Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
If you use your card why are you so concerned with people that use change anyway

Seems kind of petty and you just want to flail and get mad for no real reason. :shrug:

Though I admit I get a little annoyed when someone is in front of me in line counting out 84 cents in pennies. But not annoyed enough to really give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Cole posted:

If you use your card why are you so concerned with people that use change anyway

Seems kind of petty and you just want to flail and get mad for no real reason. :shrug:

Though I admit I get a little annoyed when someone is in front of me in line counting out 84 cents in pennies. But not annoyed enough to really give a poo poo.

The issue is that the US mint is making GBS threads away hundreds of millions of dollars a year of taxpayer money making pennies, not that we get stuck behind grannies with big change bags at the gas station (though that sucks too)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Coins are more reliable for machines than dollar bills, and it's a bit much to demand everything go digital (one power outage and everybody will freak out). I wouldn't want to see coinage eliminated entirely.

Although I would like to see bitcoin dead and in a ditch, but that's another matter entirely.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

SlothfulCobra posted:

Coins are more reliable for machines than dollar bills, and it's a bit much to demand everything go digital (one power outage and everybody will freak out). I wouldn't want to see coinage eliminated entirely.

Although I would like to see bitcoin dead and in a ditch, but that's another matter entirely.

It's funny how Americans point at so many ideas and say 'but it's completely unworkable in real life!' while other countries have been successfully implementing the idea for years or decades.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheCenturion posted:

It's funny how Americans point at so many ideas and say 'but it's completely unworkable in real life!' while other countries have been successfully implementing the idea for years or decades.

It's only successful if America does it, because the United States of America is Exceptional by god's grace.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

SlothfulCobra posted:

You can't really buy anything with physical currency during a power outage except from a street vendor, because practically all Point of Sale terminals are digital.

You may be thinking of network outages, but networks have become so much more stable over the years that now it usually takes a power outage to knock one out.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

SlothfulCobra posted:

Naw, it's fine. Dollar bills are insanely retarded though. Canada has that poo poo on lockdown. 1 and 2 dollar coins are a really good idea.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Paper Kaiju posted:

You can't really buy anything with physical currency during a power outage except from a street vendor, because practically all Point of Sale terminals are digital.

You may be thinking of network outages, but networks have become so much more stable over the years that now it usually takes a power outage to knock one out.

Virtually all stores here, even the smaller ones, have battery-powered NFC-enabled systems that connect via a standard GSM mobile network. If you have one of these you could probably still function during a power outage provided the mobile network is still up and running (they're pretty robust).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Austrian mook posted:

Naw, it's fine. Dollar bills are insanely retarded though. Canada has that poo poo on lockdown. 1 and 2 dollar coins are a really good idea.

Nah I'd like to never have coins really. Plus canada also has a proud tradition of hucking loonies and twonies at strippers. Which doesn't affect me, but let's try to think of everyone's wellbeing.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 25, 2015

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

IRQ posted:

Nah I'd like to never have coins really. Plus canada also has a proud tradition of hucking loonies and twonies at strippers. Which doesn't affect me, but let's try to think of everyone's wellbeing.

I've never heard of anyone doing that, and they're not spelled twonies. That would be ridiculous.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Austrian mook posted:

I've never heard of anyone doing that, and they're not spelled twonies. That would be ridiculous.

Sorry, I forgot to link it. And why aren't they spelled that way? It's ridiculous that it isn't.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

IRQ posted:

Sorry, I forgot to link it. And why aren't they spelled that way? It's ridiculous that it isn't.

They're spelled Toonies, like Loonie, which is called that because it has a loon on it... It makes a lot of sense.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Austrian mook posted:

They're spelled Toonies, like Loonie, which is called that because it has a loon on it... It makes a lot of sense.

But the toonie is two canada funbux, so it should be a twonie, or a twoonie.

I mean it just makes sense.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

IRQ posted:

No. Its spelled Toonie. Its even built into my spell check.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

IRQ posted:

The one-dollar coin is called the Loonie, as it features a loon. Therefore, the two-dollar coin is the Toonie, which sounds like 'Twoonie.' But if it were so spelled, would appear to be pronounced 't'woonie.' And that would just be silly.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They're named after Looney Toons. Obviously.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Yes, it would certainly be a travesty of Biblical proportions if there were an English word whose spelling made the correct pronunciation ambiguous.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
We should really just call it the Polar Beary for consistencies sake.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Austrian mook posted:

Beary was very much in the mix!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

IRQ posted:

I've never heard of this tradition before this article but I'm sure given it's Alberta is more about makiing it rain

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

IRQ posted:

Oh that's just Alberta dude, that place is loving weird. Think of it like the Canadian Texas

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Austrian mook posted:

Oh that's just Alberta dude, that place is loving weird. Think of it like the Canadian Texas

I thought that was secessionist Quebec. Or are they your South Carolina?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gyges posted:

I thought that was secessionist Quebec. Or are they your South Carolina?

