Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pick posted:

there are a lot of non-canon ships :q:

Yeah and they all look like poo poo

STO.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's a regular starship-based adventure except everyone can telecommute. Know how they mostly just push buttons, on the bridge or in engineering or whatever? Yeah, you can get those buttons on your iPad now. You just open the VPN and you're at work. Don't even have to put on your uniform unless there's a videoconference or hailing frequencies to an alien ship, and even then, only the top half of the uniform is really necessary.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

I see Jeri Ryan on Twitter talking about how they offered her a role in Nemesis just as a negotiation tactic to lowball a TNG female member who was NOT Troi. So Crusher, then. Scum bag move

McFadden was always getting boned in pay on the Trek movies and did them to keep the cast together (plus there were the pesky contracts; everyone except Spiner signed movie deals that had an option for another one, so everyone negotiated for Generations and Insurrection but were obligated to do First Contact and Nemesis). She was especially pissed about Insurrection (first because Crusher had gently caress-all to do, second because it completely ignored the Picard / Crusher lingering romance) and basically refuses to talk about it, and of course the entire cast except Spiner pisses on Nemesis at any opportunity they get.

Timby fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 6, 2018

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Timby posted:

McFadden was always getting boned in pay on the Trek movies and did them to keep the cast together (plus there were the pesky contracts; everyone except Spiner signed movie deals that had an option for another one, so everyone negotiated for Generations and Insurrection but were obligated to do First Contact and Nemesis). She was especially pissed about Insurrection (first because Crusher had gently caress-all to do, second because it completely ignored the Picard / Crusher lingering romance) and basically refuses to talk about it, and of course the entire cast except Spiner pisses on Nemesis at any opportunity they get.

I saw Spiner answering a question about why Nemesis was hated and he joked that "they killed this popular character." And I'm like that was YOUR idea!

Where are you getting all this juicy McFadden gossip? I'd love to read it. I don't think it was covered in the 50 Year Mission book. Also McFadden doesn't age, it's madness

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Part of it is in The Fifty-Year Mission, part of it is in Fade In, part of it is from convention appearances.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Alan_Shore posted:

Also McFadden doesn't age, it's madness

She really doesn't. Actually, the whole TNG cast looks good. I've been looking up current pictures of them since the announcement, and they all look like they could easily make guest appearances. Frakes (and Spiner, but that's a whole different issue) probably looks the least camera-ready, but so did Mark Hammil in 2014.

Edit: Make Data the voice of the computer.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 6, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've been having a laugh with one of my friends wondering if Stewart's gotten a bit bored with his current marriage and wants an excuse to make out with young actresses again. She rewatched all of TNG over the course of a year and got increasingly skeeved by how his romantic pairings kept getting younger (culminating in Stewart kissing a 17 year old).

Ugh, I have to admit, I am not terribly excited by the prospect of Picard coming back. I have a hard time believing his presence is going to be much more substantive than "see? see? we got the dude you like! this means you'll like all our other stuff too, right??"

And holy christ am I not interested at all in the astropolitical intrigue of the Federation and its neighbors, if you want to do Tom Clancy In Space go fuckin' call David Weber or something. I would hope they'd stick Picard on a big explorer ship and fling it out into the deeps where we would hardly if ever meet any of the prior antagonists.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I love that in certain shots of Nemesis, you can actually see the tape they're using to pull back Spiner's double chin.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Ugh, I have to admit, I am not terribly excited by the prospect of Picard coming back. I have a hard time believing his presence is going to be much more substantive than "see? see? we got the dude you like! this means you'll like all our other stuff too, right??"

I'm torn; part of me thinks that he'd do it only if he really, really liked the pitch he heard, but then I remember that pitch came from Alex loving Kurtzman, which means it's almost certainly going to be a barf-inducing eight-episode nostalgia-packed miniseries, and that Stewart's not above slumming it in poo poo like X-Men: The Last Stand or that lovely direct-to-video Dragonheart sequel.

