Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arc Light posted:

At the Bataan Memorial Death March. I swore I would never do it again, but here I am. RIP knees and feet.

If I never post again, someone please shitpost on my behalf.

Tell everyone you're doing it to demonstrate how everyone on the real death march was a giant pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

One of the things I've been impressed with living so close to Mexico is how good mexican beer can be. Even their garbage swill is better than anything here in the states aside from MAYBE Highlife. Montejo, Modelo and Noche Buena are all pretty solid cheap poo poo

How are you posting on the internet from 1973?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arc Light posted:

At the Bataan Memorial Death March. I swore I would never do it again, but here I am. RIP knees and feet.

Grandma's first husband died there. Worked out pretty well for me. For her too...apparently he was an abusive drunk, so she married an Irish-American and things improved.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Arc Light posted:

Hey man. Would love some insight and advice on this. Prepping, gear, local area, etc. I learned of it too late to do it this year but I want to do it because my grandpa is a Bataan survivor. Next year I'll be deployed (standing by for shaming) but hopefully the year after. I wish I'd known of it sooner cause he is getting up there in age.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

New Belgium brewery evidently has a line of cheap beer now that is really good. I picked up a 15 pack of Dayblzaer easygoing ale for 15 bucks.

https://www.liquormart.com/new-belgium-dayblazer-easygoing-ale-15-pack-cans-32677.html

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

loving people and your cheap beer.

Just drink micro brew's and scoff at bud light drinkers like the rest of us douches jeeze.

*fedora nod*

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Its fine as long as the channel you are watching is not currently in high demand. Trying to watch football was hopeless.

Sports aren't really my thing besides the Cubs anyhow, so that's not a huge deal. I really just want poo poo like Comedy Central and History and Travel channels for miscellaneous bullshit shows like Mysteries at the Museum and Alone. Enjoyable background noise so I don't waste another night on antenna tv like Macgyver.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MurderBot posted:

loving people and your cheap beer.

Just drink micro brew's and scoff at bud light drinkers like the rest of us douches jeeze.

*fedora nod*

Just drink beer that tastes good. :shrug: If it's worth a couple dollars more for a pack of stuff that tastes better, go for it. If somehow you think Bud Light is the pinnacle of alcoholic beverages...well, ok.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Godholio posted:

Just drink beer that tastes good. :shrug: If it's worth a couple dollars more for a pack of stuff that tastes better, go for it. If somehow you think Bud Light is the pinnacle of alcoholic beverages...well, ok.

Yeah cuz it's obviously coors light.

Gonna give costco light beer a chance next time I go. Also if I could find rainier tall boys I'd buy that too.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Saw Patriot's Day. Pretty okay movie if you don't hate Mark Wahlberg, glad didn't really focus TOO much on him.

loving lol at Dzokhar's roommates not snitching him out in favor of getting stoned off his weed.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Saw Patriot's Day. Pretty okay movie if you don't hate Mark Wahlberg, glad didn't really focus TOO much on him.

loving lol at Dzokhar's roommates not snitching him out in favor of getting stoned off his weed.

420 harbor terrorists erryday :350:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Stultus Maximus posted:

How are you posting on the internet from 1973?

Where are you getting monte and nocha stateside?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Sports aren't really my thing besides the Cubs anyhow, so that's not a huge deal. I really just want poo poo like Comedy Central and History and Travel channels for miscellaneous bullshit shows like Mysteries at the Museum and Alone. Enjoyable background noise so I don't waste another night on antenna tv like Macgyver.

You should be fine then. I didn't have any problems with it in 4 or 5 months outside of the aforementioned, but I watch so little TV that the 4 channels I get off the antenna suit me just fine.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Booblord Zagats posted:

Where are you getting monte and nocha stateside?

I've gotten Montejo, Modelo, Tecate, Sol, Pacifico Clara and more in bumfuck North Idaho, 100 miles from the canadian border

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 19, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You should be fine then. I didn't have any problems with it in 4 or 5 months outside of the aforementioned, but I watch so little TV that the 4 channels I get off the antenna suit me just fine.