Quebec is its own beast, not really comparable to anything in the US. South Carolina is northern BC.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

It's obviously too much of a mouthful but I liked "the queen's bear butt."

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Austrian mook posted:

Quebec is its own beast, not really comparable to anything in the US. South Carolina is northern BC.

I thought Quebec was only allowed to exist because it produces a steady stream of hot women with sexy accents. :confused:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Klaus88 posted:

I thought Quebec was only allowed to exist because it produces a steady stream of hot women with sexy accents. :confused:

and poutine, and hockey players.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Quebec is Canada's Canada.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Austrian mook posted:

and poutine, and hockey players.

And don't forget all that sweet, sweet asbestos.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gonz posted:

My "Cash, most of the time" policy is backed up by the fact that many years ago, my debit information was stolen by some sort of malicious device affixed to a gas station pump.

The following day, my bank called me and said they placed a temporary lock on my account because they thought it was unusual that someone two states over tried to buy $1,800 dollars in electronics at a Wal-Mart.

Ever since then, I only use plastic if I absolutely, positively have to. And even then, I won't hand my card over to anyone. I have to be able to swipe it myself. Otherwise, no dice.

Skimmers are still common and are still a threat, however this is exactly why you should use credit, not debit. Your bank account would not be at risk and you have better protections against unauthorized charges in general, on top of some other benefits that vary between cards.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Like, I get that this is SA and we need to argue for the argument's sake, but you do know that he means the penny as the smallest denomination of the currency (or unit) that makes up larger denominations like the quarter and the dollar? A quarter is 25 units of 'penny', a dollar is 100 units of 'penny', like the number 1 is the smallest non-fractional number, of which 1,000,000 units make up a million etc.

As previously mentioned, the dollar is our base unit, and low-denomination coins represent fractions thereof, rather than any of our coins/notes representing multiples of a base penny (i.e., the "cent" is not our base unit.) A US quarter is literally defined as a fourth of a dollar and not 25 pennies, as proven by literally every quarter ever, which have "QUARTER DOLLAR" displayed obviously on either the obverse or reverse of every coin.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gonz posted:

DraftKing and FanDuel advertisements are constant and insidious, and I can't wait until they're forced into "fly-by-night offshore operation" status.
This. Plus make uttering the phrase "big island pineapple" on a podcast, should be an executable offense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Seasonal web exclusive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjatG8QFoOk

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Camp Crystal Lake

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Camp Crystal Lake

It was a great sight gag. Unremarked, but appreciated.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0X-8tSgiuA

Get moist, bitches.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgOgdGpWqzQ

new vid

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I bet these guys are super sad they were on hiatus for Vanilla ISIS. I hope we get an episode anyway.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've seen a couple of people in this thread and elsewhere on the internet insist that Last Week Tonight is a news show and not a comedy show. They say that John Oliver uses comedy as a rhetorical tool to make a point about a topic. But John Oliver himself said that this is a comedy show, so if it continues to be stale this year, it's time to find a new defense.

So, yeah. New episode tomorrow! I'll play it by ear and decide whether to watch.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Y-Hat posted:

I've seen a couple of people in this thread and elsewhere on the internet insist that Last Week Tonight is a news show and not a comedy show. They say that John Oliver uses comedy as a rhetorical tool to make a point about a topic. But John Oliver himself said that this is a comedy show, so if it continues to be stale this year, it's time to find a new defense.

So, yeah. New episode tomorrow! I'll play it by ear and decide whether to watch.

Because no one ever pushed back on Stewart when he claimed to just be a comedian telling funnies.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gyges posted:

Because no one ever pushed back on Stewart when he claimed to just be a comedian telling funnies.

Yeah, the whole trouble with the format has never been one of intent, it's been a fundamental question about the function satire serves in media. It's not really one with a clear-cut answer, either, so it almost doesn't matter what Oliver or anyone else actually wants to achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Whatever John's intent might be, I just want this show to be worth tuning into on a regular basis again. He's certainly got the talent and the comedy pedigree to do so.

• Locked thread