Timby fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 6, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lester Shy posted:

She really doesn't. Actually, the whole TNG cast looks good. I've been looking up current pictures of them since the announcement, and they all look like they could easily make guest appearances. Frakes (and Spiner, but that's a whole different issue) probably looks the least camera-ready, but so did Mark Hammil in 2014.

Edit: Make Data the voice of the computer.
I can’t remember if someone linked it here or the GBS thread, but Gates was in a recent music video and she’s pretty fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d4tiSwoIHY

Timby posted:

I love that in certain shots of Nemesis, you can actually see the tape they're using to pull back Spiner's double chin.

I would very much like to see this

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

(culminating in Stewart kissing a 17 year old).

What episode was this? Because I don’t remember that happening at all, but it’s been a while.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The only way they could really make peace with the Borg is if the the Borg converted from an aggressive hegemonizing swarm to an evangelical hegemonizing swarm.

But the shows really need to stop with the Borg.

I'd be happy if they just avoid the Borg entirely, but if they were going to use them again then I think a really good Picard story would be if the Borg had given up on trying to beat the Federation. Set up that after a bunch of failed invasions they have done a cost/benefit analysis and decided that the cost of assimilating the Federation is higher than the potential gain to the collective and so as long as the Federation doesn't attack them they will leave them alone.

It could lead into very TNG themed questions such as what is a worthy price for peace, especially if the Borg are still picking off non-Federation members. Do you stay uninvolved for the greater good (which the Prime Directive suggests would be the Starfleet view), or do you do the right thing even if it will cost you?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

What episode was this? Because I don’t remember that happening at all, but it’s been a while.

The actress who played Marta in "Tapestry" was 17 years old when she shot the episode. Stewart would have been 53.

It's also worth mentioning again that once he loosened up, Stewart was a legendary horndog on the set, renowned for chasing skirts, eventually leaving his first wife for a torrid affair with Jennifer Hetrick.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Timby posted:

The actress who played Marta in "Tapestry" was 17 years old when she shot the episode. Stewart would have been 53.

Oh wow, that’s kinda gross.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

:staredog:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Senor Tron posted:

I'd be happy if they just avoid the Borg entirely, but if they were going to use them again then I think a really good Picard story would be if the Borg had given up on trying to beat the Federation. Set up that after a bunch of failed invasions they have done a cost/benefit analysis and decided that the cost of assimilating the Federation is higher than the potential gain to the collective and so as long as the Federation doesn't attack them they will leave them alone.

It could lead into very TNG themed questions such as what is a worthy price for peace, especially if the Borg are still picking off non-Federation members. Do you stay uninvolved for the greater good (which the Prime Directive suggests would be the Starfleet view), or do you do the right thing even if it will cost you?

I like that idea that sometimes pops up in this thread about the Borg moving on to just recruiting human volunteers for assimilation through spreading propaganda and such in the Federation. It would be an interesting question to ask whether you would allow this to happen in your perfectly democratic utopia, especially if the Borg are still involved in forcible assimilation elsewhere, maybe even in a distant part of the galaxy that doesn't even affect you.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Timby posted:

Part of it is in The Fifty-Year Mission, part of it is in Fade In, part of it is from convention appearances.

I've been meaning to read Fade In for a while. Do you recommend it?

It's a shame that even tho the cast are such good friends, they couldn't band together for some kind of group negotiations to keep it fair. Unless it was secret negotiations or they were looking out for themselves first.

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Powered Descent posted:

It's a regular starship-based adventure except everyone can telecommute. Know how they mostly just push buttons, on the bridge or in engineering or whatever? Yeah, you can get those buttons on your iPad now. You just open the VPN and you're at work. Don't even have to put on your uniform unless there's a videoconference or hailing frequencies to an alien ship, and even then, only the top half of the uniform is really necessary.
Jokes aside you actually could do some interesting and resonant things here, especially if the Picardmobile isn't typically intended for front line warshipping. Holopresence. A largely autonomous crew, a ship that only has thirty or forty people on it because otherwise people will actually go insane (and also, something might need maintenance). Fulfill the concept art for TNG originally. Have a whale.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well he didn't write or call it at least

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

I've been meaning to read Fade In for a while. Do you recommend it?

