria of the constituting row and column. a water type that learns flamethrower...... octillary methinks :D

Epic this. There’s also a fail version of it called PokeGrid in case you suck

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oddium posted:

volcanion :twisted:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
hey that's kind of neat, but now I have learned that the absolute last pokémon on people's mind when thinking of a normal-type pokémon that is at the start of an evolutionary line is _Swablu_ and that makes me sad :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Endorph posted:

volcanion :twisted:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/idkjustryan/status/1791522054224719879?s=46&t=-83MqnB_46lmmYtdOkaTyg

I will admit I thought it was going to be feature creep that killed PokeRouge not uh. This.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Unrelatedly, I'm glad I took a break between finishing the main game of Pokémon Violet and starting the DLC, because otherwise I think the whiplash between Nemona, Arven and Penny being some of the most loveable goobers in the entire series and Carmine's first impression as Queen rear end in a top hat, What the gently caress might have broken my neck.

I mean it made her fun to beat in that initial battle, which I suppose is always the most important consideration in a Pokémon rival, but wow.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

She's easily one of the more polarizing characters in the game. Some people think she's the worst while others find her hilarious.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Carmine is extremely good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they made a pokemon character with an actual personality so of course there are people mad about it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Carmine is the rear end in a top hat rival that the people have been demanding for years.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

Carmine is extremely good

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://x.com/serebiinet/status/1792332307225006459?t=_kjpabmqSTcKMe-N1aFp_A

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Carmine is the worst, but that is why she's extremely good. Same with her kid brother.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
They set Carmine up like she was wanted to be the mean rival like that poison gal in Isle of Armor, but she isn't nearly enough of an rear end in a top hat to actually keep it up once you're hanging out together. Any time I reluctantly agreed that Kieran was my friend, I was doing so because it's what my idiot best friend Carmine would want.

BoggyBeauBabineaux
Mar 3, 2022

Therapy Frog
So what would be the least chudlike way to make a Pokemon roguelike right now?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

BoggyBeauBabineaux posted:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BoggyBeauBabineaux posted:

pokemon emerald rogue

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

the_steve posted:

Like Blue, Blue was an rear end in a top hat. He was always one step ahead of you, and he wanted you to know it. There was satisfaction in sending him back to the Pokecenter.

Blue wasn't an rear end in a top hat. He was kind of a jerk and rough around the edges, but he was always giving you advice and hints on what to do next.

I think a lot of people get him and Gary from the anime mixed up. Gary WAS an rear end in a top hat right up until he washed out of the Indigo tourney.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Was Pokerogue made chudlike?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It was made by them.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

I know it's because this is Pokemon and all, but I'm bummed that during DLC2 we didn't get any dialogue options that let us needle Kieran and knock him down a couple pegs. I absolutely wanted to call him like he was after beating his rear end.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Vandar posted:

Blue wasn't an rear end in a top hat. He was kind of a jerk and rough around the edges, but he was always giving you advice and hints on what to do next.

I think a lot of people get him and Gary from the anime mixed up. Gary WAS an rear end in a top hat right up until he washed out of the Indigo tourney.

He kept going after that too. Ash did beat him in a 6v6 in Johto. Ash’s Charizard beat Gary’s Blastoise which we found out was his starter, Squirtle.

He then decides to follow in his grandpa’s footsteps and become a professor.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gary did chill out in the anime eventually though but I forget how long it took

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

A retcon did occur during the Johto arc where they were made to be childhood friends like in the games rather then in the first season where it seemed like Gary and Ash were only acquaintances who were antagonistic to each other.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

First episode of Johto I think

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Sun/Moon having Red and Blue travelling the world together was a great little touch.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Teratrain posted:

They set Carmine up like she was wanted to be the mean rival like that poison gal in Isle of Armor, but she isn't nearly enough of an rear end in a top hat to actually keep it up once you're hanging out together. Any time I reluctantly agreed that Kieran was my friend, I was doing so because it's what my idiot best friend Carmine would want.

