Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
As I recall, SOM actually had a pretty outstanding PC port that could scale down to play on even the spuddiest of machines.

E: Well I guess calling it a port is technically incorrect because I think Monolith worked on it alongside the console versions, in house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I bought Arkham Knight at release even tho everyone said it was broken. Everything worked perfectly fine at 60fps and i thought "lol people must have potato pc's :ultramegasmugface:". Then i got the Batmobile and went "hell yes", jumped in that poo poo and as i started revving the engine and spinning the wheels the game instantly crawled down to 2 fps and my PC bluescreened. Refunded :burger:

I rebought it recently tho and finished it, it was working fine then.

The SoM port was great tho, no problems, huge amount of PC specific options and etc.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

As I recall, SOM actually had a pretty outstanding PC port that could scale down to play on even the spuddiest of machines.

E: Well I guess calling it a port is technically incorrect because I think Monolith worked on it alongside the console versions, in house.

Yeah, Monolith did the PC version in house and it was a fantastic thing that could run on two cans and a piece of string at 1080.

Also SoM was not "very quietly good", it won nearly every GOTY press award the year it came out. Granted it wasn't running against nearly as stacked a field as SoW will this year, but it lost like two or three GOTYs out of the entire industry, and I think one was GDC GOTY to DA:I so lol.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think by "very quietly good" they're referring to the marketing. As I recall, SoM didn't get a ton of hype leading up to its release. People saw the description of the Nemesis system, rolled their eyes and went "yeah I'm sure it'll totally live up to those promises." At release, it wasn't marketed like a AAA game and it took a couple days for the internet gaming community at large to realize that it really delivered on all of its promises and from there it was mostly good reviews/word of mouth. It did rightfully get honored come awards time, but at release it was kind of low-key.

At least, that's how I remember it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I bought it because it was Batman with swords. I was not disappointed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I definitely paid it zero attention and, in fact, got it confused with LOTR War in the North, which had come out years earlier. :v:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Zaodai posted:

I bought it because it was Batman with swords. I was not disappointed.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I was/am way above interested in Lord of the Rings and i instantly scooped up the game when it was announced and fawned over every trailer released. If i wasn't a giant bitchboy back then afraid of posting i probably would have made a thread about it in Games!

edit: ↓↓↓ haha :P

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 3, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
When you made this thread I had a brief "But... I make Mordor threads..." moment, like a tiny baby.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Mordor came out of nowhere in a way that's normally pretty difficult to do. It was sweet. Also the thread title speaks directly to the best part of the game.

GoneRampant posted:

Persona, Zelda and Neir

It'll be a tossup between Persona and SoW for me (with Horizon trailing close behind) but that's a personal thing. Hyrule Skyrim will win all official rewards - Best Story, Best Racing Game, Best Simulator, Best Game Ever Please Don't DDOS Our Site... all of them. Neir will get a lot of honorable mentions.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Orv posted:

You'll get abused and used like an old wallet and you'll like it.

Yeah that's fair, it's totally reasonable to be concerned about this stuff, especially given that Monolith's parent company is WB, but even with their rash of poo poo ports and crazy decisions, WB has never been a real fucker with RMT and that sort of thing. It does worry me that they've been sort of skittish about talking about it, aside from some small notes in the last stream (which I will get notes for in a day or two I swear), but we'll find out I guess.
After Arkham Knight (and Mortal Kombat X to some extent) there is no loving way I'll pre-order this game. Maybe Microsoft will teach them how to do QA and long-term support given that this is being sold in the Windows Store. Say what you will about Games for Windows Live but MS always made sure the games ran well.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

After Arkham Knight (and Mortal Kombat X to some extent) there is no loving way I'll pre-order this game. Maybe Microsoft will teach them how to do QA and long-term support given that this is being sold in the Windows Store. Say what you will about Games for Windows Live but MS always made sure the games ran well.

Monolith is doing the PC version in house, like they did for SoM, which ran fantastically on basically any vaguely modern system. Obviously there are other reasons you shouldn't pre-order it, but it will be more than likely technically sound, not a farmed out port.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"You can have a situation where a hype man comes out to hype out an Olog and then gets thrown at you."