Sweet.

I spend way too much time watching tv, but I also sleep to it. Netflix cuts off after 3 episodes of whatever and Hulu is just finally running dry on anything that lulls me to sleep (and I can only fall asleep to Ancient Aliens so many times). It's nice having something that isn't infomercials about boner pills at 3am when I can't sleep and need a little media ambien.

Thinking between dropping netflix/hulu, I might throw money at mlb.tv this year. Would be nice to watch more than the occasional Cubs game vs the Rockies that's broadcast.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I might throw money at mlb.tv this year. Would be nice to watch more than the occasional Cubs game vs the Rockies that's broadcast.

if you have t-mobile you can get it free in april for the season

if not look in sa-mart, lots of people have buy-ins for an account for like 25-30 bucks

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I bought into it years ago with someone from here, maybe Richie Himself?

I have a friend back east that wants in on a package anyhow. Didn't know about the tmobile tie-in and I was looking at changing to them anyhow, so that might be the route I go.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.t-mobile.com/mlb

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gracias senor.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I think I got the hospital to pay for a 6 day course of Tactical combat EMS/swat training.

I should find out Monday, if they approve it.....hahahhahahahhahhahahhahahhaha

I'll be in Houston in May if any of you people wanna touch tips

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What is a nice crock pot that is only for a family of 3 folks?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The second from cheapest at Walmart?

I mean, they're almost all the same. Wouldn't be surprised if they all came from the same factory from china.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
https://i.imgur.com/GrQosJb.mp4

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

I bought into it years ago with someone from here, maybe Richie Himself?

I have a friend back east that wants in on a package anyhow. Didn't know about the tmobile tie-in and I was looking at changing to them anyhow, so that might be the route I go.

Yeah that was me. I think it's cheap enough now that you don't really need to split it with other people. They do a veteran discount that knocks the price of the single team package down to $57 from $87. They also have a student discount now, but I'm not sure how good it is.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Ah man, some passive aggressive baby didn't like new retro wave and changed my avvy.

I wish whoever did it would take their own advice!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arc Light posted:

If you fall out do they have a Japanese dude kill you with a sword and kick you in the ditch? Pretty loving lightweight otherwise imo

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

FastestGunAlive posted:

Hey man. Would love some insight and advice on this. Prepping, gear, local area, etc. I learned of it too late to do it this year but I want to do it because my grandpa is a Bataan survivor. Next year I'll be deployed (standing by for shaming) but hopefully the year after. I wish I'd known of it sooner cause he is getting up there in age.

Your grandfather is a tough dude. Those guys made it through unimaginable hardship.

Fair warning, I'm an airman and my only real rucking experience has been getting ready for the death march, so I can only speak from personal experience. It's actually a pretty good time, if you're prepared for it.

I was in the military heavy category, which requires participants to wear fatigues, boots, and a minimum of 35 lbs in a rucksack. Other categories are military light (uniform, LBE, and canteen), civilian heavy (whatever clothing you want + 35 lb pack), and civilian light (basically a marathon, wear what you want). The civilian categories are open to military personnel, if you don't feel like wearing a uniform.

I wore my deployment multicams and Danner Tachyon boots, with probably 200 miles on them already. They're as lightweight as sneakers, and super comfortable. I'm not sure about your branch of service, so I don't know if you could get away with wearing them in uniform. For my bag, I wore the Army's standard large ruck on a plastic frame. Padded shoulder/belt straps are a must. For socks, I wore two layers. A thin, tight inner layer to reduce friction against my foot, and a regular outer boot sock. I also slathered some anti-chafe balm on my feet, shins, and shoulders to reduce friction. It worked pretty well. I didn't develop a single blister.

For preparation, I started from scratch walking 4 miles with 25 lbs, three times a week. Over the course of a month, I gradually added weight and distance until I was doing 8 miles with 35 lbs. I didn't really have the free time to go further than that, so I figured I would just beast the whole 26 miles.

