Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Trast posted:

If that happens what are goons going to project their weird sexual fantasies and convoluted gently caress laws onto?

There's still Video Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
And web-comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Okay so...what's the deal then? How come all the mutants are so chill with being recruited to the Xavier Institute?

(yes I know the parallel isn't exact but when you come out in a world that hates and fears you and there's a bunch of people saying "hey come on down we'll train you to use those powers so you're not lighting yourself on fire randomly and poo poo, also gently caress it you can live here if you need to")

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 25, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

TwoPair posted:

(yes I know the parallel isn't exact but when you come out in a world that hates and fears you and there's a bunch of people saying "hey come on down we'll train you to use those powers so you're not lighting yourself on fire randomly and poo poo, also gently caress it you can live here if you need to")

Actually the X-men are saying "come and die from Sentinels or Sabertooth or racists or exploding busses or w/e, also you might discover that you're a Summers". The Inhumans are saying "come and party in a city built by and for centuries of superpeople, you might the breakout character of the 2010s, also we killed the worst Summers".

Literally the difference between becoming Vulcan and destroying Vulcan.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I loved the xmen as a kid in the 80s/90s, but I'm down with the inhumans now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Squizzle posted:

we killed two of the worst Summerses.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Cable's not dead.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SilverSupernova posted:

Cable's not dead.

Give netflix a little more time

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

TwoPair posted:

Mutants aren't chill with it. Like I can't think of a single character in recent memory who didn't resist the process and require an adjustment period before really settling in to the school. Even at the height of the mutant race, Xavier's was still mostly seen as a last-ditch haven for people who had no other recourse.

I guess I should just read the pre-ANAD books to see what the initial indoctrination process was like for these characters, because my thing right now is that it's hard to really immerse myself in what appears to be shoddy worldbuilding and engage with the Nuhumans as real characters when they haven't really responded to this situation realistically (again, from what I've read) (which is a lot, frankly). And it's not as if there haven't been a lot of worse Marvel books out there with a lot worse worldbuilding :v:, this is just the one that's bugging me the most as I read it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Actually the X-men are saying "come and die from Sentinels or Sabertooth or racists or exploding busses or w/e, also you might discover that you're a Summers". The Inhumans are saying "come and party in a city built by and for centuries of superpeople, you might the breakout character of the 2010s, also we killed the worst Summers".

Literally the difference between becoming Vulcan and destroying Vulcan.

Slavery? We stopped doing that like... A week ago, don't worry about it!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

BrianWilly posted:

Mutants aren't chill with it. Like I can't think of a single character in recent memory who didn't resist the process and require an adjustment period before really settling in to the school. Even at the height of the mutant race, Xavier's was still mostly seen as a last-ditch haven for people who had no other recourse.

I guess I should just read the pre-ANAD books to see what the initial indoctrination process was like for these characters, because my thing right now is that it's hard to really immerse myself in what appears to be shoddy worldbuilding and engage with the Nuhumans as real characters when they haven't really responded to this situation realistically (again, from what I've read) (which is a lot, frankly). And it's not as if there haven't been a lot of worse Marvel books out there with a lot worse worldbuilding :v:, this is just the one that's bugging me the most as I read it.

Okay, literally none of this 'they were instantly okay with it!' stuff happened, though. A few of them it got brought up with as backstory, instead of as something they were going through at the current time, but basically of the ones I remember -

Inferno - His mom got killed by the genesis, he hated the Inhumans for awhile, but his powers literally were burning the flesh from his bones, so he had to go with them to not die from his own power. In the time he was there, he met others and decided he liked it, and found a home for himself.

Iso - Was being hunted by her government as a monster/weapon, and found somewhere that accepted and wanted to keep her, after a long journey of a lot of people wanting to use her or kill her.

Naja - Became a literal snake woman, who was afraid of being what she was and literally almost suicidal because of her looks, until the Inhumans took her in and she was treated like any other Inhuman. Found that she loved her powers and body, and saving other inhumans.

Panacea - Was captured and shown off as a freak show in a racist riot against non-humans in australia, and was literally being tortured and planned to be killed, until the Nuhumans saved them.

Nur/Frank McGree - Woke up with super glowy eyes. The NYPD forced him to retire because he was a freak. His wife left him because she couldn't love someone who wasn't human. He had nothing left, and decided to break into Atillan to find a home. Was given a prominent position in security due to his tenure in the NYPD, and found love + a home again.

It's important to note that while Inhumans aren't subject to X-Men level racism, a lot of them 'look' like they should be Morlock level mutants, not the X-Men's pretty mutants.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man those are some bottom of the barrel names.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Slavery? We stopped doing that like... A week ago, don't worry about it!

