Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
EV sounds via tire/tread noise.

20 years from now: "Yo dawg, I gots new tires with the '89 Mustang five point oh sound treads" *drives down the street accelerating and slowing down (which makes backfire noises) repeatedly.

"Dam bruh thats tyte. My new tires got the 2019 civic type R with aftermarket blow off valve and Vtec tread pattern". *does the same poo poo, but instead of "v8" roar from the tires comes V-TACCC engaging followed by blow off valve noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

So you're saying we've wrapped around to pop cans jammed into the frame like a bicycle

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef93WmlEho0

Except with pitch-shifted engine noises.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

mekilljoydammit posted:

Tires have come along massively - modern 200TW street tires are probably roughly equivalent to 80s slicks. Downforce generation has come along massively - in the 80s they were basically inventing underbody based downforce and nowadays it's proven out enough you can best-guess shapes and get pretty close, much less what happens if you use any CFD. Shock absorbers, dampers, brakes, computer controls, chassis structures...

When they took the 919 out (which was not intended as a one lap wonder) it beat the 80s lap record by 50 seconds. VW group had all of that data handy; the ID-R should be able to be that much more extreme because it doesn't have any of the compromises necessary to do more than 20km on a charge, nor was it ever built to any rules. And yet...

A lot of assumptions and vagaries in this post.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Tires have come along massively - modern 200TW street tires are probably roughly equivalent to 80s slicks. Downforce generation has come along massively - in the 80s they were basically inventing underbody based downforce and nowadays it's proven out enough you can best-guess shapes and get pretty close, much less what happens if you use any CFD. Shock absorbers, dampers, brakes, computer controls, chassis structures...

When they took the 919 out (which was not intended as a one lap wonder) it beat the 80s lap record by 50 seconds. VW group had all of that data handy; the ID-R should be able to be that much more extreme because it doesn't have any of the compromises necessary to do more than 20km on a charge, nor was it ever built to any rules. And yet...

The ID R budget was about €25 million. The 919 Hybrid budget was around €200 million a year, and the program ran for 4 years. If VW had spent a billion dollars I’m pretty sure it would have gone faster. The ID R isn’t even a bespoke chassis, it’s a Norma M20 under there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a27582146/lifted-honda-civic-type-r-safari-rally-build/

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Apart from the exhaust pipes that's so hot.

E: obviously the exhaust will get hot, I mean they look funny and not thought out.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

fridge corn posted:

A lot of assumptions and vagaries in this post.

Do you care enough to read a wall of analysis text if I write it? Because I'm pretty sure I don't care enough to write one.

Short version is the Nurburgring is annoying to compare times to because the VLN stuff uses a different course configuration and mostly the only people who bother with the same configuration VW ran are people dickwaving production car lap times, which are always going to be pretty feeble compared to actual race cars. But it's easy to compare Bellof's old 956 lap record because they ran 962/956s everywhere back in the day.

drgitlin posted:

The ID R budget was about €25 million. The 919 Hybrid budget was around €200 million a year, and the program ran for 4 years. If VW had spent a billion dollars I’m pretty sure it would have gone faster. The ID R isn’t even a bespoke chassis, it’s a Norma M20 under there.

That's fine, but the 919 Hybrid actually had to compete under these things called "rules". Meanwhile, at something close to sea level, I'd wager an M20 with a good driver, in plain CN spec (not exotic 'strap horsepower to it' pikes peak variants) would be right around a 6 minute lap of the 'ring too.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My inner Hot Import Nights heart says a tuned Civic should be low low but my brain says better suspension will make it more comfortable.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Do you care enough to read a wall of analysis text if I write it? Because I'm pretty sure I don't care enough to write one.

Short version is the Nurburgring is annoying to compare times to because the VLN stuff uses a different course configuration and mostly the only people who bother with the same configuration VW ran are people dickwaving production car lap times, which are always going to be pretty feeble compared to actual race cars. But it's easy to compare Bellof's old 956 lap record because they ran 962/956s everywhere back in the day.

That's fine, but the 919 Hybrid actually had to compete under these things called "rules". Meanwhile, at something close to sea level, I'd wager an M20 with a good driver, in plain CN spec (not exotic 'strap horsepower to it' pikes peak variants) would be right around a 6 minute lap of the 'ring too.

LOL, gotta love the internet and its ability to mainsplain anything. Mate, I’ve seen the ID R run at Pikes Peak and the ‘Ring. I’ve seen Normas run at Pikes Peak too. The Norma has nowhere near the aero efficiency of the ID R, not its ability to punch out of slow corners.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

drgitlin posted:

LOL, gotta love the internet and its ability to mainsplain anything. Mate, I’ve seen the ID R run at Pikes Peak and the ‘Ring. I’ve seen Normas run at Pikes Peak too. The Norma has nowhere near the aero efficiency of the ID R, not its ability to punch out of slow corners.

That's nice. Why'd it only turn a 6:05 lap then?

