Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You should make your own songs you teach to a scarecrow who will rearrange them to suit the mood and time of day. Most people aren't good at composing original music, literally because Zelda games have never taught them. We'd all be composing geniuses by now if Nintenso cared at all about its obligation for music education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I'm not gonna rank all the soundtracks here, but I never liked the sounds of the MIDI era. The 8-bit chiptune slaps, the later orchestral stuff rocks. For some reason the MIDIs in Wind Waker actually sounded good before sounding fake and bad again in TP. Everyone loves praising the OoT score but imo it just sounds like someone loving around on a free sheet music program for a sec, like it's the shadow produced by the light of actually good music. If you're limited to digital music, lean into that imo, make sounds that sound synthetic instead of pretending you have an orchestra. Except Wind Waker, that sounds good and I don't know why.

tp is the only one where the instrument samples weren't very good imo
OoT and MM's soundtracks are amazing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the clock town theme is probably the best song in the series tbqh

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Counterpoint (heh): Dragon Roost Island

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Clock town might be the best town, but loses points for fixed camera and segmented areas

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Khanstant posted:

Clock town might be the best town, but loses points for fixed camera and segmented areas

clock town doesn't have a fixed camera

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 13, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
this is peak dungeon music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEkq3Ro_M80

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Forest temple theme was great. I'm working on a zelda-II like game but I've been listening to a bunch of the temple themes from OoT for soundtrack inspiration

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1635140637338259457

The Majora's Mask ones are fantastic too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBtrlcXy3QA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0CHxYBaROw

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Manoueverable posted:

BotW would absolutely not have been improved with bombastic overworld themes. I'm imagining listening to like 2 hours straight of TP's Hyrule Field and that would make me lose my mind after 2 sessions. Ambient stuff that you can still recognize works way better with games like BotW or Xenoblade 3 compared to their predecessors because they fit the tone and atmosphere of the world.

hence why it's very good to listen to while you're working (in my case, writing fiction). the overworked exploring tracks are so good for that. I'm annoyed the only way to officially buy the soundtrack is through an expensive cd on amazon, and it's not on Spotify or iTunes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Khanstant posted:

You should make your own songs you teach to a scarecrow who will rearrange them to suit the mood and time of day. Most people aren't good at composing original music, literally because Zelda games have never taught them. We'd all be composing geniuses by now if Nintenso cared at all about its obligation for music education.

I mean, Nintendo tried; it's just our fault for failing them, I guess? :shrug:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This is easily my favorite dungeon theme.

https://youtu.be/U0nEiTkZ3Nk

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://gamerant.com/the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-skipping-pax-east/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Augus posted:

clock town doesn't have a fixed camera

Then it's been too long since I've replayed because I thought I remember a few areas having awkward cameras just like OoT did in some places. In my head there's a rupee or kid hidden behind or top of a building and it's only "hidden" because the camera doesn't point that way.

Does MM have a PC port coming?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Greetings. I started this game for the first time this weekend. I will probably be unemployed soon.

So far I have died several times, but I paraglided off the plateu and beat that metal door shrine near the stables and then I got the horse. I unlocked the lake shine and ran from some lizards. I think I need to find Kakariko village.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Greetings. I started this game for the first time this weekend. I will probably be unemployed soon.

So far I have died several times, but I paraglided off the plateu and beat that metal door shrine near the stables and then I got the horse. I unlocked the lake shine and ran from some lizards. I think I need to find Kakariko village.

It’s a quest that you can toggle the location on your map. Go there and do the thing, make sure you find Hestu (big fat Korok) on the main road to it. after Kakariko you’ll get a teaser to go to Hateno village where you’ll do another thing. After that, go anywhere and do anything you want.

Or….

Just keep going rogue now! :q:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Don't make me tap the sign again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSeEk1TVQqk

I loved the sparse music in BotW as merely hinting at old themes in piano plunks *really* fit the post-cataclysm vibes, but nothing does bombast like Zelda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sslj06K-Nlw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyMluaZDRik

I need to stop or I'll just post every absolutely boss piece of music in the series.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
You don't really "need" to do anything as such, by design, and there are a whole host of places you can go and things you could do to get stronger and go back to kick the poo poo out of those lizards. Just pick a direction or destination, and off you go really. If Kakariko Village sounds intriguing, then that's as good a place as any. I don't know if you have any idea where it is yet, but if you do, then go for it. If not, don't. If you do go for it, and find yourself getting distracted on the way or like it's just being too annoying to find or reach due to enemy difficulty, then there's a whole slew of other things you can do to build yourself up to reach there eventually. The game is pretty open ended that way.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I can't believe we'll have this game in two months. We've been waiting longer than the length of my brother and sisters marriages combined