More detailed notes for the last two streams at some point.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Orv posted:

"You can have a situation where a hype man comes out to hype out an Olog and then gets thrown at you."

More detailed notes for the last two streams at some point.

oh

my

god

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

That sounds awesome. There better not be a sudden RE4-style "press a button to dodge flying orc or die" QTE, because that would be BULLSHIT. On the other hand, "death by projectile Orc" is probably the funniest way to die I can think of, so I'm torn.

Edit: It would be even funnier if the guy who got flung at you got the credit for the kill.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 6, 2017

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i watched this week's stream, gonna hijack orv's post

7 tribes: marauder, mystic, machine, terror, feral, warmonger, dark
orc can't change tribes
grunts dont have a tribe, probably

some orcs look like beast, from x men

some orcs have bombs
tricksters have smoke bombs

cant recruit captains that are higher level than you, you can shame them to lower their level
shaming can mess up and turn the orc into reek
can also backfire and they get stronger instead

orcs you dominate (not called branding currently) do their own thing more often, sometimes pick fights with each other

something that happened in a game they played:
an overlord had a fear of poison but he had poison vents in his castle for some reason, so when the fight started he ran away immediately. his bodyguard had a hatred of cowardice so he went and killed the overlord

you can drain rats
you cant drain spiders or maybe you can but you shouldnt

some orcs can summon drakes and graugs but cant ride them

drakes sometimes drop down out of nowhere, pick up an orc, and fly off with them

those eye of sauron towers in the minas ithil video are fast travel towers

cutting an orc in half permakills them

legendary gear levels up so you can get one and use it the entire game

gorm the angry is enraged by everything and is almost impossible to beat

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

TWIST FIST posted:

an overlord had a fear of poison but he had poison vents in his castle for some reason, so when the fight started he ran away immediately. his bodyguard had a hatred of cowardice so he went and killed the overlord
So now there's Orc Commisars? Cool.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

shaming can mess up and turn the orc into reek

What's a 'reek'?

quote:

cutting an orc in half permakills them

Well...in the old game sometimes 'permakilled' did show up again. Let's hope that continues, somehow.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I want to see the bottom half of one orc stitched to the top half of another, with some mix of both their traits.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bloodly posted:

What's a 'reek'?

Well...in the old game sometimes 'permakilled' did show up again. Let's hope that continues, somehow.

Have you not watched game of thrones or read the books?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Bloodly posted:

What's a 'reek'?

It's a guy on Game of Thrones that's been tortured so much he hardly functions anymore.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Reek... it rhymes with weak!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I wish the original game had an NG+ mode because I need to vent this hype somehow before August.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dongattack posted:

It's a guy on Game of Thrones that's been tortured so much he hardly functions anymore.
And then he comes upon a Behilit.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

TWIST FIST posted:

I'm hoping this isn't some set piece they scripted because having that stuff go off at random would make for the best experiences.

Shumagorath posted:

I wish the original game had an NG+ mode because I need to vent this hype somehow before August.

This. I've played it through to 100% twice and wish there was more. The next game would have to seriously screw everything up to kill the hype.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

TWIST FIST posted:

an overlord had a fear of poison but he had poison vents in his castle for some reason,
I hope they don't fix this.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sindai posted:

I hope they don't fix this.
I feel like I've seen captains with Fear of Caragors going on hunts and instantly running away but it's been awhile.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 31, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It turns out the Terror clan is rather peaceful because Warmonger took all their best ideas and did it better.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

I feel like I've seen captains with Fear of Caragors going on hunts and instantly running in fear but it's been awhile.

Reminds me of this one Captain who was all like "You think that pet of yours is gonna do you any good,Ranger? :smug:" then immediately ran away screaming.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shumagorath posted:

I feel like I've seen captains with Fear of Caragors going on hunts and instantly running in fear but it's been awhile.

That was totally a thing that would happen in SoM, so you're not misremembering.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

quote:

Q. So will we be getting new gameplay footage, or just new information?
A. When the stuff that we are touring for comes out, there will be a ton of new footage for sure.

What does "touring for" mean? I've never heard that term before.