Yeah, Fade In is a really fascinating read for a multitude of reasons; Michael Piller just being loving done with Trek at that point is palpable on the page, and you really get an explicit look into why it's a bad idea to give actors extensive creative control. Stewart really hosed with the movie a lot because he could never decide what sort of movie he wanted to make, and because First Contact was such a smash success he successfully negotiated an associate producer credit for himself on Insurrection, giving him a ton of input on the script. So first he'd say he wanted the movie to be a really intensely personal story for Picard, so Piller wrote a draft based on his original Heart of Darkness idea (this is when Spiner was saying he wouldn't do the movie unless Data got whacked). Then Stewart was like, "Wait, no, this is too dark, we need a light-hearted adventure and Picard needs a love interest." So Piller would write another treatment. And then Stewart would be like, "Wait, no, this is poo poo, Picard needs to be an action hero. Can we have a fight with Romulans?" And so it would go back and forth, with Spiner also giving his notes about what he wanted for Data (pretty much none of which he got, so he did the movie for Stewart-level money), and the rest of the cast like McFadden and Sirtis saying, "Wait, why are our characters even in this movie, they do nothing!"'

Insurrection has its moments, but it's a movie that absolutely was boned by Stewart's interference and Piller already being mentally checked out at that point. The book does have one amazing anecdote that I'll never forget, though (and it was re-printed in The Fifty-Year Mission). One of Piller's treatments had been circulating around Paramount (the cast, Rick Berman, etc.), and Piller had Ira Steven Behr take a look at it too, as they were still very close friends and Piller trusted his judgement. Piller recounts, "Ira came into my office, sat down, sighed and took off his glasses. Ira never takes off his glasses."

quote:

It's a shame that even tho the cast are such good friends, they couldn't band together for some kind of group negotiations to keep it fair. Unless it was secret negotiations or they were looking out for themselves first.

I mean, they did what they could, but Paramount was never going to get into another favored-nation contract situation like they had had with Shatner and Nimoy (when Nimoy finally signed on to do The Motion Picture, he told his agent, "Don't go nuts and ask them for anything fancy, just insist that anything Shatner gets, I get too, and vice-versa"). And then you had guys like Spiner who held up Paramount for money on each new movie, Stewart demanding more and more money (and control) as time went on, and the rest of the cast getting table scraps, because it's not like Paramount was going to be forking out huge salaries and budgets for movies that were never huge moneymakers in the first place.

Really, everyone first got hosed on Generations because not only did they have to get the cast signed to movie deals, but they had to pay Shatner's full $6 million salary (he had taken a pay cut on The Undiscovered Country so DeForest Kelley could finally break the $1 million payday ceiling), and they also had to fork out Nimoy / Kelley money to get Doohan and Koenig to do it, as the latter two were smart enough to realize that they were fallback choices so they had some leverage. And all of that came out of a budget that was around $25 million (before Sherry Lansing first gave Berman another $5 million so they could do location shooting, and then another $5 million to re-shoot the ending in addition to some other pickups; if memory serves, Picard's Nexus experience of his family Christmas was partially re-shot literally a month before the movie's release).

Timby fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 6, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

Piller had Ira Steven Behr take a look at it too, as they were still very close friends and Piller trusted his judgement. Piller recounts, "Ira came into my office, sat down, sighed and took off his glasses. Ira never takes off his glasses."

Ha, I just looked him up, and yes, there are no photos of his eyes. Also, he looks like he could be Artie from Warehouse 13's rebel brother.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ira Steven Behr has a serious case of randomized character creator appearance

e: beaten with evidence

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love the story where they got Ira in and showed him the first few scripts for enterprise and he was all "I gave them what I thought was really helpful feedback and was surprised they never got back to me" and Braga is like "so we called Behr in and he just shat all over the show, tore it to shreds, hated the characters, hated the premise. We were really put out by it."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ira's a good man, looking forward to the DS9 documentary (that I kickstarted, you're welcome).