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I beat Vah Medoh last night and I really really liked the music.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked the Vah Rudania dungeon theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzPZfSR5TWU

I wish you got to hear the full mixes of the divine beast themes for longer

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Have y'all thought at all about what kind of character you're going to make for Tears? I think I'm going to play as Hylian who wears a long t shirt

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't care about clothing, but if I can't name him Lonk I'm sending that game down the garbage disposal

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Have y'all thought at all about what kind of character you're going to make for Tears? I think I'm going to play as Hylian who wears a long t shirt

I'm probably going for a cat Link. Normally I'm not a big fan of cats as characters, but it just feels appropriate for Tears of the Kingdom

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The intersection of himbo and twink

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Linkle when

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Linkle but maintaining her Hyrule Warriors moveset would be amazing in a regular Zelda game. Just a whirling maelstrom of crossbow bolts everywhere.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm going to play as Link abs probably break a number of swords, spears, shields, and skulls.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Augus posted:

tp is the only one where the instrument samples weren't very good imo
OoT and MM's soundtracks are amazing

I agree with TP being worse than OoT, but OoT still sounds mostly cheesy to me. Forest Temple theme is cool obvs.

Speaking of, why is the TP soundtrack so bad, just on the "these instruments sound fake as hell" level? I guess they were going for something a little more synthetic with the twilight themes, but everything else is such an obvious step back from WW.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Wind Waker’s music is a swashbuckling adventure whereas Twilight Princess was just like a generic redo of OoT (in its music and everything else). Honestly I think WW has my favorite music in the entire franchise.

Plus I never get tired of watching this guy.

https://youtu.be/uRv8gnBMiWM

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean TP still had some great music that was very much uniquely it’s own. the twilight realm songs, midna’s Lament, the Ganondorf fight with those heavy drums.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Augus posted:

I mean TP still had some great music that was very much uniquely it’s own. the twilight realm songs, midna’s Lament, the Ganondorf fight with those heavy drums.

Okay this is true and fair. TP music and Midna’s Lament are both total bangers. I like the Hyrule Field theme as well honestly.

But WW’s music is on a whole other level for me so anything else feels pale in comparison.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
As much as the Twilight music in TP sounds neat, I'll never hear the battle theme as anything but trumpets farting at random.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

ChocNitty posted:

I can't believe we'll have this game in two months. We've been waiting longer than the length of my brother and sisters marriages combined

To be fair incest marriages are best ended quickly.

Can't believe it's been 6 years since the original.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Augus posted:

khanstant screaming at the piano guy to play faster like JK Simmons in whiplash

It can be arranged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHchy93oitg

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s a quest that you can toggle the location on your map. Go there and do the thing, make sure you find Hestu (big fat Korok) on the main road to it. after Kakariko you’ll get a teaser to go to Hateno village where you’ll do another thing. After that, go anywhere and do anything you want.

Or….

Just keep going rogue now! :q:

I decided to keep going rogue and did three more shrines plus tamed a horse. I really need to find some friggin armor. Moblins can one shot kill me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol, gotta visit those towns then. It’s fun to just gently caress off and go wherever, but it’s much easier for new players to get to at least Kakariko once they leave the plateau before going rogue.

There’s a stable on the other side of Dueling Peaks, follow the road north from there.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 14, 2023

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cartoon Man posted:

Lol, gotta visit those towns then. It’s fun to just gently caress off and go wherever, but it’s much easier for new players to get to at least Kakariko once they leave the plateau before going rogue.

There’s a stable on the other side of Dueling Peaks, follow the road north from there.

Either that or find a cooking pot and experiment with stuff you've collected. Or both.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I decided to keep going rogue and did three more shrines plus tamed a horse. I really need to find some friggin armor. Moblins can one shot kill me.

Don't worry too much, you will be overpowered before you know it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I do recommend finding Hestu at some point. I managed to completely miss him in my first playthrough, even following the game's recommended intro path, but the stuff you get from him is pretty necessary in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Turns out I was real close to Kakariko anyway. I did a bunch of stuff. Found Hestu and the great fairy. Bought a tunic and a hood. Talked to some kind of ninja that attacked me.