Dang, another point for the Inhumans: As far as I know, the X-men have never formally declared they will not keep slaves.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay, great, "all of the Nuhumans at New Attilan are the battered and downtrodden, hoping for a new life" is a solid explanation. Why it took a page and a half for someone to go into it instead of being like "Lol being at the Inhumanz Clubhouse is the best!! Everyone should want to do it!!" is beyond me. (I appreciate Blind Azathoth's post too)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

BrianWilly posted:

Okay, great, "all of the Nuhumans at New Attilan are the battered and downtrodden, hoping for a new life" is a solid explanation. Why it took a page and a half for someone to go into it instead of being like "Lol being at the Inhumanz Clubhouse is the best!! Everyone should want to do it!!" is beyond me. (I appreciate Blind Azathoth's post too)

Yeah, basically it's a good place to make a life, and when everything goes to hell and everyone hates you, being in a place that is full of loving, caring people who honestly think of you as family, as is Crystal's MO and to a lesser extent Medusa's, it's pretty good for encouraging these people whose entire world was thrown upside down.

At the same time, what other people said was also true - Inhumans who don't undergo Genesis feel like they were Meant For Something More. Like they were special, and important, and just waiting for their chance to shine. So some will jump at the chance for that. Thus far it's been more of a thing for villainous inhumans to embrace that aspect, though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The difference in appeal is part of what centrally differentiates Inhumans from Mutants and why I always roll my eyes whenever someone calls the former a knockoff of the latter.

The mutants approach the X-gene as a responsibility, down to coming up to young mutants and warning them about the dangers of living amongst humans. The idea, most exemplified by the Phoenix Force, which is a central figure in all of their most famous stories, is that being a mutant is a double-edged sword of incredible power that must be controlled and understood and respected. So when young mutants are whisked away, they're brought to an academy - further continuing the analogy of learning to understand and appreciate, but most importantly control, their abilities. It's an outgrowth of how society views them - as a marginalized Other, so they've to a degree internalized that outside loathing and there's a constant edge that they have to be the best possible examples of their race that they can be. Again, it's a disenfranchised minority narrative.

In contrast inhumans approach the Inhuman gene and Terrigenesis as this massive privilege and honor - where mutants receive their abilities sometime during adolescence (so there's a sexual awakening/puberty angle to the mutant transformation), Inhumans usually go through terrigenesis electively, of their own free will. There's a reason they emerge from cocoons - it's a metamorphosis, a clear realization of their full abilities. And they approach it that way as well - I've mentioned this several times before but the Inhumans view terrigenesis as an essential right of all sentient races, because it's an honor to be Inhuman. So over the mutants forming this weird society on the fringes, borne of marginalization, the Inhumans have formed a strict caste structure with them at the top. And their structures are a natural outgrowth of that worldview.

Becoming an Inhuman means that you're now a member of an elite race, a literal kingdom of people, with a King and Queen, who view themselves as better than everyone else because of their gifts. They have a royal city and all these amazing powers and abilities, because ostensibly every person who was in New Attilan was there willingly. Inhumanity is considered a war crime (and Black Bolt has been so thoroughly humiliated and lost his kingdom and virtually all the old Inhumans are outright disgusted with him) because he turned what should be a choice and turned it into a violation, forced a planet full of people to submit against their will. But the culture is still there, and that's how they lure the NuHumans back to Attilan - their entire culture codifies being Inhuman as the absolute pinnacle of what it is possible to be. Everyone likes feeling like they're an elite, over the mutants going up to pubescent kids and going "you're gonna have to literally go to school to make sure you know how to use your powers right, because you could blow everyone up, be a Summers, or probably both". They're natural extremes in how an outside minority is able to view itself and how those extremes of self-view inform their culture.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Why it took a page and a half for someone to go into it instead of being like "Lol being at the Inhumanz Clubhouse is the best!! Everyone should want to do it!!" is beyond me. (I appreciate Blind Azathoth's post too)

Cause Fraction/Soule's set-up was a few years ago and the comics are now more focused on adventure and Inhuman nightclubs.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Squizzle posted:

Dang, another point for the Inhumans: As far as I know, the X-men have never formally declared they will not keep slaves.

Genosha, Utopia, and all the other mutant nations didn't even have slavery to ban. Mutant nations had chattel slavery for 0% of their existence. Inhuman nations had chattel slavery for 99% of their existence.

Checkmate Inhumanailures.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They actually banned slavery, and then later decided "no wait slavery was better" and brought it back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Why it took a page and a half for someone to go into it instead of being like "Lol being at the Inhumanz Clubhouse is the best!! Everyone should want to do it!!" is beyond me.

Look I'm sorry I'm phone posting a lot and don't have time/patience to write out very long bullet-pointed posts (thank you KittyEmpress) but if you don't appreciate my boy Squizzle's quality posts, :frogout:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its alright except if you're the guy who can teleport people anywhere.

If they walk into his mouth.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Use the doormat you bastards!"

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Its alright except if you're the guy who can teleport people anywhere.

If they walk into his mouth.

also the guy who got turned into a dog.

edit: it's definitely a guy who got turned into a dog, dogs don't have the inhuman gene.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mimir posted:

also the guy who got turned into a dog.

edit: it's definitely a guy who got turned into a dog, dogs don't have the inhuman gene.

