Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MockingQuantum posted:

Dang, I've played all of these. Maybe I've drained the genre dry...

How's Voidspire Tactics? Also I saw Bastard Bonds recommended a few pages back, but I have no idea if that was a joke or not. The game looks very... masculine.

Voidspire Tactics is very, very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah I'd agree with that, I've seen my wife play through WA3 a handful of times. Seems fun, but she's a completion of and holy crap is that a long endgame if you're into doing everything.

WA3 has quite possibly the worst bonus dungeon ever. The Abyss is 100 randomly generated floors that will take you like 7-8 hours to traverse, IF you skip the random encounters. There are no save points, and if you leave and re-enter, you have to start from floor 1 all over again. You have to dedicate an entire day to finishing it. Better hope you don't wipe to the superbosses on the bottom floors!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Bastard Bonds is very, very gay. It's also a good game, so if I can muscle through constant T&A in every goddamn mainstream RPG to get to the gameplay, you can do the same :colbert:

Fair enough argument. I actually have pretty low tolerance for T&A heavy games and haven't enjoyed many recent RPG offerings for that reason, but I kinda want to play Bastard Bonds in part because if people want muscly men in their games instead of anime waifus, I feel like the option should exist. Plus it sounds like it's a good game, so I'll give it a spin.

corn in the bible posted:

Voidspire Tactics is very, very good.

Sold. I really dig the artwork too, even if it seems like it might be a little simple in places. I am a sucker for retro style pixel art.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryWeb/status/841146016623607813

New Compile Heart RPG in production for PS Vita.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Bastard Bonds is... good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yoko Taro had some cool things to say at PAX East:

Localization:

quote:

While at times there is censorship in regards to certain materials, Yoko-san continued, no changes were made to the game due to those factors. Of course, with regards to different cultures between Japan and North America and Europe, the developers feel that it’s best to have the localization team use the best expressions that would be fitting for each regions, and that kind of expressions may change, but then again, Yoko-san doesn’t understand English very well, so even if they did change everything, he wouldn’t notice.

His mask:

quote:

He also explained why he wears his iconic mask: he personally doesn’t believe that creators should be in the eye in the public. To give an analogy, if he found out that that the erotic novel he’s enjoying is written by a middle-aged man, he’d be disappointed. That’s kind of the reason why he doesn’t want to show his face in public.

2B's high heels:

quote:

To a question asking why a combat android wears high heels, Yoko Taro answered that the game is set 10,000 years in the future, so when he tried to imagine what it would be like, he thought about how it was 10,000 years ago, and people back then probably would not have been able to imagine what it would be like nowadays. That’s why he decided to think freely and willfully about it. Since a lot of western games feature space marines and that kind of concept, he let his ideas flow freely and came up with a girl wearing heels in the future. Yet, the biggest reason is simply that he just really likes girls.

Got this all from here it has a video of the Q&A at the bottom:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/03/12/yoko-taro-nier-automata-protagonist-2b-wears-high-heels-just-really-like-girls/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yet, the biggest reason is simply that he just really likes girls.

Fuckin' bless this man

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

U-DO Burger posted:

WA3 has quite possibly the worst bonus dungeon ever. The Abyss is 100 randomly generated floors that will take you like 7-8 hours to traverse, IF you skip the random encounters. There are no save points, and if you leave and re-enter, you have to start from floor 1 all over again. You have to dedicate an entire day to finishing it. Better hope you don't wipe to the superbosses on the bottom floors!
The Abyss is only a couple hours and it is easy to avoid every random encounter. There are far worse mega dungeons in other games. Now Arioch can gently caress the gently caress off. That may take all day.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

U-DO Burger posted:

C'mon man, it's like three hours tops, and that's with Ragu Ragla :colbert:

And, in fact, it's straight-up designed for you to evade most of the encounters since unlocking the door on each floor requires you to pick up a bunch of white crystals, which recharge your encounter-dodging meter.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 13, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

huh, well the only time I did that dungeon was in my first playthrough years ago when the game first came out, and it took me about that long. Guess I was just slow at RPGs back then. Really though, a few hours of navigating mazes with no save points is still incredibly bad dungeon design.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yoko Taro had some cool things to say at PAX East:
Got this all from here it has a video of the Q&A at the bottom:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/03/12/yoko-taro-nier-automata-protagonist-2b-wears-high-heels-just-really-like-girls/
As someone who was there, I just want to stress this that you didn't quote: the "poo poo Square Enix" line at the end of the "NIER AUTOMATA T-SHIRT" video is because he was on the third take and really tired of rolling on the ground and then they told him to keep rolling and he got mad and they kept it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

C'mon man, it's like three hours tops, and that's with Ragu Ragla :colbert:

And, in fact, it's straight-up designed for you to evade most of the encounters since unlocking the door on each floor requires you to pick up a bunch of white crystals, which recharge your encounter-dodging meter.
I kept falling off the map to avoid encounters.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

About to start Raidou 2 on the ps3. Any tips I should know? I'm usually super OCD about missables in games but I'm trying to be better about not having my nose in a guide the whole time, this game gonna drive me crazy on that front? Didn't play the first btw.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I beat Odin Sphere on PS4. The stories are suppose to connect right? If so then why does the wizard controlling Belial die in Cornelius's ending but turns into a Pooka in Mercedes's ending?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I beat Odin Sphere on PS4. The stories are suppose to connect right? If so then why does the wizard controlling Belial die in Cornelius's ending but turns into a Pooka in Mercedes's ending?