Got it from the Shadow of War discord, there's a guy there that writes down all the answers to questions asked on the stream and where he can find it. You are allowed to go there and read it, but you are not allowed to chat with people there because you belong to this thread and i know where you live.
https://discord.gg/MZtjzbn

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

all I wanna know is: will this game devolve into a piss-easy babyman difficulty like 40% through it, like the first game? Seemed like only 2 or 3 basic abilities and upgrades you get in the first game completely trivialized a shitload of tense invasions and fights. I really hope you don't get to go God Mode with overpowered poo poo again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DLC Inc posted:

all I wanna know is: will this game devolve into a piss-easy babyman difficulty like 40% through it, like the first game? Seemed like only 2 or 3 basic abilities and upgrades you get in the first game completely trivialized a shitload of tense invasions and fights. I really hope you don't get to go God Mode with overpowered poo poo again.

Considering some of the stupidly broken abilities we've already seen, I would not count on this.

Like goddamn the amount of poo poo Celebrimbor's been doing while Talion is fighting is ridiculous.

Though it might be more tedious since we have levels and loot so stat gates might be a thing!

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Not buying any of the health upgrades in the first game made it pretty tough if you got careless.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dongattack posted:

What does "touring for" mean? I've never heard that term before.

Got it from the Shadow of War discord, there's a guy there that writes down all the answers to questions asked on the stream and where he can find it. You are allowed to go there and read it, but you are not allowed to chat with people there because you belong to this thread and i know where you live.
https://discord.gg/MZtjzbn

They're going to be at E3, and will likely have a stage demo of some kind from the way they were talking last week. They will probably also show up at something else, though I can't keep track of game poo poo these days between the nine hundred different PAXes and the four GDCs.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

DLC Inc posted:

There is a difficulty slider now and immunities/uruk skills are more advanced. IDK they say all the time that it's MUCH HARDER now, but i think it would be wise to hold off on stuff like health upgrades until you absolutely need it. If that is even possible this time around tho, health seems to come from the new gear you get.

Edit: ^^^ ah yeah ofc, "touring for" as in touring E3/PAX or whatever

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 8, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dongattack posted:

There is a difficulty slider now and immunities/uruk skills are more advanced. IDK they say all the time that it's MUCH HARDER now, but i think it would be wise to hold off on stuff like health upgrades until you absolutely need it. If that is even possible this time around tho, health seems to come from the new gear you get.

honestly a difficulty slider sounds like a good compromise from the start. in the first game I def held off in my second playthru when it came to health or rune upgrades but I'd rather it's just a challenging game instead of one I need to gimp myself in order to not get bored. It would have been better if they just used a normal human instead of this uberghost dweeb again.

Munaus
Jan 10, 2015

DLC Inc posted:

quoting one of the answers from a link that was posted in this thread earlier

"We’ve tried to make it more challenging for one, especially on the harder difficulty level. We’ve focused in particular on the abilities, weapons, variety and behaviors of the enemies. Now they can adapt to your strategies, and they have ways to counter or challenge all of your skills and strategies. Through the Nemesis System, Orcs are now more cunning with regards to when they choose to ambush the player or even leading them into traps. We have increased the scale of the battles as well, so you’ll face powerful captains, while also having to deal with hordes of enemy grunts."

I don't think we have to be worried to be too OP this time.

I hope...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Munaus posted:

quoting one of the answers from a link that was posted in this thread earlier

"We’ve tried to make it more challenging for one, especially on the harder difficulty level. We’ve focused in particular on the abilities, weapons, variety and behaviors of the enemies. Now they can adapt to your strategies, and they have ways to counter or challenge all of your skills and strategies. Through the Nemesis System, Orcs are now more cunning with regards to when they choose to ambush the player or even leading them into traps. We have increased the scale of the battles as well, so you’ll face powerful captains, while also having to deal with hordes of enemy grunts."

I don't think we have to be worried to be too OP this time.

I hope...

Yeah I saw something about Easy being like the old game while Normal and then Hard are much more hardcore. I want nonstop Nemesis fuckers to constantly hunt me and make my life hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I just want to lose sometimes :v: I felt like i missed out on at least half the game with SoM cause 30 years or autismal nerding has rendered me horribly overpowered in babby difficulty games :negative:

• Locked thread