No, he's not a guy. That was a joke played on Ben Grimm.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Toad is a slave janitor.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Okay, literally none of this 'they were instantly okay with it!' stuff happened, though. A few of them it got brought up with as backstory, instead of as something they were going through at the current time, but basically of the ones I remember -

Inferno - His mom got killed by the genesis, he hated the Inhumans for awhile, but his powers literally were burning the flesh from his bones, so he had to go with them to not die from his own power. In the time he was there, he met others and decided he liked it, and found a home for himself.

Iso - Was being hunted by her government as a monster/weapon, and found somewhere that accepted and wanted to keep her, after a long journey of a lot of people wanting to use her or kill her.

Naja - Became a literal snake woman, who was afraid of being what she was and literally almost suicidal because of her looks, until the Inhumans took her in and she was treated like any other Inhuman. Found that she loved her powers and body, and saving other inhumans.

Panacea - Was captured and shown off as a freak show in a racist riot against non-humans in australia, and was literally being tortured and planned to be killed, until the Nuhumans saved them.

Nur/Frank McGree - Woke up with super glowy eyes. The NYPD forced him to retire because he was a freak. His wife left him because she couldn't love someone who wasn't human. He had nothing left, and decided to break into Atillan to find a home. Was given a prominent position in security due to his tenure in the NYPD, and found love + a home again.

It's important to note that while Inhumans aren't subject to X-Men level racism, a lot of them 'look' like they should be Morlock level mutants, not the X-Men's pretty mutants.

There was also the entire first arc of New Warriors 2014 where that inhuman kid who ends up joining the New Warriors had the whole identity struggle before his family is murdered by that inhuman gang who rejected Medusa's royalty and considered themselves superior to both humans and mutants.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait the mists aren't a choice they happened because Black Bolt is a huge prick. Who isn't even around anymore because monarchy got in the way of them being a X-men knockoff, which they are.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If it's on Marvel Unlimited, everyone should read Thor 132-133. First appearence of Ego, and has the Rigellian Recorder that most recently popped up in Gillen's Iron Man. Just some good sci fi Thor. At the start of 133, Thor makes a passionate plea for the Recorder not to be destroyed after fulfilling its mission. The only negative, is that it's another infamous case of Kirby realizing he's running out of pages and wraps the story up in a couple panels. I love it though, because you get the feel that Jack just draws his books like they're a stream of conciousness.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait the mists aren't a choice they happened because Black Bolt is a huge prick. Who isn't even around anymore because monarchy got in the way of them being a X-men knockoff, which they are.

If you read more than the first paragraph of that post, you'd see where they acknowledge the change and how that's changed the Inhumans a bit. It was just beginning with 'this is the historical precedent that causes the current world'

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

KittyEmpress posted:

If you read more than the first paragraph of that post, you'd see where they acknowledge the change and how that's changed the Inhumans a bit. It was just beginning with 'this is the historical precedent that causes the current world'

I was pointing out how dumb it was to use info that isn't relevant to try and make a point yes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Geez, we get it you dislike the Inhumans :jerkbag:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

(and Black Bolt has been so thoroughly humiliated and lost his kingdom and virtually all the old Inhumans are outright disgusted with him)
I really just have to say that this part is just flat-out...like, bluntly incorrect. Part of the reason I even got caught up up the new Inhumans books was to see what had befallen Black Bolt based on people who keep saying that he's been appropriately punished, and part of the reason I leave these books feeling underwhelmed is that Black Bolt is just...like, doing perfectly fine. What consequences has he faced for his "war crime?" He's not king of an entire species anymore but he's still living the high life, he still holds a ton of power -- practically acting as a bona fide kingpin now -- and the Inhumans in his presence still treat him respectfully and referentially. This is in contrast to the, y'know, hundreds who are sick and dying from what he did.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

No, he's not a guy. That was a joke played on Ben Grimm.

Well it was an insanely poorly timed one considering the context (Pietro wanting to put Luna through Terrigenisis against Crystal's wishes because he didn't want his daughter to be 'normal'. Lockjaw speaking up was the only thing that stopped him.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I bristle with anticipation of the inevitable 'Inhumans declare they are better than everyone, use Inhuman of the Event to actually anex Earth' event.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And only one man can stop them.

Luckily, he's on the Right side.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

I bristle with anticipation of the inevitable 'Inhumans declare they are better than everyone, use Inhuman of the Event to actually anex Earth' event.

The Kree were just for practice. :radcat:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I like Inhumans and Mutants, and think they are both cool, and that the only thing the Inhumans have 'stolen' from the X-Men is being the newest source of young, fresh characters. Instead of being shipped off to school for a school year as a way to get new characters, they wander into this kingdom etc.

I think that's okay, because I also liked Avengers Academy.

Otherwise, i Don't feel like they steal much narrative from the X-Men, besides adding another way for Mutants to be in danger.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Marvel just needs to go whole hog and turn all the classic Xmen into genocidal villains like they did with Cyclops.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Trast posted:

Marvel just needs to go whole hog and turn all the classic Xmen into genocidal villains like they did with Cyclops.

Jean Grey - yep
Beast - The worst
Angel - yep
Iceman - the only one left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There was that evil Iceman that Nightcrawler killed in X-Force.

• Locked thread