It's been a long time, but I remember in the PS2 version there was a literal timeline somewhere in the menus, so you can check out how those events compare? There's also three wizards (I think) so maybe you got two of them confused? Again, it's been a long time so I could be wildly off base

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A little off-topic, but I made a 100 Greatest Video Games of All-Time list. I worked on it for a year and I posted it around and it's been getting some love. I wanted to share it with you guys. I know I will get grinded here due to some unorthodox picks, but I'd rather have made an honest list than a dishonest one to be in line with others.

EDIT - "Where's game X?" If the game isn't on here and it's known for being extremely good then I either haven't played it or it has been so long since I've played it that I feel like I can't properly rank it due to me not knowing whether or not it held up well. All the games on the list were games I played/revisited over a ten year period. Though there are a few critically acclaimed games that I didn't enjoy much. One in particular that people often SHARPLY disagree with me over.

cheetah7071 posted:

It's been a long time, but I remember in the PS2 version there was a literal timeline somewhere in the menus, so you can check out how those events compare? There's also three wizards (I think) so maybe you got two of them confused? Again, it's been a long time so I could be wildly off base

You should play the PS4 version. It is incredible and basically a different game. The PS2 version is on there too. One of the best games of all-time.

It would have gone on my life above if I made it today.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 14, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

A little off-topic, but I made a 100 Greatest Video Games of All-Time list. I worked on it for a year and I posted it around and it's been getting some love. I wanted to share it with you guys. I know I will get grinded here due to some unorthodox picks, but I'd rather have made an honest list than a dishonest one to be in line with others.

You should play the PS4 version. It is incredible and basically a different game. The PS2 version is on there too. One of the best games of all-time.

It would have gone on my life above if I made it today.

Does it fix my main issue, which is that every combat is a slog of way too much HP and every dungeon is a metaslog of way too many combats?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah stuff dies real quick at least on Normal though that might be a bit too easy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

crtl + f = shadow hearts

0 results

Wrong.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Does it fix my main issue, which is that every combat is a slog of way too much HP and every dungeon is a metaslog of way too many combats?

The combat system is fantastic and one of the best I've played in a 2D game. Dungeons are still pretty long, but the combat makes them much more enjoyable. The combat is no longer stamina based as you don't get tired if you run out of PP. And there are plenty of takes and ways to chain combos with a nice physics system. The game feels like a 2D Devil May Cry at times. I'd say that each dungeon map takes 30 minutes to complete. Boss battles can take a while though. However, this is under the hard difficulty which I played due to the game being too easy on normal. There is also no slowdown and zero grinding what so ever.

Endorph posted:

crtl + f = shadow hearts

0 results

Wrong.

I've never played it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tsch... then taste my blade.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm actually really glad to hear that, because I remember the story being really good and the spritework is as amazing as ever for a Vanillaware game but the original is basically unplayable as an adult without patience for slogs

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm actually really glad to hear that, because I remember the story being really good and the spritework is as amazing as ever for a Vanillaware game but the original is basically unplayable as an adult without patience for slogs

I can understand why one may not have liked the original Odin Sphere. Some saw it as the Project X Zone for action RPGs as it had gorgeous artwork but had an absurdly long length without the gameplay to back it up. I always argued with people that Odin Sphere actually had pretty good gameplay, it was just a different type of action RPG as it focused on how you approach your enemy and the most efficient way to use your alchemy. But nevertheless Leifthrasir updates the game hugely with a ton of stuff to make the length feel much more warranted. It's like going from Street Fighter II: World Warrior straight to Super Street Fighter II: Turbo in terms of gameplay.

It's unfortunate that Odin Sphere's bad reputation gave Vanillaware the title of "all style no substance" developer. In reality all of there titles have pretty good gameplay. Grimgrimoire is an interesting RTS game, Muramasa is a nice return to form of the sidescrolling action genre, Dragon's Crown is a great modern beat-em-up, etc.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 14, 2017

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
My issue with the original Odin Sphere was mostly that it ran like poo poo. The amazing art was a lot harder to enjoy with the framerate constantly chugging and it made the combat a lot less fun for me as well.

I've been meaning to try the rerelease at some point, maybe if it goes on sale.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think if you retitle that list to The One Hundred Greatest Games of My Life and fix your navigation (ie don't use Tumblr) then you'd both avoid a lot of argumentative headaches and also get more people to read it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway since all you motherfuckers call me a troll, here is *my* 100 games of all time.

1: melty blood actress again current code
2: fantasy maiden wars i
3: shadow hearts covenant
4: fire emblem thracia 776
5: advance wars 2
6: hyperdimension neptunia v-ii
7: breath of fire iv
8: yggdra union: we'll never fight alone
9: marvel vs capcom 2
10: god hand
11: tales of berseria
12: blaze union
13: valkyrie profile: covenant of the plume
14: kirby superstar
15: tales of the abyss
16: neverwinter nights 2: mask of the betrayer
17: tales of destiny director's cut
18: ar tonelico 2
19: star fox 64
20: soul nomad and the world eaters
21: kindred spirits on the roof
22: tales of xillia
23: the legend of heroes: trails of cold steel
24: king of fighters 2002 ultimate match
25: guilty gear xx accent core +
26: ar tonelico 3
27: the world ends with you
28: the legend of zelda: majora's mask
29: atelier escha and logy
30: phantom brave
31: devil may cry 3
32: pirate warriors 3
33: fantasy maiden wars p
34: ar tonelico
35: suikoden 2
36: fire emblem: the binding blade
37: valkyrie profile 2
38: samurai shodown v special
39: ar nosurge
40: valkyrie profile
41: okami
42: paper mario: the thousand year door
43: witcher 3: hearts of stone
44: tales of rebirth
45: the legend of heroes trails of cold steel 2
46: harvest moon 64
47: megaman battle network 6
48: guilty gear xrd - revelator -
49: koudelka
50: gundam vs gundam extreme vs maxi boost ON
51: total war warhammer
52: unreal tournament 2004
53: disgaea 2
54: kingdom hearts 2
55: super mario rpg
56: baroque (wii)
57: odin sphere leftihriseierasidadia yes
58: super robot wars v
59: shin megami tensei digital devil saga 2
60: fire emblem the blazing sword
61: fire emblem: genealogy of the holy war
62: touhou 7 perfect cherry blossom
63: devil may cry 4 special edition
64: paper mario
65: final fantasy 9
66: street fighter 3 3rd strike
67: skies of arcadia
68: riviera: the promisd land
69: fire emblem radiant dawn
70: tales of phantasia x
71: hyperdimension neptunia victory
72: etrian odyssey 3
73: dragon quest 8
74: wild arms 3
75: ar no surge
76: project diva f 2nd
77: yakuza 0
78: dynasty warriors 8 xl
79: final fantasy 5
80: tales of xillia 2
81: fire emblem path of radiance
82: tales of destiny 2
83: the last remnant
84: super robot wars a portable
85: fire emblem: the sacred stones
86: final fantasy 7
87: the legend of heroes trails in the sky sc
88: kotor 2
89: under night in birth exe late
90: lost oddysey
91: tears to tiara 2
92: dragon ball z budokai 3
93: tales of eternia
94: persona 3 portable
95: final fantasy 13: lightning returns
96: witcher 3
97: super robot wars md
98: fate/extra
99: fire emblem fates: conquest
100: legend of cao cao

now none of you shall ever call me a troll again. these are the beauties and flowers of life for men and women, for both sexes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Isn't srw a portable the one with infamously inflated HP counts or something

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

anyway since all you motherfuckers call me a troll, here is *my* 100 games of all time.

7: breath of fire iv

What the poo poo is this mess Endorph? Breath of Fire IV's only in 7th place, what the hell, man?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Melty Blood, more like Melty Poo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There are some extremely weird picks on there but mostly I come away with an admiration of your dedication to the anime game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hell, i can agree with pretty much every game on that list that i have actually played

except marvel vs capcom 2, only a troll would list marvel vs capcom 2

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I was with you (while filtering out all nep nep games) until SRW MD. That game has no right being on any list imo.

Also what did Etrian Odyssey 4 do to you?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

hell, i can agree with pretty much every game on that list that i have actually played

except marvel vs capcom 2, only a troll would list marvel vs capcom 2

A troll would list MvC 3

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I don't think I've ever seen Thracia 776 on anyone's top 5 Fire Emblem games list, let alone top 5 games of all time list.

But I'm cool with that list, overall.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

Isn't srw a portable the one with infamously inflated HP counts or something

no that's mx portable, a portable is the one where nobody can hit for poo poo for the first 20ish maps and texas mack is the lynchpin of your offense

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kanfy posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Thracia 776 on anyone's top 5 Fire Emblem games list, let alone top 5 games of all time list.

It's the best Fire Emblem actually

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kanfy posted:

???? It's like the best one. You don't see it on lists cause it's obscure and hard to play I guess? It just has a few rough edges.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Binding Blade over Blazing Sword, Radiant Dawn over Path of Radiance? smh

Shadow Hearts: Covenant is so good though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

radiant dawn has way tighter map design and the dawn brigade being useless pieces of poo poo is the most interesting character balance in the entire series. binding blade is just my personal pref tho

edit: also i didn't like the way eo4 locked off clases and the skyship stuff felt way more time-wastey than the ship stuff in 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what surprises me the most is seeing vp2 above vp1

all i knew about vp2 was that it existed, i didn't know if it was actually good or not