Thanks Timby, for all that info! Definitely gonna read it. It really is incredible, this is why creative control is so dangerous. Sounds like Stewart just wanted to shoot people and bang ladies, which... OK, but that's not Picard. And Spiner was just done with Data. Funny thing is now I'd bet he be gagging to get back in on it.

For the Picard show, if you had just one person to show up from TNG, who would it be? For me it would be my man Riker. Love to see what he's been up to, especially now that he's a captain himself. Hopefully Frakes can get on the treadmill for a bit first

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ro. She (and Michelle Forbes) got screwed over. I honestly have much more interest in what happened with her than I do in Yet More Worf, Yet More Data, whoever Geordi’s creeping on now, or the Rikers’ adventures aboard the USS Lollipop.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brawnfire posted:

I love this.

"So, we're painting the bottom of the ship."
"Are we gonna see that?"
"In spacedock, maybe, but after that, no."
"Are the enemies gonna see that?"
"We'll mostly be cloaked and, well, it's space so probably nobody would get that close."
"Okay. What's it for then?"
"FOR THE GLORY OF THE EMPIRE!"

To be fair, that paint was apparently slapped on because the ship prop had been designed as a Federation ship the Romulans had hijacked to stage false flag attacks. The paint was thrown on when the writers decided to just make it a Romulan warship.

Something similar is how we got the Klingon bird of prey in Search for Spock. It had been designed to be a Romulan ship that some Klingons had stolen, and later changed to just be a Klingon ship because they thought audiences would be confused by a band of Klingon pirates out for revenge stealing a Romulan ship with which to fight Kirk.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, that paint was apparently slapped on because the ship prop had been designed as a Federation ship the Romulans had hijacked to stage false flag attacks. The paint was thrown on when the writers decided to just make it a Romulan warship.

And then Wah Chang destroyed the model in frustration in his backyard after someone at Desilu ratted him out to the propmakers' union (of which he was not a member and was not permitted to join--Bob Justman came up with the ingenious idea of saying that the props Chang had designed and built were actually bought off-the-shelf from his warehouse space, and so he falsified purchase orders, but someone alerted the union that Chang was actually just designing and building the props and models at home), which is the reason they came up with Romulans using D-7s as a "technology exchange" with the Klingons when it came time to make "The Enterprise Incident."

There was a lot of fuckery that went on with The Original Series.

Cythereal posted:

Something similar is how we got the Klingon bird of prey in Search for Spock. It had been designed to be a Romulan ship that some Klingons had stolen, and later changed to just be a Klingon ship because they thought audiences would be confused by a band of Klingon pirates out for revenge stealing a Romulan ship with which to fight Kirk.

That still pisses me off, as the Klingons had never used any bird-like imagery, and then all of a sudden when Nilo Rodis-Jamero was told that the script had been changed and it was just a Klingon ship, he shrugged and just kept the design as-is. loving ILM laziness.

skasion posted:

Ro. She (and Michelle Forbes) got screwed over. I honestly have much more interest in what happened with her than I do in Yet More Worf, Yet More Data, whoever Geordi’s creeping on now, or the Rikers’ adventures aboard the USS Lollipop.

Forbes didn't get screwed over; she's the one who declined to be on Deep Space Nine, not wanting to commit to a full-time television schedule for potentially multiple years (which resulted in the role being rewritten to be Kira Nerys). She offered to do some guest shots, but it was figured there'd be no point to having two cranky Bajorans on the station.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tighclops posted:

TOS was the right confluence of poo poo at the perfect time, you can see contemporary space shows try basically the same thing and miss the mark totally because they couldn't nail the formula. Nobody really cares about UFO with Ed Bishop, for example despite being part of the Gerry Anderson canon

(all his shows were terrible just like Irwin Allen, the only reason to watch them was the kickass miniature FX)
UFO is a frustrating show because it has a loving great premise, but because it was ITC they just used their regular pool of reliable hacks to knock out the scripts. So half the episodes of this supposedly grown-up show are barely any more advanced than a Thunderbirds story, and most of the rest are standard Sixties action-adventure fare that just happens to have aliens instead of spies as the baddies. (It didn't help that a hiatus in filming caused by having to move studios meant that many of the actors playing the secondary characters found other work, so there wasn't even a consistent cast.)