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
One of my best friends works as a lot boy for a specialty garage that mostly works in British stuff, with a focus on Land Rovers and other offroad stuff. Occasionally he will have to do hotshot pickups, so he will offer to buy me lunch if I keep him company on the ride. This weekend we went to pickup one of the nicest Jeepsters I have ever seen:

The weekend before we delivered a Rolls Royce to a gentleman who also had a V12 Packard; it is all original save for paint and chrome:

And when we returned this Porsche (I have no idea what it is but I'm told it is a fiberglass re-pro body) was waiting in the bay:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gay Weed Dad posted:

And when we returned this Porsche (I have no idea what it is but I'm told it is a fiberglass re-pro body) was waiting in the bay:

Looks like a 356? I learned about that one in Gran Turismo Sport :v:

If the in-game handling is to be believed, it is the epitome of the classic Porsche. Read as: screw driver input, it'll turn whatever the hell direction it wants :colbert:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 10, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wrong thread.

Because I'll never have one :smith:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

RillAkBea posted:

Looks like a 356? I learned about that one in Gran Turismo Sport :v:

If the in-game handling is to be believed, it is the epitome of the classic Porsche. Read as: screw driver input, it'll turn whatever the hell direction it wants :colbert:

Early 911s where the same way.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ah I'm glad they finally figured out what those giant ugly plastic panels were going to be used for eventually! :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ah I'm glad they finally figured out what those giant ugly plastic panels were going to be used for eventually! :v:

Yep, glad they got the hole saw out and let it rip.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

That's nice. Why'd it only turn a 6:05 lap then?

You mean why did it set the second-fastest lap time ever at the circuit despite having a top speed of only 270km/h (when DRS was active)? Because modern tire technology, aero, and an all-wheel drive powertrain with instant torque makes for a faster laptime than a 956 (which is a bit lighter, a bit less powerful, and which has a much higher top speed).

If you're asking why it didn't get closer to the 919 Evo's time, could it be because the 919 Evo has about 500hp more and can go 100km/h faster in a straight line? Or could it be because you're a troll. I don't know.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Jesus Christ the EV bickering is bleeding into other threads :gay:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just wait until self driving vehicles are available to consumers, then it's gonna be a three way war.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just wait until self driving cars are mandatory, it’ll be Red Barchetta come to life

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

net work error posted:

My inner Hot Import Nights heart says a tuned Civic should be low low but my brain says better suspension will make it more comfortable.

What if I told you that the Type R feels like a normal Civic ride-quality wise in comfort mode

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BlackMK4 posted:

What if I told you that the Type R feels like a normal Civic ride-quality wise in comfort mode

Conflicted. I'd be happy that it's authentic to Civic experienceTM that I know and love, but sad that it's not better for the price

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
wat :psyduck:

What do you want out of the thing?

STI RA - 50k
305hp/290lbft
3380lb
18mpg avg
0-60 - 5.7
0-100 - 13.8
14.0@101mph
60-0 - 103ft
MT Lap - 87.56s

Golf R - 41k
292hp/280lbft
3325lb
24mpg avg
0-60 - 5.7
0-100 - 14.0
14.1@100mph
60-0 - 107ft
MT Lap - 87.9s

Focus RS - 42k
350lb/350lbft
3340lb
22mpg avg
0-60 - 4.7
0-100 - 13.2
13.5@101
60-0 - 109ft
MT Lap - 86.56s

CTR - 35k
306hp/295lbft
3096lb
25mpg avg
0-60 - 5.0
0-100 - 12.2
13.7@105
60-0 - 99ft
MT Lap - 85.45s

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 10, 2019

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Two fundamentally incompatible ideas of what a specced out Civic should be

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, so you aren't the target market, got it. The Civic EX-L or Accord is for you.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Does it? I only got a chance to drive one for about 15 minutes and it must have been in sport, because it felt as stiff and unyielding as an Audi R8.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Maybe it was in R+

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Best thing about Slack is the utter detail MKJD goes into why he's right. It's amazing what goes through that man's head.

TBH there is some bad design decisions that make it clear someone hasn't thought the build out well. So much Yeah Nah

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Maybe it was in R+

May well have been. It was intriguing and I've wanted to spend some proper time with one but Honda hasn't had any on the press fleet in a while.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Given the update coming soon, hopefully that will change :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yep, glad they got the hole saw out and let it rip.

It's a rally car - they should just cut the whole damned thing out and make it actually, you know, a vent.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Snowy posted:

Just wait until self driving cars are mandatory, it’ll be Red Barchetta come to life
Pedestrian safety standards and consumer preference for larger vehicles high driving positions have nearly killed sports cars, we're already almost there.

ET_375
Nov 20, 2013

Arcella posted:

I propose slide whistle

Electric trains can do it, why not cars?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRf30pVGMp4

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Arcella posted:

I propose slide whistle

Bubb Rubb knew.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

witness

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

:mediocre:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looks like a home built Popemobile.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

TBH there is some bad design decisions that make it clear someone hasn't thought the build out well. So much Yeah Nah

I know you mean the build into a rally car but what you said also applies to the original design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I know you mean the build into a rally car but what you said also applies to the original design.

Gimme an Integra Type R anyday - for looks and chassis