I lost my boonie hat last year, so I had to settle for a patrol cap. It's not ideal for spending time outdoors in the desert, but oh well. If you have a boonie, wear it.

Finally, sunblock is critical if you're a white guy like me. I'm as white as the driven snow, and I got cooked doing the march last year. This time around, I applied sunblock every 90 minutes, so my face and arms aren't peeling off at the moment.

This year was the hottest on record since they started 28 years ago. Hundreds of participants were evacuated by truck as heat casualties, and a few were medivacced out on Army helos for more serious injuries. I passed a dude receiving CPR from a medic. Hydration is critical. Water/gatorade and medical stations are located every two miles along the trail, so there's no excuse for dehydration.

That said, I always enjoy it. The atmosphere is great, there are servicemembers from all over the world participating, and I actually feel something resembling esprit de corps. I'm the least moto guy alive, so that's saying something. Bataan survivors come out to kick off the competition, and one of them (99 years old!) walks the first 8 miles. That's a hell of a motivation not to wuss out midway through.

fake edit: another preparation that just occurred to me. Stock your hotel room with beer and food the day before, because you probably won't want to walk around much after the competition. White Sands Missile Range is midway between Las Cruces and Alamogordo. From what I remember of your post history, you're a Marine(?) If you have a military ID, your cheapest/best places to stay are the billeting facilities at White Sands or the nearby Holloman Air Force Base. The Army Inn at White Sands gets booked up many months in advance, but the Air Force Inn at Holloman still had rooms available a couple weeks before the competition. Space-A rooms tend to be 60 bucks a night, and even the air base is closer to White Sands than anything you could fine in Alamogordo.

More info about the march can be found here:

http://bataanmarch.com/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm at a workshop on how to trap and identify invasive green crabs in Washington and found out there's a barnacle that settles on both female and male crab reproduction organs and destroys and replaces them to breed themselves.

I love nature.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm at a workshop on how to trap and identify invasive green crabs in Washington and found out there's a barnacle that settles on both female and male crab reproduction organs and destroys and replaces them to breed themselves.

I love nature.

We don't care about your visits to the free clinic.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Slim Pickens posted:

If you fall out do they have a Japanese dude kill you with a sword and kick you in the ditch? Pretty loving lightweight otherwise imo

I formally volunteer to follow along and hit people with bamboo if they start to slow down

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Slim Pickens posted:

They should. My buddy bragged he was in such good shape that he could do the (civilian light category) march with no prep. He fell out at the 14 mile mark and had to take a long ride back on the short bus. If beheading was a real option, maybe he would have pressed on.

Pesticide20 posted:

I formally volunteer to follow along and hit people with bamboo if they start to slow down

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

I love nature.

:goonsay:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i spent a not insignificant chunk of my morning in an online argument with a holocaust denier who turned out to not only be a german, but also a nazi. it was weird though, he kept getting butthurt when i countered all his arguments by mostly calling him a nazi. he even tried to claim that himmlers polsen speech was talking about deportation when words like "exterminate" were used. claimed the pogroms against the jews were justified because "international jewlrey" declared "war" on germany in 1936 in the new york times. been a long time since i felt such a strong urge to kill someone through the internet

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i spent a not insignificant chunk of my morning in an online argument

it was at this point, you lost

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

TBeats posted:

it was at this point, you lost

i know, and i knew when it started

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Your either talking to Shim or a Nazi if the person on the internet mentions the international Jewry.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I say that as Shim. I approve this message.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why the gently caress am I third personing it up?

I took a few fun pills to make my daily THC intake more fun and holy gently caress you guys should be happy I'm too stoned to go upstairs or I'd be leaving antisemetic quotes and notes on jet fuel RE: steel beams on every other posters rap sheet.

But not you guys you guys are cool.

Being Jewish has never been too bad a thing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
not international jewry, international "jewlrey". i guess kay, zales and jared declared financial war on hitler, so theres your casus belli. also france and the uk allegedly started ww2, not germany. and how could nazis be racist? the ss was the most multicultural military force ever! :wtc:

• Locked thread