I'd actually love to see a remake, because UFO could have really great potential if done right. Although now people would probably accuse it of being a ripoff of XCOM...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alan_Shore posted:

Ira's a good man, looking forward to the DS9 documentary (that I kickstarted, you're welcome).

Thanks Timby, for all that info! Definitely gonna read it. It really is incredible, this is why creative control is so dangerous. Sounds like Stewart just wanted to shoot people and bang ladies, which... OK, but that's not Picard. And Spiner was just done with Data. Funny thing is now I'd bet he be gagging to get back in on it.

For the Picard show, if you had just one person to show up from TNG, who would it be? For me it would be my man Riker. Love to see what he's been up to, especially now that he's a captain himself. Hopefully Frakes can get on the treadmill for a bit first

Nick Locarno. Having completed his prison sentence his admiral dad pulls some strings to get him a second chance, and he's the helmsman for the Enterprise

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

I love the story where they got Ira in and showed him the first few scripts for enterprise and he was all "I gave them what I thought was really helpful feedback and was surprised they never got back to me" and Braga is like "so we called Behr in and he just shat all over the show, tore it to shreds, hated the characters, hated the premise. We were really put out by it."

Which is absolutely poetic considering that when DS9 was in development, Braga poo poo all over the concept.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Which is absolutely poetic considering that when DS9 was in development, Braga poo poo all over the concept.

Yeah, Berman was skeptical about not having it on a starship but was willing to go along with it because Piller came up with the wormhole concept (and at that point they were already starting early conversations about Voyager), but Braga just completely shat on it and told Piller that no one would ever give two shits about a space station.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Nick Locarno. Having completed his prison sentence his admiral dad pulls some strings to get him a second chance, and he's the helmsman for the Enterprise

How dare you troll me like this

Edit: Braga and Berman, just the absolute worst. We're lucky we got any quality Trek at all

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

How dare you troll me like this

Edit: Braga and Berman, just the absolute worst. We're lucky we got any quality Trek at all

Berman deserves a little bit of credit for keeping the trains running on time during the madness that was the early years of TNG and constantly running interference for Roddenberry's madness, basically being the shield that let Michael Piller get the writing staff on track. And Braga, of course, was a hell of a writer, especially when paired with Ron Moore.

It's when Berman got his god complex and decided that he was now the keeper of Roddenberry's legacy (and also decided he wanted to be a writer), and Braga got promoted well beyond his capabilities to being a producer instead of a writer, that everything went to loving poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Braga has been doing a good job on The Orville I'd have to say

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Timby posted:

Yeah, Berman was skeptical about not having it on a starship but was willing to go along with it because Piller came up with the wormhole concept (and at that point they were already starting early conversations about Voyager), but Braga just completely shat on it and told Piller that no one would ever give two shits about a space station.

This gets more and more hilarious in retrospect as I cannot imagine anyone caring about Voyager now in the same way that people still do about DS9. Would a Voyager documentary kickstarter get half the attention that the DS9 one did in a few years when it has its 25th anniversary?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are a lot of people who do really care about Voyager, they just don't post here. Part of that is demographics.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I don't know, it seems Voyager is way more mainstream popular than DS9 :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, Voyager is several orders of magnitude more popular than DS9 among the general public and even the fandom as whole outside of forums like this.

It probably helps that Voyager reruns have stayed in syndication pretty much nonstop since its finale, whereas I haven’t seen DS9 on cable for at least a decade. Anyone watching DS9 today either has Netflix, Hulu, or the DVDs. Voyager is rerun on at least two or three cable channels every week.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Deep Space 9 is often the favorite Trek series of people who really care about sci-fi, but that's not most people. It does have the best fandom of the Treks in my opinion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It’s true, I know a guy who is a big Star Trek fan who goes to conventions with his wife, has the uniforms etc. He loves Voyager the most of any Treks.