What the gently caress are you talking abo- oh my god the rival in Isle of Armor is different depending on what version you have? Well. I learned something today.
e: So she's just the same person as Avery except looks different and has a different team. Interestingly, Bulbapedia says she cheats in your final match by laying down Toxic Spikes before you even start. That's pretty neat. I just did that battle for the 4th time against Avery and it took me til the last time to even notice the battlefield begins as Psychic Terrain right off the bat.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 21, 2024

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Larryb posted:

The two episodes right before Johto began.

He shows up at the lab with his brand new Eevee, saves the gang from Team Rocket, he and Ash have a battle, and he takes off for the new region.

Most of his appearances in the Johto seasons having him way cooled down and more level headed.

Nanigans posted:

He kept going after that too. Ash did beat him in a 6v6 in Johto. Ash’s Charizard beat Gary’s Blastoise which we found out was his starter, Squirtle.

He then decides to follow in his grandpa’s footsteps and become a professor.

And that battle is fuckin' awesome because it starts off with Ash going 'sorry Pikachu, he's seen you fight a thousand times before, he knows all your tricks, you're sitting this one out so we can catch him off-guard'.

I think it's the one and only time in the entire series that Pikachu gets completely benched for a battle.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Carmine is “mean” to you for all of one conversation. She spends the entire rest of the dlc going “i-i-it’s not like I like you or anything!”

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I think some people don't really like Carmine because of the events of the Teal Mask where she basically locks Kerian out of the loop about Ogerpon, which eventually leads to the set up of Indigo Disk.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zuzie posted:

I think some people don't really like Carmine because of the events of the Teal Mask where she basically locks Kerian out of the loop about Ogerpon, which eventually leads to the set up of Indigo Disk.

I can't say I entirely agree with that reasoning. It seemed to me like the big trigger for Kieran's heel turn is the fact that Ogrepon decides to go with you instead of him, despite the fact that he's a Nice Guy. Hell, it's the whole reason he has the foresight to bring a Master Ball with him when you find Terapagos, because he knows that any Legendary Pokemon are going to automatically gravitate towards us and he isn't in the mood to get rejected twice.

I mean, yeah, Carmine keeping him in the dark about the goings on wasn't a very smart move, but that's not what really laid the groundwork for Indigo Disk.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

the_steve posted:

I can't say I entirely agree with that reasoning. It seemed to me like the big trigger for Kieran's heel turn is the fact that Ogrepon decides to go with you instead of him, despite the fact that he's a Nice Guy. Hell, it's the whole reason he has the foresight to bring a Master Ball with him when you find Terapagos, because he knows that any Legendary Pokemon are going to automatically gravitate towards us and he isn't in the mood to get rejected twice.

I mean, yeah, Carmine keeping him in the dark about the goings on wasn't a very smart move, but that's not what really laid the groundwork for Indigo Disk.

Yeah and the issue with lying does get resolved in Teal Mask, but Kieren had some deeper rooted issues than that. It doesn't even get brought up at all in Indigo Disk, he more had problems with you being the protagonist. And also him deciding not to go with Ogerpon to have time to bond with her didn't help matters.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kieran's whole arch didn't land for me, precisely because his main gripe becomes that the player is the main character of the story, which the game can't and won't really engage with (and I would have been pissed if Ogerpon couldn't be caught because Kieran got it). I feel like the whole "don't keep secrets and don't judge outsiders before getting to know them" part was resolved pretty well though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I like Carmine but it is pretty messed up she never apologizes to Kieran for how she treated him

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

BonHair posted:

(and I would have been pissed if Ogerpon couldn't be caught because Kieran got it)
I would have been happy with a compromise. Kieran gets Ogerpon for some in-game cutscene time, cut to "Three Months Later", can tell Ogerpon isn't happy, Ogerpon wants to go with us, Kieran realizes, lets her go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Many of the plots of the Scar/Vio peer-aged nemeses all were written around a central theme of bullying. Team Star was all about fighting back against it, yes, and the DLC had plenty of it too and not just in the form of sibling rivalry: the DLC's three poison-type anti-pals who've been tormenting the sweet pumpkin-head Ogerpon and stealing her masks were being forced to do so by a POI/FAE puppetmaster pkmn chaining them to being toxic rabble-rousers sowing discord :spooky::iiam::confuoot: