Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's a game that basically nobody played because it's a Super Famicom game that came out in the year 2000, and only in Japan, in a (then) only moderately popular series

It also basically demands that you be good at the game, but not in a Dark Soulsy learn as you go way, in a way that basically required you to have mastered the gameplay using other games in the series

It's also a midquel to another game and the plot is extremely weird unless you've played that game, so even if someone played it because they heard it was really good, unless they also played Genealogy it's gonna be a lot less good for them

And also, while the good parts are absolutely loving incredible, it has a few moments of actual no excuses bullshit and depending on how you weight a game's final rating given its highs and its lows, you could decide that a consistently good game like Path of Radiance is better than a mostly-great but sometimes-terrible game like Thracia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

what surprises me the most is seeing vp2 above vp1

all i knew about vp2 was that it existed, i didn't know if it was actually good or not

It's the best JRPG on the PS2

e: it unfortunately demands that you master all of its systems, but in a way that like roadblocks you randomly if you didn't git gud during the easy parts, rather than ramping you up. I'd call that basically its only real flaw besides the generic flaws that come with all old games, like unskippable cutscenes

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Radiant Dawn completely neutering the support system just really soured me on the whole game, tbh

I like Valkyrie Profile 2 a lot but it's loving hard and I'm not actually very good at VP's combat system so I never finished it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

all i knew about vp2 was that it existed, i didn't know if it was actually good or not
vp2 is really good. it doesn't have the nice sprite work of vp1 and i think the individual character stories are weaker but the combat's still really fun and it's got a better plot than vp1 imo, mostly because it leans on lezard hard and lezard is the best vp character.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

cheetah7071 posted:

It's the best Fire Emblem actually

Rascyc posted:

???? It's like the best one. You don't see it on lists cause it's obscure and hard to play I guess? It just has a few rough edges.

I've nothing in particular against Thracia (although it's no Genealogy) but most people do tend to consider it the most player-unfriendly one in the series so you don't see much praise for it.

Guess it does have its fans though!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
There are a lot of extremely good games on that list but I question putting nep above most of them even if you do like the nep brand of humor

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only game on that list that I'm familiar with that I question belonging in a top 100 even of someone who is in love with anime is Ar Tonelico 3

The order of some of the others is weird but they all belong on the top 100 of someone who lives and breaths anime

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

the top nep is actually nepgear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ar tonelico 3 has extremely good music and i actually liked the characters and the endings were really, really sweet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i like that none of you are pointing out that i just called a touhou fangame the second best game of all time

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

ar tonelico 3 has extremely good music and i actually liked the characters and the endings were really, really sweet

The combat was so bad though. So so bad. I do appreciate it having male cheesecake supers though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's enough touhou fangames that one of them is bound to be the second best game of all time by sheer numbers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played through AT3 recently and thought it was okay, the combat was quick which is the best I can hope for in a JRPG usually.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Endorph posted:

also i like that none of you are pointing out that i just called a touhou fangame the second best game of all time

I legitimately had no idea what that game was, so I just focused on the stuff I actually recognized

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Fantasy Maiden Wars owns and I need the fourth one to come out tomorrow

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
No mana khemia? what the gently caress

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I only saw the list now but I was gonna say I never pegged you for an FMW fan.
But with all the SRWs and FEs there it makes sense.

Exaggerated or not though FMW3 is so good for its budget.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fmw is the only srpg to ever get bosses right

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

now none of you shall ever call me a troll again. these are the beauties and flowers of life for men and women, for both sexes.

>trolling the rpg thread posting about non-rpg games

my list has to be shorter because i've probably finished a hundred games in my time, so idk top twenty?

1) Final Fantasy 9
1) Lost Odyssey
1) Mother 3
4) Suikoden
5) Grandia 1
6) Cave Story
7) Pokemon Mystery Dungeon time/darkness/sky
8) FF6
9) Crystal Chronicles
10) Earthbound
11) Wild Arms 3
12) Suikoden 2
13) Star Ocean 2
14) Crystalis--seriously it's like the sole reason that i'm so stuck on hybrid science fiction/fantasy as a genre and post-post apocalypse settings
15) Darius Twin
16) Kirby Super Star
17) Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations
18) sim city 1 on the snes (forill)
19) Ogre Battle MotBQ
20) idk probably civ 4

honorable mention pokemon dppt because the soundtrack, and left 4 dead because it helped me get over childhood trauma involving unnecessarily gory movies about undeads

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I only agreed to like 10 across everyone's list

Is is what the deep rabbit hole of goons is

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The best game of all time is a tie between Thousand year door, Yakuza 3 and Ghost Trick.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey dudes, I want to ask a question and I'm not trolling and I genuinely am looking for a genuine answer:

What is good about Neptunia? Why does anyone like it?

I watched my girlfriend play a little bit of it, and it was like...two still pictures of large-breasted girls who fight over whose breasts are bigger (the pictures don't move or anything; sometimes they're swapped with other pictures) and this goes on for a long while, and then comes what looks like the clunkiest 3D RPG, like, graphics it looks okay, I guess. Like PS2 era graphics, but the gameplay looks and feels like a PS1 experiment.

I'm not trying to be mean. I want to say, this was my impression, and my girlfriend's too who pretty much stopped playing at this point. It looked like a weird fetish game, like some game about boobs in which there's this little RPG element thrown in to make it legitimate. But no, these games are insanely popular and there's a ton of them.

So what is it about these games that's appealing? Could I possibly be convinced it's worth playing, or is it a very niche kind of thing?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

credburn posted:

So what is it about these games that's appealing?

quote:

large-breasted girls who fight over whose breasts are bigger

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
did your girlfriend like it at least?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

credburn posted:

Hey dudes, I want to ask a question and I'm not trolling and I genuinely am looking for a genuine answer:

What is good about Neptunia? Why does anyone like it?

I watched my girlfriend play a little bit of it, and it was like...two still pictures of large-breasted girls who fight over whose breasts are bigger (the pictures don't move or anything; sometimes they're swapped with other pictures) and this goes on for a long while, and then comes what looks like the clunkiest 3D RPG, like, graphics it looks okay, I guess. Like PS2 era graphics, but the gameplay looks and feels like a PS1 experiment.

I'm not trying to be mean. I want to say, this was my impression, and my girlfriend's too who pretty much stopped playing at this point. It looked like a weird fetish game, like some game about boobs in which there's this little RPG element thrown in to make it legitimate. But no, these games are insanely popular and there's a ton of them.

So what is it about these games that's appealing? Could I possibly be convinced it's worth playing, or is it a very niche kind of thing?

People play 'em for the lightheartedness, self-referential humor, fanservice, etc. They're over-the-top anime nonsense and not particularly difficult to play, and sometimes that's exactly what people look for after a long day.

Judging by your post I'm going to go ahead and say that they're not going to be your thing at all and you're probably better off playing something else.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

>trolling the rpg thread posting about non-rpg games

14) Crystalis--seriously it's like the sole reason that i'm so stuck on hybrid science fiction/fantasy as a genre and post-post apocalypse settings

Someone knows where it's at. Crystalis was one of the first RPGs I had ever played and it left a permanent scar imprint on my taste in games and reading genre, I think.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

anyway since all you motherfuckers call me a troll, here is *my* 100 games of all time.

now none of you shall ever call me a troll again. these are the beauties and flowers of life for men and women, for both sexes.

How does this otherwise mostly rad list not have Planet Robobot at the top ten when Super Star's like #14?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I beat Odin Sphere on PS4. The stories are suppose to connect right? If so then why does the wizard controlling Belial die in Cornelius's ending but turns into a Pooka in Mercedes's ending?
The Let's Play is up to that point. A Halja gives that Pooka in Mercede's game a harecut.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I still hum crystalis music to this day.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I could barely make a top ten and we got fuckers throwing out top hundo lists, poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My top 100 is just me playing Super Metroid 100 times in a row

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

crtl + f = shadow hearts

0 results

Wrong.

jrpgs arent actually good

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

My top 100 is just me playing Super Metroid 100 times in a row

i'll allow it

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The Colonel posted:

Vp2 doesn't have that great of a story or soundtrack, but it's gameplay is a lot better.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
say what, VP2 has a kickass battle theme.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Rascyc posted:

I think if you retitle that list to The One Hundred Greatest Games of My Life and fix your navigation (ie don't use Tumblr) then you'd both avoid a lot of argumentative headaches and also get more people to read it.

I'll move it to a different site and repost it.

What website do you think I should use? I've been looking for a new one.

Endorph posted:

anyway since all you motherfuckers call me a troll, here is *my* 100 games of all time.

Thanks for sharing.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 14, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Grozz Nuy posted:

My issue with the original Odin Sphere was mostly that it ran like poo poo. The amazing art was a lot harder to enjoy with the framerate constantly chugging and it made the combat a lot less fun for me as well.

I've been meaning to try the rerelease at some point, maybe if it goes on sale.

The PAL PS2 version of original Odin Sphere fixes 90% of the slowdown issues and is incredibly good. Shame it took them until the PAL release to figure out whatever the hell wrong they did with that game's engine.

Also going to agree that VP2 is better overall than VP1. Even despite some of the dumb poo poo it does, and the cool aspects of the first game that it lost.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
VP2 has some of my favorite sakuraba tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Is there any downside to multiclassing in Voidspire Tactics? I'm not really sure what I should be doing here.